Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Laptop Deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

For computer science will I need to get a laptop?Would most people doing it have one?(In the first year...)

If so,would it be better to go with something with window,or a macbook?
    I wouldn't get a laptop for first year. You wouldn't need it tbh. But certainly in 2nd or third year you'd find it very handy.

How does this compare to the top Spec Dell?

I know that i would need to have office put on it, but we already have the student edition at home.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Hewlett_Packard_Student_Bundle_3_BUN-STUDENT-HP3/version.asp

And is this laptop only marginally less impressive than the latitude D620.. For a decent bit lower..
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Acer_Aspire_5602WLMi_LX.AB105.094/version.asp

Performance wise it's definitely better than the most expensive dell that is listed in the link I gave at the start of the thread. And it's cheaper too. SO not a bad buy. In fact I think it would make an ideal student laptop. It's very well spec'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

For computer science will I need to get a laptop?Would most people doing it have one?(In the first year...)

If so,would it be better to go with something with window,or a macbook?
    I'd probably agree with irlrobins that a laptop isn't essential in first year. The one thing to note though is that the comp. sci. labs close at 6.30 for 1st-3rd years, and are the only labs that have the software that you need.

If you have a pc at home thats fine, but if not, a laptop may be a good idea.

I'm strongly considering that HP laptop bundle, it works out at roughly €1200 and is very well specced. The only thing it is beaten on is Hard Drive speed of 5400rpm. it is also a bit bigger than the similarly priced Dell.

It has a longer battery life, and when you buy it in the "studnt bundle" you also get an extended (3yr) warranty and a mouse for a tenner extra...

Sounds good to me/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Chakar wrote:
    Don't forget to get it registered by UCD's Computing Services in the Daedulus Building its crucial for example printing documents from your laptop on a internet connection.

You don't actually need to be registered to use that - all you need is your UCD Connect login details - and yes I'm sure - my laptop isn't registered - it's simply wireless enabled and I can print in UCD no hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

A MacBook is the only game in town..

Someone has money to burn ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I'm considering a macbook, they start at €1052 with the student discount. 1.83Ghz Core Duo, 512MB RAM, 13.3" Screen, 60GB HD and it only weighs 2.36kg. I'll probably upgrade the RAM.

As long as a mac will work on the wireless in UCD I'm happy. Dell can't seem to offer anything that light for a similar price.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The Dell X1 is a very light laptop. My mum's got one to replace a real brick and you can hold it on one hand no problem.

• Advertisement

I'd go with a windows based laptop myself. And I know you can put windows on a mac these days but you need to buy a copy of XP for that and that adds to the price. Have a look at the sony vaio's they have nice small models. And Dell do ultralights, but they can be expensive.

they are both relatively expensive. also we have a copy of XP that my dad got for another laptop that went belly up about a week after he bought it, so that'll do for the mac. I like mac os x...think I'm gonna take the plunge.

GAH just looked and the X1 starts at over €1500!!! I'm a student!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Anyone buying software should buy the student versions. They're vastly cheaper, and all they require (at most) is a stamped form.

irlrobins wrote:
    Someone has money to burn ^

I don't really think the way I spend money is any of your business.
    I prefer the Mac because I can process pictures, record my band, make films and still use Word etc.

Woah, he wasn't getting personal about your cash - either abundance or lack thereof. He was merely commenting on the fact that there's cheaper out there, if you want it. Chill!

He could have said it in a more curteous manner, I reckon. Not getting angry or anything I just didn't think it was very nice.

My comment was based on the fact that a windows based PC would be significantly cheaper than a same spec mac. My comment was purely nerd based. As anyone on boards will tell you I'm an uber nerd.

It was not a insult, never intended to be and I'm sorry you took it to be one.

That's alright. Sorry I took it the wrong way.

No problem. Carry on, nothing to see here! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stepheno

My comment was based on the fact that a windows based PC would be significantly cheaper than a same spec mac.

Sorry, but this is simply a common myth at the present time.

Input the specs of the Macbook, Macbook Pro, or Mac Pro into Dells pricing (same processors, ram, hd etc) and you'll find that the Macs come up cheaper. And this of course doesnt count the value of the built in video cameras, remote controls, industrial design, and far more secure OS X.

Put that myth to bed now chappy :)

disclaimer: this was tested about two weeks ago by me, so things could have changed

• Advertisement

Well jsut tried that. Spec'd a Dell laptop (Insprion 6400) to match Mac Book (2Ghz) (same ram, HD, Graphics card, etc. Only difference was Dell had a bigger screen). Dell was 600e cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

To be honest, from my experience dell computers are pure crap in general bought one a year nd a half ago nd da screen nd da mother board were gone in 8 months nd da guarantee so i had to jst get rid of it, wasnt surprised one bit to hear about the battery recall, typical dell. Have a toshiba laptop its doin well so id reccommend them. Also be wary of acer laptops they are useless too!

I got my Dell three years ago, about a week after the results of the leaving came out, so it was its birthday yesterday and I never even got it a present. Ah well, bought two light-up mice today, that'll do. I've never had a problem with it. Now, granted, I'm close to computer illiterate, but even with all my stupid fooling about and poking at things, three years and some frequent abuse on, it's still as good as it was when it came out of the box, just with more stickers on it. Dell Inspiron 5100, so it's not amazo-puter or anything.

One bad laptop does not a company make. Everything is flawed - wait until you get to UCD!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i haven't had a great service record with my Dell laptop, but i'm hard on that stuff - plenty of bumps and knocks including being left in my bag in the bar for long periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rotten_eggz

wel it wasnt jst that laptop. My parents also bought a desktop a few back that gave them nothing but trouble. Maybe thats jst two bad experiences that gave me a very bad impression!

irlrobins wrote:
    Well jsut tried that. Spec'd a Dell laptop (Insprion 6400) to match Mac Book (2Ghz) (same ram, HD, Graphics card, etc. Only difference was Dell had a bigger screen). Dell was 600e cheaper.

The Dell is close to 3 kg, doesn't have as good battery life (3hrs max). You couldn't bring this to college easily, it's bulky and heavy.

The Macbook is 2.36kg, battery life of 4hrs 45mins.

I'm so buying a macbook this weekend...it's cheaper again with the student discount!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

tywy wrote:
    The Dell is close to 3 kg, doesn't have as good battery life (3hrs max). You couldn't bring this to college easily, it's bulky and heavy.

The Macbook is 2.36kg, battery life of 4hrs 45mins.

I'm so buying a macbook this weekend...it's cheaper again with the student discount!
    How much are they with the student discount?

start at €1052, 13.3" screen, 1.83Ghz dual core intel processor, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD CD,DVD combo drive. This weighs 2.36kg. I think this is pretty darn good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

tywy wrote:
    start at €1052, 13.3" screen, 1.83Ghz dual core intel processor, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD CD,DVD combo drive. This weighs 2.36kg. I think this is pretty darn good
    Plus 160 euro off an ipod if you want,unfortunatly I don't have a need for the ipod discount part of it at the moment.

• Advertisement

so you don't think I'm mad to consider this?

I don't need an Ipod either...pity, might see if a friend wants one...

Advertisement