Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal affordable housing help?

Options
  • 19-08-2006 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

My gf and i had an interview 3 weeks ago with fingal.We still have heard nothing back.They told us 3 weeks.Is this the norm or is the wait longer?Do they contact you by phone or letter??Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Well, as I said in my reply to your earlier message, it was 6 weeks before I had a response. It will be in the form of a letter addressed to you both. Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dublin15

Thanks. We just recieved a letter today saying we got approved. Do you know how much the properties are going for in fingal?? or know of anyone who recently got one??:D

The prices vary. There are some two bedroom apartments ranging from €145,000 and it can be anything up to €200,000-ish for a three bedroom house. It's very difficult trying to find anything less than an hours drive away from the city centre though, which is where I work, so at the moment I just have my fingers crossed!!

Have you recieved any offers yet?? If so how long was it after you got approved?? Do you know of any other up and coming developments apart from the one's on the Fingal website? Any more advice....?? Thanks:)

I've been on the waiting list since February and haven't received any offers yet. Around April, I had a letter to say there were apartments in Balbriggan and a few houses in Lusk available but didn't even get a viewing. I'm pretty disheartened at the moment but hold out hope for the developments mentioned on the website! I don't know anything else but if I get any more info i'll let you know. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

According to the Fingal County Council website, the following Housing Construction projects are currently underway:

1. Flemington, Balbriggan:
    Mixed tenure scheme consisting of a total of 227 houses made up as follows-
    * 124 social units
    * 103 affordable units (49 Affordable Housing Initiative units; 54 Affordable Housing Scheme units)

2. Balrothery, Co. Dublin
    Mixed tenure scheme consisting of a total of 157 houses made up as follows-
    * 60 social units
    * 97 affordable units (38 Affordable Housing Initiative units; 59 Affordable Housing Scheme units)

Other projects underway include:
    * Minister’s Park, Lusk 27 units
    * Dromheath Avenue Extension 23 units
    * Kelly’s Bay, Skerries 16 units
    * Roncalli Road, Sutton 20 units
    * Pobalscoil Neasáin, Baldoyle 44 units
    * Racecourse Common (Phase 1), Lusk 39 units
    * Church Avenue, Blanchardstown 13 units
    * Castlelands (Phase 1), Balbriggan 131 units

Does anyone know when these are due to be completed?

Thanks for that info. Are you on the list?? If so are you waiting long??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I was approved in January, and I've got my first viewing this week. It's in Dun Emer in Lusk and I'm 99% sure I'm going to turn it down.

Thats a long time!!! Do you know if its a house or an apartment?? Do you know how much they are going for??

Dun Emer is pretty far from the station, isn't it? As far as I know, they are houses.
    Yeah, if I get any viewings soon (and God knows I'm owed one!) I'll probably turn them down if they are very far out. I don't want to be stuck commuting for over an hour each day.. I'm just hoping that plan works out and I get something a little nearer the city centre or close to a train station! ;)

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote:
    I was approved in January, and I've got my first viewing this week. It's in Dun Emer in Lusk and I'm 99% sure I'm going to turn it down.
    Hi Podge,
    It is great that you have received a viewing. Are you living in Fingal at the moment? I like the look of Dun Emer, but it is a long way from the station.

It is great the way in Fingal you can turn down a property, and not lose your place. In other areas you go to the bottom of the list.

Batman

dublin15 wrote:
    Thanks for that info. Are you on the list?? If so are you waiting long??
    I am not on the list, but a friend is. She has been on the list since March.

From what I have heard, it is normal for people to receive an offer within 12 months, although I did hear from a councillor that everyone who was on the list last September received an offer of a place by last Christmas!

