Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

kinaldo wrote:
    What a surprise, Emre gets injured again on international duty. Has he ever actually returned fit??

Starting to wonder if we'll ever see Barton and Emre play for us, let alone together.

I was reading that Emre doesn't want to stay at Newcastle and wants to go to one of the big Turkish teams in Jan.

I doubt very much he is injured much, there is a lot of pressure on him in Turkey, he is there best player and they seem to be trying to influence him to play in turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

kinaldo wrote:
    ffs, pay the guy what he deserves! He's constantly improving and everyone compares him to John Terry although I like to think of him as the English version of Sergio Ramos...

Proof of what a legend he is:

http://www.footytube.com/2007/06/20/netherlands-1-1-england/

Kinaldo, dont get caught up in all the hype around taylor. He is a good defender but he is nowhere near the likes of John Terry, however he certainly does have the potential. I say he was given a good contract for the player of his age, however i think all this recent praise is going to his head and he is beginning to think he is a superstar which he is not, he has a long way to go before he becomes the real deal.

Allardyce wont take any shít from him even if he is one of our key players, hopefully this issue will be sorted asap and taylor will stop being a little pre maddonna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Kinaldo, dont get caught up in all the hype around taylor. He is a good defender but he is nowhere near the likes of John Terry, however he certainly does have the potential. I say he was given a good contract for the player of his age, however i think all this recent praise is going to his head and he is beginning to think he is a superstar which he is not, he has a long way to go before he becomes the real deal.

Allardyce wont take any shít from him even if he is one of our key players, hopefully this issue will be sorted asap and taylor will stop being a little pre maddonna.
    It's true, he's nowhere near John Terry and the like, and I do over hype him. But if it's true that Faye arrived on a 30k a week contract, Milner and N'Zogbia were given new 5 year deals worth 30k a week (the latter based on a handful of games over the past 15 months) and Taylor is stuck on 9k then I think that's a joke. By all accounts he's only looking for parity with these guys which is fair enough.

evilhomer wrote:
    I was reading that Emre doesn't want to stay at Newcastle and wants to go to one of the big Turkish teams in Jan.

I doubt very much he is injured much, there is a lot of pressure on him in Turkey, he is there best player and they seem to be trying to influence him to play in turkey.
    Sunday rags twisting his words. He was saying he would like to go back to play in Turkey one day. In midweek he was giving interviews saying he's very happy at Newcastle and thinks this will be a big season for us and he has a lot of respect for Big Sam etc. Sorry I don't have links I read all this on the newcastle-online forum but I'm sure it's reliable.
    I think he's been plagued by little niggling injuries and I'm sure Big Sam will sort him out. He certainly doesn't rush players back like Souness did. Twice now in the past couple of weeks Emre has come back from Turkey injured and we haven't seen him since April apart from the CC game against Barnsley. They must be extremely dependent on him because most players would have to play a few games for their club every now and again just to be called up let alone play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

kinaldo wrote:
    They must be extremely dependent on him because most players would have to play a few games for their club every now and again just to be called up let alone play.

Sure when Souness signed him for the Toon, the Turkish president (not of thier football association, their actual president!) said he would try his hardest to persudae him to sign for a Turkish club.

He is a bit of a legend over there.

It also annoys me that a Country can take a player who isn't even playing for his club because of injury and then thrown him out on the field and get him injured!

Something has to be done about the right of countries to call up players, especially when they are not even getting a game for their club because of the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

why was weekend game PP?

siochain wrote:
    why was weekend game PP?
    It wasn't. The old 'Monday Night Football' is usually reserved for teams not involved in any European competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

1-0 to Derby... :mad:

Right, I think I've calmed down a bit now...

So we lost to the bottom team in the Premiership, the team with no wins, the worst defense etc. I knew this would happen because everyone predicted us to win (just look at the weekend premiership thread). I've been watching Newcastle far too long and this is fairly typical when there's a buzz around the place.

We didn't look threating for the entire 90 minutes (repeat of Villa performance) and were generally second best in one of the worst televised games I've ever seen. We looked incapable of playing football i.e. passing the ball, starting a move, getting a cross to beat the first defender etc.

Our best player and top scorer last season, Martins, is being left out for Ameobi, one of the worst strikers in the Premiership. Now Martins must know how Patrick Kluivert felt. Because Saint Michael is back though... apparently Big Sam feels he has to play him alongside a 'Heskey' type figure.

I presume Martins will be on his way out in January. It's been made pretty clear that he doesn't fit into our system. Unless that is these sort of performances continue, in which case Big Sam will be first out the door...

Sorry I can't think of anything positive to say. I won't go on about how bad N'Zogbia, Smith and Butt were tonight. I'm more annoyed that my Toon trio of Zoggy, Taylor and Martins only scored me 4 points in the fantasy league :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Why the **** was martins on the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

Looked good today. Beye looked solid so we have a good right back. Zoggy was on fire but need to get Enrique settled in left back, push zoggy and milner into their proper positions too.
    Viduka with 2 good goals and have to say, harper played great in the second half and now up to 4th.
    Bit worried with Owen out again, but hopefully Martins gets back into the swing of things and doesn't miss any more chances like today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

if we hadn't messed up against Derby we'd be 2nd sickening really to have lost to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

best to move on from that catastrophe. but at least we didn't fold today after it. just put it behind them and got on with the job.
    Looks like owen could be going under the knife to sort out the hernia. thank god we got options up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Spaco wrote:
    best to move on from that catastrophe. but at least we didn't fold today after it. just put it behind them and got on with the job.
    Looks like owen could be going under the knife to sort out the hernia. thank god we got options up front.

I think we should play Martins over Owen anyway. If we dont Martins will leave in Jan and Owen will be heading off next summer anyway. Not too many options then, eh?

Chris Mort interview revealing that Mike Ashley has spent a further £45 million in clearing our debt. And that we were within a year of collapsing under the old regime...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2007/09/25/without-takeover-united-could-well-have-folded-72703-19844203/

I'm optimistic about not losing the Arsenal game tonight. With Saint Michael out injured again hopefully Martins will have overtaken Ameobi in the pecking order...

And maybe Enrique will come into the team and give N'Zogbia some support going forward. Shay Given might even get a run out (always saves his best for Arsenal)!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

You guys have any streams for the game tonight? I can't find any.

You guys have any streams for the game tonight? I can't find any.
    I'm told this Windows Media link will work for commentary outside the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/live_int.asx

but I don't think you'll find any footage

from nufc.com
    UK TV: None - not even any ITV highlights programme until the Wednesday night. The best chance of seeing any action looks to be as part of the live Reading v Liverpool game on SkySports 2 and HD2.

Overseas TV: None

Radio: BBC Radio Newcastle has live commentary but due to licensing restrictions this is not available online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

kinaldo wrote:

from nufc.com

Thats so feckin stupid. Damn TV people!

Biggest game of the night and it isn't televised anywhere. Moronic.

kinaldo wrote:

from nufc.com
    'fraid not, that's Sheffield United vs the Mighty Morecambe...

• Advertisement

Gotta say, I'm a bit miffed to see Smith as our captain.

Sounds like Ireland's number 1 is being given a decent work out tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Biggest game of the night and it isn't televised anywhere. Moronic.

Yeh, why is this, it's really quite weird. Arsenal vs. Newcastle is surely a better match than Liverpool vs. Reading

from the beeb
    2122: Closing in on the final 10 minutes and three games are still all square, although how Arsenal haven't scored against Newcastle is beyond belief. The Gunners have had 58% of the possession and close to 20 shots. Newcastle have had three goes on goal, one on target.

Lawro was just on the Last Word there talking to Matt Cooper about him so the rumours must be officially doing the round now. We've also been linked with Jaaskelainen for a while now...

I would love to know what Sam's thinking is. Shay Given has been Newcaste and Ireland's number one keeper for over ten years and has nothing to prove. He played great against Arsenal in midweek, but looks set to be dropped again for Man City tomorrow in favour of Harper.

I wonder if it's a simple case of Harper playing well, so no reason to drop him. What happens then when Harper makes a mistake, which he will? Will there be a goalkeeper rotation policy then? Gullit fell for this by dropping Given in favour of Harper for the '99 Fa Cup final and look how that turned out!

The first choice keeper should remain first choice regardless. If Cech gets injured he's still restored to the team when fit again no matter how well the stand in plays. Ditto with Van der Sar, Gigi Buffon, Iker Casillas etc. Given is also in that bracket, perhaps not in the eyes of Big Sam though.

If that's the case then I expect Newcastle to lose their greatest ever goalkeeper by January :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

That'd be a shame alright. Isn't he pretty close to having most appearances ever for Newcastle?

Big Sam was obviously moved by kinaldos desperate plea for a Given recall. Shays back between the sticks tody for the Man City game.

Pighead wrote:
    Big Sam was obviously moved by kinaldos desperate plea for a Given recall. Shays back between the sticks tody for the Man City game.
    Excellent, common sense prevails! Unlucky Harper.

Anyone got a working stream for the Man City game about to start???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Given had a very poor game today, he was very indicisive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

City carved them up today!! I actually fancied the toons this season to finish high but they've no grit and when they're bad.....they're awful!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bartons return should help with that at least

kinaldo wrote:
    Luque has finally escaped, and I hope he does well at Ajax and proves a few people wrong.
    Has just scored twice in the opening 18 mins in todays game. Glad to see him back scoring again, always had a soft spot for him (in a non gay way of course, although he did have nice hair)

Pighead wrote:
    Has just scored twice in the opening 18 mins in todays game. Glad to see him back scoring again, always had a soft spot for him (in a non gay way of course, although he did have nice hair)
    You have to admire his honesty too...

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/09/21/luque-i-came-to-united-for-money-61634-19822811/

Good news peeps! Emre, Enrique and Faye all completed 90 minutes in a 2-2 reserve game at Man City tonight.

Emre scored a spectacular free kick in off the bar and Barton also completed his first 45 minutes since pre-season.

If anyone knows where I can see Emre's goal I'd be most grateful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

kinaldo wrote:
    Emre scored a spectacular free kick in off the bar
    kinaldo wrote:
    If anyone knows where I can see Emre's goal I'd be most grateful...

:rolleyes:

Archimedes wrote:

Id imagine he saw that Emre had scored a savage goal on one of the many clockwatch's around, or maybe from the Newcastle home site's review on the match which had this;
    Emre restored parity just three minutes later, the Turk lifting a delightful left-footed free-kick over the City wall and into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

Archimedes wrote:
    What Rebel said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Good performance by City's kids tonight to get a 2-2 draw against a lot of established Premiership players. Only Isaksson in goal has any really experience and apparently he didn't have the best of games!

Shaleum Logan, Kelvin Etuhu, Ched Evans and Ashley Grimes look to have bright futures. Just a pity Dabo wasn't fit to have a go at Joey!

Thank fück for Emre coming on today and producing a God like performance to save us from dull home draws mediocrity.

Did anyone notice Michael Owen's very subdued celebration after scoring? And the crowd jeering, not Martins, but the decision to withdraw him.

Allardyce has been critical of Martins for not scoring enough so with Saint Michael back it would appear that Martins will be (unfairly) relegated to the bench again.

At least Joey Barton will be ready for Spurs and Emre is well and truly back :)

Poor game for Given today but I think he'll come back stronger as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What does everyone think of N'zogbia's role so far for the club. He's been a very important and influential player.

That_Guy wrote: »
    What does everyone think of N'zogbia's role so far for the club. He's been a very important and influential player.
    I don't think he's as good as made out to be, and I believe his handful of goals and assists recently has fooled a lot of people who only see the highlights. He's got lots of talent and I'm very happy to have him at Newcastle, but he's still way too inconsistent, and a bad day for him is something else - just watch the Derby performance this season.

kinaldo wrote: »
    I don't think he's as good as made out to be, and I believe his handful of goals and assists recently has fooled a lot of people who only see the highlights. He's got lots of talent and I'm very happy to have him at Newcastle, but he's still way too inconsistent, and a bad day for him is something else - just watch the Derby performance this season.

True about the Derby match. I think he's been quite consistent. He could be a bit better. Could just be the role Big Sam has him in. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Jose Enrique and Habib Beye.

That_Guy wrote: »
    True about the Derby match. I think he's been quite consistent. He could be a bit better. Could just be the role Big Sam has him in. I've been impressed with what I've seen of Jose Enrique and Habib Beye.
    Yeah our new full backs look like quality. With Enrique now fit we should see more of Charlie going forward, and with the return of Duff next month he'll have to be on his toes!

I see Emre played the full 90 for Turkey.

Will he be starting every game for Newcastle from here on?

Im really hoping to see him back, great player to watch, makes whatever team he's in play better as well.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I see Emre played the full 90 for Turkey.

Will he be starting every game for Newcastle from here on?

Im really hoping to see him back, great player to watch, makes whatever team he's in play better as well.
    I hope so, and I contend that Emre will offer much more in a 3 man midfield than he has done for us in the past when played in a defensive role alongside Scott Parker. Up until now our midfield of Butt, Geremi and Smith has been fairly rubbish, but it remains to be seen whether he'll be playing alongside Barton or competing with him now that both are fit again. Our home game against Spurs next week should provide some clues...

• Advertisement

Emre is going to do wonders for us this season. I just hope he'll get his game. He's such an inspirational player. If Sam's gonna play a 4-3-3 formation it's gonna be difficult to get a place.

Milner, Duff, Emre, N'Zogbia, Smith and Barton are all quality players. I think it will be a good thing though to have a little competition though because the players will hopefully push themselves that little bit extra to gain a place. I think Milner is guaranteed a place. His work rate is superb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

anyone have any idea how true the story today about mickey owen having a release clause of only 6million is. Cos i know as does everyone he has a release clause since the media got hold of that info to the infuriation of everyone Newcastle related, but surely its more than 6Million, one third of the price they paid for him.

Martins scored two cracking goals for Nigeria away to Mexico at the weekend which should do his confidence some good, although I'm sure he'll be relegated to the bench for Spurs :(

http://www.footytube.com/2007/10/14/mexico-vs-nigeria/

anyone have any idea how true the story today about mickey owen having a release clause of only 6million is. Cos i know as does everyone he has a release clause since the media got hold of that info to the infuriation of everyone Newcastle related, but surely its more than 6Million, one third of the price they paid for him.
    I think it becomes active if we fail to qualify for Europe, by which time he'd only have about 1 more year to run on his contract making £6m not seem so bad.

Good for Martins but it's all down to Sam now as to whether he plays or not. I'd say give him a try. Remember the last goal Martins scored against Spurs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement