Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stonemason costs?

Options
  • 19-08-2006 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

Hi,we are planning to stone 2 front gable of our house and the front of the garage, have estimated it to be approx 63 squared metres. Would anyone have any idea what it would cost to have this fitted. The stone is being delivered from donegal to meath so as it will be on site it is only the labour that is the problem. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Not sure about the costs but there are plenty of people building stone walls around Trim. In fact there are a group of guys this morning building a stone wall at a new development outside the town on the dublin road just after the petrol station & roundabout as you approach trim from ublin. I t might be worth it to track them down and get a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

As far as I can think the rough price for stonemasons is about €100 a square metre Well it seems to be that around Cork anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

I know two guys who did excellent walls for a house we built in Wicklow, they are now working in Meath.
    Do you want their details?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi, thanks for all the help, I would like to know about the guys from Wicklow, did they work per metre squared with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

They cost about €100/m2 and were not registered for vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi,

I will PM you the number of a Lithuanian guy who did my house. He has done plenty of work in the meath and dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi, would anyone have an idea on the time scale these guys work at, is it so many square metre per day/week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Do not risk daily rates, get a fixed square metre rate, between 80 and 120 per sq metre with all tools and hassles sorted by the mason.

Without any mixers, generators etc you could be hiring extras, the weather may slow down the job meaning extra hire costs, you may be constantly off to get petrol for them, loss of your time and patience, etc, etc.

Check the quality of three of their last jobs, confirm they are the same crew doing the actual work from happy customers, check their work by the amount of neatly dressed squarish stone in any given square metre and not rough old undressed stone with buckets of overly applied mortar in big and small gaps all over the place.

When you get a good mason make sure the stone he asks for is of a good working quality. You could have the ropiest old hard to work stone that would drive a good mason cracked, and put the job price right up.

There are some pure novice wallers about, and there are many properly trained masons some exceptional, some perfectionists and still work to the square metre. Don't always go for the lowest price, weigh all the odds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Ginger,
    Where in Meath are you based? I recently got my house done by Guys I’d recommend to anyone!!! (North kildare)
    Their work is excellent, and they are resonably priced aswell. If your interested PM me, I'll send you a photo of my place and their number.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Advertisement