Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Car insurance for a young male driver

• 19-08-2006 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any company that will provide car insurance to a young professional at a reasonable price ? The car i thinking of purchasing has quite a big engine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

NO in a word, big engine is a total no-no unless you are minted.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

how much is a mint ?can you still get insurance but it will just be expensive ?

Im looking at the new BMW 3 series coupe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

More details if possible,but then again your only gonna get guesses off people here,your best bet is to get out the golden pages and ring as many numbers as you can

State age, licence, any history, location

Mike.

Male, 26, (now in Dublin ) full licence(only recently got), little driving history(named driver on a 1.0 litre car for about a year), zero driving incidents.

Car spec is

BMW 328 i

Liter = 3.0

type= Inline 6

valves per cyliner =4

Power output (horse power) = /rpm 230/6500

Max Torque/rpm ( lb-ft ) = 200/2750

Top Speed mph = 130/155kmph

Acceleration 0-60mph sec = 6.2 (6.8)

• Advertisement

Hmmmmm, 26 no NCB and a 3.0 car. Your best bet might be www.123.ie (just dont have crash).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭FastMachine

Britton Insurance are what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Britton Insurance are what you're looking for.

They were completely out of order when I got a quote!

As I think has been discussed before: Ring around, get quotes everywhere, they vary wildly and randomly.

Could a young professional drive something slower for a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dsender

"Top Speed mph = 130/155kmph"

If that second figure is kilometres per hour they don't match.
    130 mph is about 200/220 kilper hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'll also need to clarify whether it's a 328i or a 330i you're insuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Quinn will insure you. They quoted me on a 328i for about €1400 fully comp, 22 full licence and no ncb.

Edit: infact at 26 on a full licence any insurance company will quote you. 328i isn't considered as a sports car sp it should be easy to insure, a M3 would be a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Any points?

I reckon you're talking around the 2.5-3k+ ball park.

If it's any help, me being 24, 4 points, full licence 5 years and 5 years NCB on an M3 was €2,800 with ARB.

zero points... but its a 328i coupe !

I phoned Quinn direct and they quoted me €3,000 or just over it for a smaller car... I couldnt belive it...but i think it was a sports edition.

Yes I heard you the first time..it shouldn't be the hardest car in the world to insure though ;)

Is this the new model you're talking about? Because I don't think there's going to be a 328ci at the start. 325, 330 and 335.

@Big Balls; Who are ARB?

A bloody competitive Irish insurance company that's what! :D

You can't go to them directly though.. Goggins insurance in Dublin are one broker who will go to them or St. Paul's for high performance cars/young males.

With them, an R32 was €2,600 for me and I'm only 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I was insured on a Nissan 350z (3.5ltr) through Glennons with St Pauls when I was 28. Fist year was 2200 euro and second year was 1650 euro. However AA got me a quote through Proovident for 1450 euro. I did have a full clean driving licence for 10years though

That's really good. I'm 24 next month with a 3 years NCB and full licence, was looking at M3's, thought it would be impossible to insure until I was 26 but this sounds promising! Cheers for the heads up.

They managed to get me a quote on an M3 at 24 so I dunno why not you.

Quinn direct on their website quote me at €3,353.83. Pretty steep IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm shedding a tear for you right now as we speak.

Shop around more or buy a car with a smaller engine.

its a rip off !!

thanks btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 beamerboy2006

Try Penco insurance broker.The got me some very reasonable quotes in the past. They might find a company who will insure you with quite a big excess( i.e if you cash and its your fault you pay the first 5000 etc) It might be a way of reducing your policy and drive a bit more carefully:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Ring around and se what you can do, Saying X company is offering me fully comp. for X amount can you beat that can sometimes work. The 1st quote I got was €2300, im paying €1100 now ( As a named driver ill admit ) I'm looking in to getting a classic car, the insurance is around €300

There is always Xsess (spelling?) Direct who will insure you for about 1200 quid fully comp.

If you claim though, your excess is 4000 and that includes even a windscreen so you will have to pay for everything you would normally get with an insurance company.

Can you just get Xsees and not claim if you have an accident or do you have to claim ?

What happens if someone goes into you instead of you into them ? Does that count as a claim wiht Xsees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Why don't you try a few of the different companys' online quotation services and enter the details of the car you're considering?

