Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Car insurance for a young male driver

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Again, it really depends on the person under 25 and their experience.

The thread is about a guy sourcing insurance on a BMW coupe.

Of course as you say the companies differ but the more experience the less doors are closed in your face. There's companies that won't quote until males are 30 on some cars (Axa being one of them) but that doesn't mean you WON'T get a quote with 15 other companies.

I drive a VW Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye I know, and the fact is that he's just got his license. That's why it might be hard to insure without breaking the bank.

p.s. a vw golf is not more powerfull than a Celica190 unless it's a GTI which is only 10bhp faster, but you didn't mention that.

Anyway this is all off topic and I'm finished with this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Big Balls wrote:
    The point is Stevo, insurance situations vary from one person to the next.

I'm 24 with over 5 years NCB so I really don't think Quinn (not that I'd even ask them for a quote) would refuse me cover on my car.

Just cause you've had one experience doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.

120bhp for nobody under 25 sounds like a figure plucked out of the sky on an internet forum and thrown into the insurance rumour mill.

Different companies have different restrictions, quinn certainly will not insure a provisional driver on anything over 110bhp, even as a named driver. I'd be surprised if quinn did quote you, eagle star and allianz would probably not quote you either unless you qualify for one of their group schemes.

My cheapest quote for third party fire and theft was less than €500 this year, fully comp with all the bells and whistles (windscreen, breakdown, bonus protected) was €660 and that's with a dublin address. Allianz direct would not quote me on the very same car, even though I'm older than you, have been driving longer than you, have a full licence longer than you, have a longer no claims than you and my car is less powerful than yours and is worth less than yours.

steve06 wrote:
    ye I know, and the fact is that he's just got his license. That's why it might be hard to insure without breaking the bank.

My point at the start to you was that although he might have only just got his full licence the companies would be more inclined to take into account that he's 26 and has a full licence. OP I really hope you do get a quote after all this!! ;)
    steve06 wrote:
    p.s. a vw golf is not more powerfull than a Celica190 unless it's a GTI which is only 10bhp faster, but you didn't mention that.

May only be but it's a lot higher in risk categories so there'd be more than 10bhp taken into account - plus the cost of replacing one should it be stolen and not recovered/written off.
    steve06 wrote:
    Anyway this is all off topic and I'm finished with this thread.

Well it's not really - we're all young males and we're discussing insurance.

alias no.9 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if quinn did quote you, eagle star and allianz would probably not quote you either unless you qualify for one of their group schemes.

I'm not going to ring them and waste their time pretending to want a quote but a mate of mine with a smaller NCB than me was able to get a quote with Quinn on a 2005 Golf GTI.
    alias no.9 wrote:
    Allianz direct would not quote me on the very same car, even though I'm older than you, have been driving longer than you, have a full licence longer than you, have a longer no claims than you and my car is less powerful than yours and is worth less than yours.

I never said how long I'm driving.

Most companies don't discount for anthing more than 5 years NCB.. so a 90 year NCB and a 5 year NCB are pretty much the same for the insurance companies ;)

Big Balls wrote:
    I'm not going to ring them and waste their time pretending to want a quote but a mate of mine with a smaller NCB than me was able to get a quote with Quinn on a 2005 Golf GTI.

www.quinn-direct.com it's your time, not theirs you're wasting
    Big Balls wrote:
    You could well be driving longer than me and have a full licence longer but I don't remember stating either!

You said you're 24, I can add and subtract and I'm hoping to learn long division soon
    Big Balls wrote:
    And most companies don't discount for anthing more than 5 years NCB.. so a 90 year NCB and a 5 year NCB are pretty much the same for the insurance companies

Axa give up to 7.

Anyway, my point is that companies, including Quinn give blanket refusals to certain categories and you fall into a blanket ban category for more than one insurer, I'm the same with one insurer. The statement I was taking issue with was
    Big Balls wrote:
    I'm 24 with over 5 years NCB so I really don't think Quinn (not that I'd even ask them for a quote) would refuse me cover on my car.
    and all I'm saying is don't be so sure.

alias no.9 wrote:
    You said you're 24, I can add and subtract and I'm hoping to learn long division soon

Now now. Handbags.

So you're driving more than 7 years (as per your maths formula) and you've more than almost 6 years NCB, you're over 25 and you're still getting told no from companies?

What exactly are you trying to insure? A Boeing 747? Or have you convictions? Cause that seems pretty unfair!

Big Balls wrote:
    Now now. Handbags.

So you're driving more than 7 years (as per your maths formula) and you've more than almost 6 years NCB, you're over 25 and you're still getting told no from companies?

What exactly are you trying to insure? A Boeing 747? Or have you convictions? Cause that seems pretty unfair!

No convictions, no points, no medical conditions. The car is an alfa 156 1.8, hardly a rocketship, but Allianz say that despite my unblemished driving history that stretches further back than they care to hear about, they won't touch me with it until I'm over 30 because it's too powerful. I'm not particularly bothered to be honest, everyone else will quote me and most are reasonable. Just don't assume your full licence and NCB means you'll get cover everywhere.

Big Balls do you not get the point of all this - your driving history only matters to certain companies, go get quotes online and you'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

alias no.9 wrote:
    Anyway, my point is that companies, including Quinn give blanket refusals to certain categories and you fall into a blanket ban category for more than one insurer, I'm the same with one insurer. The statement I was taking issue with was

They do. Their online quoting system would only quote me on a 1.4 Focus. (23/6yrs exp/5yr NCB). The price I got over the phone indicated they didn't want my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Lads please keep it on thread. Yes Im 26 and all I want to drive is a BMW and thats why I havent bought another car before. Fair enough I could get a second hand one but I think the new 3 series coupe is class.

So is Xsess the best option ?

steve06 wrote:
    Big Balls do you not get the point of all this - your driving history only matters to certain companies, go get quotes online and you'll see!

In fairness now, I've said in nearly every post that insurance companies differ from one to the next.

Maskhadov have you tried Hibernian? a 2004 325ci was 1900 for me with them which seemed ok.

Xsess could be your best bet - 1200 is not bad at all (could be less actually due to your age) but it's the excess that is a bit off putting.

I got a quote of €1,400 for a 06 325ci from quinn online and because I'm already a customer I can get it cheaper if I call up so you shouldn't have trouble getting a good quote with a small excess on the policy, with quinn the excess is only €190 on my policy.

That's a great quote..

Big Balls wrote:
    That's a great quote..
    ye, anyone want to lend me some cash to buy one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

what is excess with Quinn??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

This seems like a good place to ask.

I have just bought my first car and Im trying to get insured.

I am about to send out for my learners permit.
    Im 18 (19 in August)
    I have a VW Golf 1.9 Estate (90BHP base trim)

Quinn have quoted me with 3500 for 3rd party fire and theft on a provisional and 2000 to 2300 3rd party F&T on a full license.
    My dad knew someone who can get me 3rd party F&T on a provisional license for 3200.

Are these good quotes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Why the hell did you buy a 1.9L car if you're on a learners permit?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Surely you knew you'd have to pay loads for it?

steve06 wrote: »
    only certain coupes though. I was told by quinn that under 25 wont get insured on anything over 120bhp

Thats just not true. I have a friend insuring a 200sx with 340bhp, all mods declared for about 2k(maybe a little more), He got it when he was 22 and only had 1 year ncb due to a claim and quinn had no problem transferring his insurance and renewing it the next year..

Although for some reason quinn will quote on very high powered modified cars but not on cars with less power(but still powerful) which are standard. Very strange imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

bbk wrote: »
    This seems like a good place to ask.

I have just bought my first car and Im trying to get insured.

