Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Uuuugh just when i thought we were guna turn our season around we just feck it up as usual, another typical season for the newcastle united supporter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

West Ham United are on the trail of Newcastle United defender and England Under-21 Captain Steven Taylor

Steven Taylor turned down a contract offer from Newcastle way back in October – thought to be in the region of £1M/year, and talks have been on-going between the Taylor camp and Newcastle United, but as we pointed out last week, there has so far been no agreement on the contract.

Taylor has made it very clear to anybody who wants to listen there is only one club he wants to play for, and that is Newcastle United. West Ham now have a number of former Newcastle players in their ranks with Lee Bowyer, Scott Parker, Nobby Solano and Kieron Dyer all moving there from Newcastle and Craig Bellamy also finding his way to the London club
    it’s now getting a little worrying that Steven isn’t signed up for the next 5 years. We’ve already signed up our other 21 years old stars, James Milner and Charles N’Zogbia. That must be a top priority for the Newcastle board in the new year.

As long as that doesn’t happen we’re going to have clubs hovering around seeing if they can snatch Steven Taylor away, on the chance they may get lucky

http://nufcblog.com/2007/12/31/players/steven-taylor/west-ham-pursue-steven-taylor-%e2%80%93-no-chance/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

would quite like him at Liverpool tbh. Go on Rafa, get one over on Sam (before he gets the sack!) ;)

The fact that hes english as well will tempt a lot of clubs .. hope he stays though, one of the more solid defenders we have

Hahahahaha no way in hell will we ever sell stephen taylor!

wanna be offering him more then he has already refused then :)

Anyway, any addtions anyone would like to see? i doubt Sam will have huge budget considering more the high wages at the club and Freddys hiding of debt then anything else but if money was there who would you like to see in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

I would like to see a top class Central defender come in and a new box-to-box centre midfielder (a real leader who can get the players going).

I'm pretty sure Joey Barton is going to get locked up now, so we will need to replace him.

Other then that we just need to start playing as a team, we simply don't do that enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

whats the thinking with newcastle fans here on big sam? would you really favour sacking another manager without giving him time to build and stabilise his own team??? i mean surely you have learned by now that you dont get instant success?

It really is a tough one.

When he was first appointed, i was over the moon because i thought he would be the man who finally get us to where we want to be.
    I know success cant be gotten straight away, like a top 10 finish would do me but the thing is we are playing terrible football, Sam keeps playing players out of position, crazy formations which do not work, the only time he uses 4 4 2 is at the end of the game and its obvious his 5 man midfield and lone striker is doing **** all.

Im confident, if he gets through this season without out being sacked that he will really get us going next season but the fact of the matter is that the geordie faithful pretty much want sam out at this stage, ive talked to loads of fellow newcastle fans and they are not happy at all!

The next month or so will really be monumental in terms of our season and whether Sam will keep his job or not.

Only time will tell, let the soap opera that is newcastle united continue

• Advertisement

I think if you look back at our "successes" over the last 15 years, they have all come under long term managers. Kevin Keegan and Bobby Robson both had long stints in charge and we played champions league football under both of them.

I think Sam needs to start playing good football, football the fans will get excited about, the even if we are losing we would still be able to say "at least we went for it".

I think most managers need 2 years with 4 transfer windows to start to put there own look and feel on a team. They should then be starting to progress very well.

Only time will tell now.

that was a poor performance, but city are a good team when on form, i assume sams head will be called for again and that but really i think your board and fans should keep faith with him, give him time to build his own team anyway, i will have to just hope the club have learned that stability and continuity is the way to build success not changing managers every 18 months

We were woeful tonight, players were running around like headless chickens!

there were some positives though, dont be totally negative, some good football played in parts, thats an improvement, owen will be much better for having the run and the sooner he back the better. give sam time and he will get results, luck evens out by the end of the season and you havent had much luck yet

So the latest is Wes Brown ??
    Not to sure about this one, he always seemed a bit of a bramble to to me but good to see defense is the objective

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3021714,00.html

Bid for wes brown has been turned down

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3022089,00.html

• Advertisement

Think they were smart and put in a "low" bid first rather then chuckin money around.

And two of the younger signings kick of today. (from nufcblog.com)

Newcastle United have today completed the signing of Ben Tozer, the Swindon Town 17 year-old left back expected to be loaned out to a championship side

Also expect Newcastle to be announcing the capture shortly from Le Havre of 18 year-old striker Wesley Ngo Baheng. In mid-October the Northern Echo reported that Newcastle had come to a pre-contract agreement with the youngster, and that thee contracts would be signed in January.

