Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Opinion

• 19-08-2006 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭

Okay since we seem to be getting very close to the big shiny bf2142, with a beta of 2142 and also soon (we think) to be released 1.4 patch for bf2 which will more than likely be the end of patch support for BF2. I thought that it might be a good idea to find out people's end opinions of BF2. Wether you have been playing a week or a year (or whatever) id like to hear your opinion.

What was your favourite version of bf2 (patch wise), favourite weapon / class, favourite map, favourite vehicle??? And of course what were all your least favourite of all the above too??? :D

For me I feel rightly violated after playing bf2 since the demo over a year ago now, to have gone through all the crap with patches, exploits, glitches etc i really do feel like i wasted a year of my life, but it had some good points, bf2 was, like bfv, a very fun game when you had the right standard of players on the same server, a game with good heli pilots/gunners or plane pilots on both sides would mean you wouldnt be getting raped from the air the whole time and have a good long game. But as we've all experienced if you have a one sided team or your a certain side on a map you usually get walked all over.

My favourite map by far is Sharqi Penisula 64, favourite class is sniper with the svd as the best sniper rifle in the game. The helicopters are a huge difference from what they were in bfv and imo an improvement! Worst has to be the unbalanced jets, a j-10 pwns everything with a mig winning over the f-35b. Worst map by far is Operation Clean Sweep, the worst map ever created, 1 uncap over water from the main island with 3,4,9 flags depending on map sizes. If the USMC don't get off the uncap in the first few minutes they won't throughtout the rest of the game.

Anyway theres a poll also to do with bf2142, so vote away. :D

Will You Buy BF2142 40 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    60% 24 votes
    I'll Stick With BF2 Until ET:QW comes out
    25% 10 votes
    I'm going to play World of Warcraft
    15% 6 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm not interested in it, the sci-fi setting just doesn't grab my attention and seems fairly generic. You can relate to the realworld weapons, settings and politics of the all the previous games, but that's all gone in 2142.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Spear, It really isn't sci-fi as such. I know there are a LOT of weapons that don't exist IRL but it's not set in the too diftant future.

I would have said "No' before the beta testing. I'll probably say "Yes" now.

Teamplay is much stronger (also maybe due to the people I'm playing with atm) and in some ways if everyone goes medic then everyone dies. The game seems to force players to choose different kits and work together.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ponster wrote:
    Spear, It really isn't sci-fi as such. I know there are a LOT of weapons that don't exist IRL but it's not set in the too diftant future.

I would have said "No' before the beta testing. I'll probably say "Yes" now.

Teamplay is much stronger (also maybe due to the people I'm playing with atm) and in some ways if everyone goes medic then everyone dies. The game seems to force players to choose different kits and work together.

I'll still try the demo, I'm not going to write it off completely, but I am very skeptical.

And while it's not that sci-fi, there's something about running around the middle east with an AK that's just fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

R0ot wrote:

What was your favourite version of bf2 (patch wise), favourite weapon / class, favourite map, favourite vehicle??? And of course what were all your least favourite of all the above too??? :D

For me I feel rightly violated after playing bf2 since the demo over a year ago now, to have gone through all the crap with patches, exploits, glitches etc i really do feel like i wasted a year of my life, but it had some good points, bf2 was, like bfv, a very fun game when you had the right standard of players on the same server,

Patchwise they were all as bad as each other implementing new problems into the game so i will go with 1.03

Anything that has an ak.

Mashtuur followed by songhua.

Probably a jeep seeing as there was more satisfaction escaping from armour/helis in them.

