Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The race for accomodation

• 19-08-2006 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Ok. With the offers coming out on Monday the race for accomodation will truly begin.
    I know alot of you have it sorted already but it still causes problems for people like me who will be moving away from home for the 1st time.

Where are you staying?? 25 votes

On campus accomodation
    0% 0 votes
    Privately owned purpose built student accomodation
    52% 13 votes
    Digs
    12% 3 votes
    Renting a house/flat/apartment
    0% 0 votes
    Buying a house/flat/apartment
    36% 9 votes
    Staying at home of with relatives.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I will be staying at home for the mean time anyway, Probs kip every now and then with friends/relatives in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I wud really h8 digs!!

I applied for accomodation for Maynooth & Edinburgh months ago! Shud get both!

But I only applied for UCC accomoadation about 3 weeks ago but im on the waiting list but it looks like I will get my 1st choice anyway so it doesnt matter!

Yeah this will be my 1st time moving away from home! On one hand I cant wait but on the other hand I am s*ittin myself about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I said on campus but it's really trinity halls I'm applying for (outside campus 2.5 miles). Hopeing I get in, if I don't I'm fair f*cked - I don't know Dublin at all, wouldn't know where to look. Also need to find out when I know if I get in to accom or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

On Campus (hopefully?)

In DCU over 500 points is guaranteed on campus if you want it i think, so, woohoooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

pfft on campus is overrated. no torrents or gaming O:

I plan on living somewhere in the vicinity of DCU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Gonna apply for on-campus in UCD as soon as I get my offer.

Is it not too late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

eamoss wrote:
    Is it not too late?
    no, you can only apply for accom in UCD once you actually get your offer

Nope, UCD have the stupid system where you apply once you get an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Makes sense to me tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

Makes sense to me tbh.
    me too!

What if you get rejected 1 week before you're supposed to start college? Accomodation deadline is August 27, Reg week starts September 4

The UL system, on the otherhand, let's you apply for your place and put down a deposit. If you don;t get offered a palce, they refund your deposit. But you know much sooner if you ahve to go looking for somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Rockerette wrote:
    On Campus (hopefully?)

In DCU over 500 points is guaranteed on campus if you want it i think, so, woohoooo

That system in DCU is pure cack if you ask me! I hope I get to live on campus but on the other hand I'd rather not if I have to put up with aload of boring 500 pointers who would rather stay in and study than go to the pub!
    I know I'm tarring ye with the one brush but I wouldn't say I'm far wrong tbh!

UL's arrangements are far better...

Afaik DCU let's you apply for accomodation like UL. And UCD also offers guaratneed accomodation for people with scholarships, which is a different number for each course. S'why I was aiming for 550.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Staying at home, college is pretty close.

can i just say i cant WAIT to move out..

my own room, FINALLY, after 18 years... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

(if you share a room you'll understand im sure..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I'm probably goin to sligo and i cam across this website:

http://www.milliganplace.com/index/student

Looks good but there's no pictures only artists impressions and its not that dear either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Its only a short walk to the trainstation, and then a train to Maynooth for me. So I'm staying at home. It'll leave me more money for drink!

Rockerette wrote:
    can i just say i cant WAIT to move out..

my own room, FINALLY, after 18 years... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

(if you share a room you'll understand im sure..)
    Even though I only shared a room for 6months with my sister, I understand...!!!

deisedolly wrote:
    but on the other hand I'd rather not if I have to put up with aload of boring 500 pointers who would rather stay in and study than go to the pub!
    I know I'm tarring ye with the one brush but I wouldn't say I'm far wrong tbh!

oh sweet god. well please dont let me ever live anywehere near you if thats your opinion. ffs. i would actually hit you. give me those "boring 500 pointers" anyday over you if thats the way you think.
    "rather study than go to the pub".. what age are you, like.. 12?! ha.. it always makes me laugh when people have this assumption that if you do well in exams you have no life..

anyway

LOADS of people get on campus in DCU.. i suppose one of the perks of gettin over 500 is that its guaranteed.. eases the worry for like.. 5 days :o

and yes XChampagneX, sharing is PAINFUL! 18 years!
    aagghhhh!
    and its only a small room... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

To the people moving out - will ye have to get jobs to support accomodation costs or will ye get sent money from home?

I have a house to go back to in Dublin but I think for my first year I'm gonna stay on campus...i have NO idea why though when I have a perfectly good house within walking distance in Mount Merrion! I'll probably get money sent up to me, but i'll get a job aswell, just because I'll need money for going out, shopping and other necessities!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I wish I could stay home, but alas, Dublin is too far from Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

ThrownAway wrote:
    To the people moving out - will ye have to get jobs to support accomodation costs or will ye get sent money from home?

I'll have to get a job. I'm working at the moment and trying to save but i'll have to give that up in 2 weeks. I've applyed for the grant but not sure if i'll get it. I dont like the thoughts of working weekends but i suppose i'll have to.

I have a house to go back to in Dublin but I think for my first year I'm gonna stay on campus...i have NO idea why though when I have a perfectly good house within walking distance in Mount Merrion! I'll probably get money sent up to me, but i'll get a job aswell, just because I'll need money for going out, shopping and other necessities!
    ...You live in Mount Merrion, and you think you'll get on-campus?

ThrownAway: My parents are paying for my way for first year. After that, they'll only be helping me out for 2nd/3rd. THink I'm on my own from there

Raphael wrote:
    ...You live in Mount Merrion, and you think you'll get on-campus?

ThrownAway: My parents are paying for my way for first year. After that, they'll only be helping me out for 2nd/3rd. THink I'm on my own from there
    No, i live in Cork! I moved here last year from Mount Merrion! So i DO have a chance of getting on-campus?! Otherwise it's a 6 hour drive every morning :D

...And it wouldn't bother you getting an on-campus place over someone that, y'know, needs it?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Raphael wrote:
    ...And it wouldn't bother you getting an on-campus place over someone that, y'know, needs it?
    Like me.:(

And me, I'm closer than cork but a fuck lot further away than Mount Merrion.

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:

Same with myself! But I havent planned on how it going to work!

Advertisement