Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enableing sli

Options
  • 19-08-2006 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Alright chaps.

Just got my old rig up and running again. Installed the new 91.36 drivers. But when windows starts i get a baloon saying that sli is in single card config, even thouhg both cards are plugged in. I have been into the the nvidia control panel and under the sli tab there is nowt apart from some writing and a click here to find out more.

Am i missing something ?

Here are some screenshots of whats going on

dsc00091qu2.jpg

dsc00092jd4.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The monitor is plugged into the top card ( just below the hsf )

The jumpers on the dfi board are set to sli mode.

I cant see a option in the bios to enable sli.

This day is starting to piss me off :(

I have swapped both cards around and same result. Each card also work fine by its self. The sli bridge does work aswell.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There is an option in the DFI bios to enable SLI support for Dual 6600gts:p

Couldnt be any easier...

ANy idea where ? as i cant find the fecker, spent ages looking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I dont know about DFI boards but on the ASUS SLI boards there is a little piece of PCB that you have to switch around to enable SLI also there is another power connector on the mobo which is needed to run SLI

Yeah its very similar on the DFI. its a set of three jumpers, but they have already been moved to the correct posisition

• Advertisement

only things i can see that are anyway to do with sli are the first inti display pci/pciex ( set at pciex ) and ldt lane bus. which is now set to 8 8 instead of 16 16. as im sure it cant run both cards at 16x.

anything im missing conzymaher ?

Its in Genie Bios settings

You can kinda make it out in this picture:

Genie%20BIOS%20Settings%20-%202.jpg

Thanks a mill, will give this a try now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

lol :D

Right just had a look and there is nothing i can change. My bios looks different to yours too ( slightly )

Here is a pic.

dsc00093yb8.th.jpg

*edit*

Sorry for sideways pic.

And yes, i have used all 4 versions of the bios, and still that option has never been there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

If never setup SLI but I have the manual for my XFX 7900GT in front of me and it says, in the section for setting up sli, "The monitor should always connect the second board, like below". So maybe try plugging the monitor into the second card?

Dont know whether this is just an XFX thing though...

ill give that a go. never had to do it before, but its worth a shot.

Anti, thats not my bios its just some random lanparty bios pic i found on google, Try using the latest Bios..

Now that I think of it, maybe you are supposed to leave the SLI jumpers in the default position as the 6600gts dont need the bridge :)

Try putting the jumpers back to default, and install both 6600gts and see if the option is available then

Okay cheers. will give it a go tomorrow

Nope does nothing at all. Have emailed dfi now. Might have to rma this ****er

anti wrote:
    Nope does nothing at all. Have emailed dfi now. Might have to rma this ****er

I doubt its a problem with the board...

Have you tried the latest bios? have you tried googling 6600gt SLI setups?
    Have you tries without the SLI link connecting the to cards?

yep i have the latest bios. I have also tried all the bios's i can find from dfi's webite. I have tried googling it. i have tried the links on nvidias page. I have tried it with and without the sli bridge. I have tried it with the jumpers on the motherboard to dingle and dual vga. but to no avail. Still waiting on a reply from dfi. Last time i emailed them it took them over two weeks to reply !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Are you assuming that your board is capable of Sli because it has 2 full sized pci-ex*16 slots, or because the boards specs have Sli plastered all over them.

Both. The manual states sli. it has the sli jumper, came with the sli bridge HAs two full x16 slots, but in sli they become x8 slots.

It worked with 6800gts just 2 weeks ago, but since then a full format has been done

Ok, just making sure.

From the screen-shot it seems that the board is only picking up the second card and not the first which is odd.

• Advertisement

Yeah i know, They both work by their own, and the pc picks up no conflicts when both are plugged in, and swapped around. Im getting 9843 in 3dmark03 which seems alot higher then what other people get with the same system and overclocked( mine is at stock speeds untill i get this sli issue worked out )

What bios are you using exactly? The enable dual 6600gts seems to be in my sli-dr with the 7-2 bios.

The newest one i installed using winflash is the one at the top of the page http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/bios_download_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3469&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&STATUS_FLAG=A&SITE=US

Have just rolled back to a lightly older version, and i now have the options of SLI Broadcast apature ( auto/disable ) which is in the pnp/pci sub menu of the bios. and in the genie cmos i have a option to run memtestx86. On updating ot the newer version again these options are gone. This is becomming a ****ing joke. with 6800gts is was literally plug and play. With the bios with the only thing about sli i have plugged monitor into all 4 dvi connector, but only works with the primary card, have booted with and without the sli bridge. with the jumpers in single and dual vga.....

Why is there no simple option like " enable sli " ( yes/no )

Would that be to much to ask ?

Odder and Odder, you might have more luck for a answer on the Dfi street forums, if they are still going.

Just thinking, but dont you need to enable sli in nvidias drivers as well?(Dont hit me, it was years since I set mine up and dont have it here to check)

Yeah you do. But for some reason im getting a popup saying that multi gpu sli has been disabled when booting into windows. And in the nvidia driver settings under the sli tab there are no options. I have gone back and tried various drivers from 81.xx even tweakrus's modified drivers. and registery hacks. I think ill just rma the board at this point.

Here is what mine looks like usng the latest Bios on a NF4 Ultra Sli-d:

6600gtae0.th.jpg

My card is in the slot closest to the CPU.

P.s Do you have all 4 power sources connected to your board? Because you probably need them all for SLIing to cards that dont have auxilary power connectors...

Yeah everything is as it should be. to be on the safe side im gonna get a new psu tomorrow, i know 580w should be more then enough but. just incase.

And thanks for all your help with this guys. im sure its as frustrating for you as it is for me

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Have you tried installing one card first, and then installing the second?
    What firmware revisions are on each card?
    I know this used to apply to the initial SLI requirements, and that nVidia has finally dropped the pretense and loosened the draconian restrictions, but it may help.

Spend time reading through dfi-street, as I am confident you're not the first person to see this issue. You'll find a better selection of BIOSes to choose from too.

• Advertisement

ill find this info tomorrow. You may just be right about the firmware. as this was the case in my initial sli setup. as i had 2 revisions of the same card and had to have the firmware flashed., But i though nvidias new drivers got around this problem.

Ill give dfi street a go too. Havent tried it yet, but its worth a shot.

Advertisement