Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need veteran airsoft opinions

• 19-08-2006 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

After alot of looking around, it seems to me that the best priced Airsoft guns are on SpeedyToys (correct me if im wrong). So basically i have narrowed my choice down to 3 guns off their site, so i need the opinions of Airsoft veterans to help me choose, expecially if you have used any of these before. So can i have the pro's & con's of each of the following please:

AK47 (metal), 260-280fps: $85
    http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=602&catid=9

AR-15 (plastic), 280fps: $99
    http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=339&catid=9

UTG Sniper Rifle (metal, 315-325fps): $130
    http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=324&catid=3

BTW, the last link is to a sniper rifle. The description says it is 315-325fps (which is just under the 1 joule limit) but it also says it is 450fps if you use a lighter 0.12 gram BB as opposed to the standard 0.2 gram BB. Reading more of the description, it says "Please only use .20 gram high quality BB’s with this item in order to keep it in working order. Using anything else as ammunition for this gun will void the warranty and may cause it to jam." so would i be right in taking this to mean that the gun is legally within the 1 joule limit because you basically have to use ammo that its not designed to use to get over the 1 joule mark?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭whupass

415 with a .2g bb is WELL over the limit but the lighter the bb the smaller the joule rating so you would have to go faster with a small one to go over the limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

whupass wrote:
    415 with a .2g bb is WELL over the limit but the lighter the bb the smaller the joule rating so you would have to go faster with a small one to go over the limit

The link says the sniper rifle is 320 fps with .2g bbs and 450 with .12g .So it says it goes up with lighter bbs but as shigsy says the warranty is void and it will jam if you use anything other than .2g bbs. So wouyld it be under the 1joule? surely a lot of airsoft guns would go over the limit if you use a particular ammo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Stekelly wrote:
    surely a lot of airsoft guns would go over the limit if you use a particular ammo?
    The energy limit is the kinetic energy of the projectile. A given firearm should not be able to exceed a particular amount of kinetic energy imparted to the projectile. However, Ek=1/2MV^2, so vary the mass and the velocity you get varies - while the total energy remains constant. There's a Kinetic Energy calculator here that might be useful.

no, you see what i was saying was that a .2g at 450 fps is more than 1 joule but a .12g at 450fps is not more than 1 joule because the mass of the .12g bb is less than the .2g bb. A .2g bb at 328 fps exerts joule of energy but in order for the .12g bb to exert 1 joule it has to go faster, say 450 fps (i don't actually know haw fast)

get it now? you see at the end of Shigsys post he said

"so would i be right in taking this to mean that the gun is legally within the 1 joule limit because you basically have to use ammo that its not designed to use to get over the 1 joule mark?"

i'm not sure but i took this to mean he thought a .12g at 450fps would be well over the 1 joule aloud and that is what i was trying to correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bniall

Shigsy wrote:
    After alot of looking around, it seems to me that the best priced Airsoft guns are on SpeedyToys (correct me if im wrong). So basically i have narrowed my choice down to 3 guns off their site, so i need the opinions of Airsoft veterans to help me choose, expecially if you have used any of these before. So can i have the pro's & con's of each of the following please:

AK47 (metal), 260-280fps: $85
    http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=602&catid=9

AR-15 (plastic), 280fps: $99
    http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=339&catid=9

UTG Sniper Rifle (metal, 315-325fps): $130
    http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=324&catid=3

BTW, the last link is to a sniper rifle. The description says it is 315-325fps (which is just under the 1 joule limit) but it also says it is 450fps if you use a lighter 0.12 gram BB as opposed to the standard 0.2 gram BB. Reading more of the description, it says "Please only use .20 gram high quality BB’s with this item in order to keep it in working order. Using anything else as ammunition for this gun will void the warranty and may cause it to jam." so would i be right in taking this to mean that the gun is legally within the 1 joule limit because you basically have to use ammo that its not designed to use to get over the 1 joule mark?

Thanks.

both the ak and ar-15 are good, but depends what your after. I like sniping because of the range and its cheaper on bbs as you only need 1 :) . The utg is good and .2g bb's are standard, a hint if your worried "if its yellow it usually .12g and dont use it in modified guns or snipers" a .2g can be bought on any airsoft website and at every airsoft game site also at around £5 for 3000 which is way too much for a sniper but its nice to have a backlog for storage :>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

whupass wrote:
    ...i'm not sure but i took this to mean he thought a .12g at 450fps would be well over the 1 joule aloud and that is what i was trying to correct

Ah, i see what you mean now (i think). Well then i can assume it is ok to buy this sniper rifle?

So back to the AK and AR-15. Basically what i want is an AEG that is as close to the 1 joule limit as possible, is accurate and has a good range, and is around €100. So do these 2 come under that heading? :)
    I know they are both only around 0.75 joule but i can't seem to find any AEG that is close to the 1 joule limit within my budget. Can anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

Shigsy wrote:
    Ah, i see what you mean now (i think). Well then i can assume it is ok to buy this sniper rifle?

So back to the AK and AR-15. Basically what i want is an AEG that is as close to the 1 joule limit as possible, is accurate and has a good range, and is around €100. So do these 2 come under that heading? :)
    I know they are both only around 0.75 joule but i can't seem to find any AEG that is close to the 1 joule limit within my budget. Can anyone else?

Its ok to buy the sniper its fps with a .2 is under the limit.
    Well ya they do come under that heading, but any purchase over $100 has free shipping so you're a cent off, maybe if you bought some ammo too.
    This is as close to the limit as you will get within your budget. Its 300-330fps.http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=556&catid=9
    Hope that helps,
    Strawbs :cool:

i made a $1.500 order on speedytoys once and got charged shipping, it is only gizmos that give free shipping

Surely the free shipping only applies to orders within the US? I made up an order of 3 AEG's which came to around $330, and there was a shipping charge of roughly $150 then added to that. I didnt go through with the booking (thats a crazy shipping charge!).
    So is gizmos free shipping to Ireland if you spend over a certain amount?

what site are you looking at? www.gizmos-uk.com give free shipping to all of europe on orders over €100

• Advertisement

whupass wrote:
    what site are you looking at? www.gizmos-uk.com give free shipping to all of europe on orders over €100

I was talking about speedytoys expensive shipping, never looked at gizmos so ill check them out now :) Anyone buy from gizmos before? Just want to know how releiable they are, considering theres a sticky with a fairly poor opinion of them (in fairness, it is only 1 opinion).

whupass wrote:
    i made a $1.500 order on speedytoys once and got charged shipping, it is only gizmos that give free shipping

Oh, ya sorry, i always mix them up! :( Anyway, theres a thread back in the Airsoft forum and it says not to buy from gizmos.
    I cant say, ive never used them. And btw, $1,500! What did you get?

I had a look on Gizmos and they dont have an AEG im interested in. They are all either too weak (0.5 joule) or else are too expensive. I think the prices on speedytoys are very good (around $100 for a 0.75 -> 1 joule AEG) but the shipping is a joke so im trying to find a site with speedytoys style pricing, but reasonable shipping. Do any exist? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Try these, i like the format of the sites, easy to nav, and their in the price range your looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭da7a

Shigsy wrote:
    Basically what i want is an AEG that is as close to the 1 joule limit as possible, is accurate and has a good range, and is around €100.

Sorry to break it to you but this does not exist! Youre not going to get a decent Aeg, battery, charger and extra mags for less than 300 euros. Dont waste your hundred euros on those speedy toys pieces of crap.
    Save up and get a proper tokyo marui AEG. If youre planning on taking youre AEG to a skirmish you will be completely outclassed in terms of accuracy, fps and reliability. The fps on the cheaper guns is often far less than reported on the stats page and the accuracy tends to be piss poor, as is the build quality.

328fps is 100m/s, and a 0.2g bb travelling at this speed possess the energy of exactly 1 Joule. Anything from 280 fps to 320 will do you fine.

check these out
    http://www.fire-support.co.uk/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=41

da7a wrote:
    Sorry to break it to you but this does not exist! Youre not going to get a decent Aeg, battery, charger and extra mags for less than 300 euros. [/url]

Heres one that does exist.
    http://www.speedytoys.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=556&catid=9
    Personally, i dont like it and i myself am getting a TM. But this has what hes looking for. Just saying.
    Strawbs

http://www.affordableairsoft.com/CYMA_AK47_Metal_p/cm028s.htm

Ok, can i have some specific feedback on the gun above? Im seriously considering buying it. I've read reviews on it and they all rate it either 4/5 or 5/5 Apparently its is pretty durable considering its mostly metal, and the range and accuracy are pretty good. Powerfull enough too, around 0.75 joule so it seems good value.
    Some feedback from people who know what they're talking about? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Shigsy wrote:
    http://www.affordableairsoft.com/CYMA_AK47_Metal_p/cm028s.htm

Ok, can i have some specific feedback on the gun above? Im seriously considering buying it. I've read reviews on it and they all rate it either 4/5 or 5/5 Apparently its is pretty durable considering its mostly metal, and the range and accuracy are pretty good. Powerfull enough too, around 0.75 joule so it seems good value.
    Some feedback from people who know what they're talking about? :D

Does that site ship to Ireland? If so, how much? I can't find anything about international shipping there. Hopefully they do b/c I found the gun I'm looking for for a good price. Any help us out?

hate to burst your bubble but when you try to send them to ireland from affordableairsoft they only have the usa

Dont worry about how ill get it (ill get it off ebay or another site) i just want to know what the gun is like acording to people who have been playing airsoft for a while :)
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Shigsy wrote:
    Dont worry about how ill get it (ill get it off ebay or another site) i just want to know what the gun is like acording to people who have been playing airsoft for a while :)
    Thanks.

You can't get guns off ebay as they don't ship international orders. And I have doubts over you finding a site with reasonable shipping. If you do though, let me know. ;)

I've seen plenty of airsoft guns on the german ebay that ship to anywhere in europe. Shipping is usually good too, i just cant find a gun i want on it yet :)

Anyway, back on topic:

Originally Posted by Shigsy
    http://www.affordableairsoft.com/CYM...l_p/cm028s.htm

Some feedback from people who know about Airsoft guns?

It seems good, has a metal gearbox and a good fps. Almost as good as TM id say. Only problem is it seems to have a weak stock and says that it will eventually brake, you could always get a better one if that happens. Heres where you could get one: http://www.airsoft128.com/xcart/catalog/VER319_CYMA_AK47S_Style_Electric_Rifle-p-34229.html
    Strawbs

-Strawbs- wrote:
    It seems good, has a metal gearbox and a good fps. Almost as good as TM id say. Only problem is it seems to have a weak stock and says that it will eventually brake, you could always get a better one if that happens. Heres where you could get one: http://www.airsoft128.com/xcart/catalog/VER319_CYMA_AK47S_Style_Electric_Rifle-p-34229.html
    Strawbs

Yea they dont ship outside US, the assh0!£s

Well, your name suits you. He can just get it from someone like speedytoys.com or wgcshop.com or wolfarmouries.co.uk one of them should have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

Thats cold man, your as much a n00b as him. Comparing that AK to a TM AK...disappointing young padowan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

moneyman wrote:
    You can't get guns off ebay as they don't ship international orders. And I have doubts over you finding a site with reasonable shipping. If you do though, let me know. ;)

Oh how I prove you wrong! :P Just kidding

EHobby Asia

Check their feedback, they're brilliant! :D

Hauk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Harekin

They only ship to the United States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I got stuff from eHobby last week. They do ship to Ireland. I emailed about the stuff that only has the US listed as delivery and they sent it no bother.

• Advertisement

Harekin wrote:
    Thats cold man, your as much a n00b as him. Comparing that AK to a TM AK...disappointing young padowan.

Thats cold? He called me an a##hole! Plus i said 'Almost as good as a TM'.
    Key word being 'ALMOST'. Ive actually seen one of those guns since, not so great, so i apologise. :o Everyones wrong sometimes, so chill with the n00b stuff.

-Strawbs- wrote:
    Thats cold? He called me an a##hole! Plus i said 'Almost as good as a TM'.
    Key word being 'ALMOST'. Ive actually seen one of those guns since, not so great, so i apologise. :o Everyones wrong sometimes, so chill with the n00b stuff.

I wasn callin you an asshole, i was refering to US sites that have savage deals/guns but dont deliver to ireland. You misread my post -Strawbs-

Oh, Sorry man :o

-Strawbs- wrote:
    Oh, Sorry man :o

All good -Strawbs-

Advertisement