Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac

Options
  • 19-08-2006 6:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey... I've applied to the CAO this year using a FETAC award I finished earlier in the year (didn't do the leaving). Just wondering if there are any others who've applied via FETAC. Does anyone know how competitive it is to get a place? I know there are not many places reserved, but I'm not sure as to the number of people applying this way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Have a look at this. They don't say how many places are put aside for FETAC. What do you want to study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 metaral

Yeah I've read that information before I just don't know how competitive it is. I guess it doesn't matter though as I'll be finding out my offers in about 14 hours :)

I'm hoping to get into IADT - multimedia programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Might be worth contacting the college concerned. Also some courses go to vacant places and you might be eligable for one of those.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the info. I didn't get my first choice but was offered my 2nd choice. I'm now thinking of waiting a year until I'm a mature student so as to have more options. I really only wanted my first choice. Contemplation.

Ok here's another question for you:

During round one offers are offers only made straight off or do more offers come in during this time? It's confusing me cause a lot of people get offered a course from their level 8 choices as well as one from their level 6/7 choices - which would mean as they can only accept one - that one would then be made available. Are these then offered as they become available or does it wait until round 2? Cause it seems like a hell of a lot of courses wouldn't be offered until round 2 this way. And I didn't think many were offered in round 2. Any clarification?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

On average how much more likely are you to get a place on a course after having done a FETAC course rather than applying on the basis of LC points.

I would think you're much LESS likely to get a place on a course having done FETAC than with the LC. But it depends on how you do on each.

Only some courses in some colleges accept FETAC and they have a very limited amount of places held for these people. Also at least half if not most of these courses require specific FETAC awards (not "any" which is the case for some). So if you know what course you want to get make sure you do the correct FETAC award it requires and that you get all of the module requirements (some require maths, some require up to 5 specific modules and a minimum mark in each). On the other hand if you apply to a course that accepts ANY FETAC award there are bound to be a lot more people applying for it, and you're much less likely to get in. Which is probably what happened in my case.

Not sure if that's what you were asking but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

What I meant was let's say you do your leaving cert and either don't get the points for your course or fail something like maths, you then get a fetac course that's considered acceptable as a means of entry for the course you wanted. Would you be considered more favourably then if you just had the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I would imagine it all comes down to percentages. The number of people applying for a certain course based on having gained a FETAC would be a small percentage of the overall applicants. However, the number of places available, although quite limited, might represent a bigger percentage of available places than the percentage of FETAC applicants. I hope this makes some sense. Just don't give up.

I found out some more information about it.

I suppose I am more pessimistic as I didn't get into my first choice course despite having full marks on my FETAC certificate. But take into account:

Some courses accept people with only specific FETAC certs (so the numbers applying would be much less). The on I applied to accepted applicants with ANY FETAC award so I am guessing I didn't get in simply because of numbers.

But...

Some Institutes of Technology no longer allocate places for FETAC applicants but throw them in with Leaving Cert students in the fight for points (highest marks you can achieve with FETAC in comparison is 400 which should get you quite a lot of places really). I heard that the majority of IT's are now doing this but not all of them.

It all depends on what you want. Each college is different. You should look into it more because it could be a really good way to go (with good chances) but it also could be the other way around.

If enough courses interest you that are accessible via FETAC then definitely go for it I'd say as long as you do well enough you have a good chance of getting into at least one of them. I think I am just too picky really. I had my heart set on my first choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement