Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO offer help

Options
  • 19-08-2006 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

Before i did my leaving cert exams i didnt think i would do very good at all..so i went for course that were kinda lower down in points...

now on my level 8 side i put a honours degree course computer engineering down as my first choice..and then i put computer applications down as second choice..now i did this not thinking right because i actually wanted to ddo the computer applications alot more but never tought i would ghet the points to get in so just put it down second..and the way i look at it now i actually qualified for both of them in terms of points and entry requirements..now the computer engineering one is alot lower in terms of points and the computer applications is higher but i still have points to get into it..

will i only be offered my top choice (comp engineering) or will i be offered the computer applications one as well??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

If you got the points for your first choice you will be offered a place for your first choice. You will not be offered a place for your 2nd/3rd.

The idea of the CAO was to put courses in order of preference. You're a very silly person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

:( dont call me silly ..i never ever tought i would get the points

Ah you're doubly silly. How did you know what the points would be? How did you know what you'd get? Why didn't you simply do what you're told and put the stuff down in order of PREFERENCE. Not I don't think I'll get CA in DCU so I'll put it second.

Man, you can accept you place in Computer Engineering (I presume in DCU) and ask for a transfer to Computer Applications. You should probably get it. However, judging by your knowledge of the CAO system you even know what the difference is between the courses?

Best of luck with the whole thing anyway hope it works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

You put the degree courses in the order of your preference. Then when the courses are being offered you will only get the highest number on your application. If you get the points for your first choice, you do not get offered your second or subsequent choices.

It may be unfair of the other poster to say you're a silly person, but what did you gain by putting you're higher preference course lower down the list? The CAO documentation makes it very clear that you will most likely only get one offer, so make sure that your top choice is your top preference.

If you don't like the course you're offered, you can always wait till next year and reapply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Im in CA myself, andone of my mates in the class James got about 15 points under what was required, he did do very well in some things though (like 3 passes, 2 A's or soemthing) but he got CA and it was his 3rd choice last year.

Doubt the course will completely fill up tbh, wait till 2nd round.

• Advertisement

:( so there might be a chance for me?

like if i reject my computer engineering one..would dcu offer me computer applications then?

ye gilroyb thats another way of doing it i could just try out the engineering one if i cant get into computer applications and then if i dont like the engineering one go for the computer applications one the year after..if thatll work..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Aah dude, i have no sympathy for you im afraid..

If you didnt think you'd get the points why put it down in 2nd place? if its what you actually wanted???!
    that makes no sense.. at all..

but anyways, im sure you've realised your mistake now and you really dont need my input anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

The CAO is a pain in the hole. When my mam did her leaving she got to apply for everything she wanted and was offered everything she had the points for, none of this first choice second choice shenanigans, that's the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i think its fine the way it is..
    its not hard - put what you want in order or preference; simple as.

all those options would just lead to more doubt and indecisiveness on the part of us students. we can change it up til July, which i think is fine, much better than UCAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

iggyman wrote:
    Before i did my leaving cert exams i didnt think i would do very good at all..so i went for course that were kinda lower down in points...

now on my level 8 side i put a honours degree course computer engineering down as my first choice..and then i put computer applications down as second choice..now i did this not thinking right because i actually wanted to ddo the computer applications alot more but never tought i would ghet the points to get in so just put it down second..and the way i look at it now i actually qualified for both of them in terms of points and entry requirements..now the computer engineering one is alot lower in terms of points and the computer applications is higher but i still have points to get into it..

will i only be offered my top choice (comp engineering) or will i be offered the computer applications one as well??
    If they're both in the same college then you can accept the first choice one and do an internatl transfer into the second one, i think. Other than that, you're ****ed. Should have made sure you knew what you were doing when you were doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

iggyman wrote:
    if i reject my computer engineering one..would dcu offer me computer applications then?

You get one offer in the degree category, one in what used be the diploma category, if you reject from either category you don't get another offer within that category.

You're probably best to take what you're offered and hope you like it. If you choose to reapply next year, you can think of it as a grounding for when you start the other course.

iggyman wrote:
    :( so there might be a chance for me?

like if i reject my computer engineering one..would dcu offer me computer applications then?

ye gilroyb thats another way of doing it i could just try out the engineering one if i cant get into computer applications and then if i dont like the engineering one go for the computer applications one the year after..if thatll work..:confused:

Did you read what I posted? You're definitely an idiot.

<edit Timay>Snip,You're walking a thin line!</edit>

everyone else here is tryna help me out and be understanding and your coming along sitting behind your computer screen calling me an idiot..think your real smart dont ya.

maybe back when i was doing my cao i wanted to do the hardware side of computers and maybe i tought that it would be hard getting a job in the software side of computers because there is so many graduates coming out of colleges every year with programming type of degrees..i actually did put some thought into were i wanted to go but in the last month or so im thinking differently..theres noting wrong with that..so stop being an arse-hole ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

BudoKev banned for a week. Cop on. PM me if you want back in.

Advertisement