I agree that britton are probably your best bet,
    www.brittoninsurance.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Britton gave me the cheapest quote when I was under 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

Tesco was the cheapist for me.
    20 provisonal licence 1L €1900
    or with full licence 1.6L €2050.
    no NCB

• Advertisement

Quinn Direct were the cheapest for me. 24/prov/1.3L/no NCB €1600. Hibernian were €2000 with ignition+named driver discount and AXA were €2400 with named driver discount. Results vary massively though with many finding Hibernian cheaper, others finding Britton cheaper. Pays to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Tesco was the cheapist for me.
    20 provisonal licence 1L €1900
    or with full licence 1.6L €2050.
    no NCB
    I thought tesco dont quote provisionals?

Tesco just resell Hibernian insurance. They probably require you to do Provisional Ignition before quoting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

big engine = high insurance, high tax and petrol money.... through the roof.

You haven't had your license long enough for anyone to quote you on a new 3series coupe

ps - did you win the lotto?

Im a car head. Strange priorities I guess. I think €2,000 should be enough to pay for insurance.

no, if I had the money I'd get one but can you actually get insured for 2k - I don't even think I would and that's moving from my own policy on my Celica. btw Quinn don't insure cars over 40k so I take it that it's no a new car.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Hmmmmm, 26 no NCB and a 3.0 car. Your best bet might be www.123.ie (just dont have crash).

Mike.
    123 are useless. the quotes I get on that site are unreal - robbery...... I posted a screen grab before, it's shocking! €900 with a 5k excess - wtf is that....

steve06 wrote:
    no, if I had the money I'd get one but can you actually get insured for 2k - I don't even think I would and that's moving from my own policy on my Celica. btw Quinn don't insure cars over 40k so I take it that it's no a new car.

Its a new car and Quinn quoted me the €3,200 price for the new car.

Ive done a right bit of saving for the car (no surprises). Its a 2.5 litre.. I didnt know there is a 2.5 litre here in Ireland.. I thought the entry was 2.8.

BMW have introduced smaller engine sizes in Ireland to rival Audi sales - this is the reason for the 316 which isn't available anywhere else.

steve06 wrote:
    You haven't had your license long enough for anyone to quote you on a new 3series coupe

Complete rubbish! :rolleyes:

Britton are ok but their options are limited (such as windscreen cover and a few other bits).

Nothing stopping you NOT claiming if you go with Xsess, can always pay it out of your own pocket.

Whether someone else can claim against you is completely up to whether it was your fault or not!

Big Balls wrote:
    Complete rubbish! :rolleyes:

Britton are ok but theie options are limited (such as windscreen cover and a few other bits).

Nothing stopping you NOT claiming if you go with Xsess, can always pay it out of your own pocket.

Whether someone else can claim against you is completely up to whether it was your fault or not!
    I didn't see he was 26 when I posted that reply, I presumed he was about 18-19

• Advertisement

You might not like the price but there certainly would be companies willing to insure you on certain coupes with a full licence at 18/19.

only certain coupes though. I was told by quinn that under 25 wont get insured on anything over 120bhp

I doubt it.

You're a bit of a smart arse aren't you......

well here's the case then ok - I had a 05 98bhp 1.4 megane saloon and was changing car. was looking at a cr-x and was told by quinn that because I was under 25 they wouldn't insure me in a car over 120bhp! then I hit 25 and got a 190bhp Celica - then they insured me no prob.

Steve! Nils Abuseium thankyou.

Mike.

sorry mike but he's dissmissed and argued with everything I've said.

The point is Stevo, insurance situations vary from one person to the next.

I'm 24 with over 5 years NCB so I really don't think Quinn (not that I'd even ask them for a quote) would refuse me cover on my car.

Just cause you've had one experience doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

120bhp for nobody under 25 sounds like a figure plucked out of the sky on an internet forum and thrown into the insurance rumour mill.

well go and phone quinn and get a quote for a CRX, or for my Car - a Celica 190.

I drive a car with more power than both of the above so I don't need to, if I can get insured on something with more power then obviously something smaller will be ok too.

There's also far more companies out there than Quinn Direct for you to choose from - I suggest you check them out if you're having trouble.

I'm not having trouble and I am insured. and because 1 company will insure you doesn't mean another one will. a lot of companies wont insure males under 25 at all.

What car do you have then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement