Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leeds - any and all info greatly appreciated

Options
  • 19-08-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

Heading to The University of Leeds in Spetember (mature student - 34). Know little to nothing about the place, though lived in London for quite a while. would appreciate any insights, recommendations, views you may have.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I was born in Bradford which is quite close and moved to Ireland when I was 7. I have loads of family in the Leeds vacinity so have been back quite a few times. I would describe Leeds as a great city for shopping and drinking. Very large student population. Extremely friendly people. Would rate it very highly as a city in the UK. Just a shame about their football team :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Thanks for that daveg, re: the football, team I'm a rugby (union) man so not a problem, but am looking forward to cultivating a taste for League (given the fact that the tykes got relegated last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't know why, but in my mind Leeds always sounded like a grim, post-industrial city to me. I always pictured it as grey and dull with lots of post ww2 "architecture." I was pleasantly surprised when I first visited to find that it's actually a very green city, with lots of tree lined streets of red-bricked properties.

The city centre is pleasant with lots of pedestrian streets and a shopping centre and the night life is decent. It reminds me a bit of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

toomevara wrote:
    Thanks for that daveg, re: the football, team I'm a rugby (union) man so not a problem, but am looking forward to cultivating a taste for League (given the fact that the tykes got relegated last year).

I saw Leeds play Newcastle a few years ago. 3-3 and a cracking game. Not a bad stadium. I'm a Man U fan hence the "shame about the football club" comment ;D
    iguana wrote:
    I was pleasantly surprised when I first visited to find that it's actually a very green city

Roundy park in Leeds, from what I remember, is a lovely place. Massive park. My parents used to bring me when I was a nipper. Saw a superb airshow there many years ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

iguana wrote:
    I don't know why, but in my mind Leeds always sounded like a grim, post-industrial city to me. I always pictured it as grey and dull with lots of post ww2 "architecture."

Think its all that 'grim oop north stuff' permeating our consciousness, because my concept of Leeds would have been exactly the same, before heading there for a couple of interviews in relation to the course. I was massively surprised by the reality and hugely impressed with the Uni, especially in contrast to many Irish campuses. I lived and worked in London for 5 years but the farthest North I ever got was Luton......

• Advertisement
Advertisement