Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt Question

Options
  • 20-08-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

I bought a car in england yesterday, wanted to get it vrt'd on wednesday.

What documents do I need to get it vrt'd? I have one slip of paper from the V5 document (think it's section 9) that i signed saying I am the new owner of the vehicle, will this do?

I know the law is to have it vrt'd by the end of the next working day but what will the gardai say if I get caught at a checkpoint?
    Obviously I dont have the car taxed because it isnt registered here yet.
    The car is insured and thats the only disc I have in the window.

Cheers
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

dub_dan wrote:
    I have one slip of paper from the V5 document (think it's section 9) that i signed saying I am the new owner of the vehicle, will this do?

wrong part - thats the part the previous owner sends to Swansea, you need the remainder of the V5. You will either have to contact previous owner to send it to you, or contact DVLA yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

u need sections 1 thro 8 of the V5

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

whats the story with the garda if i get stopped at a checkpoint with no nct and no tax, will they/can they take the car? or will they understand, or does it just depend on the guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mcdonnst

whats the story with The nct.
    When you import a car do you have to get a fresh nct or will their MOT do?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

mcdonnst wrote:
    whats the story with The nct.
    When you import a car do you have to get a fresh nct or will their MOT do?

MOT means nothing here. Once you register the car here and pay for your motor tax, the car details will be sent by the tax office to the NCT who will then call you for a test.

You will only be able to get an NCT up to the date of first registration of the vehicle.

For example;
    If you buy a 95 Ford in the UK which was first registered in Feb of '95, you then bring that car for its NCT test, the cert will only be valid till Feb '07, ie. you wont get a 2 year NCT cert for the first time test of an imported car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

dub_dan wrote:
    whats the story with the garda if i get stopped at a checkpoint with no nct and no tax, will they/can they take the car? or will they understand, or does it just depend on the guard?

the tax is the main one.
    Officially if your car does not have a valid motor tax disc then you are entitled to drive on public roads and you will be fined if caught.
    They could turn a blind eye, but that's a big chance to take !

Was there a current english tax disc on it when you got it...If so leave it on the car until you get your irish tax disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

bucks wrote:
    Once you register the car here and pay for your motor tax, the car details will be sent by the tax office to the NCT who will then call you for a test.

That's what I presumed, but it's wrong - you physically have to call down to the NCT with your new vehicle reg cert and put it on their system and book a test. I went through the whole process about 6 weeks ago...
    The VRT guys allow/make you to tax it straight away though (how nice of them :p), so you don't need and NCT cert for your first taxation of the vehicle.
    whats the story with the garda if i get stopped at a checkpoint with no nct and no tax

Nothing - tell them you just bought it in the UK, and you're getting the VRT paid tomorrow.
    I know the law is to have it vrt'd by the end of the next working day
    I waited about 10 days, and the VRT guys in the Santry office didn't even say anything about it (and the date of sale was on the UK reg cert) - they're helpful enough. As long as you pay it "soon", I doubt it's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

That's what I presumed, but it's wrong - you physically have to call down to the NCT with your new vehicle reg cert and put it on their system and book a test.

I only ever had to do that once and that was because i needed the car NCT'd asap for insurance reasons.

All the other cars ive brought in i have either waited to be called or a few days after taxing it i email the head NCT office and they arranged a test for me.

Things might have changed now since i brought in my last car in March '06.

Advertisement