Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know...

Options
  • 19-08-2006 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

In 2005 the Maths requirement for I.T in NUIG changed, does anyone know what it changed to??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

OA2 or HC3 in Mathematics or, alternatively, a pass in a special Mathematics entrance examination approved by the Faculty of Engineering will be acceptable.

I think thats the requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

Yeah, thats what I read in the prospectus and everything, but I think that it may have changed in 2005 due to the high failure rate, cause it says in the book "Please note that the Mathematics requirement changed in 2005". See I missed out on the Maths requirement this year though I'm well over the points requirement. I think I've missed the special maths test in the college too cause I've been out of the country till yesterday, and the offers are out monday so I'm really bamboozled, I really want to do this course!!!!!

The examination will take place on August 23rd 2006
    Venue: The Aula Maxima
    Time: 10.00a.m. - 12.00 noon and 2.30a.m. - 4.30p.m

The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 18th August 2006

Email an application tonight and you might get away with it.

Link to application form:http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering/documents/specialmaths_form.pdf

Link to past papers:http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering/documents/samplemathspapers.pdf

So print-complete-scan and email before Monday would be my advice as the requirement currently is:
    The entry requirement for the B.Sc. in Information Technology is a Grade C3 or better in Higher Level Mathematics or a Grade A2 or better in Ordinary Level Mathematics.

Thanks alot man, seriously good help!!! I hope they will accept late payment.. I hope! So any idea's on how people who sit these exams are offered their place considering offers are out monday?

I'd imagine you get offered the place on the basis that you get the exam you get the place, but I'm only guessing, I also suspect it depends on the number of applications. I have to stress I'm only guessing here.

I also can't see for the life of me why you need such a high level of maths for a B.Sc in I.T. Logic is the only real part of maths that you need imo.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks alot. Really Appreciate it!

Jus got an email back from the head of the department, they said to phone first thing Monday morning and they'll see if they can accommodate me, but he was unsure if they could.... here's hoping!!!

Advertisement