I don't think ea have done themselves any favours with their total contempt for the consumer regarding patching the game or the changes the patches implemented both good and bad.BF2 sold 8/9 million copies and had 3000 servers at it's peak , i would be surprised if 2142 gets half of what it did.I will get the free demo and probably wait a month or two after the full game comes out and read up what peeps think of it.POE2 will keep me entertained if 2142 isn't up to scratch.Roll on ETQW tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Plain and simiply NO

I only bought BF2 cos DC was the best, and BF2 has been a big let down. EA have screwed enough money out of me, im taking my business elsewhere.
    d22ontour wrote:
    Roll on ETQW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

DEN DEN DEN

Tbh the music sells it for me ....im weak.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No, ETQW will relegate it to the shelf anyway. My money is better spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

No

But maybe for different reasons . I have enjoyed BF2 and still do . I am not into which patch was best as I come from a playing backround of a mod for ut99 which had a fair few patches over the years which both improved and changed the gameplay . So except for the server srashes and ctd's I don't get over excited about patches , this is the game I want to play with my mates so i get on and get used to the new patch , if I don't I can't play with my mates anymore so whats the point .

Like Spear , the whole futuristic thing doesn't appeal to me , if anything it's backwards I would rather go .

Fav waepon , get used to them all in different situations , fav vehicle , the buggy , great fun tearing around a map , fav map , don't really mind any of them as long as there are enough ppl on the server ie: Dragon Valley in 64 player with less than 30 ppl is very boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yes.

but i don't know why... i had no interest until all the gameplay footage came out. just kind of got my jittery like bf2 did.

that's not to say i wont invest in et:qw... fact is, i'll probably spend more time on qw anyway... but i'll at least give 2142 a shot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

My vote (for what it's worth) is to 'stick with BF2 until ET:QW hits the shelves.

I'm absolutely happy with BF2 (patch hell not withstanding, and the endless bugs). I usually last a few weeks, maybe months with most games, but since I got my hands on BF2 I haven't played any other games with the exception of HL2:EP1 - which barely counts as it was only 3.5-4 hours of fun anyway.

I'll continue to play online with BF2 until such time as ET:QW hits because prior to BF2 I was hooked on ET, so it's all a logical progression I guess ;)

No interest in BF2142. It's basically the same game with different graphics.. nothing new there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have to fully agree with spear there. And how can ya say a game set 130 years in the future is not sifi, the bloofy xfires was sifi and that was the present. Hell I think Jonathan archer from star trek was born around that time. Still the game modes sound good but they could have just brought Lavitan to BF2 I always thought the iorn gator level would have been cool with 2 air craft carriers side by side battleing it out.
    Also with the bf2 engine its not gona look any better really its just more of the same with a different look and feel to it. I would have prefered if they had brought out Bf1942 2. imaging 1942 with weapons as good as COD with the graphics of BF2. I always thought the infantry weapons let 1942 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yeah I'll probably buy it. I'll wait a week or two and see what the initial impressions are. I love sci fi and I've enjoyed BF so far so it sounds like an interesting mix.

MECHS!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I have to fully agree with spear there. And how can ya say a game set 130 years in the future is not sifi.

Because there are no lasers :)

Ponster wrote:
    Because there are no lasers :)

Theres no freaking lasers?! Booo!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Zillah wrote:
    Theres no freaking lasers?! Booo!

Why don't you and the laser get a freaking room?

I'm buying it, I'm EA's bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Silverfish wrote:
    I'm buying it, I'm EA's bitch.

Yes, yes you are! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

I'm going to play World of Warcraft................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭PrivateSmokey

ill be your dog... bitch:D

Ill buy the lot dont see the point in not buying them:rolleyes:

Silverfish wrote:
    Why don't you and the laser get a freaking room?

Yah hah! The lasers and I got an apartment together last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got bored of BF2 long ago.
    Far better infantry games like DOD,DODS and COD,CODUO.
    Still not sure if ill bother with 2142.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Yes im gonna buy it, Im gonna but it all including the 14 patches they will bring out...

Why...Cuz i got married and lifes now a bitch and all i have in my sad life is bf2:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

nope, bf 2 had such promise and it seemed to get worse with every patch,rank system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 -=B.A.D=-tony

those future based games never appealed to me halo quake etc,
    ive boulght every battlefield game + expansion pack since bf1942
    id like to say im stickin with bf2 but the clan i played with have gone back to BFV since 1.3
    and ive had so much trouble with the game ive hrdly played it at all

mashtuur city my fav map.....landmines my fav weapon
    the game was best for me when one of the early patches came out 2nd or 3rd one

Advertisement