Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

That_Guy wrote: »
    Remember the last goal Martins scored against Spurs?
    :D

Aye, he's got a good record against Spurs; 3 in 3 if you include Inter's pre-season just before he joined us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

True that. I say play him from the start. His confidence will still be high and he'll be hungry for goal and a place in the team.

feckin injuries and international breaks...

Robinson out for Monday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7043010.stm

:(

edit: interesting stat on that link
    Newcastle have scored more Premier League goals against Tottenham than any other club (46)

in one less campaign than the big guns too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

kinaldo wrote: »
    feckin injuries and international breaks...

Robinson out for Monday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7043010.stm

:(
    Do you reckon Allardyce will start Owen against Spurs or will he reckon 3 games in a week is a bit much?

Pighead wrote: »
    Do you reckon Allardyce will start Owen against Spurs or will he reckon 3 games in a week is a bit much?
    I reckon he might want to take Owen down a peg or two by sticking him on the bench but I'd still have him as favourite to start alongside Viduka and ahead of Martins.

Any predictions for the match? I'm saying a 3-1 victory for Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

2-1 Spurs.

I think that because Robinson isn't in goal for Spurs it's gonna be advantage Newcastle but then again I'm quite biased.

I love this fixture for so many happy memories. Spurs are quite unpredictable these days though. I think it depends largely on Berbatov and which Spurs turn up. If they bring their Sunderland form then we'll win comfortably, but if they bring their Anfield form I think they could nick it 1-0. That said, I'm going for a third successive 3-1 home win against them. I've probably just jinxed us. Also, if we win tonight then I'm certain we'll lose at Reading on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

this match is live on sky channel 194, some nigerian channel, i found it by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Any predictions for the match? I'm saying a 3-1 victory for Newcastle.

Spot on. Good win for Newcastle but Tottenham's poor form continues to be a mystery given the players at their disposal and the money that's been shelled out. Jol must be hanging by a thread at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As a Gooner can I just say thanks for brightening up my Monday evening!

That said, I'm going for a third successive 3-1 home win against them.

Woooooooh!!!

:D

Time to start putting my money where my mouth is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

On Setanta right now for anyone that missed it/is interested.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Spot on. Good win for Newcastle but Tottenham's poor form continues to be a mystery given the players at their disposal and the money that's been shelled out. Jol must be hanging by a thread at this stage.

I knew I should've put a bet on. Would've been a nice double had I guessed the score and Martins scoring first. Ah well. Three points are more important. Jol simply has to go. The club obviously aren't taking their 4th place goal too seriously if they're still hanging on to him after this long and after this many bad results.

I'm going for a third successive 3-1 home win against them. Also, if we win tonight then I'm certain we'll lose at Reading on Saturday.

****ing newcastle, so predictable

sounds like a repeat of the derby performance

no width, no creativity, incapable of keeping a clean sheet away from home

:mad:

Supporting Newcastle is like watching a soap opera.
    There are moments of pure brilliance and inspiration but then there's the inevitable depressing side of things when we lose.
    and the continuing story of Owen playing better for England than his club will go on for months.

After the 4-1 defeat to Pompey i was ashamed to call myself a Toon fan. They have no excuses. The squad was a strong one but I do think Martins should have started.

Cacapa.... Well the less said about him the better.

They'd wanna shape up for Saturdays game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I can really pick games to go and see! I travelled to St. James for the Portsmouth and it was as bad a performance as you're likely to see!!!
    It was like the cup game when Birmingham battered us, coincidentily I have tickets for Dec. 8th, against Birmingham and I hope the tactic of hooffing the ball up to Michael Owen from the half way line won't be used.
    I'm not a fan of big Sam, but I do think he should be given at least a couple of seasons to prove himself, he certainly doesn't lack a big enough ego, in fact if he's HALF as good as he thinks he is, he should win every game and ever competition. So lets hope he's right about his own ability.
    Still looking forward to derby next week, although a bit worried with Harper in goal.

• Advertisement

Anyone watch the derby on Saturday.

They were all over us, it was route one football for the best part of the 90 minutes, Owen was terrible, Barton gave the ball away too many times and was caught in possession way to many times, Harper was a bit dodgy with his clearances but made a good save from Chopra's shot, Viduka performed well having just come back from injury, some of Faye's tackles were superb and finally no matter what he says, Milner's goal was an intended cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Anyone watch the derby on Saturday.

They were all over us, it was route one football for the best part of the 90 minutes, Owen was terrible, Barton gave the ball away too many times and was caught in possession way to many times, Harper was a bit dodgy with his clearances but made a good save from Chopra's shot, Viduka performed well having just come back from injury, some of Faye's tackles were superb and finally no matter what he says, Milner's goal was an intended cross.

Dont be so negative,we played pretty well after they scored, it gave us the kick up the arse we needed. All sam has to do is get us to play like that from the off and we will be grand.

On a side note, is it true that the ha'penny bridge inn is where newcastle fans in dublin go to watch games. Got that info from www.nufc.com

I supppose thinking back it wasn't all negative. Better than the Pompey game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Newcastle winger Damien Duff has returned to full training after almost seven months out following a serious foot injury.

The 28-year-old last appeared for the Magpies at Portsmouth in April when he suffered what seemed to be a minor knock.

However, the injury was far more serious than first appeared - and it was feared his career could be under threat.

The Republic of Ireland international has had two operations but is now on course to return.

Magpies boss Sam Allardyce told his club's official website: "It's great to see Damien back in training.

"He is just starting to join in with the players, and there will be a period of time when he gets used to training on a day-to-day basis.

"He'll have to get used to the physical contact first of all, and from there we'll take it into a reserve match.

"We hope we'll have him back to the sort of level we know he can play at as quickly as possible.

"We're looking forward to having him back in the first-team squad, because Damien is a player of undoubted class who can play a big part for us this season."

Duff has managed just 20 league appearances for the Magpies since his £5million transfer from Chelsea in July last year.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8701_2894780,00.html

So how is duff going to fit into Sam's style ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Big game tomorrow!

Our games against Liverpool are always entertaining.

Martins and Viduka look like they will get a couple of weeks to form a partnership, personally I hope they do as we shouldn't be relying on Owen to score for us with his injury record.

Barton should be fitter this week and always has a bit of a battle with Gerrard whenever they come face-to-face.

I'm hopeful for a win but we are still a bit shakey at the back.

C'mon the Toon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Im delighted Owen is out, i prefer Martins over him. To be honest i think its time for Owen to be leaving if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Should be interesting with Rozenhnal our only fit senior defender... typical that we had too many last month. Internationals has certainly put paid to that. Martins and Viduka should be exciting though.

I'm depressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Know the feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Guys, Big Sam needs to do a "root and branch" at that club. Everything needs to be turned upside down and built again. It was like a practice match for the pool yesterday. Are the players not bothered or what? It looked like that yesterday....

I think a win against blackburn is a must for sam next week. I know that Sam is the right man to get this club where it wants to be over the next few years but the only question is if he can ride out this storm and if he can keep the fans of his back.

The blackburn game will be essential!

Howay the lads!

• Advertisement

I can really see us losing our next two games to Blackburn and Arsenal unfortunately.

I'm not sure about Big Sam at all. I strongly disagree with so many of his team selections and tactical decisions and I think he's largely to blame for our poor form and position in the table.

I'm prepared to be patient though even if it means another mediocre trophyless season, but I wonder if Capello could be persuaded to take over if he fails to get the England job. That kind of appointment would guarantee success in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

The sooner someone shows mark viduka and alan smith the door the
    sooner Newcastle will start to climb the league.
    Two awful awful players.
    Viduka is now even too lazy to run 5 yards to close down defenders.
    This is the same player that single handedly beat liverpool when he was at
    leeds all those years ago.
    I hate myself for saying this but i think ray houghtons analysis of him Saturday was spot on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Viduka absolutely has to be dropped until he proves in training that he gives a fck.

at this point until Mickey Owen is fixed again Smith and Martins is probably the best option up front.

Or maybe even a 4-3-3 with a midfield trio of Barton, Geremi and Emre and an attacking trio of N'Zogbia LWF, Milner RWF and Martins ST. That would at least be a tough side to break down, with a nice bit of pace and creativity as well.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Or maybe even a 4-3-3 with a midfield trio of Barton, Geremi and Emre and an attacking trio of N'Zogbia LWF, Milner RWF and Martins ST. That would at least be a tough side to break down, with a nice bit of pace and creativity as well.

I have always thought that this would be a very strong team for us

Martins
    N'Zogbia
    Milner

Emre
    Barton

Butt
    Enrique
    Rozenhal
    Faye----Geremi
    Given

N'Zogbia and Milner with balls into the box and Emre and Barton breaking from midfield.

Maybe you could swap Baye into Right back sometimes, and Owen up front if
    he is ever fit.
    Cacapa will be fine on the bench, he should get the confidence back.

We really do need a top midfielder that can get around the pitch.

Bring on the transfer window. Get Owen out of there and buy a decent, fit striker.

I was disgusted with the state of play on Saturday. Allardyce said at the beginning of the season that we have real potential to threaten in the league this year.... Not with performances like that we won't.

The commentators on Sky made an excellent point during the game asking the question, "After England, is managing Newcastle the second hardest job in the country?"

