Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A disapointing 3 from Vista ..

• 20-08-2006 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

what kinda numbers are you guys getting ?

performance.GIF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Mneh,
    I work for Microsoft, recently got a "Vista-Ready" laptop from them which was a 2.0ghz Centrino p4, 2ghz RAM and a 256mb Nvidia graphics card.

Id suggest updating your RAM to 2ghz and you might get a better score!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Mneh,
    I work for Microsoft, recently got a "Vista-Ready" laptop from them which was a 2.0ghz Centrino p4, 2ghz RAM and a 256mb Nvidia graphics card.

.. and what number did it get ?
    GaRtH_V wrote:
    Id suggest updating your RAM to 2ghz and you might get a better score!

I assume you mean GB ..

so you're saying that upgrading my RAM will increase my rating .. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Its clearly your hard drive, Its either too slow or too small?

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Are those scores rated out of 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

oh nooess!!!! Microsoft thinks Im lame!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I believe the maximum rating for individual components is still unspecified though the overall "main score" is limited to a maximum of 5.

Keep in mind the WinSAT which is what gives those scores is used to measure if your PC is capable enough to run Vista not some overall performance benchmark, and as a way to show you what if anything needs to be upgraded.

The low hard drive score could be just as a result of total space even if you had a blazing Raptor HD it may still mark you down because the HD wasn't big enough (speculation on my part).

From what little I know of it the whole thing is still a bit up in the air with whether the scores will remain fixed or change over time as hardware advances.

8T8 wrote:
    The low hard drive score could be just as a result of total space even if you had a blazing Raptor HD it may still mark you down because the HD wasn't big enough (speculation on my part).

If its based on space then its only checking the system drive .. seeing as I have another 200GB drive in there as well which is less than a quarter full ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If anything less than the top of the line uber machine got a 5, i'd be disappointed. Vista is going to be around for 5 years, so consider what was top of the line when XP launched, and where that hardware is rated in the grand scheme of things today.

It's a bit like comparing a 3dmark 2001 score to a 3dmark 2006 score, and complaining that one is less than the other.

Hopefully Vista will finally put that 3d card that sits idle alot of the time to good use, uses dual cores effectively, allows greater and more efficient RAM usage (esp. in 64bit modes), pushes 64bit and 4/8gb RAM configurations as the standard, while supporting new non-legacy devices out of the box, while also allowing newer tech like flash/hybrid HD's to be used, as well as stuff not thought of yet. I already have a perfectly good OS in XP to do the stuff that I do today, and can move to Linux if wanted, Vista/Leopard/updated Linux is for using the power of the whole machine thats available next year, not the stuff on the market now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

And where od you download this vista benchmark tool from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Im guessing you need one of the versions of vista, would make sense to have it in xp now, to show ppl what they need to upgrade to get the full benefits of vista when it comes out.....

CC

• Advertisement

anti wrote:

I'm running vista beta 2 at the mo .. it comes with the OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Awww thats a pity i would have liked to run the test to see what my rig gets , it would have been a good laugh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You would have easilly got a 4.8 or higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

O yeah definatly .lol :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

astrofool wrote:
    If anything less than the top of the line uber machine got a 5, i'd be disappointed. Vista is going to be around for 5 years, so consider what was top of the line when XP launched, and where that hardware is rated in the grand scheme of things today.

It's a bit like comparing a 3dmark 2001 score to a 3dmark 2006 score, and complaining that one is less than the other.

Spot on.

In 4 years time, we'll be laughing at our 3 GHz processors and meagre 1GB of RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Vista won't tell me if my PC is awesome or not, Crysis will.

Who the hell cres what score you get with them, they just want you to buy a new PC from their pals Dell or someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

anti wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx {Edit: I'm guessing}

Just be warned (see attachment):

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Awww thats a pity i would have liked to run the test to see what my rig gets , it would have been a good laugh!!

Man that p3 would totally pwn vista's ass and look at that 320mb SD Ram! Dude!! Id say 8.9... Look out vista!

Advertisement