Karyn wrote:
    Dun Emer is pretty far from the station, isn't it? As far as I know, they are houses.
    Yeah, if I get any viewings soon (and God knows I'm owed one!) I'll probably turn them down if they are very far out. I don't want to be stuck commuting for over an hour each day.. I'm just hoping that plan works out and I get something a little nearer the city centre or close to a train station! ;)

I have friends living in Lusk, Skerries and Balbriggan. I would have though Lusk or Skerries would have been the easiest for commuting, but they have all told me that it is much easier to commute from Balbriggan! Even though it is further out it is easier to get onto the M1 and if they are getting the train (which most of them do) it is less packed at Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

It was the 2 bed apartment in Dun Emer. Seems like a lovely estate but the distance is too much, if it was on the train line I'd take it. I'm going to take my name off the Lusk list now as I don't want to be offered there again and have to refuse.

I'd prefer somewhere around Swords but the chances of getting somewhere around that area are pretty slim I think! :(

Sure if worst comes to worst; Malahide, Sutton or Howth would probably do at a push... ;)

Isn't there a large development called Abbeyfeale (or something like that). There should be a large number of houses becoming available under part V.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Karyn wrote:
    Just wondering why you picked Fingal if you don't want to commute for an hour? Other than some of the places on the Dart line - where demand is highest - nearly everything is an hour's commute or more

Because it's easier to get a house with Fingal than Dublin City or South Dublin- and you don't get punished for turning somewhere down. I know Fingal is far out of course, but I'm looking for something either near(ish) a train.. like Balbriggan.. or else 40-45 mins drive from town like Swords/Blanch/Meakstown. Not everything is very far out. I'm just waiting to see what becomes available. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

the_batman wrote:
    Isn't there a large development called Abbeyfeale (or something like that). There should be a large number of houses becoming available under part V.

Batman: what is part V please, thank u

ircoha wrote:
    Batman: what is part V please, thank u

Taken from http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/affordable_housing_scheme.html

In addition to the Affordable Housing Scheme, affordable housing is provided under Part V of the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2002. Part V allows a local authority to require developers to set aside up to 20% of new developments of five or more houses for social or affordable housing . Each local authority has to include these provisions (i.e., the commitment to providing a percentage of social and affordable housing) in its housing strategy, which form part of the development plan for its area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

the_batman wrote:
    I am not on the list, but a friend is. She has been on the list since March.

From what I have heard, it is normal for people to receive an offer within 12 months, although I did hear from a councillor that everyone who was on the list last September received an offer of a place by last Christmas!

I'm on the local list for Blanch for only about a month now. I had a viewing offer within 1 week of been list approved of a 1 bed place in Balbriggan, needless to say i didnt reply to the council letter about the place as i don't have the finances ready yet and importantly dont fancy commuting from Balbriggan to Blanch where i work.

gurramok wrote:
    I'm on the local list for Blanch for only about a month now. I had a viewing offer within 1 week of been list approved of a 1 bed place in Balbriggan, needless to say i didnt reply to the council letter about the place as i don't have the finances ready yet and importantly dont fancy commuting from Balbriggan to Blanch where i work.

It would not hurt to respond to the council letter and let them know you are not interested, for 3 reasons.

1 it confirms you are still on planet and interested.
    2 good manners. The person at the other end would appreciate it, and they DO remember common courtesy.
    3 the next person on the list would get an offer to view this apartment. {Courtesy batman}

In passing, does the finance approval not follow your decision to accept as your financial postion may have changed from the initial completion of the paper work?

Edit: see www.affordablehome.ie for a new booklet launched 30/08/06 entitled Affordable Housing Handbook
    edit: to add batmans comment from below

gurramok wrote:

Reason number 3 is that the next person on the list would get an offer to view this apartment.

ircoha wrote:
    It would not hurt to respond to the council letter and let them know you are not interested, for 3 reasons.

1 it confirms you are still on planet and interested.
    2 good manners. The person at the other end would appreciate it, and they DO remember common courtesy.
    3 the next person on the list would get an offer to view this apartment. {Courtesy batman}

In passing, does the finance approval not follow your decision to accept as your financial postion may have changed from the initial completion of the paper work?

