Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The laptop's been drinking

• 19-08-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

HI, I recently spilled a glass of wine over my laptop, I plugged it out straight away, and left it on the kitchen table to hopefully dry out. The 'other half', being unaware of the accident, came down the next morning and turned it on.
    Smoke began to come out of everywhere with a really bad smell. The repair guy in PCworld said the mother board was probobly knackered, and HP's warranty would not cover accidental damage.
    Is it really just fit for the bin or can anything be done with it.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You could attempt to locate a motherboard and try to repair it yourself. Whats the model of the laptop? Any idea if its dry or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Scratchface

I think it's dry by now, but there must be a lot of residue inside. It's a H.P. Pavillion but I dont have the model No. to hand. I can remove the memory and battery etc from the bottom, but I cant get the keyboard off. Any ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You probably should be able to remove the keyboard, theres just different locking or clamping mechanisms with each type of keyboard. I'm not sure about HP, have a look through your manual or maybe someone else with a similar laptop may be able to help. If you come across the model number post it up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I repaired one a few months ago.. was staying with a friend in Cork.. his wife spilled COKE on it!!! Never came on since... (that was weeks before) Coke is very bad as its sticky...

anyway figured what the hell i will take a look.. was well dry after a few weeks. took it apart.. anyway half hour later i found a chip that was oxidised... got cotton buds and cleaned it off... bingo... was grand and worked fine.. there was an issue with charging the battery when i was there but i giess it sorted itself

On a side note... there is nothing stopping you contacting HP directly and tell them nothing :D You might get lucky and they may repair it. I think the repair centre is in santry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Scratchface

Thanks for the advice. I have a freind who used to work for H.P. He said to contact them and play dumb, just say it stopped working.He gave me a number and I got through to Bombay, who switched me back to Milton Keynes repair centre. They troubleshooted it over the phone and sent a courier to my house to pick it up. Said it would be repaired and delivered back in ten days.

What will they say when they see the wine ? I'll say the courier was plastered when he arrived ! I'll let you know what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

You could take it apart and DIY clean it. There seems to be quite a high success rate. Read through the comments on this page.

Advertisement