Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Laptop Deal

Options
  • 19-08-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

hi, i will be going into first year arts (unless it jumps 105 pts:D ) now and i will be getting a laptop. i was just wondering what kind of discounts will we get. i realise it probably isnt released yet but what kind of price discount was given last year? i would be looking for 80gig hd and 512ram as my basic start. i wouldnt want to spend more than €700-€800. im not sure whether to wait for this discount or keep looking at dell outlet and any other deals. any help would be appreciated. thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Here's what the Business school laptop programme has this year. I imagine the Dell laptops they list are what Dell has agreed with UCD as a whole.

TBH, I think they're rather pricey. They've gone for the more expensive Latitude models, unnecessary for students imo.

If I was in your position, I'd source my own laptop and look for a better deal. As long as it meets the min spec you're fine. Just don't get a mac, they don't like them for some stupid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

thanks for that, i presume the deals will be the same for all students

That's what I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Hey Robin that leads to the Smurfit rather than Quinn school, is there no difference in the laptop programme for undergrads and postgrads? Probably isn't, just in case.

AFAIK I don't think so. I didn't find anything on IT Services page so went with the business school details. That's not to say other schools have their own laptop deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

As it happens I'm working on the other side of the Rollout program, If you are going to smurfit and get a call from Ciarán, that's me.

As it happens I'm working on the other side of the Rollout program, If you are going to smurfit and get a call from Ciarán, that's me.
    can you tell me if they are the only laptops that will be part of the laptop programme for all students? they dont really offer a budget laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

irlrobins wrote:
    Here's what the Business school laptop programme has this year. I imagine the Dell laptops they list are what Dell has agreed with UCD as a whole.
    They may be slightly different deals, as they sent out ones to all comp. sci.´s with slightly different specs.

UCD also has a deal with HP, for us they sent out details of their nc6310 and nc6320 models, but tbh there isn´t really that much difference pricewise between the hp´s and dells.

The Apple discount is usually tthe best one, but since they are more expensive to begin with you still dont gain much.

I´d definitely go with Robin´s idea, source one outside UCD, and have a look at the dell outlet, you can usually get some pretty good deals there.

yeah dell outlet is probably my best bet for a cheap low(ish) spec laptop. i saw a great one this morning for 500€ but went away to have breakfast and by the time i was back it was sold:( :(:(

can you tell me if they are the only laptops that will be part of the laptop programme for all students? they dont really offer a budget laptop
    I'm only in smurfit, but yes, that's all they offer. You can get whatever laptop you like, it's just the ones they offer have a full llicence for office and bits like that. If you had office you could use that on a cheap cheap laptop you bought. They offer the latitudes, and I have to say I wouldn't have bought one before, but when they pointed out the differences in the build quality to us, you can really see what they mean. The guys who picked it don't get anything out if it. They are just trying to guess the best deal for the students, and it's not to bad when you add up all the costs.
    You can use pretty much any laptop you want, the recomended specs are quite low.

• Advertisement

You can use pretty much any laptop you want,
    Except a Mac, you don't like Macs :p

You can still use them though :) You just won't get much support, heh heh

You can still use them though :) You just won't get much support, heh heh
    The ITLG refused to allow a girl to register her Mac on network last year. So she had to sell it at a loss (was brand new) and get a windows machine. Bad form on the part of ITLG tbh. No reason why they couldn't let her use the Mac, had office and everything else that was required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

That's kinda odd, friend bought a mac last year - had no real problems registering it and using it away, only real problem he ever found was that his msn messenger wouldn't work in ucd.

In saying that he was an archaeology post grad - not much call for a lot of software and what he did need was supplied by the dept on dept laptops.

Ah yea Mac's work no probs on the UCD network. So there was no reason for the ITLG to say that she couldn't use it. Tbh, I think they just knew they wouldn't know how to support it so wanted to save themselves grief in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

UCD have a deal with apple now - currently students get between a 4-6% discount on Macs using the online education store on apple.com/ie however, before the start of term there will be a link in ucd connect to a new UCD Apple online store that will offer 10% discounts across the board.

This in smurfit or quinn? The ILTG in smurfit have no problems with it anyway.

This in smurfit or quinn? The ILTG in smurfit have no problems with it anyway.
    Quinn

yeah dell outlet is probably my best bet for a cheap low(ish) spec laptop. i saw a great one this morning for 500€ but went away to have breakfast and by the time i was back it was sold:( :(:(

I've been viewing http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ over the past few days, and it seems quite cheap.

And no, I've nothing to do with them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

the latitude build quality is streets ahead of the inspiron, same as the optiplex is a much better machine than a dimension. a lot of parts are standardised across all models making them easy to maintain.

Can someone de-acronymise ITLG?

• Advertisement

Information and Technology Learning Group

i found it again:D :D 80gig hard drive, 512 ram only 500€. im a happy camper:) thanks for everyones help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

i found it again:D :D 80gig hard drive, 512 ram only 500€. im a happy camper:) thanks for everyones help

Don't forget to get it registered by UCD's Computing Services in the Daedulus Building its crucial for example printing documents from your laptop on a internet connection.

Also you get Sophos Anti virus Updates

Chakar wrote:
    Also you get Sophos Anti virus Updates
    AVG is better imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

irlrobins wrote:
    AVG is better imo

Well UCD don't have them don't know why.I have them too and the updates are so good.

They don't have AVG Free cos they wouldn't be allowed to use it a on a free basis as they are a "business". Sophos is not bad, their spam filtering on UCD mail is pretty good. But AVG is just easier to use. Plus Sophos on default settings only tells you that you have a virus, it doesn't actually try to remove it. So unless the user knows how to disinfect it's not cleaning up the infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

You do not need to register your laptop (to be more precice, the MAC address on your wifi card) with computer services to use the wireless internet around UCD. At least you didn't last year. WaveLAN is completly open.

You need to register your laptop with computer science if you want to use the wireless network in the computer science network. That's cause they have their own network. Funny how the computer science people won't go near computer services stuff. :)

Re: Apple laptops. It depends on your faculty. E.g in computer science half the staff have apple macs, so they're really operating system neutral there. I'd heard about someone being told they couldn't use a mac on the network. I'm well suprised about that. Those people are clearly muppets.

You can use apple laptops fine in UCD, the only hassle is printing. You have to physical connect your laptop to the printer, as opposed to doing it over the network.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i'm sure once we all go over to IPP that'll be less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

For computer science will I need to get a laptop?Would most people doing it have one?(In the first year...)

If so,would it be better to go with something with window,or a macbook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

irlrobins wrote:
    AVG is better imo

I went and bought AVG SoHo about a month back, its really good, just about all you could ask for from a antivir.

I found a nice little HP laptop on the HP website, marketed as an entertainment laptop but all the same would suit me fine, weighs around 5lbs most importantly. Unfortunately, can't find anywhere to buy it in Ireland.

Advertisement