Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

• 20-08-2006 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Looks like it's gonna be "21 year old" Obafemi Martins. SSN reporting a £10.9m fee has been agreed and he's on Tyneside today discussing personal terms.

From what I know about him his finishing isn't the best but apparently he's still only a kid having broken into the Inter Milan team at 18 and is one of the quickest players in the world. Looks like a very good player. We needed a striker, any striker, so I'll be happy with him. I never wanted Kuyt to begin with. With Owen out for the season we need pace up front.

SSN also reporting Boumsong is heading to Juventus for £2.5m. If that's the case then that leaves us with just Craig Moore as back up to Taylor and Bramble so Roeder better have a replacement lined up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Will be a very good buy , I can see him working off Ameobi very well .
    He is extremely pacey and although his finishing does leave a little to be desired he will score a good few goals .

A new centre back is definetly needed , and a solid one at that not another Boumsong or Bramble .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Definite potential for Cisse like flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Personaly I would prefer Klaas Jan Huntelaar. He looks amazing and a deadly finisher.

Seem him against Ireland on Wednesday and his movement, awareness of other players around him and his finishing is top class. He is the kind of player you really want to see Newcastle going after, show some real ambition.

Martins might be a good buy, IF we know for sure he is 21, otherwise we are getting robbed again.

Ameobi looks like he is injured AGAIN!!! We really need to bring in two centre-forwards, a good centre-half and a left back.

Hopefully Cole will go to Chelsea and we can get Wayne Bridge then.

Maybe if Kindalo agrees, we could ask an Mod to change the name of the thread to "Newcastle United Transfer Rumours/Discussions", We have needed one of these threads a while now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

How long do newcaslte have to buy new players? We need some badly!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

evilhomer wrote:
    Maybe if Kindalo agrees, we could ask an Mod to change the name of the thread to "Newcastle United Transfer Rumours/Discussions", We have needed one of these threads a while now :)

Yeah I agree. I think there's only a handful of Ncstle supporters on this board but I suppose if Blackburn have one then it could work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Support +1 :)
    Kinda lost interest in the football scene over the last two seasons, but Im really back on track now, getting sky back in, and hope to chat about newcastle with other boardsies.

Definite potential for Cisse like flop.

Perish the thought.

His career goal record thus far looks something like this...

(including sub apps)

Serie A - 28 goals in 88 games

Champions league - 9 goals in 22 games

UEFA Cup - 5 goals in 4 games

Int - 3 goals in 2 games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

isnt he really 28 or something?

SSN are no longer reporting on the Martins story so it's possible that they jumped the gun and he's not in talks today. Earlier news is still up on skysports.com here but they never delete old stories.

Helix wrote:
    isnt he really 28 or something?

Martins, Inter and his passport all say he's 21 and I expect Newcastle will have done their homework.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i remember hearing a while ago that there are suspicions of the legitimacy of his passport tho

Brian McNally of the Sunday Mirror:
    Newcastle United will today move dramatically closer to a £10million swoop for Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins. Martins' agent Patrick Bastianelli will fly into Newcastle today to hold transfer talks with Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd.

And Newcastle are hopeful that they can thrash out a deal with both Martin’s representative and the Serie A club that will allow the powerful Nigerian international to move to Tyneside and help solve manager Glenn Roeder’s striking problems that were compounded by a serious injury to England World Cup star Michael Owen and the retirement of former skipper Alan Shearer.

The Magpies have also put a firm offer on the table for Real Madrid’s £2 million-rated Danish midfielder Thomas Graveson and Shepherd expects to have a definite answer from the Spanish giants in the next couple of days.

Scottish champions Celtic, who can offer Gravesen Champions League football this season, are also in negotiations with the Dane’s representatives, but Newcastle are confident they have the financial clout to see off the Parkhead club.

And the Toon’s French flop Jean-Alain Boumsong, an £8.5 million buy from Rangers 18 months ago, was last night close to a cut-price move to demoted Italian outfit Juventus.

Shepherd was locked in telephone talks yesterday with Juventus officials as he tried to hammer out a permanent deal that would take Boumsong to Serie B.Bundisliga club Hamburg are also eyeing Boumsong as well as Monaco.

But it is the swoop for Martins- who has also attracted attention from Portsmouth, Spurs and Valencia that will capture the imagination of the Toon Army.

The lightning fast 21-year-old, who can reputedly run the 100 metres in under 11 seconds, has found the back of the net 49 times for Inter since bursting into the Serie A side three years ago.

Martins didn’t join the rest of his team mates in a pre-season trip to Mallorca, sparking suggestions that he is on standby to fly to Tyneside if Shepherd can clinch the deal.

Inter are asking £12million for wantaway Martins, while Newcastle will start the bidding at around £8million. But the arrival of Hernan Crespo from Chelsea could persuade the San Siro giants to accept an offer in the region of £10 million.

Newcastle have been conducting their own inquiry into claims that Martins was actually 27 or 28, but there is growing evidence that the confusion was caused by a clerical error on the Nigerian Football Association’s website and that the striker was born in October 1984.

New Aston Villa boss Martin O’Neill would like to take the Magpies winger James Milner back to the Midlands after last season’s loan spell and could tempt Newcastle with a £3million bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

hes played 6 seasons in italy one with regiana, so if he broke into inter team at 18 in 2001 that makes him 25.

Unless he played for reggiana at 16.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    hes played 6 seasons in italy one with regiana, so if he broke into inter team at 18 in 2001 that makes him 25.

Unless he played for reggiana at 16.

kdjac

He only ever played for the Reggiana youth team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

As someone mentioned he could be another Cisse. But I hope not for Newcastles sake. It would be nice to see them do nice for once!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think that martins would be a good signing but im not sure if Newcastle are really thinking far ahead with him cos himand owen as a partnership would have scary pace but no real physical presence, id swear Newcastle wanted a Shearer rplacement and thats why they wanted Ashton prior to Martins.

so is this being changed to the Newcastle thread cos im interested in the above mentioned milner story. would he be let go? we would want him back at Villa for 3million.

And i wonder as this talk of a need for another defender, will the talk of Woodgates return be heard again to replace his replacement Boumsong.

So long as the soap opera that is NUFC continues then so shall this thread...

Real Madrid have completed the signing of Diarra from Lyon so that should pave the way for the sale of Graveson whom Roeder's already spoken of signing. He said we'd have 3 new signings this week so that just leaves Bridge, dependant on whether Chelsea sign Cole or not. I think a replacement for Boumsong should be a higher priority. Would love to see the return of Woodgate.

so is this being changed to the Newcastle thread cos im interested in the above mentioned milner story. would he be let go? we would want him back at Villa for 3million.

I hope if Roeder has any sense he will keep him as a replacement for Solano, because i'm sure Dyer is not going to play enough to replace Solano.
    And i wonder as this talk of a need for another defender, will the talk of Woodgates return be heard again to replace his replacement Boumsong.

It would be a big risk to spend any kind of cash on Woodgate as he has notoriously been injury prone. A top quality centre-half is needed too shore up the defence though, if we got woodgate back really cheap (and I mean Really cheap). then yeah sure he would be worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

I would take anyone over Boumsong, and i mean anything!
    The amount of times i have come close to breakin my TV throwin stuff at it in disgust last season, nothing could be worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

I wonder with all the talk of a takeover, will freddie shepard be reluctant to splash the cash on a £12m striker. I'm not too well up on how it works exactly, but surely he will get a better price for his shares if the club holds off spending the money that has been reported for martins, graveson and bridge (also include £5m duff).

Would be great if we landed them though!! Imagine being able to field this team!!

Given
    Carr-Taylor-Bramble-Bridge
    Dyer-Parker-Emre-Duff
    Martins-Ameobi

With
    Moore, Graveson, Milner, Luque, Nzogbia and Solano on the bench. I reckon that would be a pretty strong team and squad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

kinaldo wrote:
    He only ever played for the Reggiana youth team

But he played in the under 20s world cup with babayaro in the same year :D

So you have to wonder how old he really is, im going with 25.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Did Babayaro appear in an u20 WC in 2000? He turned 21 in 1999 :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Babayaro and Martins played in an OLYMPICS team not a youth team, babayaro was one of the 3 over aged players and martins was about 17-18 at the time, that is the only thing I can find that hyas them both in the same squad that isn't the first team.

Never the same u20, u19,u18 etc.

Infact Babayaro may not have even been over age, because the Olumpic soccer age is u23 and 3 over aged players allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

teamtalk.com say a £10 mil figure has been agreed between inter and newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Yeap Sky news - Deal agreed between Newcastle & Inter for £10 million :)

Now all we have to do is wait for it to rain goals :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

piuty he's not the best finisher;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

Excellent stuff setting up a Newcastle area. It's brutal having to read repetitive reports on newsnow.
    But defo think Roeder is going to do good things thins season, even with the rebuilding ongoing from last season. As long as we get a good centre half, I think things could be real good.
    Not sure on Martins yet. Great pace, hopefully finds a scoring touch early and helps keep the unbeaten run going.
    it'd be great to see the toon back in the CL.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I was just watching skysports news, and they said that newcastle united officials are heading out to milan tonight to finalise the deal!

Hopefully the gallas-cole deal will go through so we can move in for bridge!

Also rumours that we are trying to get klose too! :D

Doubt that but its nice to dream! :D

• Advertisement

No more Boumsong he's gone to Juve for €4.8m but this would really sting

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=411434&CPID=8&clid=47&lid=2&title=Pompey+look+to+snatch+Martins
    Newcastle held lengthy discussions over the weekend with Martins's representatives and progress was made. But nothing was signed and that has given Portsmouth the opportunity they needed to make their move.

While Newcastle can offer Martins big wages, they cannot live with the new found financial power of Pompey - who are now bankrolled by Alexandre Gaydamak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

how on earth did Boumsong get a move to Juventus??? I wonder if he'll still play for them in serie A.

vorbis wrote:
    how on earth did Boumsong get a move to Juventus??? I wonder if he'll still play for them in serie A.

I think the real question is. How did we get £3.3million for him??

He will mop up in Seris B , just like he did at rangers.

He had a tough time of it at Newcastle, His Wife and Kid were sick for a long time, plus the fans got on his back a good bit too.

Best of luck to him, but glad he is gone, room for another centre-half now.

cant believe we didnt go in for sol, he would of been perfect, steady the ship and bring on the young uns like ramage and taylor and maybe even help bramble into a decent defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Would hate to see us losing martins!! We need another striker as well as him, I think a loan deal might be good news as when owen comes back next season that would leave us with too many front men. Defence will be a big problem for us this year though!! It'll be interesting to see how we do against villa!!

Klose, Bridge and Gallas. That's who we need in the team before the window closes.
    That would make everything good again.......

• Advertisement

The signing of Obefami Martins is complete. 5 year contract.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~887839,00.html

The signing of Obefami Martins is complete. 5 year contract.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~887839,00.html

Woo hoo! Given a choice between Klose, Berbatov, Kuyt and Martins I think I'd choose the latter so absolutely delighted. Shepherd is conspicuous by his absence in that picture hopefully and with a bit of luck the fat man is out wrapping up the next signing as we speak. Roeder said he was confident on getting three in before Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

SWEET .. this mightn't be the disaster season i was assuming ...
    good job on the newcastle thread btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

kinaldo wrote:
    Woo hoo! Given a choice between Klose, Berbatov, Kuyt and Martins I think I'd choose the latter so absolutely delighted. Shepherd is conspicuous by his absence in that picture hopefully and with a bit of luck the fat man is out wrapping up the next signing as we speak. Roeder said he was confident on getting three in before Sunday.

The more the merrier :D

Given the choice Klose would have been a dream signing for Newcastle, but Martins is a proven international stiker so im happy.

His goal record for inter milan isnt too good, tbh i havent seen him play for nigeria at all, so i will take someone elses word for it. I hope we dont put alot of pressure on him like we did with luque.

Speaking of luque. he is starting tonight, and i would love to see him get a goal or two, hopefully he will play with an extra umph seeing that we signed martins today.

• Advertisement

His goal record for inter milan isnt too good, tbh i havent seen him play for nigeria at all, so i will take someone elses word for it. I hope we dont put alot of pressure on him like we did with luque.

Speaking of luque. he is starting tonight, and i would love to see him get a goal or two, hopefully he will play with an extra umph seeing that we signed martins today.

He's scored 49 goals in all competitions for Inter in 150 ish apps (subs included) so that's pretty good going considering he's only 21. Also, 3 in 2 for Nigeria.

Yeah thats not too bad actually.

Newcastle are the second highest seeded team in the Uefa Cup (with the highest coefficiant) behind holders Seville while Spurs are unseeded despite qualifying automatically :)
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seeduc2006.html
    Round 1 (80 teams)
    Seeded teams coef. Unseeded teams coef.
    ---

---
    Sevilla (TH) Esp 61.006 CSKA Sofia * Bul 21.016
    Newcastle United @ Eng 75.950 Tottenham Hotspur Eng 20.950
    Panathinaikos Gre 66.587 West Ham United Eng 20.950
    Schalke 04 Ger 64.960 Dinamo Zagreb *** Cro 20.647
    Parma Ita 63.020 Red Star Belgrade *** Srb 20.600
    Ajax *** Ned 60.640 Hearts FC *** Sco 20.023
    Bayer Leverkusen Ger 57.960 Maccabi Haifa *** Isr 19.108
    Feyenoord Ned 54.640 Standard Liège *** Bel 17.981
    AJ Auxerre @ Fra 53.757 Sporting Braga Por 17.533
    Club Brugge ** Bel 49.981 AS Nancy Lorraine Fra 16.757
    FC Basel * Sui 49.537 Legia Warsaw *** Pol 16.104
    Olympique Marseille @ Fra 48.757 Eintracht Frankfurt Ger 15.960
    AZ Alkmaar Ned 48.640 Vitória Setúbal Por 15.533
    Hertha BSC @ Ger 46.960 Nacional Funchal Por 14.533
    Sparta Praha Cze 44.769 FC Groningen Ned 13.640
    Glasgow Rangers Sco 43.023 FC Petrzalka * Svk 13.070
    Celta de Vigo Esp 43.006 Iraklis Thessaloniki Gre 12.587
    Paris Saint-Germain Fra 41.757 Xanthi FC Gre 12.587
    Lokomotiv Moscow Rus 41.504 Trabzonspor ** Tur 11.634
    RC Lens Fra 39.757 Atromitos FC Gre 10.587
    Besiktas Tur 38.634 Rubin Kazan ** Rus 10.504
    Palermo Ita 36.020 Zulte Waregem Bel 9.981
    Slavia Praha ** Cze 33.769 Metalurg Zaporizhia ** Ukr 9.777
    Espanyol Esp 33.006 Molde FK ** Nor 8.921
    Heerenveen Ned 30.640 Chernomorets Odesa ** Ukr 8.777
    Partizan Belgrade ** Srb 30.600 Mladá Boleslav *** Cze 8.769
    Rapid Bucuresti * Rom 30.381 Austria Salzburg *** Aut 8.723
    Wisla Kraków ** Pol 29.104 Kayserispor @ Tur 8.634
    Slovan Liberec *** Cze 28.769 OB Odense @ Den 8.593
    Fenerbahçe *** Tur 28.634 FC Sion ** Sui 8.537
    Austria Wien *** Aut 27.723 Lokomotiv Sofia * Bul 8.016
    Hapoel Tel-Aviv ** Isr 26.108 Start Kristiansand * Nor 6.921
    Osasuna *** Esp 25.006 SV Pasching Aut 6.723
    FC Lovech * Bul 24.016 SCP Ruzomberok *** Svk 6.070
    Blackburn Rovers Eng 23.950 Randers FC * Den 5.593
    Brøndby IF * Den 23.593 Åtvidabergs FF * Swe 4.372
    Grasshoppers Zürich @ Sui 23.537 Ethnikos Achna @ Cyp 3.355
    Chievo Verona *** Ita 23.020 Rabotnicki Skopje *** Mac 1.760
    Dinamo Bucuresti * Rom 22.381 Derry City * Irl 1.430
    Livorno Ita 22.020 Levadia Tallinn * Est 0.880

Supposedly, the Cole - Gallas - Chelsea saga is drawing to a close. As soon as they all move, we should hopefully pick up Bridge. Not sure on Huth though. Are they making out that he has some sort of ankle condition ie injury prone defender?
    Also, are Newcasle on tv this weekend or is it next weekend?

Well its definetly not this weekend spaco. We have villa on sunday, and im pretty sure its not on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Saw the 2nd half of last nights game and Duff was fantastic (playing on the right). Brilliant to see him being able to play football again. Despite the scoreline he put several chances on a plate for whoever was in the middle - if Martins is halfway decent he should enjoy playing with Duff :)

Reading the match reports today and supposedly the lads missed a good few. was charlie on the left last night and duff on right.
    Heard from someone that we're on setanta or rte one of these weeks. Would be nice to see the full new squad playing. Hopefully have another signing before the weekends over too

yeah hopefully rte will start doing soem newcastle matches with there being a good few irish players in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kinaldo wrote:
    Newcastle are the second highest seeded team in the Uefa Cup (with the highest coefficiant) behind holders Seville while Spurs are unseeded despite qualifying automatically :)

Bit of a thing for Spurs eh? Could have pointed out that West Ham qualified automiatically but were unseeded...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Spaco wrote:
    Reading the match reports today and supposedly the lads missed a good few. was charlie on the left last night and duff on right.
    Yeah, certainly in the second half - can't comment before that. He looked good too but didn't create as much or have as much involvement as Duff who just looked a different class. Seeing him on the right I'm pissed Liverpool didn't get him!

• Advertisement
Advertisement