Edit: see www.affordablehome.ie for a new booklet launched 30/08/06 entitled Affordable Housing Handbook
    edit: to add batmans comment from below

In reply to your 3 points, there is nothing said in the letter to show my disinterest, only a hotline to show my interest in viewing offer. No indication to show that it affects anyone else's placing on the list.
    I'd wish they would do that for all letters posted to everyone else as it would help speed up the process for otehrs affected.

As you said, I will now fire off a short note to them saying i'm not interested for my reasons.
    To explain, my financial position has not changed one iota in a month bar saving the required €700 while on the list, they gave me a loan approval much lower than what was said at interview hence i will need a much bigger deposit to pay for place which in turn means a longer wait to afford an affordable.

I was told at interview that it mostly likely be one year before a place of a viewing offer could be made hence i was a tad bit shocked to receive a viewing offer which is not even relevant to the local list i'm on, this happening 1 week after going on the list!
    I know how the affordable process works, i think that handbook is aimed at newbies :)

gurramok wrote:
    I know how the affordable process works, i think that handbook is aimed at newbies :)

I posted that reference not for you but for other people who use this site as point of reference for such matters.

Thank you for clarifying the other points.

It looks as if the first letter was an error, so I would be checking to make sure you are in the right list.

keep well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

gurramok wrote:
    To explain, my financial position has not changed one iota in a month bar saving the required €700 while on the list, they gave me a loan approval much lower than what was said at interview hence i will need a much bigger deposit to pay for place which in turn means a longer wait to afford an affordable.

Hi gurramok,

I wasn't aware of this stipulation - you have to be saving 700 euro per month while on the waiting list? , seems tough if you are renting already?

How much of a deposit were they looking for roughly, please PM me if you don't want to mention it here (i'm trying to work out just how mcuh i need to save to realistically get a decent place).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Hi gurramok,

I wasn't aware of this stipulation - you have to be saving 700 euro per month while on the waiting list? , seems tough if you are renting already?

Rent can be taken into account as part of your savings, provided there is proof of rent.

However, if you are living at home and "contributing", this is not classified as savings.

Longfield wrote:
    Hi gurramok,

How much of a deposit were they looking for roughly, please PM me if you don't want to mention it here (i'm trying to work out just how mcuh i need to save to realistically get a decent place).

As the_batman said above, i'm with fingal but i guess it works out ok in the end as one gets 'trained' into saving that much money every month which is a good thing.
    I live at home startin my 30's, i wasted my money in my 20's bar the ssia so i've learnt a lesson to save now or i'll never get a place:)
    They need evidence of a rent paid to a bank account to take this into account for your savings total per month, again thats what i was told if i went into private accommodation.

Regarding deposit, it depends how much you get loan approved for, i wont say my personal situation as its a public forum but i was told that 2 beds go for maybe 150k so for example if you get loan approval 120k, that means 30k deposit that you have to get from somewhere, likewise if your lucky to get 140k loan, 10k deposit etc. Minimum i think is 5% of purchase price not including legal fees

Obviously, 2 people applying together who are working would afford a place better than a single person would

At the end of the day, in my view its based on your ability to afford with combination of loan, savings rather than your personal situation, after all the council needs their money back on a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ive read up on this and im still unclear if I can apply.

My girlfriend and i earn under the 75k limit between us, but dont have much savings other than my SSIA. Would that be sufficent proof that we can save (Savings record?)

As i am only a recent graduate i only started my job 2 months ago, but my GF has worked the last 5 years. SO my account wouldnt have a regular income until only 2months ago. Would this matter?

When my SSIA matures we could afford the 3% deposit.

We are also still living at home in our parents homes.

So should I fill in the application form and send it off or would i be wasting my time? I would be applying to South Dublin/RAthdown and Dublin City councils.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

As far as I know you will need a regular income for 6 months.

Savings don't matter to much when it comes to getting a mortgage.

Remember there are 2 affordable houseing schemes,one of them the affordaable housing initative has no waiting list.

Advertisement