Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveline with Derek Davis

• 19-08-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I like this actually. I find his style more easy on the ear. Its better than the agenda driven, chip on the shoulder, mass hysteria of Joe Duffy who is back after next week so it will be classicfm at that time for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I find that Davis tends to assume that most of the listeners are slow learners for example:

Mary: Derek my taxi to the airport cost €60.

Davis: How much?

Mary: €60 and another thing...

Davis: Hold on a minute, did you say €60.

Mary: Yea and I...

Davis: Lets get this straight. You were charged sixty euro to go to the Airport?

Mary: Yes but I just want....

Davis: Folks we are talking six zero here, not six....

WTF? We heard her first time Derek - get on with it. We are not imbeciles, and we don't need to constantly know how long you have been in journalism!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Joe Duffy does have a certain agenda (the usual leftish one!) but this summer Davis has been doing my head in too.

I know he loves his fishing and aquatic pursuits but bearly two days goes by without him managing to do a feature on same.

Both Duffy and Davis have a bad habit of repeating, nay labouring simple points for some sort of effect.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I prefer Derek Davis to Duffy. Davis is very underused in RTÉ, and its welcome when he does Liveline. A breath of fresh air. The show is more listenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I find that Davis tends to assume that most of the listeners are slow learners for example:

Davis: Lets get this straight. You were charged sixty euro to go to the Airport?

WTF? We heard her first time Derek - get on with it. We are not imbeciles, and we don't need to constantly know how long you have been in journalism!

100% right on all counts.... spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Derek Davis is undoubtedly one of the best broadcasters in RTÉ. I wonder what he does for the rest of the year, when he's not presenting Liveline? He's desperately underused, and would probably have made an excellent presenter of the Late Late Show.

• Advertisement

Does'nt he do an occasional tv series about er Sailing?

Mike.

Ray777 wrote:
    Derek Davis is undoubtedly one of the best broadcasters in RTÉ. I wonder what he does for the rest of the year,

Eating in restaurants, boating and fishing. It's seems to be all that he is interested in.

He was a good RTE newsreader though and should have stayed at it.

Sounds like a good lifestyle to me!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

derek always talks over people too!
    i could join in in a big crying session with joe but i could'nt do that with derek,joe plucks my heart strings when he has a sad story on his hands and his voice gets lower,he hums a bit and says oh my god tut tut thats terrible sighs and says we're gonna take a break come back to us after this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Beats listening to Evelyn O'Rourke hmming and hahing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Don't forget Derek's answer to "How are you?":

"I'm the finest!":)

That expression should be rationed!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wertz wrote:
    Beats listening to Evelyn O'Rourke hmming and hahing...
    She is the worst imho. I hate it when she fills in for Gerry Ryan. :mad:

derek always talks over people too!
    i could join in in a big crying session with joe but i could'nt do that with derek,joe plucks my heart strings when he has a sad story on his hands and his voice gets lower,he hums a bit and says oh my god tut tut thats terrible sighs and says we're gonna take a break come back to us after this

Yer right..true friend of the workin man;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I think DD was better in previous years....

Anyone remember the huge fuss he made about the enormous pile of toxic slack the mining company left on the mountain in Silvermines? (it's still there BTW)

I wonder was he told to tone down the slightly radical tone. He's gone all pink and fluffy!

As for Evelyn O'Rourke... well she AND Avril Hoare should be barred from the airwaves. Bloody awful! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

But many of the callers are imbeciles, Derek Davis is feigning interest. Who gives a hoot about someone being charged €60 for a taxi when there are far more important issues to discuss. Even Ray D'arcy commented on this when doing a Joe Duffy impression, "Hello Joe I know nothing but i have an opinion on everything". I find Duffy very aggressive almost loutish when a caller might suggest an idea that doesn't square with his pc agenda driven world. The mass hysteria generated around magic mushrooms and Mr A going free illustrate this. Another favourite theme of his is his sycophantic ramblings about Eamonn Casey and the 1979 papal youth mass at Galway. Also what about those bunch of wasters that gather on the last Friday with their stab at humour.

