Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Tomatoes-Tips

Options
  • 20-08-2006 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

My next door neighbour gave me a few tomato plants which I planted in containers in the garden...they are coming along fine.... about 3 ft high and some fruit beginning to form....I have them staked etc and they look healthy....

Any tips to bring them to fruition?

They are outdoors in a sunny place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

My next door neighbour gave me a few tomato plants which I planted in containers in the garden...they are coming along fine.... about 3 ft high and some fruit beginning to form....I have them staked etc and they look healthy....

Any tips to bring them to fruition?

They are outdoors in a sunny place

Hey there, my girlfriend grows her own tomatoes and other beg, she says to put them in a "grow bag" if you can, they are very small compost like bags that you get from a garden centre (or even some tescos). If you can get some glass and put it up against the bag to increase the heat that the plants receive (they need as much heat and natural light as you can give them). Water them daily, but not too much, give them "tomato feed" every couple of days in the early stages, and then just be patient and wait...

My girlfriend planted some about 2 months ago and they are just ready to pick now, the weather is getting cooler latley so try your best to get some glass to keep them warm, maybe put them in a porch if you can either...soemtimes the leaves go a bit yellowish, dont worry, just give them a bit more water than usual...

You could also put some cucumber seeds/plants in the grow bag if there is room, these grow perfectly over here and they grow quite fast too...treat them the same as the tomato plants...a plant will cost about €3 and you should get about 6 big cucumbers from one single plant...

Good luck, let us know how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You really need to get them under glass now if you can.

If you can't - 'stop them' pinch out the tip. Don't let any more flowers set and concentrate on getting the fruits that are forming ripe.

The cool weather greatly limits the total crop you can get from outdoor tomatoes but they do taste fine.

As the other poster said -- feed them heavily -- tomatoes are from the potato family and gross feeders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

thanks a lot... for the info...

Advertisement