Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enableing sli

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Anti! I thought we told you to go to bed!
    For shame!

I love a guy who knows his way around a computer.

<3

Lusty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Philipshead screwdriver"

Is there anything sexier?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lust4Life wrote:
    Anti! I thought we told you to go to bed!
    For shame!

I love a guy who knows his way around a computer.

<3

Lusty

Shooo, shooooo, back to the cuckoo's nest with you! The is a local forum and we only want locals here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i whoeheartedly agree,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You have installed the mobo drivers from the nVidia site? (just checking:))

• Advertisement

tried this one http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html

still no luck :(

Both card also have the same firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i had issues with my 6600gt sli setup, what i had to do was use driver cleaner and remove all traces of nvidia drivers, then reinstall latest ones

id say everything u have setup there is fine, its probably a driver problem

gline wrote:
    i had issues with my 6600gt sli setup, what i had to do was use driver cleaner and remove all traces of nvidia drivers, then reinstall latest ones

but in his bios it shows up as No card in slot 1? Instead of two pci-ex 8 lanes. Which is definatly somewhat odd.

krazy_8s wrote:
    but in his bios it shows up as No card in slot 1? Instead of two pci-ex 8 lanes. Which is definatly somewhat odd.

no he said he set it to 8-8 in the bios himself
    8x each pci-e slot

the dfi bios doesnt show if a card is in a pci-e slot or not

It does, it says what slot is using what amount of lanes. Look at his pik at the previous page. It says NC Nc *8 *1. It should say *8 *1 *8 *1. On a single card setup the appropriate slot says *16. Hence the "that is odd bit".

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    It does, it says what slot is using what amount of lanes. Look at his pik at the previous page. It says NC Nc *8 *1. It should say *8 *1 *8 *1. On a single card setup the appropriate slot says *16. Hence the "that is odd bit".

ah ok, ages since ive seen a dfi bios ;)

i didnt look at the pics :o
    lol

Okay i think i have this sorted now.

As i originally purchased the board from pcworld ( when i was working there ) and it being on sale and me getting my staff discount, I decided to take the board back to pcworld in swansea ( yes i know its a different country ) But since i worked there i know i can bring my product back to any pcworld shop in the uk and ireland and other stored ownded by dixons group. I managed to find the receipt this morning while checking my documents and such. So i thought i mayaswell bring it back and see what they say. Sure enough the tech department tried it once with 2 7800gtx's from another pc there and no sli. So i got a full refund.

This left me in a sticky prediciment. As they had no other sli boards for amd cpus there. But they did have a nf4 ultra-D Which was not sli enabled but it has 2 full x16 lanes.

This interested me greatly, as syxpak told me to head over to the dfi-street forums and ask there as it would be the best bet. So after joining up i decided to do a search if someone had similar problems. but alas no, i was on my own. But what the search did show up was how to mod the untra-D to sli, just by joining two contacts on the chipset :D I coul also enable sata II aswell by joining another two contacts.

Not bad eh. new motherboard and 50quid in my pocket. for basicially the same motherboard with 4 sata ports instead of 8.

Now I have perofrmed a similar mod to this in the past with a amd 1800+ using pencil lead to join the pins, and using artic 5 to fill 2 contacts to unlock the multiplyer on my juihb ( i think it was )

I have never done this on a motherboard before, so has anyone got any advice for me ? and is pencil okay ? from what i know all you have to do is rub the pencil between the two contacts. Is there anything else i can use , that would be lying around the house ?

Yeah, they removed the ability to mod the ultra-d boards in the 3rd or 4th revision last year.

I think that mod has been disabled either in newer revs of the chipset packaging, or via drivers.

Verify what rev board you have.
    I reckon the board was fine, but you needed to play around with BIOS versions for a bit. Course, I've never bothered with SLI myself.

The DFI boards have a steep learning curve.

ill give it a go anyway, if it dont work ill just swap or sell my two 6600gts.