I am about to send out for my learners permit.
    Im 18 (19 in August)
    I have a VW Golf 1.9 Estate (90BHP base trim)

Quinn have quoted me with 3500 for 3rd party fire and theft on a provisional and 2000 to 2300 3rd party F&T on a full license.
    My dad knew someone who can get me 3rd party F&T on a provisional license for 3200.

Are these good quotes?

Try Axa and ask for a student policy if that applies to you, im just guessing with your age. My insurance is 480 fully comp with them on a passat with same engine as yours, im nearly 23 though and full licence for 4 years but its still cheap :).

• Advertisement

Why the hell did you buy a 1.9L car if you're on a learners permit?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Surely you knew you'd have to pay loads for it?

Well Im not gonna waste money on a 1 litre Yaris or other small car that wont hold my drum kit, PA system, guitar amps etc. and then sell it a few years on and end up having wasted my times in terms of money and practiability.
    The golf estate is big enough for everything I need to chuck in it, its going to last as long as the earth if I treat it right and the MPG also is a nice bonus.
    Dont roll eyes till you know my circumstances lol

And dont call me Surely :L

A 6 months or so policy and then 2200 on a full isnt half bad and Im relatively not too far off Pauls age so incremental drops in my insurance are to be expected and have been planned for.

Im just curious is 3500 a good quote for the car I have with the circumstances I have, regardless of it being an expensive car to insure in the first place is it a reasonable first quote?

Ill check AXA out now

Thanks all
    bbk

Well Im not gonna waste money on a 1 litre Yaris or other small car that wont hold my drum kit, PA system, guitar amps etc. and then sell it a few years on and end up having wasted my times in terms of money and practiability.

No offence but you should have got the 1.4 petrol. Much cheaper to insure and not dissimilar running costs.

maidhc wrote: »
    No offence but you should have got the 1.4 petrol. Much cheaper to insure and not dissimilar running costs.

On quinn the Vdub 1.4 golf estate is 3000 3rd party F&T on a provisional and 2100 full.

Not a huge difference with 3200(new quote) and 2300. (prov and full respectively)
    And its 40-45 vs 55-60 MPG petrol vs diesel.

On quinn the Vdub 1.4 golf estate is 3000 3rd party F&T on a provisional and 2100 full.

Not a huge difference with 3200(new quote) and 2300. (prov and full respectively)
    And its 40-45 vs 55-60 MPG petrol vs diesel.

Fair enough.

My sister is roughly half on a 1.4 Octavia. Same age, but full licence. Irritating being male at times.

maidhc wrote: »
    Fair enough.

My sister is roughly half on a 1.4 Octavia. Same age, but full licence. Irritating being male at times.

Yeah, it really is :p
    I wish there could be some intervention in insurance. Its as if we are being priced off the road in our youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 IgnatiusPop

Maskhadov wrote: »
    Male, 26, (now in Dublin ) full licence(only recently got), little driving history(named driver on a 1.0 litre car for about a year), zero driving incidents.

Car spec is

BMW 328 i

Liter = 3.0

type= Inline 6

valves per cyliner =4

Power output (horse power) = /rpm 230/6500

Max Torque/rpm ( lb-ft ) = 200/2750

Top Speed mph = 130/155kmph

Acceleration 0-60mph sec = 6.2 (6.8)

Also Maskhadov, remember that you are going to have to tax this car as well as insure it, and cars over 2 lieters are taxed up te yin-yang! (As of 1st Jan '09) See link;

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/tg00178/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/motortax_rates_2009_en.pdf

3ltr engines are taxed at €1,297 per annum.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 IgnatiusPop

Big Balls wrote: »
    A bloody competitive Irish insurance company that's what! :D

You can't go to them directly though.. Goggins insurance in Dublin are one broker who will go to them or St. Paul's for high performance cars/young males.

With them, an R32 was €2,600 for me and I'm only 24.

Bigballs, €2600 per year is not competitive, not in any way.

It is in fact, an ass-load of money to be shelling out just so you can insure yourself.

Advertisement