Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion needed

• 20-08-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Attached is a picture of my beautiful new (to me :)) metallic black Passat (*Troy McLure voice* You might remember it from the latest pictures thread :D).

My question is should I get the windows tinted (not limo dark mind, but lightly so). I think it'd look better but what do you guys think?

Then, can you tell me approx how much it'd cost, how long it'd take and any recommendations on where to get it fone properly/at a non-rip off price?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Hi all,

Attached is a picture of my beautiful new (to me :)) metallic black Passat (*Troy McLure voice* You might remember it from the latest pictures thread :D).

My question is should I get the windows tinted (not limo dark mind, but lightly so). I think it'd look better but what do you guys think?

Then, can you tell me approx how much it'd cost, how long it'd take and any recommendations on where to get it fone properly/at a non-rip off price?

Cheers!

A company called Shades in northwest business park did a car for me a few years back, only took a couple of hours back then it cost about £250 punts.

Honestly though it might look a bit odd on the passat, its nice as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Tint on black cars doesn't look well IMO. Was contemplating doing my focus, but really I think it detracts from the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers lads.. I'll think a bit more about it.

On another point, I had a set of Philips GT150 bulbs (H4) in my Mirage which I found really improved visibility compared to the standard/Halfords ones. I've done a bit of checking and am I right in saying that I'd need the H7 type for the Passat?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I right in saying that I'd need the H7 type for the Passat?

Correct

Quick related question..

According to this the Osram Silverstar bulbs are the best of the best, so would I be best getting 2 or 4 of these? - I'm assuming the high/full beam bulbs in the Passat are the same as the dips but used exclusively for this purpose?

Ta! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be going for a dark tint on the rear side windows, and a lighter tint on the front side windows. looks really good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

maidhc wrote:
    Tint on black cars doesn't look well IMO. Was contemplating doing my focus, but really I think it detracts from the car.

i agree but i would consider a light tint on the backs and nothing on the fronts. there lots of black eastern european estates with heavy black tints and they just look like vans. is it possible to remove the film in the future?

cantdecide wrote:
    i agree but i would consider a light tint on the backs and nothing on the fronts. there lots of black eastern european estates with heavy black tints and they just look like vans. is it possible to remove the film in the future?
    Well the Mitsubishi Mirage I had last had a film on the back windows that just peeled away.. it was too dark for my liking and more a kind of fabric almost than I expected.

Would 2 different tints on the side windows not look silly tho? :) Also, whats the limit these days.. 30% or something?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Maybe a silverish tint would be better with the chrome effect on the sills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

def a light tint it looks classier on a passat than limo solid black.
    tintit came to me, did mine and it looks bang on.

• Advertisement

Silver tints are so knacker-ish!

No I don't think silver is in the running at all.. black ftw :D

Any links/prices guys?

Oh and anyone any idea about my lights question above? Cheers!

Vision in Walkinstown are roughly around €50 plus VAT per window. they give a 10 year warranty and are top banana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mcardle49

Hi ,can anyone out there recommoned any company in dublin that do car windows tinted.All ready have one price but seem s to be a bit expensive at 360 euros.
    Thanx:confused:

Where did you get a price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mcardle49

Seen it an ad on the notice board in tesco in maynooth,so just rang the number.I sure they are located in maynooth he said He dose it in his spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Dark tint on a black car will really cheapen the look of it....
    I reckon you'd just about get away with 35% all round but I'd still think long and hard about it if I was you and try to get a look at one which has already been done in the same tint you want first.
    And don't get it done on the cheap - that's okay with a '91 starlet or something but for a '02 Passat go to the best place you can and get it done right ;)

Vision Signs and Window Film, Unit 20 Beechlawn, Greenhills Rd, Dublin 12, County: Dublin, tel: +35314500622, fax: +3534097938

Give them a ring. they are the best I've found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,686 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be a bit wary of tinting a black car. Toyed with the idea of getting my Black Mondeo done and then the Black Octavia, but think it could end up looking like a drug dealer's car.

Had the wife's Ibiza done (see attached) by Shades in Blanchardstown. Rear windows are 20% tint and front's are 35%. From the side they look the same tint but there is noticable difference from inside. The light in the pictures makes it look like the fronts aren't done.

Talk to Bryn or Martin in Shades on 820 9008. The Ibiza was done for €200 but that was a special price from the motor show a couple of years ago. Think it will be around €300 to get a car done now. Use the guys quite a lot for corporate stuff and never have any complaints.

Advertisement