I think the answer is yes. Allardyce made two extremely poor substitutions. Bringing off Emre and N'zogbia were very bad moves in my opinion and the fans were right to be angry and frustrated.

It's all well and good to say that he had done a good job with Bolton while he was there but Newcastle is a much bigger pool to be jumping into.

We need a result against Blackburn to gain any sort of confidence going into the match with Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm utterly astounded by Allardyce. i had huge respect for him after his long tenure with Bolton but frankly it seems at the moment that all the criticism levelled against him is justified. his decisions so far has seemed completely out of character with his previous tenure at Bolton in my opinion. will he ever get it right? and more importantly will he be given the time it takes to get it right? he seems to be going backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Come back Guillit, all is forgiven!

I'd even take Souness at this point.

I'd even take Souness at this point.

TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well ok... If any manager ruined our team then it was definitely him. Bring back Keegan...

• Advertisement

Nah keegan was the past, i know everyone says we should bring him back but it would be a wrong move. The game of football in england has changed big time since our good ol' days.

Leave Allardyce to his rebuilding work without us on his back, he will get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Viduka absolutely has to be dropped until he proves in training that he gives a fck.

at this point until Mickey Owen is fixed again Smith and Martins is probably the best option up front.

See thats the problem! Im all for giving the manager time to settle down and all that, give him a chance

But Viduka is HIS signing and still hes as lazy as f**, sets such a bad example for everyone else at the club .

Secondly bringing n'zogbia off when really what we needed was teh two wingers and to create SOMETHING, not perhaps win the game (0-2 down at that stage) but at least show some spark of life rather then over defensive crap that could have leeked another 5-6 more.

With Arsenal coming up, home games are looking bleak, Dont forget Sam there are 50,000 home fans not happy due to YOUR decisions, not the result, disappointed about that but forgivable ....hard to ignore in St james

Well said smog.

I was very excited at the prospect of having Allardyce as a manager. I still kinda am.
    It is unfair to just criticise him over our state of play of late even though he has made some ridiculous decisions recently.

He will have to buy more players in January. Mostly defenders I think. I really wouldn't be surprised to see N'Zogbia go to Arsenal. They were looking at him last season.

I think it's time for Allardyce to leave. He can't keep hiding behind his excuse that it's going to take four or five years to get Newcastle to challenge for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

I was very excited at the prospect of having Allardyce as a manager. I still kinda am.

What a difference a game can make!:
    I think it's time for Allardyce to leave.

I think you're probably right, but it just looks very funny seeing those 2 posts together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Bu who do we get in?

I don't think there is a manager out there that can turn this club around in a single season, let alone 15 games.

I think that we need to give him time, I will admit that he has made some very bad tactical decisions recently but I will give him the benifit of the doubt.

We need a top quality midfielder and a top class centre-half in January although that would be hard to achieve.

Some reports suggesting Allardyce will be sacked (a bit premature imo) if we lose at home to Arsenal on Wednesday night.

Hector Cuper, the perennial underachiever, got sacked by Real Betis today.

Lost Argentinian Championship on final day with Lanús
    Lost the final of the Copa del Rey with Mallora
    Lost the final of the Cup Winners' Cup with Mallorca
    Runner up with Valencia in the final of of the Chanmpions League in 2000, and again in 2001.
    Runner up twice in Serie A with Inter Milan, (top on the final day and 2-0 up at ht against Lazio, but still lost the game 4-2).
    Never won a major trophy and sacked from Real Betis today.

Cúper and Newcastle might be the perfect match...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like you'll have Shearer in the short term (if you can belive the papers).

Player revolt not a good sign.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7126310.stm

Mike.

• Advertisement

That players revolting is a big load of Shíte, shay and co. already came out and said it was bullshít.

ANYWAY, here are my two cents.

We have been through some horrible situations in the past, bowyer and dyer incident, getting knocked out of the uefa cup, souness nearly putting our club into the championship, roeder nearly doing the same and i say there are alot more which i cant think of right now. The thing is, things have been real ****ing low in the past but always we get behind the team and we help them grind out the results which get us out of trouble. Now once again as with every season, we face another problem, we have had a ****e run of results and the manager is under extreme pressure. Now we all have different views on the manager and who we would like to have in charge, but that doesnt matter at all. The only thing that matters is that we get behind the team 110% and be there 12th man, because if we do that against Arsenal on wednesday, i know we will get a result. Just want to say fair play to the fans down in ewood park who never stopped singing and helping the team, thats what every toon supporter should be doing.

All in all, we love this club, so lets show it and prove to the rest of the country that we are the best supporters and we have the best team.

Come on the toon.

Advertisement