Is there anything else i can use other then a pencil ?

Nothing that is not too messy. You any good at soldering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Sorry for going OT...

I actually get the same pop up bubble everytime I start windows. Im not even trying to set up sli or anything, I only have one 7900gt running.

The pop up only started after I uninstalled the drivers that came with the card (84.something or other) and installed the latest ones (91.36).
    gline wrote:

I'll give that Driver Cleaner a go this evening and uninstall/reinstall drivers. It'll be interesting to see if it gets rid off the pop up.

Thanks for the info.

mac_leinn wrote:
    Sorry for going OT...

I actually get the same pop up bubble everytime I start windows. Im not even trying to set up sli or anything, I only have one 7900gt running.

The pop up only started after I uninstalled the drivers that came with the card (84.something or other) and installed the latest ones (91.36).

I'll give that Driver Cleaner a go this evening and uninstall/reinstall drivers. It'll be interesting to see if it gets rid off the pop up.

Thanks for the info.

It wont get rid of the pop-up, there is a fix for it but I dont have it handy,

krazy_8s wrote:
    It wont get rid of the pop-up, there is a fix for it but I dont have it handy,

Is this it?: Link

Edit: Third post down.

Hope my mobo isnt fracked like the op...

right im off to give this mod a try. Wish me luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Cheers mate, will give it a try this evening. Does it matter that Im not actually using two gpu's (like the guy who asked the question in your link)?

And will I still be able to go sli in the future?

As a matter of interest, what actually causes the pop up? Is it a mistake on nvidias part? Or my part? Just like to know for future reference.

Oh and sorry for hijacking thread :o

Good luck in your modding OP :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

anti wrote:
    right im off to give this mod a try. Wish me luck

Shiverin Eskimo did the mod sucessfully, there is a thread about it here somewhere.......

And here is a great guide:)

And I think you can mod the newer boards... they just cover the contacts in epoxy so you have to scrape it off....

Wish i seen that before i did the mod, i haeve a feeling i didnt scrape off enough epoxy, im about ot boot in a min so we shall soon see :)

Cheers for the link btw, very nice

anti wrote:
    ill give it a go anyway, if it dont work ill just swap or sell my two 6600gts.

Is there anything else i can use other then a pencil ?
    Prolly answered already, but I'm in a rush.

Conductive Ink Pen.
    Expensive, but works. Has alot of uses (repairing traces when things go wrong, 'joke' tip-ex etc.).

Used it to do XP-MP mods on a pair of XP2400s a few years ago, as good as the day I first booted them in SMP.

I was right i didnt scrape off enough at all, Went at it the second time with a knife, and used some scotch tape to cover the contacts, As the rubber pad was taking most of the pencil off. I wouldnt have thought of doing that if conzy didnt give me the link. cheers mate :D

Now everything is working perfectly.

Here are some pics:

sli1gw9.jpg

sli2hm6.jpg

sli3ep8.jpg

Before i used to get around 8700 in 3dmark03 now im getting:

3dmark03js8.jpg

And a more detailed look:

3dmark03detailsyt6.jpg

Now for a final note.

I have to say a big thank you to everyone that has posted here with any ideas or solutions. And if i decide to go to the boards beers, and any of you are there expect a copious ammount of these to be force fed to you !!!! :D

jagermeisterwv9.jpg

Thanks again

-anti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

anti wrote:

Now for a final note.

I have to say a big thank you to everyone that has posted here with any ideas or solutions. And if i decide to go to the boards beers, and any of you are there expect a copious ammount of these to be force fed to you !!!! :D

jagermeisterwv9.jpg

Thanks again

-anti

wow let me join :D

awhir wrote:
    wow let me join :D

your more then welcome mate :cool:

boards beers?

• Advertisement

yep, look in the AH forum

Its a meeting of boards users in dublin, on the 26th. Its just a place to go get pissed and take out your agression on fellow boardsies you dispise.

Advertisement