Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

looking for the impossible?

Options
  • 20-08-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Right ...here's a task for you all.

My dayly commute is 2 x 10 kms on bad, narrow, speed limited back roads full of potholes. (realistically I should be cycling or use a Honda 50 ...but the road is too dangerous and the weather too bad)

Evening and weekend activities usually involve my wife and three dogs (large, medium and small) as well.

So currently I drive a 99 Suzuki Jimny, which is ideal for the narrow, bad roads and with the back seats permanently down and a boot liner and dog guard also accomodates the dogs comfortably, as the boot is about 1 m long, 1.5m wide and 1 m high .

I'm fairly happy with the Jimny, it is reliable and cheap to run. Only problem is ...when we're all in it and want to do a bit of shopping or transport something, there is no additional room.

So for the last few months I have been looking for something slightly bigger.

There is one problem though ...I don't want to increase my running costs significantly and I have a small budget.

The Jimny currently costs 272 tax, 550 insurance and gets about 35 mpg

I would like to trade it in (hoping for 4 to 5 k) and spend an additional 3-4 k max an something else. So around 8k max.

The likes of Skoda Fabia, Polo, 206 estate etc are out ...the boot is too small
    Focus estate ...I just don't like and they are overpriced as well.
    Kangoo and Berlingo multispace would be an option, they also tend to be very pricey though.

Mileage should be max 60k for a petrol, max 100k for a diesel.

I'd also consider an older bigger estate (max 2 litre) but then the running cost just runs away ... (and if it's a "tank" it becomes undriveable on the roads I use every day)

A commercial could be an option ...but it would have to be something unabused, in good nick and have at least one sliding door and windows in the back door(s)

Any ideas?

Comments

Advertisement