Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Subject for Arts

Options
  • 19-08-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

hi, i will be entering first year arts in september. I know that i want to do History and Economics as my main 2 subjects but am unsure what to pick as the third one. I was thinking about German as i did it for the leaving and got a B2 and would be handy as i want to go into 2nd level teaching. But i was also thinking about doing something completely different like latin or arabic:D I was wondering if people could give me their experiences of any of those subjects? I'd like to know what i'm getting myself into:)
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Greek and Roman Civilisations is a good first year course. Very interesting too!!! Or you could try archaeology... (No, I'm not pimping Hulla :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

thanks. classics sounds interesting alright. any more help is welcome;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

With the new modularised system thats in place you may be able to take both as minors [if they dont conflict with your timetable]

When you're offered your place you'll get a list of subjects and modules and the whole module and credit system is explained... Try Here though in the meantime to give yourself an idea of what subjects you can and can't take [it gives a list of LC subject requirement you may need for certain courses etc.]

Sorry I can't give any info on those courses meself:)

Scraggs wrote:
    With the new modularised system thats in place you may be able to take both as minors [if they dont conflict with your timetable]

When you're offered your place you'll get a list of subjects and modules and the whole module and credit system is explained... Try Here though in the meantime to give yourself an idea of what subjects you can and can't take [it gives a list of LC subject requirement you may need for certain courses etc.]

Sorry I can't give any info on those courses meself:)
    thanks. every little helps;)

Oh and here's the Horizons F.A.Q. page which might be of use too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

You won't be able to do Arabic anyway.
    I'm going to UCD in September and was planning to do Arabic and History but the lecturer died over the summer so it's only 3rd years that will be doing the subject this year. I think Hebrew is out too.

I know this is incredibly off-topic...but we've got another Grimes :eek: uh oh:p

Will they get a replacement lecturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Scraggs wrote:
    Doesn't look like it. On asking if deferring for a year would be an idea until there's a replacement in, not really was the reply!
    Of course I don't know for a fact what's going on, that's just what I was told. I've to try to figure out what subjects I'll take now, not much fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Scraggs wrote:
    I know this is incredibly off-topic...but we've got another Grimes :eek: uh oh:p

Sorry Hulla but this is scary... two Grimes???

Sounds like Arabic is off the menu now, and will not be an option for the forseeable...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No need to apologise, I'm just as worried as you guys!

We're going to have to have a Grimp-off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im seeing double Four Grimeses .

Listen up bud. This forum isnt big enough for the both of us chump . Your on my list of enemies.

Also OP do Archaeology. Its flippin great !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I do Politics and Sociology and Politics would suit your choice of subjects as it overlaps with History and to be honest I found Politics in first year very refreshing the only one subject in Politics is the module, Political Theory which I found very boring as its about the political philosophy of John Stuart Mill, Karl Marx etc.

I would recommend Politics but everyone is different. I would suggest that you go to a lecture to see whats its all about.You can get overall first year timetables in the Arts, Celtic Studies and Human Sciences Programme Office near Theatre P.

Best of luck :)

Chakar wrote:
    I do Politics and Sociology and Politics would suit your choice of subjects as it overlaps with History and to be honest I found Politics in first year very refreshing the only one subject in Politics is the module, Political Theory which I found very boring as its about the political philosophy of John Stuart Mill, Karl Marx etc.

I would recommend Politics but everyone is different. I would suggest that you go to a lecture to see whats its all about.You can get overall first year timetables in the Arts, Celtic Studies and Human Sciences Programme Office near Theatre P.

Best of luck :)
    thanks for the advice

Advertisement