Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron 1300 €699

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I just checked the site there...1024 Ram,80GB HDD 15.4" screen?! bloody good value for €699 including vat+del.
    Only draw back is 90 day warranty tho'....still is good for the price indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Only draw back is 90 day warranty tho'....

I would add in the "3 year at home" cover ..... it will cost 85 cents a week over the 3 year period .... what's that?, a 1/4 pint a week? ....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Decent price, as the previous posters said get the 3 year warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

But none of you asked what he wanted to use it for. :rolleyes: It's perfect for internet, email and word. But anything other than that it's not great.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

irlrobins wrote:
    But none of you asked what he wanted to use it for. :rolleyes: It's perfect for internet, email and word. But anything other than that it's not great.
    Mother of god since when is a laptop with a 1.7GHz processor, a gig of RAM and 80GB of hard disk space only good for surfing the web and using word?

The only thing you're not going to be doing on it is playing games outside the remit of flash.

You can run multiple operating systems on it, have a myriad of office related programs open concurrently, watch films, burn DVDs...

Jesus irlrobins. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

CuLT wrote:
    Jesus irlrobins. Jesus.
    Yes, but aside from internet, email and office apps, what else is there to do on a PC? Games! :p

Yea, I should have expanded the list a bit. But what I was trying to get at was that it wouldn't be good for games. There's always a few threads on "Why is my new PC not able to play games". So just wanted OP to be aware of that. It's grand for everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its a Celeron M, not a Pentium....

And I think what irlrobin meant was you won't be running anything hugely demanding on it, not that it was limited exclusively to the exact things he mentioned, in which he was right.

The ram is good but with a 1.5 or 1.6 Celeron you are fairly limited...of course you can watch movies, burn dvds, surf the web, use office applications - but I'm pretty sure irlrobins meant all these things too, just not overly heavy multimedia apps or games...

Basically its fine for what most people use laptops for anyway...it's not worth upgrading to the P-M if all you do is the above, but if you plan running demanding apps it would help. If its basic college work/light web usage/DVDs/that sort of thing, it's fine as it is.

Plus, the Celeron M is pretty decent. Not as bad a performer as the older celeron chips at all - it can actually run games too provided they aren't TOO new in conjuction with the fact the lappy has the GMA900 video - my friend can run Warhammer 40K Dawn of War, Call of Duty, Command and Conquer Generals, and a few other 2002/2003 titles pretty decently on his 1300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

For 850euro delivered
    upgrade CPU to pentium M
    battery 6 cell
    add external mouse
    3year at-home service support

pretty sweet spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

majiktripp wrote:
    Only draw back is 90 day warranty tho'
    Thats not a 90 day warranty.. no company in the EU can offer less than 1 year warranty on any electronic goods.
    Thats a 90 day collect and return service plan. If something is faulty after that time they still have to honor the warranty and send a replacement part or laptop repair if needed.

I read the Dell service plan thingy and they seem to be sure they can get away with a 90 day warranty on new equipment.... As far as i knew it had to be 1 year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Saruman wrote:
    Thats not a 90 day warranty.. no company in the EU can offer less than 1 year warranty on any electronic goods.
    Thats a 90 day collect and return service plan. If something is faulty after that time they still have to honor the warranty and send a replacement part or laptop repair if needed.

I read the Dell service plan thingy and they seem to be sure they can get away with a 90 day warranty on new equipment.... As far as i knew it had to be 1 year!

I'm still confused. So what happens outside the 90days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement