Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Who knows, he will certainly have a long term goal and will definetly go about it, im looking forward to who he will be signing in the summer and I think finally he may be the man to get our club back on track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My dream would be to get Guus Hiddink-the man is a legend!

But it's unlikely so big Sam will do. Hopefully Newcastle will have one of his famous 5 year plans and progress can be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Why would Bolton be eligible for compensation if Allardyce has resigned and Bolton accepted that resignation?

Anyway, much as I think Allardyce is a wanker on a personal level, and his football/management style could be charitably described as 'ugly' at best, he'll be a definite improvement over Roeder.

Roeder is just too bloody nice to be a successful manager, football players these days won't stand for that. Twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

micmclo wrote:
    My dream would be to get Guus Hiddink-the man is a legend!

Van gaal as well . AZ Alkmaar have broken the oligarchy in the dutch divison with him. Some papers were talking about the Sevilla boss again someone I would like to see.

• Advertisement

Another thing thats been doing the rounds is Owens future. Anyone any thoughts?

Owen will stay no matter who comes in, he owes it to the newcastle fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ged will get the gig, he'd love to work with Owen again. And your defence does need work. Conceeded twice as many goals as Liverpool so far this season.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Freddy doing his laundry in public, as usual. Trying to back Owen into a corner is bad enough, but saying that none of the "big four" are interested in him is tantamount to belittling one of our most prized assets - in public! :eek:
    Angry Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has told Michael Owen to show some loyalty and warned him none of the 'big four' clubs want to buy him.

Shepherd is furious after reports suggested Owen, who has played only 13 games since joining Newcastle for £17m in 2005, could leave in the summer.

"Michael has two choices: he can come out and tell our fans that he is happy here," Shepherd told the Daily Express.

"Or I tell him none of the big four are interested. Because that's the case."

A report in the Times newspaper suggested Owen could be available for less than £10m and could be a target for the likes of Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal.

He has to prove to everyone, himself and Newcastle United included, that he is fully recovered

But Shepherd went on: "These suggestions will not impress our fans after what has happened in the last couple of years.

"This report was a very thinly-disguised attempt to flog Owen from under our feet, sourced very close to the player or those who look after him. The information must have come from there, not from our club."

Owen arrived at St James' Park in 2005 but played only 11 games in his first season before breaking a bone in his foot.

He recovered in time to play at the World Cup where he suffered a serious knee injury which ruled him out of most of this season.

Shepherd said: "The loyalty this club has shown him over the last two years, when he had injury problems in his first season and had missed virtually all of this season, deserves something in return.

"He has had a really serious injury and no-one, least of all one of the biggest clubs, is likely to take a risk at this stage.

"He has to prove to everyone, himself and Newcastle United included, that he is fully recovered and not about to break down again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6641411.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

hmmm, interesting approach by Shepard.

It may be a good ploy though, especially emphasising that he could "break down again".

I think we all know that Owen's agent leaked the get out clause, Typical agent.

Shepard is right though in that Owen should show some loyalty! We have being paying him 90k a week for two years and what 13 games??

How could he look at himself in the mirror in the morning knowing he shafted us so bad?

He better stay or I will be really pi$$ed off!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

evilhomer wrote:
    Shepard is right though in that Owen should show some loyalty! We have being paying him 90k a week for two years and what 13 games??

How could he look at himself in the mirror in the morning knowing he shafted us so bad?

He better stay or I will be really pi$$ed off!!!

I'm sure ye Newcastle fans would be well p1ssed if Owen slinked off to Man Utd! (or anywhere) Don't rule out him leaving though, yes he 'owes' it to Newcastle to give them at least one good season considering he's been pocketing vast sums of money while constantly injured.

But most top players nowadays couldn't spell the word loyalty, it doesn't enter their (often limited) vocabulary. Look at the gimp Rio Ferdinand who held United to ransom even after they'd shown him great loyalty during his 8 month drug-test ban (a lesser player might have been sacked).

Granted Michael Owen isn't your typical flash harry just-in-it-for-the-money type of player, but an offer from the likes of United or Arsenal (united more likely) with champs league football could be tempting for a player who hasn't got the medals to match his talent. His injury problems would probably be offputting though, so Toon fans have to hope he can put all that behind him.
    Who knows, he (Allardyce) will certainly have a long term goal and will definetly go about it, im looking forward to who he will be signing in the summer and I think finally he may be the man to get our club back on track!

I agree. Allardyce could be a good man to bring in. He's done a tremendous job at Bolton, taking a team who were an average Div.1 outfit only a few years ago and turning them into a solid premiership team, well established in the top 6 or 7. And he did it with limited money, showing a great eye for a bargain.

It would be interesting to see what he'd do with 25 million to spend though, having money to splash around doesn't guarantee anything (as any NUFC fan will testify). Newcastle have bought so many of the wrong type of players, and paying them big money too. They've also been unlucky, Owen looked a brilliant signing but so far he's hardly kicked a ball.

Now I'm only offering an opinion as someone who isn't a Newcastle fan, but if Allardyce does come in as seems likely, surely the first thing he'll need to do is clear out alot of the dead wood, and god knows there's a few players in the current Newcastle squad who would struggle to avoid that description. The big heads and the fat wallets need to be shown the door, and get in players who are hungry and on the way up, not players on the way down looking for one more big paycheck (Newcastle have bought too many of those over the last 7 or 8 years).

The likes of Kevin Doyle or David Nugent would spring to mind as the type of player Newcastle should be looking at, rather than some overpaid has-been from the continent (think Kluivert) what ye reckon?

EDIT: Those opposing the Allardyce option should consider a couple of things (and maybe be thankful for small mercies).

Firstly ye've had some truly cack managers over the last few years, Allardyce surely an improvement?

And as if things couldn't get any worse, Sven Goran Errikson's agent has said (on sky sports yesterday) that Sven is interested in the job, basically touting himself as a candidate. Now there's a thought to give ye Toon fans some sleepless nights.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Has Owen not had most of his wages paid for by the FA?

Has Owen not had most of his wages paid for by the FA?

Only a fraction of the amount apparently, Shepard is looking for more compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

do people forget what Eriksson did at Lazio / Sampdoria. I know he was **** for England but before he got there he was regarded as one of the top coaches in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which is why England FA paid such a vast sum to land him.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Only a fraction of the amount apparently, Shepard is looking for more compensation.

no, i think his wages have been covered between FIFA, FA and an insurance policy newcastle themselves had. AFAIK it's actually the medical bills that Newcastle want the compensation for.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eriksson could do a good job at Newcastle I reckon. He's like Wenger imo - well suited to club management but not international.

Eriksson could do a good job at Newcastle I reckon. He's like Wenger imo - well suited to club management but not international.

Maybe. To be fair to him his record with England wasn't actually that bad, I read somewhere that his win ratio in competitive games was the best of any England manager in the past 35 years or so. He just had them playing some pretty sterile and uninspiring football, though that hasn't changed one bit under McLaren.

I think Errikson was blamed for England's flop at the WC mainly because expectations were too high to begin with, and partly because of his ludicrous decison to bring Theo Walcott.

But we can see now that England just aren't all that good, and were clearly overrated in the run-up to the world cup. So maybe it wasn't entirely his fault, but he still did little to justify his huge salary and if I was a Newcastle supporter I'd be going with Allardyce to a better job on half the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

dcarroll wrote:
    do people forget what Eriksson did at Lazio / Sampdoria. I know he was **** for England but before he got there he was regarded as one of the top coaches in the world

Eriksson spent over £125 million sterling assembling the squad that got Lazio the Scudetto in 2000 - I could have won the title that year with that squad.

Freddy does it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx5RK1G9c0

Aren't we lucky to have such a true professional running our club - better the devil you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

kinaldo wrote:
    Freddy does it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx5RK1G9c0

Aren't we lucky to have such a true professional running our club - better the devil you know?
    Lol! He comes across as quite sound though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Duffer was in the odeon last nite on a pair of crutches with a few mates, got himself a bird to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

So....Micheal Owen stretchered off again.

From bbc.com:
    Watford said farewell to the Premiership by drawing with Newcastle in a match marred by an injury to England striker Michael Owen.

Owen was stretchered off on the hour mark with concussion after colliding with team-mate Matthew Pattison.

Great end to the season for us, drawing with Watford. Christ I'm hoping for better things next season.

Allardyce has his work cut out alright. I don't know about Oba, but Charlie can fcuk off. Taken from the Journal:
    Meanwhile, Newcastle caretaker-manager Nigel Pearson has criticised the attitudes of N'Zogbia and Martins after the pair missed the trip to Watford yesterday.

The Journal understands that Martins had been told on Saturday morning that he was only going to be among the substitutes at Vicarage Road as Shola Ameobi was going to start the game.

The Nigerian international made his feelings known and later declared himself unfit to travel because of a knee injury. Pearson chose his words carefully, but he was clearly incensed by his attitude which has arguably been in question for several weeks. Glenn Roeder's former assistant manager also had problems with N'Zogbia after the young Frenchman reacted angrily to the news that he was also only going to be on the bench yesterday.

N'Zogbia was seen leaving the stadium before kick-off and, although he later returned, Pearson revealed he had not behaved well.

"Oba declared himself unfit on Saturday. He reported a knee injury," said an unimpressed Pearson. "Charles was in the squad. He was on the bench originally, but I changed it and brought in Paul Huntington.

"I changed it because he (N'Zogbia) didn't really want to be there. All I will say is that it's very important that everybody associated with the club acts in a professional manner. Will he be disciplined? That's for next week, I don't want to add anything at this stage. I've got no idea if he stayed at the ground to watch the game. You can make your own judgements on that."

full article

Edit:

I just realised he was left out for Pattison! Hmmm... maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Zoggy. I can't remember the last time he had a good game like, but it does seem like Roeder and now Pearson will do anything not to play him. Pattison is a bit much though (probably the worst player I've ever seen kick a ball in a black and white shirt).

Duffer was in the odeon last nite on a pair of crutches with a few mates, got himself a bird to

Isn't Duff going out with some doctor? Saw him pictured with her at her graduation a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

aidan24326 wrote:
    Isn't Duff going out with some doctor? Saw him pictured with her at her graduation a while back.
    They've split up apparantly.

Zoggy can fcuk off tbh, he hasnt put in a good performance all season and he doesnt look arsed on the pitch anymore, apparently he was texting on his mobile when pearson was giving a team talk before the match.

I have no idea whats going on with martins! I think he might freaked out with all the ****e going on, the man who signed him leaving and all the speculation....

Press conference scheduled for tomorrow 1p.m supposedly. I'm impressed this appointing a manager before the summer smacks of professionalism and maybe just maybe the people who run NUFC are learning from their mistakes

From the official site:
    Big Sam wrote:
    "One of the first things I will be doing is sitting down with Michael Owen and having a little chat with him.

"I will be asking him does he want to stay with us or go? Obviously I would like him to stay because he has that rare commodity of being able to score goals.

"What I think Michael needs is more time to get on track for us and hopefully he will decide to take that time.

"Since Freddy Shepherd make it clear he wanted me then there was no doubt where I would be going.

"After leaving Bolton Wanderers last week I was expecting a longer rest but once Freddy opened that door I was in.

"When I met Freddy I could feel his passion for Newcastle United. He is a passionate supporter and it's well known throughout football that he has always supported his managers.

"Now it is up to everyone from Freddy down to me the players and even the tea lady to give these fans the success they deserve.

"I suppose this is the greatest challenge I have ever had.

"But it is one I am excited about and one I am looking forward to. It's no secret that what has happened in the past is not good enough for a club as big as Newcastle United and it is now my job to change all that."

"Everyone starts with a clean sheet.

"England is not for me. I believe Steve McClaren is secure in his job for a while now although maybe things would change if we did not qualify for the European finals.

"But that would have nothing to do with me. I had a good run the last time but now I am focusing on the job of managing Newcastle United, just like I did with Bolton Wanderers when I did not get the England job last year.

"Don't forget being manager of Newcastle United is a massive job and I am not thinking about anything else other than try to bring success to this football club.

"Gary Speed is one of the best signings I have made in my managerial career. It is terrific that he is still playing such good football as this late stage in his career.

"He was a signing I thought a lot about and now I have to make some signings for Newcastle United and there a few players around Europe who I am sure will do a good job for us.

"But I will be careful who I recruit. What we need at Newcastle United are not good players but players who have the mentality to play in front of 52,000 supporters every week.

"To play every week in a stadium like St James' Park is really a daunting task and I have got to find players for us who can handle the big stage and step into a great arena.

"We will be building a club with infrastructure and one for the future and if it happens in the short term all well and good.

"This (ugly football) is a tag which has been labelled on Bolton Wanderers because we were so good at our jobs.

"Some of the big teams used to use it as an excuse because they could not beat us and it is a figment of their imagination.

"The only tactics I know are those which win matches and that's what we did at Bolton Wanderers and what I am hoping and expecting to do here.

"I feel I have achieved a little bit in my career but I want to achieve a lot more here at Newcastle United.

"I will expect all my staff to work 24-7 just like I will be doing.

"We will be working as a family unit and it does not matter if we don't like each other because our only aim to is bring success to this football club.

"In the end that comes down to the players on the field, and everything I and my staff do will be designed to give the players all our support."

• Advertisement

That was a great interview, i really enjoyed it! Sam speaks with great confidence and I cant wait for next season to begin!
    Come on the Tooooooon!! :D:D:D

The thing I'm most excited about the appointment is this "scientific" approach he will introduce behind the scenes - preventing injuries before they happen and all that. Apparently we lost about 400 hours of playing time this season compared to Bolton's 70 hours. Imagine a season without our traditional injury crisis!

What are the odds this guy will be big sams first signing, he does enjoy the odd bargin! He would be a good signing for the toon imo. http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=466992&CPID=8&clid=&lid=3&title=Tudor+eyes+England+move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Defenders Titus Bramble, 25, and 31-year-old Australian Craig Moore have not been offered new contracts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/6662041.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tudor is a cracking player imo.

Rumours all over the United forums that Brown is going to Newcastle. Him and Tudor would be a pretty good central defensive partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Now that Bramble is a free agent, I definitely think he'll make the step up to a huge club...(!)

Good ol diplomatic BBC's assessment: "but his time has been blighted by costly errors."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im surprised that Tal Ben Haim hasnt been linked to Newcastle yet. he was good enough to have been wanted by Chelsea in January (who now are supposed to officially have Alex instead), he played under Sam at Bolton and hes Free.

im surprised that Tal Ben Haim hasnt been linked to Newcastle yet. he was good enough to have been wanted by Chelsea in January (who now are supposed to officially have Alex instead), he played under Sam at Bolton and hes Free.
    Good call, forgot about him.

I think Newcastle will need all the defenders he can get!

A few interesting weeks ahead for us Toon fans! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Distan, Ben Haim and Tudor for a grand total of nothing. i expect the magpies to sign at least of these

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

i recon there wil be a lot of under the carpet deals ... as soon as someone starts been publically mentioned the price starts going up so everything will be hush hush until the deals are done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd be very wary about a player like Tudor, I mean he's being kept out of the Juventus team by Boumsong!

If I was Sam I'd definitely go for Ben Haim, better attitude than a player like Distin and simply a better defender than Tudor. I think the a Taylor/Ben Haim partnership would be brilliant for Newcastle. With talk of Sami Hyypia coming coming to Toon, I think Newcastle would be set up very well in the centre of defence for 2007.

I really hope that Sam can do well with England. He's clear the best English manager in the business today.

with England? Newcastle you mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Billionaire businessman Mike Ashley has launched a £133.1m ($263m) offer for Newcastle United football club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6684573.stm

bit out of the blue to me! is it Freddy's to sell? certainly you'd think the club would be better off without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6684573.stm

bit out of the blue to me! is it Freddy's to sell? certainly you'd think the club would be better off without him.
    I kno he is pretty unpopular with the Toon fans, but what has he spent, something like £200m on players? you can't fault his invesment.

Great news!!! Looks like the club will be in good hands, I say Freddy will sell for sure!!!! :D:D:D

I kno he is pretty unpopular with the Toon fans, but what has he spent, something like £200m on players? you can't fault his invesment.

But you certainly can fault what it has been spent on!

It's his poor managerial appointments that has caused so much of the money to be wasted, hopefully the new owner will invest as much but actually have some cop on too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Apart from giving himself the most excessive annual salary increases and awarding himself huge dividends, what else could the club's chairman be expected to do with the club's money? Open a special savings account, for a rainy day perhaps? How much money would you say was squandered in compensation payments by his decision to sack Sir Bobby (after saying, "you don't sack a man like Bobby Robson") then compensating Blackburn for Souness, then Souness himself, and now Roeder???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

So looks like Parker will be off back to London soon.

Who do ppl think the new captain will be? Im guessing Steven Taylor or Butt.

SofaKing wrote:
    So looks like Parker will be off back to London soon.

Who do ppl think the new captain will be? Im guessing Steven Taylor or Butt.

Just because there was an offer it doesnt mean that he's going to leave!
    8.5 mill is a really good price for him but i think hes a class player, if he can play defensive mid he would be class, he was was playing out of position all last season which is why he wasnt as good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement