Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make caramel thicker/stiffer?

• 19-08-2006 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I've tried this lovely recipe for caramel slices: http://www.recipezaar.com/49890 which works a treat. Only thing is the caramel is a little soft for my taste. I'd like a stiffer/thicker caramel. How should I adjust the recipe to get this? Add less butter? Less condensed milk? Cook for longer?

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would try using less Butter and a little more condensed milk.
    Cooking for longer will also thicken caramel by reducing the water content.
    Have you tried keeping them in the fridge for a little while?
    That sometimes allows the caramel to thicken up, and remember this weather is quite warm so the caramel will be more runny.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Thanks for those tips CJ, I'll try amending the recipe. Yup, the fridge keeps them nice and firm but as you say, they're pretty soft once they're out of the fridge. Also as soon as you pop them in your gob they're very soft - I'd like them to be chewy in your gob.

If you get the recipe sorted , post the improvements her or on 'Zaar.
    and I am always available for testing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Will do! And noted on the testing front :)

I tried this recipe and followed the instructions roughly but I omitted the butter from the caramel and used a whole tin of condensed milk, I also didn't have corn syrup so I used golden syrup , this produced a very sticky and thick caramel which even at room temp ~ 20ºC was thick and not runny at all.
    I haven't poured the chocolate yet but I will use green and blacks 70% and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement