Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to look out for

Options
  • 19-08-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

A kid called to the door (roughly 13 or 14 years of age) with a green sheet of paper asking for sponsorship of a 10K walk for a school in Clonsilla. I have no problem sponsoring any kid for a good cause, but I hate being taken for a mug :mad:

I asked this kid where his school was. He responed with in Dublin. I asked again where it was, but he had to refer to the sheet of paper and could bearly say "Dublin 15". There was no date on the sheet to indicate when this sponsored walk was taking place. So I asked him. He replied "25th". I questioned "of August?", he said yes and then said "Halloween" :confused:

I noticed on the sheet, that other people had sponsored him, but their names were eligible and no one had posted addresses. Granted he was getting €2 & €3 from other sponsors. He just happend to mention that his clothes were old and he needed new shoes and that's when it clicked that he was doing these door-to-door calls for his family. There are no schools open until September, why would they be doing a sponsored walk at the end of the Summer holidays :confused::confused:

I sponsored him any, as I hate to see anyone stuck, but I just thought to let you know.

If you find this post in any way offensive or demeaning, please accept my apologies as that was not my intention

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Was he local do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

No, not at all. His English wasn't great and he said he was here (wheather in Ireland or Dublin) for 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Had a caller to my door a couple of weeks ago saying the same thing - grilled him for a few minutes and he ended up legging it when I asked him for the number of the school so I could call them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Gippos the lot of them, I see them hanging about at the 84 bus stop outside St Kevs in Blacklion. I usually give them some Lead to go with their Silver and Gold.

Advertisement