Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring files

Options
  • 19-08-2006 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

Looking for some help, I hope I have posted this in the right section. I want to transfer a large amount of files from 1 laptop to another. They both have XP.I have tried the file transfer wizard and I am using a UTP Crossover cable for networking. The wizard gets as far as "autodetect" and then doesn't seem to detect any connection. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

check that the LAN is actually enabled

check your workgroup. should be probably 'MSHOME'

try this to check the ip address
    start menu -> run -> cmd -> ipconfig
    check on both laptops. should be along the lines of this address -> 192.168.0.??? on both

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Checked both laptops. The host one seems to have the right settings, the other one tells me that "media disconnected"
    I thought this would be so easy. All I want to do is transfer things like Sonicstage(about 4GB) and various documents and e-mails.
    There must be an easier way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

its called dvd/rw's amazingly ! or usb memory keys

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

it sounds like its not a cross-over cable.
    and anti is probably a bit right. but it is a waste of dvd's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Doh ! Didn't realise that DVDs could hold that much stuff.
    Excuse me while I go off and stand in the stupid corner.
    Just started moving the files onto dvd, it's tedious but it's working.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Hope their rw's so you can use them again :)

Advertisement