Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Milk Tasting like crap?

• 20-08-2006 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey, the food and drink boards dont have room for mike so ill post here! :>

Our milk tastes like crap if its been opened for longer than 10 hours. The date on the one i opened yesterday was the 28th and it seriously smells like its gone off, it doesnt taste any better either. Our fridge is working perfectly and has no problems with it. Its been tasting like this for the last month or so. Has anyone else noticed this about their milk?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Mike tastes the same to me .... :D

Milk on the other hand, thats a tough one.

In before its locked whooo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Is the fridge on low enough? For summer months I generally turn mine down a notch. The problem may also have started with the fridge in the shop you bought it from. My mum recently threw a load of milk she'd only bought the day before in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Our milk is less treated than a lot of other countries.

I prefer our milk any day.

That said, bring it back to the shop if it ain't alright. Where'd you buy it?

Milk down south's been good so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Irish milk is amazing, its the one thing I really miss when I'm away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Count yourself lucky you don't have to taste teh mank they have in the US. :) "Vitamin D" INDEED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

The reason the milk goes off so quickly is because idiots in store rooms don't put it into fridges quick enough. In the summer the milk heats up, gets put back on the fridge and cools again, gets picked up by customer and heats up on way home cools again in the fridge, at this stage there's no way it'll last till best before. I have seen this so many times in supermarkets. I'm sick of cream, milk etc. going off the day after i open it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/detail/661137b.jpg

This will solve your problems and is very good for you:) Make sure to get this one, the others have sweeteners etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ruu wrote:
    Count yourself lucky you don't have to taste teh mank they have in the US. :) "Vitamin D" INDEED!

ROFL.. I remember my first days moving into the US. I go down to the supermarket to get milk. There must of been 50-60 different kinds. Picked one I thought was the correct one only to find it was absolutly vile.

Finally found 50/50 milk was the closest to Irish milk but even that was mank.

I now drink tea without milk at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

slightly off topic....
    was in a local pub on Friday night and ordered a Tia Maria with milk (a drink I love) but the milk tasted really bad, the next stage would have been lumps :eek: That turned my stomach big time. It had probably been left out on the counter all night instead of being in one of their many fridges.
    No one is ever going to be drunk enough not to notice sour milk:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Thank jebus that title was a mistake...
    Saw Irish Mike tasting like crap, then came back a few minutes later to see Irish Milk. It's not nice to make people think they're insane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

deisedevil wrote:
    The reason the milk goes off so quickly is because idiots in store rooms don't put it into fridges quick enough. In the summer the milk heats up, gets put back on the fridge and cools again, gets picked up by customer and heats up on way home cools again in the fridge, at this stage there's no way it'll last till best before. I have seen this so many times in supermarkets. I'm sick of cream, milk etc. going off the day after i open it.
    Yep! I reckon this is the truth. More and more frequently I'm throwing out milk before its best before date. I take care to get it to my fridge as quick as possible.

This wasn't a problem as little as 5 years ago. Think the problem is this: there are too many people in the supply chain now that don't appreciate this is fresh milk not U.H.T. milk, which is the milk they are familiar with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Believe it or not, when the dairy farmers take the cows off grass and feed them silage it effects the taste of the milk... and the beasts are going on silage just about now!!!

Who remembers milk in real glass bottles with that two inches of cream on the top??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Can't say i've noticed any change in milk tbh. Milk from plastic containers has always and will always taste rank! Cartons ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

boneless wrote:
    Believe it or not, when the dairy farmers take the cows off grass and feed them silage it effects the taste of the milk... and the beasts are going on silage just about now!!!

Cows don't go on silage for another month, especially with the current fodder shortage most farmers will be hoarding what silage they have.

Ahhh, talking like I were a farmer fills a void in my being... People who come to Ireland from America always seem to comment on the taste and the colour of Irish milk. I've never a difference, is it just the states, or ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I personally would not notice cause milk does not last longer than one day in my house.

If i buy 2 litres of milk it will be gone that night or at the latest the next morning.

Milk with cerial in the morning and usually a glass of milk with some toast.
    Milk with lunch and dinner. Milk with snacks such as cookies(milk is a must) throughout the day and then of course milk with supper.

I drink so much milk im ****ting pure calcium.lol.:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

I lived in the North for years and talk about bad milk. Of course it is much cheaper.
    There's no comparison in taste though unless you get the expensive stuff from Ayreshire or Jersey. Almost all Northern milk is sold in plastic containers, not the paper bricks in the south and so there's a funny taste on all of it. It's also much more watered down in the North. The full fat in the North tastes almost like the half fat in the South.
    And, those litre plastic containers, you could leave them in the fridge for a week and the milk would never go off..,. something might be wrong there I think.

There's an interesting conseqence though. Chocolate bought in the North doesn't tast half as nice as the stuff from the South. Ask people from Derry and they'll tell you that they go over the border to buy beef and chocolate, as well as deisel.

The Cadbury's stuff in the North's imported from england and the Southern stuff's made in coolock and the taste difference is because of the milk quality.

This is the truth folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

full fat milk tastes disgusting anyway!!

supermilk all the way, i haven't noticed any difference in its taste though tbh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Malteaser! wrote:
    supermilk all the way, i haven't noticed any difference in its taste though tbh!!
    Ugh, i can't stand that watery crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sure Milk is only Pus anyway no wonder it goes rotten so quick:)

http://www.rense.com/general26/truth.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Don't buy the plastic cartons. The light getting at the milk makes it go off faster. Only buy the cardboard ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I'd agree. Milk seems to keep better in cartons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

I love irish milk, best ive tasted anyway. Supermilk is best of the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

In the north, they kept delivering milk in bottles for years after here. It was gorgeous. I used to pig out on cornflakes when I was up there. Have they stopped bottled milk in the north now?
    Nicest milk in Ireland is Nenagh milk. You can get it Limerick, Galway, Tipp etc. It's far nicer than any other Irish brand I've tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

of course you think full fat tastes awful if you've never drunk real milk.

Bit like declaring all french cheese disgusting, because you're used to eating, easy singles.

Advertisement