Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

down for no reason

• 19-08-2006 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever felt like this or can even understand it?

The past few weeks I have been feeling really down, and I shouldnt be at all because in the past year I have passed my exams for college to get into final year (I had to repeat my 2nd year so this was a big thing for me) I have a really nice girlfriend - good looking too (the hottest ive ever gone out with). Ive a good group of friends, I play sport. i could go on and on but you get the picture- theres nothing wrong. so many people are worse off like when I see hundreds of innocent children needlessly losing their lives in lebanon I know I should appreciate more what I have but I dont. I dont even know why Im posting this, just to get it off my chest mainly. Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

You are going through life changes, both physical and mental. Depression sometimes occurs. If it persists, perhaps see a professional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Budo.Judo.Kev

Anyone ever felt like this or can even understand it?

The past few weeks I have been feeling really down, and I shouldnt be at all because in the past year I have passed my exams for college to get into final year (I had to repeat my 2nd year so this was a big thing for me) I have a really nice girlfriend - good looking too (the hottest ive ever gone out with). Ive a good group of friends, I play sport. i could go on and on but you get the picture- theres nothing wrong. so many people are worse off like when I see hundreds of innocent children needlessly losing their lives in lebanon I know I should appreciate more what I have but I dont. I dont even know why Im posting this, just to get it off my chest mainly. Thanks for listening.

wow I could say the exact same thing except I was only down today and it was unusual. I also don't know why i'm posting this. you'll be grand I'd say.

I've felt this way for about 6 years now. All I can suggest is to give it some time and see how you feel in a few weeks time. If it persists you may want to see someone as there could be underlying issues that you're not aware of. Maybe repeating your exams put you under a lot of strain? I know that can affect people in some unimaginable ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think everyone goes through something similar at times. It is hard to watch the mess of a world and we all try to appreciate the luxury we live in compared to others less fortunate. Maybe devote some of your time to charity if you have any to spare or something. It might make you feel a bit better and help out those in need also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭lau1247

ok i felt the same way at times.. maybe bcoz I haven't found the right girlfriend like you have..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I feel like this a lot, and i don't know what the causes of it are but i'm sure there is something reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks everyone for the replies, even reading them made me feel slightly better. U all raised some good points. I suppose if it doesnt pass I might try a counsellor or something like that. Cant see it doing any harm.
    @Ruu -I always wanted to do some charity work but with college startin back soon and my part time job I have very little time to devote myself to it but I suppose 1 night a week or something wouldnt kill me!

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dublinlawyer

Ive been through this before and I know its not easy.
    My advice is try and determine 'the time' when you started to feel this way or even acknoweldged that there was a difference in your mood.
    Dont overanalyse it too much. Thinking less and clearly is what you need not more.
    See if there are any changes in your life around 'the time' - you could find that any one of the things you should be happy about - entering final year or going out with this nice girl - are the actual cause of the depression. In particular do you have insecurity issues around the girl. Or are you afraid of failing your final year. Once you know the cause, then talk about it and the problem will be halved.
    If none of that works go to a doctor.
    Theres my bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

Ur feelin down and you think you shouldn't, you're looking for a reason and can't find one, and this is totally normal! Bet you've not eaten on some days and not been starvin, yet other days you eat and you're still hungry!

Do get some help if it keeps up, your Gp, your friends, your family, an anonymous helpline, just don't bottle it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I know exactly what you mean. It has happened to me a few times. There might not necessarily be anything wrong in my life, but I might feel really down and sad and tired for a few weeks at a time. This might happen once a year or so. The last time was a few months back and I think my boyfriend was a bit worried about me because I told him about it. He got me some pharmaton fizzy ginseng tablets and I don't know if it was a placebo effect or the tablets themselves but I did feel better after a few weeks.
    Like you I have a really good life, lots of friends, a great boyfriend and family, I play sports and am very sociable.
    I sometimes find that small things like a change in the weather or bad days at work can bring it on.
    Anyway from all the posts it looks like a lot of people go through this. I suppose it's a very mild temporary depression. Just give it time and it does help to talk to someone about it - even if it seems like a silly problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 bozo

i think everyone feels like that from time to time. i know i do and it bothers me but emotions are something we have no control over... yes you've every reason to be happy with your life.. but sometimes we just float through life going through the motions, without being happy or sad just comfortable in our surroundings! so if its just a passing phase i wouldnt worry about it. Keep the chin pu and im sure when you'll snap out of it soon! You're just being normal!! all the best x x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Feeling down for no apparent reason is likely to be depression - extremely, extremely common. But obviously I can't make a diagnosis. Definitely seek help for it, because if it is depression (probably is if you still feel like this in about a fornight's time) then it gets worse if untreated. More severe depression can be extremely distressing. Don't worry. You'll be ok if you get help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

I felt like that once when i was around 23. I had a long term g'f, super career, money but i just felt empty.

eventually I got out of it.

Exercise was a big deal in helping me. Just the happy buzz from training lifted my mood in other aspects.
    But that's me....

It could be just an odd period....

Perhap a challenge of some sort will give you a stimulus to focus on and then you mightn't feel so aimless...That's what worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭This is

personally i reckon everybody in the world will get this from time to time.
    i believe there is a balance between every emotion in the human spirit., the blues hits everyone, just try to remember why or how it hits you and make ur own remedy.

Advertisement