Baheng joined Le Havre as a trainee in 1999, and is regarded as one of the rising stars of French football and will easily fit in at St. James’ Park since we already have N’Zogbia, Habib Beye, Claudio Cacapa, Abdoulaye Faye and Geremi - who all with French as their first language. This will help Wesley get acclimatized quickly at the club.

However, it looks like we may have missed out on another one of our other young targets. The Daily Mail are reporting that Arsenal have beaten off competition from West Ham United and Newcastle United to land to sign 15 year-old Gillingham youngster Luke Freeman.

Freeman became the youngest player to play in the FA Cup earlier this season when he appeared during Gillingham’s 2-1 first round defeat to Barnet, aged just 15 years, 233 days. Luke had said earlier that Arsenal was his preferred choice of clubs and it looks like that’s where he will end up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Anyone fancy Diarra as a replacement for Emre? Or Defoe for Martins??

Haven't seen much of Diarra myself.

I quite like Defoe as a player. He has a knack for hitting shots early and getting them on target. He would probably score more goals than Oba but I'd prefer to see him as a replacement for Owen. He's probably more interested in money and staying in London though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Don't rate Diarra much myself, I reckon if Emre got a sting of first team runs he'd be back to his best. Sam isnt giving him a chance by playing him every 4 or 5 games...Not sure about Defoe either, hes lost his touch IMO although having said that it seems Owen has too..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Diarra is a snip at £6m. I don't want him to leave Arsenal as he is potentially a top 4 starting XI player, but he seems a bit 'special' mentally so it seems inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

And Big Sam is gone.

They better have a good plan to sack another manger mid season, ffs 11th isn't the worst, he made some strange decisions but this is simply sacking by media

All those statements saying he was safe ??? What sort of message does that send out?

To all the toon fans on here, lets stick together, we've been through rough times before!

http://www.nufcpics.com/image/Flag-at-FA-Cup-Semi-Final_94862.jpg?mediatype=2&mediaid=94862&FitFill=fit&pvw=694

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nuts. David O'Leary? El Tel? ;) Ged?

Mike.

Jose?! ;)

Hmmmm, this smells more of resignation then the sack. Maybe Big Sam couldn't handle the ridiculously unnecessary pressure he was under?

I really believe we should have given him at least the season.

Maybe Ashley has loftier plans for the team this year then simply stabilising them?

Jol is a strong possibility, I would say, maybe Deschamps?

Nah it was the sack....

SSN had inside sources at Newcastle who advised them he was gettin the bullet, they contacted him and he said he knew nothing about but was going to find out, then the story broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A manager will never resign these days, they lose their massive payout.

Best career ever, stumble into a club, usually get a 3 or 4 year contract, fail miserably within a few months and leave with a few years pay! 6 months later repeat.

Word on the street is that Ashley has already picked his man and that being Redknapp.

Hmmmm

Definately sacked (wishful thinking lads)

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3033753,00.html

Yea SSN was reporting that Ashley has already picked his man and that he is a Brit.

i think Harry would be very similar to Sam in fairness, strange choice if so.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i think Harry would be very similar to Sam in fairness, strange choice if so.

I think Harry has proved at the very least his teams can play attractive football from time to time, that (as much as I hate to admit it) will get you time on tyneside.

God we are a shambles, I hope Ashley and Mort have a plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Can't see how Redknapp is going to do anything that Allardyce couldn't have done given time. Makes no sense to keep chopping and changing managers like this. Must be costing the club a fortune. Redknapp would be well advised to say thanks but no thanks. Sod that for a circus.

I've always rated Harry - never liked the guy much in interviews but I admire his teams. Quite the opposite of Big Sam.

Looking at some of the comments from other fans in this thread, the Big Sam thread, and Villa thread, I'm tempted to start a let's all laugh at Spurs or Liverpool or whoever thread. Anyone?

I seriously think the media (London biased) have it in for Newcastle and so many people are getting brainwashed by it. We're really not that far behind any other club outside the top 4, and we've probably gained slightly now that the last link from the Shepherd regime is gone.

Most big teams outside london feel the london based media is biased against them, this is not exclusive to the Geordies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Newcastle have been a bit of a farce in recent years to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Most big teams outside london feel the london based media is biased against them, this is not exclusive to the Geordies.
    Have to agree here. It must the United Nations conspiracy against whichever team you happen to support. Most accurate media is the local papers to the respective clubs.

Exactly, the Echo is the only paper i listen to it regards to Liverpool stories.

(i actually do believe that the london based media is biased towards their clubs though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Nah not biased, just far too lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Redknapp would be a massive improvement. Was never a fan of Allardyce and the long ball, long throw in crap he favours. That quote, if true, of a team meeting consisting of Allardyce going on at length about stopping the opposition etc. followed by a Newcastle player asking 'and what do we do if we have the ball?' says it all for me.

Redknapp would be a massive improvement. Was never a fan of Allardyce and the long ball, long throw in crap he favours. That quote, if true, of a team meeting consisting of Allardyce going on at length about stopping the opposition etc. followed by a Newcastle player asking 'and what do we do if we have the ball?' says it all for me.

Anyone who watched a Newcastle game this season has to admit that the players hadnt a notion what to do when they got the ball, it was so god damn obvious!

Cant help feeling optimistic, Ashley wants attractive football, we have the players to do it, and he must know what he is doing so im expecting a top class manager to come in

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0110/newcastle.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Haven't seen anyone mention Kevin Keegans name yet. A Kevin Keegan/ Alan Shearer combo would be an intersting proposition!

Redknapp out of Newcastle running
    Alan Shearer and Harry Redknapp have both distanced themselves from the Newcastle job
    Shearer and Redknapp have distanced themselves from the Newcastle job
    Portsmouth are adamant Harry Redknapp will stay on as manager at Fratton Park despite him being tipped to succeed Sam Allardyce as boss of Newcastle United.

A Pompey statement read: "The club has received no approaches for the services of our valued manager Harry Redknapp. He remains as committed as ever."

Former Magpies captain Alan Shearer has also been linked with the vacancy.

But sources close to Shearer say he is happy with his Match of the Day job and is extremely unlikely to take the post.

Redknapp, who recently signed a new improved four-year contract at Pompey, had earlier distanced himself from speculation linking him to the Magpies.

"There's nothing in my being linked with the job. I am happy on the south coast," he told the News in Portsmouth. "I have not spoken to anyone from Newcastle. I really do not know anything about this."

When asked by BBC Radio Solent whether he was interested in taking over at St James' Park he said it was a "hypothetical question".

Regardless of his stance and Portsmouth's claims, Redknapp has been made the even-money favourite by several bookmakers.

Other names linked with the job include Martin Jol, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klinsmann, Italy's World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi, Blackburn manager Mark Hughes and former England boss Steve McClaren.

But McClaren appears to be a very remote prospect after Newcastle owner Mike Ashley quipped last month that the former Boro manager was "there with the ex-wife on the 'Do not get a Christmas card' list".

Magpies assistant boss Nigel Pearson has been put in temporary charge for Saturday's match against defending champions Manchester United.

However, former Tottenham vice-president Paul Kemsley, who is a close friend of Ashley, has hinted a permanent appointment may not be far off.

Kemsley, who is a known admirer of Redknapp and is thought to have wanted Spurs to appoint him as Martin Jol's replacement, would not be drawn on whether Ashley already had a manager lined up.

But he told BBC Radio 5 Live: "Mike is a considered guy, he does not make rash decisions. He will have a plan and I am sure he knows what he is doing.

"I would be very excited if I was a Newcastle fan, as I know Mike will deliver for them. He wants to see good quality, attacking football and he wants to win games."

The fact remains that Newcastle are now looking for their sixth manager in 10 years.

Ironically, Allardyce had spoken about the lack of time afforded to Premier League managers in the modern-day game just before he was sacked.

Mike [Ashley] has already invested £250m in the club and is prepared to invest more but he wants to do that with his own man in place

But Kemsley feels Allardyce may have been living on borrowed time because he was appointed by ex-chairman Freddy Shepherd before Ashley's takeover.

He added: "Allardyce was not Mike's choice - but he gave him time because he wanted to see if he could deliver.

"However, he felt it was in the best interests of the club to sack Allardyce and that is what happened.

"Mike has already invested £250m in the club and is prepared to invest more but he wants to do that with his own man in place."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7180147.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Hearing that Harry got the job

• Advertisement

you will see it filtering on the bbc in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Where'd you hear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Oh dear, he's hardly a huge step up in footballing vision from big sam . .. .

Don't think it's being announced until after the united match now. I wouldn't want it announced either till after this. Some way to start your career against unted espesially the Newcastle job. Heard from a reputable source.

and hes turned it down .. what do recon plan b is ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement