Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any surfers

Options
  • 20-08-2006 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

i just joined up to the boards and was interested in hearing from some surf dudes....I'm only learning the ropes and would love some advise on the right board for me.... I'm still renting....i'm heading to the fleadh ceol next week and might slip over to bundoran for some splash!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hey! Definately head to Bundoran if you can Tulhan strand is probably the best surf in Ireland when you get the right conditions. What height and weight are you? Knowing this will help us recomend a board, for example, I'm 6'1" and 11 stone, for me a 7'2" board is good for the first two years or so, longer board=better stability but a bit slower, overall easier to ride when your starting off. At the start this seemed like it might be a little too short but after a little while I got used to it and found that it was better suited to me then the longer 7'10" board I had been using.

Hoping to be ready for a 6'4" in about 2 summers town. By the way... forget about the cold during the winter, get a thicker wetsuite cause the swells alot better in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

thats briliant thanks a mil,

i'm 5'4 and weigh about ten stone! Where do you surf mostly?? i noticed your based in dublin,...i just find it so hard to get down to the decent spots. I'm heading to portugal for a week at one of the surf hostels in eiriceira!

Been looking for second hand boards for ages but finding it hard to get anything affordable!

I surf mostly in Donegaul, been going up since I was a kid. If your up there and are looking for a lesson Easkey Britton has opened a good surf school in Rossnoughlagh, its bout 20 minute or less drive from Bundoran going through Ballyshannon, thinks its bout 35 for a 2 hour lesson with better boards then everywhere else, foam top but proper epoxy bottom unlike the adventure centre or surf club that use full foam boards. If you drop in there and get a lesson they will be able to judge your ability and reccomend you a good sized board, should have some cheapish boards there aswel. Easkey is one of the top female surfers in Ireland and was featured in the last edition of Kitesurf magazine.

I know you may not want to get a lesson thinking your good enough now but it never hurts and its always more fun and safer to have more people out on the water with you that know the currents and tides.

Hope this is of help to you.

no way never to good to learn. Like i said i'm a beginner...I'l go looking for that school! Trip on hold for the minute as dublin are playing mayo in croker next week and can't miss that! will definately be down soon though. need to get some practice in so i don't make a fool of myself in portugal!

Ooh sorry thought i'd mentioned that last time...booked a week in eiriceira surf camp in portugal!! surf lessons all day every day for a week.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I did a bit of surfing there a few weekends ago. It was great craic. I'd love to get out there and do a bit more. Just gotta find a good group of people heading off sometime :)

i'm the very same. i'd love to get a group of people together who are at the same level though. none of my friends are into surfing really and my boyfriend can't swim. he'd love to give it a go but he's a bit slow to take the plunge.

i reckon if i had a few people to go with id be heading surfing at any chance!

Never a good idea to surf when you cant swim, bit dangerous. Cant't wait to get up again. Brought my girlfriend surfing recently for the first time, I have a friend or two that are into it aswel so I can normally get a group to go. Cant ask for anymore time off work though. We'll see how Im working when College starts back and I'll try and head up again.

Where you based littlesurfer?

We should try get a group of boardsie's from beginners to semi-pro's :cool: and head off somewhere for a weekend. Teach the beginners a few moves. Give plenty of notice like October or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

• Advertisement

I'm sure I posted up there a few days ago :S
    Anywho just posted again

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I'm 6ft and got a bic 7'9 which is doing me fine to start. I try to make Sligo or Donegal every two weeks and usually bring a few heads with me cos I hate to surf alone. See youse out there

up for that anytime!!! would be good to get a group together sometime!!!

I'm based in dublin....but my boyfriend is from mayo so we can be down there a good bit! also was looking into joining the east coast surf club...bit sceptical though...haven't seen too many good waves around here though!!!

ooh, just found the "support the surfing forum thread"....it was impossible to find the surfers for a while on the boards....can't believe theres no designated thread already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

i'd be willing to join this beginners surfing group. haven't tried surfing yet but would love to..

How about we get 5/10 total beginners or something and head down in a month? Get as many of our friends to head down too even if their not surfing, be good fun all round. Head down to Sligo/Mayo.

Anybody interested?

sounds great....i'm going to be at that surf camp in portugal for a week on the 11th but after that i'd definately be up for it!

Ya lucky thing!
    Well we should try and arrange something for like the last weekend in Sept gives everybody plenty of notice. + We could start a thread closer to the time

I say we go to Donegaul. There are really nice houses in Bumdoran that are relatively cheap to rent, they are in Bundoran so right beside the best Waves in Ireland. Surf Championship was held there a while back.

I'm up for anywhere tbh. Once we get the people together we can decide where to go :) So your up for something in and around the end of sept 68?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Good luck with the surf camp. Sounds great. I did one in France and had a lot of fun. I was in Strandhill at the weekend and I brought a few beginners with me to get some lessons. Saw a seal. It swam right up to me. Magic! There are two schools there - PerfectDay and Strandhill Surf School. They will sort you out for boards and suits but ye need to book in advance cos the sport is taking off and the classes fill up quickly. The days of just renting a board without instruction are disappearing due to insurance reasons and to be honest a class is the best thing for the craic and for getting the basics. Strandhill is good for the seaweed baths and massages afterwards aswell. Dunno about the east coast surf club. I've gone down to Tramore a few times and it was great but Sligo is nearer for me. Gotta go.

Yea strand hill is where I tried it. Myself and a friend go pulled out a damn good distance by a tide though. It took about 30/40mins to swim back in. Not a bad experience for a first time haha. At least I'm used to it now and it didn't put me off. A lovely bath after the weekend. Ahh ya gotta love the camping too, twas a terrible wet weekend but one of the best weekend!!
    Would you be interested in heading too cue?

That seal experience sounds awesome, a kodak moment!

yup yup sounds good. i'l start a new thread when i get back on the 18th if nobody else has done yet!!!

kjt, depending on location and what way I am with work/college yeah I would be. I'd have to get a few friends to come too but I'm pretty sure one of my surfer friends would be up for it aswel and then if it's in Donegaul some of my friends would come cause they have family up there to stay with. We shall have to sort out the details when everyone is back from various surf camps, and hoidays.

Maybe this could be an awaerness campaign weekend for the surfing forum? Or even a grand opening for it? *looks to the mods*

Yea that sounds like a great idea, a grand opening. Sticky it in our new forum SURFING... pending approval ;)

The more the merrier, Maybe October would be better seen as everybody would be back and used to college life/jobs.

Yeah October sounds better, plus, October means better swell up there, bit colder but who cares, just means I wont be wearing a shorty. Got a bit of interest from friends of mine aswel.

I feel we should start a thread with nominations for Mods, reckon it would show how much we want a surfing forum or would the powers that be see at as being pretntious? Just thought it might move things along quicker, didnt want to start it till I got other peoples opinion...

lol I like the idea but it might be a bit cheeky, no? I was thinking of maybe setting up a website for surfing around Ireland but I'm sure there's plenty already. Probably be a waste of time.

october is good as long its not the weekend of the 14th.....other than that i can be free to go whenever. might round up a mate or two aswell.

as far as the thread goes....not really sure what thats about...still too new to know about how this all works...

PS...anyone have a good homemade solution for a sore tummy??????

Lots and lots of chocolate and jaffa cakes and cookies. Haha and people say I have sweet tooth.

Try a bit or hot chocolate/milk?
    OR the brilliant idea of all idea's, take a sleeping pill and sleep it off lol

• Advertisement

the chocolate i'm willing to try...but the sleeping pill might be a bit much......hey so is your signature born from real life experience????

Advertisement