Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Laptop Deal

Options
124»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

they don't 'assign' MAC addresses ffs - get your facts straight.

there's at least one guy often on the helpdesk who does know his stuff about macs and had a girls mac set up in no time.

do you plan on offloading the iMac RK?

Okay, it looks as though i'll just bite the bullet and go with the laptop deal, purely because i cant find prices for the pre-loaded software on the Dells that are needed for 1st year.

Anybody definitely going for a 3rd party lappy? and where are they sourcing MS OneNote and Frontpage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Doing archaeology post-grad , would the apple be better for graphics etc? Dunno much about computers, have a dell in work and i dont have any probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Know someone who did one last year - out of his group he was the only one who used a mac, all the dept computers had the software and they were all dell afaik, i think the software he did install could work on both - i'll double check with him next time i'm talking to him but everyone else used windows systems anyways with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RightOn

I just bought my laptop for UCD under their recommended offer thing. That was 3 days ago. All I got then was an "Internet Receipt" number and I've heard nothing else from them since.

Is this normal, or should I be worried?:(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Dell v Mac is definitely not a discussion for this thread. It's not even a discussion for this forum. Let's keep Dell v Mac issues to the fora they belong please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Dell v Mac is definitely not a discussion for this thread. It's not even a discussion for this forum. Let's keep Dell v Mac issues to the fora they belong please.

Here-here...

A pity us common students can't get the HP student dealios, the dv2000 is growing on me (mostly cause it's prettier than the 1 I'll prob get, I'm such a girl)

ideal PC would be one of those Alienware jobs. one guy in the RoboRugby lab had one last year, absolutely awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

RightOn wrote:
    I just bought my laptop for UCD under their recommended offer thing. That was 3 days ago. All I got then was an "Internet Receipt" number and I've heard nothing else from them since.

Is this normal, or should I be worried?
    Nothing to worry about, methinks - just show up on the date that Quinn have assigned you to, and ILTG will show up with a multitude of ridiculously oversized boxes with your name on them. If memory serves, that's exactly how mine worked out anyway...

Seems like you folks aren't all as helpful as i thought :(

after much ducking and diving, tryin to avoid all the website blocking filters in work, i have sourced OneNote and Frontpage on www.shopireland.ie as €110 and €280 respectively....

There is no way you could beat the Dell deal and buy the software outside of it...

is there?

(Bear in mind the cheapest microsoft Office is another €115

• Advertisement

do you really need oneenote and frontpage?

i doubt it, but it says it on the letter we got about laptops and the Quinn School.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

i doubt it, but it says it on the letter we got about laptops and the Quinn School.
    i'd wait until you are in college then before getting them, especially frontpage, as if you aren't using it much, you can just use dreamweaver on the ucd machines, as its far far bettere anyway, and wont cost you anything.

I considered not getting it until we found out how much use we'd get out of it.

But is it worth the price risk?

i can get a far better laptop for a lower price now, without the software. But what happens if i have to buy the software? All of a sudden the price of the non-Dell-Deal laptop jumps considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Emmet, I honestly think you can get away with Frontpage really. The only thing I've ever, ever heard it used for in Quinn is the website building project in the Computers & Information Systems (1st Comm / CommInt, 2nd BBLS) module which, not only is a piece of piss, but is far far far easier with Dreamweaver. Which kicks the pants of Frontpage any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

can you not get the education versions of those Microsoft programs, they are far cheaper....I was looking into getting the Microsoft Office Suite last year and the student version was like half the price...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I considered not getting it until we found out how much use we'd get out of it.

But is it worth the price risk?

i can get a far better laptop for a lower price now, without the software. But what happens if i have to buy the software? All of a sudden the price of the non-Dell-Deal laptop jumps considerably.
    Fair enough, but there's one fairly strong caveat with not going for the deal through UCD. Again it depends on whether or not you are in Quinn/dealing with ILTG. I had a non-deal laptop for two years and, even though it was a Dell Latitude, they wouldn't support it at all. They also made sure that everything I did with it - from the day I brought it in to have the pre-requisite software installed, to getting rid of it at the end - was an absolute nightmare.

I've had the new laptop (bought through UCD) for a year, and I haven't had one single problem with it. (I suppose I might just be lucky...or else in need of touching a lot of wood fairly quickly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RightOn

Hmm, despite ordering the laptop under the Quinn School of Business Arrangement 4 days ago, I've still got nothing for them. I rang them today and guess what? My order is cancelled! How marvellous, considering today is the last day we can order them by.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

[edit] <never mind>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

hold up! Righton!! what do u mean the last day you could order it under the quinn school is gone by? damn it! i accidentally ordered it under smurfit school and i've had to cancel my order too. dman it damn it damn it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement