Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Shambles, absolute shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Another great performance today by the lads, Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Cant help feeling optimistic, Ashley wants attractive football

He got it today, just all down the wrong end.

Can you honestly see a class manager want to take over that rabble?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Newcaslte fans chanting Shearers name in Old Trafford?

Kinaldo- i thought the "real" newcastle fans dont want that appointment? cant get much more "real" than away fans surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Shambles, absolute shambles.

I just watched the Manu v Newcastle game and i feel sorry for the players but i think for the fans a result that was deserved for the way they forced Sam Allardyce out of the toon like they have so many others.

I think Redknapp would have done a fantastic job, but does he really need the drama and hassle at this stage? In fairness its only newcastle fans who believe they are a top club, history proves you wrong, nothing more the a midtable team. If you want to get to a top six, then you need to give someone at least five years and fully believed Sam Allardyce was the man. I wouldnt back against the Boro taking on sam if they decide to get rid of southgate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I expected an absolute thrashing, and I certainly wasn't disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

do newcastle fans honestly believe that would have happened if allardyce was managing? i honestly dont think it would...... and why exaclty do the newcastle fans and it was the away fans today so i would class them as real fans, want shearer as manager?? where exactly are his credentials?? i seriously doubt hes stupid enough to finish any future managerial career he may have by taking that job, its a career graveyard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Probably would have been 3- or 4-0 with Allardyce. I genuinely don't know why any of the fans want Shearer as manager, and if he had any sense he won't take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Mike Ashley breaks his silence in NOTW exclusive

the best part
    I want a team that will go all out to try to give Chelsea a walloping, that'll try to stuff Tottenham and that will be brave and bold enough to attack Man Utd.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/1301_ashley.shtml

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Newcaslte fans chanting Shearers name in Old Trafford?

Kinaldo- i thought the "real" newcastle fans dont want that appointment? cant get much more "real" than away fans surely?

well? wats the lowdown? also can add to this a banner in the away end of old trafford today in favour of shearer

• Advertisement

Can you honestly see a class manager want to take over that rabble?
    Allardyce - a reputed top class manager - was happy to take over a worse rabble. That was under Freddie Shepherd and we've since improved the squad with a billionaire owner. Nothing would surprise me to be honest.

well? wats the lowdown? also can add to this a banner in the away end of old trafford today in favour of shearer

Newcastle fans like Shearer A LOT. We all know he would be a gamble. Most managers are. Obviously we would prefer Mourinho, but we do not chant his name (for sure).

You saying they werent chanting Shearers name or that they wouldnt chant Joses name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's strange to me how shearer is seen as some kind of Messiah. Great player that he was, Newcastle won nothing with Shearer as a player. Not so much as two-bob cup. While that wasn't entirely his fault, it does make me wonder why anyone would expect him to come along now and win trophies with the club as a manager, especially having no management experience whatsoever.

He'd be on a hiding to nothing, under pressure right from the start. I couldn't see it going well.

You saying they werent chanting Shearers name or that they wouldnt chant Joses name?
    ffs, why would I say they weren't chanting his name when they clearly were?? Honestly.

i dont know thats wat i was asking.

the other day you said that real newcastle fans didnt want shearer as manager, do you now accept they do?

i dont know thats wat i was asking.

the other day you said that real newcastle fans didnt want shearer as manager, do you now accept they do?
    Real Newcastle fans? as opposed to what, the fake ones??

I think I more likely said "the majority of Newcastle fans" or "most Newcastle fans".

It's probably quite close in relation to Shearer though. A lot of fans just seem resigned to him taking over at this stage, with little hope/availability of a top class experienced manager.

by real i mean match-going.

ok thats fair enough then, but you do realise this is all in stark contrast to wat you were saying the other night.

how shearer would never get the job, and ashley would more than likey be able to get any top class managers to newcastle incl jose

by real i mean match-going.

ok thats fair enough then, but you do realise this is all in stark contrast to wat you were saying the other night.

how shearer would never get the job, and ashley would more than likey be able to get any top class managers to newcastle incl jose
    I never said Shearer would never get the job. I still believe Mike Ashley could get a Mourinho.

Just a few posts above I said nothing would surprise me.

Please use the quote button if you're gonna quote me from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kinaldo wrote: »
    I never said Shearer would never get the job. I still believe Mike Ashley could get a Mourinho.

I'm sorry but Mourinho to Newcastle? I really doubt that's a possibility.

As an outsider looking in at Newcastle I think the fans have behaved abysmally with their treatment of Allardyce. I don't like Big Sam personally but to have your own fans booing you before Christmas is a disgrace. Newcastle were never going to challenge the top of the league with the amount of attitudes within the club. Just because you have a big stadium and fan base doesn't give you a God-given right to be up the top as we well know at City. Shearer would be a disaster and the fans have their Geordie-blinkers on if they think it would be anything other than Gareth Southgate Mark II.

As I said, I'm an outsider looking in so I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Messiah Returns?

A Keegan/ Shearer dream team? All thats missing there would be the ashes of Wor Jackie on the touchline in some kind of Toon Army Holy Trinity :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you get Shearer you get the motivation skills I'd say, but with no knowledge of whether he has any tactical ability or player judgement ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Shearer never struck me as manager material while he was MotD anyway. But then maybe its because I hate the guy and am inclined to see the worst in him.

I have to say, all in all, I'm fully behind this (possible) appointment :D

Allardyce - a reputed top class manager - was happy to take over a worse rabble.

I wasn't aware you set your standards so low.

For info purposes:

Ashley is best mates with Paul Kelmsley, the man responsible for the farce that was the palace coup against Martin Jol at Spurs, before stepping down from Tottenham's board. I have it on very good authority that Kelmsley has been trying to get Ashley to pull out of the Toon and launch a joint bid for Spurs. Ashley is apparently appaled at the state of affairs he has found Newcastle in since taking over (though if he wasn't aware of the main problems before he put pen to paper then his judgement must be questioned)

In football terms, neither man could find their arse with both hands and a pack of hunting hounds.

For info purposes:

Ashley is best mates with Paul Kelmsley, the man responsible for the farce that was the palace coup against Martin Jol at Spurs, before stepping down from Tottenham's board. I have it on very good authority that Kelmsley has been trying to get Ashley to pull out of the Toon and launch a joint bid for Spurs. Ashley is apparently appaled at the state of affairs he has found Newcastle in since taking over (though if he wasn't aware of the main problems before he put pen to paper then his judgement must be questioned)

In football terms, neither man could find their arse with both hands and a pack of hunting hounds.
    Whatever. Mike Ashley's interview in the NOTW today is far more telling to Newcastle fans than what Spurs fans hear on good authority.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware you set your standards so low.
    I think you misunderstood me.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    As an outsider looking in at Newcastle I think the fans have behaved abysmally with their treatment of Allardyce. I don't like Big Sam personally but to have your own fans booing you before Christmas is a disgrace.
    I think Allardyce's treatment of the fans was just reward. He came to Newcastle arrogantly spouting off about how he only knows how to play "winning, effective football". If it was merely semi-effective then there would have been very little booing. The fact of the matter is that he persisted in playing players out of position and leaving our best players on the bench to accommodate his 433 system - a system that failed miserably against the top teams, struggled against midtable mediocrity, lost to relegation fodder, and failed to beat lower league rubbish. In 24 games we've produced barely an hour's worth of decent football. Unacceptable.

I think Allardyce's treatment of the fans was just reward. He came to Newcastle arrogantly spouting off about how he only knows how to play "winning, effective football". If it was merely semi-effective then there would have been very little booing. The fact of the matter is that he persisted in playing players out of position and leaving our best players on the bench to accommodate his 433 system - a system that failed miserably against the top teams, struggled against midtable mediocrity, lost to relegation fodder, and failed to beat lower league rubbish. In 24 games we've produced barely an hour's worth of decent football. Unacceptable.

In fairness, i think Big Same has a far better idea how to play winning football than the newcastle fans.

In fairness, i think Big Same has a far better idea how to play winning football than the newcastle fans.
    Well if only we could all think like Big Sam...

I think you misunderstood me.

I don't think I did.

You think you can attract a clas manager, who exactly? Of course Ashley can offer money, but you're squad is not much better now than before Allaradyce took over, and you're a club who have just dumped a manager after 24 games...plus it's Newcastle...hardly a ringing endorsement. Allardyce isn't a class manager (what has he won? a First Division title here with Limerick, and the 3rd Division (now League 2) with Notts County), he's a good manager...the same way Redknapp and Moyes are good managers.

• Advertisement

I don't think I did.

You think you can attract a clas manager, who exactly? Of course Ashley can offer money, but you're squad is not much better now than before Allaradyce took over, and you're a club who have just dumped a manager after 24 games...plus it's Newcastle...hardly a ringing endorsement. Allardyce isn't a class manager (what has he won? a First Division title here with Limerick, and the 3rd Division (now League 2) with Notts County), he's a good manager...the same way Redknapp and Moyes are good managers.
    Tell me, without mentioning London, what makes Spurs so much better off that they can attract Juande Ramos, having sacked their most successful ever Premiership manager about 10 games in?

Tell me, without mentioning London, what makes Spurs so much better off that they can attract Juande Ramos, having sacked their most successful ever Premiership manager about 10 games in?

What have Spurs got to do with this? Stop defelcting.

What have Spurs got to do with this? Stop defelcting.
    Spurs are rivals, a comparable sized club, that have just attracted a top class manager. The question isn't meant to deflect, it's to make a point - why not Newcastle then.

also worth mentioning that martin jol was manager at Spurs from November 2005 to November 2007.

so Ramos knew that the board were not likely to sack him after a few weeks if things werent going their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The fans backed Jol way more to

also worth mentioning that martin jol was manager at Spurs from November 2005 to November 2007.

Longer, was 3 years at the helm.

More importantly, Ramos was intimately involved in the process of Jol being replaced in that he was originally approached to take over from Jol during the Summer of 2007. Ramos made it known last season that he would like to manage in England some day, and went so far as to appoint a UK agent (whose name escapes me right now), who incidently had contacts at Spurs, one of whom was my old mucker Paul Kelmsley. I believe the initial contact was made when Spurs and Seville met in the UEFA Cup last season.

Of course, I could point to two 5th place finishes in the preceeding seasons, reasonable domestic cup runs last season, and the guarantee of European football this season.

I could also mention the decent squad (though lacking balance) which I do not think Newcastle can match right now.

IMO, the Newcastle job will only be taken by a manger who wants to make the step up from a smaller club...you will struggle to attract class managers in your current state, so should instead concentrate on managers with potential. Look south to Blackburn for your next manager, and give the man more than half a bloody season!

Unearthly wrote: »
    The fans backed Jol way more to

Indeed, up to us losing a 3-1 lead at Fulham this season he had the backing of the vast majority of our fans.

Even on the night he was let go he still had huge support.

While we're only a midtable team I think the enormous potential of the club is something more important than recent league finishes and cup runs when it comes to attracting top names. The stadium, the fans, and the money are all in place, not to mention a few decent players.

Imagine what a manager like Mourinho could do at Newcastle with the backing of Mike Ashley, then imagine him imagining it.

so Ramos knew that the board were not likely to sack him after a few weeks if things werent going their way
    Also worth mentioning that the current Spurs board appointed Martin Jol to begin with.

So Martin Jol knew that the board were not likely to sack him after a few weeks if things weren't going their way.

Also worth mentioning that the current Spurs board appointed Martin Jol to begin with.

So Martin Jol knew that the board were not likely to sack him after a few weeks if things weren't going their way.

They didn't though, he got three years to prove himself.

He also wasn't originally appointed manager, he was assistant to Santini and replaced him when he stepped down (on the recommendation of DOF Frank Arnensen)

You're not doing yourself any favours in trying to compare the two situations.

• Advertisement

Right, fck it, I'm still hungover and bleeding black and white from all the drama this week. We shall see what happens. Maybe I'm way off and we'll get Graeme Souness again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I think newcastle deserve a manager with the vision of playing decent football and not just makiing the team physically combatitive and hard to beat (a lá Big Sam).

I hope Ashley is putting in strong frameworks to secure the future and wellbeing of the club and not just giving lip service.

Decent squad, large financial backing and strong fanbase (in attendence terms anyway). I think the Newcastle job has a lot to offer a manager.

You'll find the fans were so irate and impatient at Big Sam becasue he played awful football and the transfers in (Beye, Faye etc with exception of Enrique) were a step in the wrong direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thought ye all might like to hear the thoughts of Alex Ferguson :o

Sir Alex: Bosses need time

Harry Redknapp may have ruled himself out of the vacant Newcastle United manager’s job, but speculation continues to surround the position.

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes is the new bookies' favourite, despite insisting he's happy at Ewood Park, while former Newcastle striker Alan Shearer has the support of the fans.

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson, secure in his post at Old Trafford, is convinced Newcastle’s top job is one of the toughest around.

“I would say Newcastle are the most difficult club to manage in the game, gobbling up managers and spitting them out again with hardly a pause," he told United Review.

“Their list of sacked bosses reads like a who’s who of football with some of the greatest players taking up the challenge, though not for very long.”

It’s the demand for instant success that seems to rankle Sir Alex most.

“Top-class players like Jack Charlton, Ossie Ardiles, Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Ruud Gullit, Sir Bobby Robson and Graeme Souness have all been and gone.

“Surely one of that distinguished band of legends would have been successful if the directors, supporters and media had shown a little more patience and given the guys in the hot seat time to plan and build.

“Sam Allardyce had the job for only eight months after success at Bolton and being tipped as the next England manager! If they regarded their managers as something more than ships passing in the night they might achieve the stability and consistency that is the basis of success at any club.”

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=523324

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Lads different Owner, different Chairman, different story. this dragging up shepards past is really begining to annoy me.

Ashley/Mort have not hired a single manager yet, give them time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

smog wrote: »
    Lads different Owner, different Chairman, different story. this dragging up shepards past is really begining to annoy me.

Ye, but they've fired one...after 24 games!
    It doesn't bode well for the future. I will never understand why Allardyce wasn't given until the end of the season and take it from there?

Nunu wrote: »
    I will never understand why Allardyce wasn't given until the end of the season and take it from there?
    Because he was ****. Hardly rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Because he was ****. Hardly rocket science.

Ah now come on, it's not that simple is it?
    No one can argue performances were not up to scratch but it wasn't simply down to him being '****'.
    Looks like they were being presumptious and putting all there eggs in one basket on Redknapp. It looks like he won't take it so it's interesting to see how things will unfold

If it ends up being Shearer I think you will be ok short term...but ****ed long term.

Let's look back on his sacking at the end of the season, see where Newcastle are and what other candidates become available, and then make up our minds if it was the right decision or not.

Just wanted to say a quick prayer before I go to bed:

Our gaffer, who art in the Toon,
    Mourinho be thy name,
    Thy kingdom come,
    Thy will be done,
    For Newcastle as it was at Chelsea.

Give us this day a f****** attacking midfielder
    And forgive Jose Enrique
    For being a bit of a slow starter.
    And lead us not into temptation,
    To call for your head.

But deliver us the a trophy,
    For thine is the Kingdom,
    To have the power and the glory,
    For ever and ever

Jose (Amen).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

smog wrote: »

Nunu wrote: »
    Ye, but they've fired one...after 24 games!
    It doesn't bode well for the future. I will never understand why Allardyce wasn't given until the end of the season and take it from there?

And see two posts above for a ready made answer, or if you cant be bothered see below
    Morf wrote: »
    I think newcastle deserve a manager with the vision of playing decent football and not just makiing the team physically combatitive and hard to beat (a lá Big Sam).

I hope Ashley is putting in strong frameworks to secure the future and wellbeing of the club and not just giving lip service.

Decent squad, large financial backing and strong fanbase (in attendence terms anyway). I think the Newcastle job has a lot to offer a manager.

You'll find the fans were so irate and impatient at Big Sam becasue he played awful football and the transfers in (Beye, Faye etc with exception of Enrique) were a step in the wrong direction.

Advertisement