Well Joe obviously thinks they are hilarious...the more pronounced the Dubbalin accent the better... anyway when did RTE ever give a fiddlers what the listeners think??

mickd wrote:
    Derek Davis is feigning interest. Who gives a hoot about someone being charged €60 for a taxi when there are far more important issues to discuss

I realise that he is feigning interest but it is so nauseating and most listeners will have heard it first time. (The €60 taxi is just something I made up as an example).

Did anyone hear it today? He constantly interrupted callers and talked over them (re childrens 'adult' clothes).

I actually switched off, I was thinking 'just let the woman develop the point herself!!!!!!'

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Mary: We were trying to get to my aunt's funeral, she's originally from Ballybollics
    Davis: Ballybollics you say? That's a wonderful part of country, I remember being down in that part of the world shooting a series of "Davis' Dinners" a few years ago and the trout was just mouthwatering

• Advertisement

Mary: We were trying to get to my aunt's funeral, she's originally from Ballybollics
    Davis: Ballybollics you say? That's a wonderful part of country, I remember being down in that part of the world shooting a series of "Davis' Dinners" a few years ago and the trout was just mouthwatering

Spot on DublinWriter :D:D

or "and the trout was the finest".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Well its Derek Davis for me any day. Totally under-used by RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

whassis name...Tom McGurk
    I liked it when he was doing that spot.
    irreverent, spoke off the cuff, put his foot in it a lot, but entertaining

Unfortunately the Joe duffy show seems to be more about him and his personality, than the 'issues' being discussed.

My 2 cents worth.

Now as far as I know.. Tom McGuirk never did Liveline.....I could be wrong now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Now as far as I know.. Tom McGuirk never did Liveline.....I could be wrong now:)
    You are indeed correct Sir, Tom McGuirk is currently standing in for Marianne Finnucane's weekend 11am-1pm slot.

And if I had anything to do with it he would stay there.... I like his style..interrupts a bit and throws out that manic laugh now and again..but keeps things moving and "loose cannon" sometimes springs to mind,such armaments are rather scarce out in Montrose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I prefer Duffy to Davis. I find Davis too laid back and personalises everything a little to much with his own life experiences and can tend to go off in a tangent about his own interets .As said above he labours on simple points too much. Neither of them are as good as Marian Finucan was in that slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

True, Mcgurk never did liveline as such, but his slot "summer days" used to cover the same ground...complaints, extraordinary happenings and space for people to express outrage without anyone ever really doing anything about it.

In that reapect Joe Duffy, Gerry Ryan and Tom McGurk shows are not really that different except in terms of style..

I'm going to be really critical here now...I'd say that they're cheap to make because they require relatively little research. You just wait in the studio and answer queries, respond to whatever's brought up and therefore no preparation's needed or expected.

also the presenter can comiserate, express sympatethic exasperation, (sometimes things actually happen) and we're all entertained by how the country's going to the dogs.

Gosh, I'm in a bad mood today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I prefer Duffy to Davis, but anyone except McGurk!

HE'S ALWAYS SHOUTING

• Advertisement

Neither of them are as good as Marian Finucan was in that slot.

Ah no, by the end she was "Aunt Marian of the Sorrows" commiserating with anyone and everyone. It was horribly touchy-feely. Not that Duffy is'nt prone to the same.

I think Tom McGurk is an exellent radio presenter, he comes through LOUD and CLEAR! "Morning, morning" Which I like, I like his lack of BS when dealing with guests. I don't like his geo-political bias but then you can't have everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    Ah no, by the end she was "Aunt Marian of the Sorrows" commiserating with anyone and everyone. It was horribly touchy-feely. Not that Duffy is'nt prone to the same.

I never heard marian crying over a call. She would usually ask the obvious questions while interviewing a caller where as Davis and to a lesser extent Duffy often miss the obvious question and ask an irrelevant question.

Davis and Duffy again to a lessser extent both display poor interview technique, not "really" listening to the caller and taking the easy but not alway appropriate for the topic que for a question, .

Mariam is by far the better interviewer of the three, No wonder her weekend show is doing so well in the JNLR's.

She never cried, would'nt suggest that. It just that the stories featured tended to be soft "I feel your pain" stuff, her 9-10 am morning show was the same. I have'nt heard the weekend show.

Mike.

Advertisement