Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming mouse - optical or laser?

Options
  • 19-08-2006 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

this might have been done before, but with boards search not working right its hard to find old posts.

my ms explorer 3.0 is dieing and i need a new mouse and don't know which is the best to go for
    the optical mx518 looks good
    but are laser mice like the copperhead and g5 worth the extra cost?
    im using a icemat atm and have heard laser mice have problems on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

im using the mx518 myself, great mouse imo. wireless has to be charged and batts can go at any time :/ not great for gaming when you want to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Wired, lazer ftw!!

(g5)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

*edit*

Logitech have a good bundle with a MX510 and a Steelpad... I got mine for around €25 from OcUk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

conzymaher wrote:

Laser FTW!

Logitech have a good bundle with a MX510 and a Steelpad... I got mine for around €25 from OcUk

ok this ftw stuff is confusing me 0_o

you tell me laser then you say mx510 which is an optical mouse :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Cant go wrong with a G5 really. Amazing mouse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mx 518

Best mouse ever!!!

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

there all the same to me, standard optical mouse on a wooden drawer & i have never had a problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

a G5 all the way, i used one for awhile and just had to buy one :D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

tuxy wrote:
    ok this ftw stuff is confusing me 0_o

you tell me laser then you say mx510 which is an optical mouse :confused:

So it is. I always thought it was a laser mouse:o

Anyway, The MX range is great...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Due to my receiver breaking I now have two Logitech MX1000's, which means I have one charging while using the other. Thus I have the bonus of no wires without the running out of charge crap.

I absolutely adore this mouse. It's got enough buttons to handle WoW with ease along with incredible acuracy for FPS's. I can't see me getting another mouse for along time (unless the receiver breaks again).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Go for wired. Just got an cordless MX610 (i'm a leftie, and its the only leftie designed cordless laser mouse out there). Had some serious issues with something causing interference with it (most wireless logitechs suffer from interference if you read up on their forums), I live in an apartment block so its hard to tell the neighbours to turn off their wireless devices. I just put the dongle on a USB extension cord and moved it around (like you would the old rabbit ears) until the pointer wasn't stopping and starting anymore. It works now but out of the box I shouldn't have to worry about these problems so I was a little annoyed.

I'd ONLY go wireless if you need to have your mouse away from the computer (I use it as a remote when watching movies) otherwise go for one of the high DPI WIRED Logitech mice. If you game alot and only need your mouse at your computer, stick with wired, the mouse is a lot lighter due to there being no batteries thus easier to make precision movements, and you can be guaranteed no interference.

Like others, if you're a rightie (DAMN YOUS :mad: ) i'd recommend the G5, ultra high dpi laser for accuracy, it allows for adjustable weight for preference and frankly the best gaming mouse out there atm... if your right handed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

L31mr0d wrote:
    Go for wired. Just got an cordless MX610 (i'm a leftie, and its the only leftie designed cordless laser mouse out there). Had some serious issues with something causing interference with it (most wireless logitechs suffer from interference if you read up on their forums), I live in an apartment block so its hard to tell the neighbours to turn off their wireless devices. I just put the dongle on a USB extension cord and moved it around (like you would the old rabbit ears) until the pointer wasn't stopping and starting anymore. It works now but out of the box I shouldn't have to worry about these problems so I was a little annoyed.

Odd, I'm running a wireless network and have a bluetooth adapter and have never had any connectivity problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thanks for the advice guys, mixed opinions so i don't think its worth the extra cost to get something like the g5
    im going for the mx518

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Mx1000 for the super duper win! :)

Never had any problems with it and run wireless networks and am encompassed by a few. My second wireless mouse and I would never go back to a wired mouse, so god damn annoying. I never have trouble playing games with it and the extra buttons come in very handy. Also, love the extra weight in the mouse and it's size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I've never used the later Logitechs, but I'd stand by the MX510 any day of the week. Great mouse.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

G5.

Make a poll!! ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

im using the mx518 myself, great mouse imo. wireless has to be charged and batts can go at any time :/ not great for gaming when you want to
    G7 Comes with 2 batteries and can be hot swapped, battery meter on the mouse, i've had mine for ~6months, easily best mouse i've ever had(had mx518, mx510, mx500, and a G5 for a while amongst others..)

never had any issues with interference, live in an apt block, and used it at a bunch of lans..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

chamlis wrote:
    I've never used the later Logitechs, but I'd stand by the MX510 any day of the week. Great mouse.

I've had the 510 and the 518. My 518 broke recently, so I went back to the 510. I can safely say that I don't think the extra dpi made any difference whatsoever. Save your money and get a 518 or 510 IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I have the razer copperhead(laser) and i love it. used to have a wireless mouse but boy did it piss me off sometimes!
    Now I can never complain about my mouse.

I was stuck between a g5 and a copperhead but after using a g5 i didn't like the scroll wheeel, a bit too sensitive and on a personal side mice like most logitech types(the ones that fit your hand kinda thing) i find awkward to play games with but nice to browse the web

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

microsoft are rereleasing the ie3.0 that's if you can hold out until september

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

My MX1000 Bluetooth mouse lags, so I never threw out my old Intellimouse Explorer.

But now that's being temperamental, so are there any Bluetooth gaming mouses?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

G7 Comes with 2 batteries and can be hot swapped, battery meter on the mouse, i've had mine for ~6months, easily best mouse i've ever had(had mx518, mx510, mx500, and a G5 for a while amongst others..)

never had any issues with interference, live in an apt block, and used it at a bunch of lans..
    Couldn't agree more, best mouse ever. Everything you could want in a wireless mouse, no lag, no interference, hot swapping batteries (which if you're imaginative/sad enough is almost like changing a gun clip :) ). It also has all the accuracy/high dpi of the wired G5, changeable at runtime and so on. They do come at a premium, but quality always does.

Advertisement