Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

From f365:

'Toon legend Alan Shearer is the fans' favourite to take over as manager of Newcastle United' brayed the Newcastle Sunday Sun at the weekend.

Really? They may want to take a look at a poll in the Sunday Sun's sister paper, The Newcastle Evening Chronicle, which puts Kevin Keegan way out in front on an impressive 42.6%.

Shearer? 14.4%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Shearer was collared by Sky Sports News this morning who asked him about it. He said he'd like the job 'some time' but didn't elaborate. When asked about the dream team duo with Keegan he only replied that he hasn't spoken to Keegan in ages. He was giving nothing away and it was obvious from his cagey demeanour that he's not ruling himself out of the picture just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ged Houllier would be a pretty senseible choice, it woud'nt be exciting but I reckon fans would trade flashy for tight at the back and some 1 nil wins.

Mike.

But they just fired Big Sam in part because of his negative tactics. Houllier while a probably better manager, is just as negative, albeit in a more tactical way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Newcastle fans can't see the difference between dull and bad they need thier heads checking!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Id take Houllier and i say most newcastle fans would, says on ssn that we are in talks with him already and with a possibility of having shearer as no.2.

Id be very happy with that .

So the whole thing about Big Sam playing boring football was just bull**** then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Apparently Deschamps has just jumped from 80/1 to bookies favourite.

:)

Skybet have stopped taking bets. Talksport (owned by Sky if I'm not mistaken) broke the news.

Didier Deschamps has revealed he would relish the "exciting" test of reviving Newcastle's fortunes after he swept ahead of Mark Hughes and fellow Frenchman Gerard Houllier to emerge as the front-runner in the race to be the club's next manager.

"I have had no official approach from Newcastle but I am flattered to be linked with such speculation," Deschamps told The Daily Telegraph last night. "It would be an exciting challenge. Newcastle are a big club."

The odds on Deschamps, 39, taking the helm at St James' Park plunged from 80-1 to 2-1 yesterday although suggestions the former Monaco and Juventus manager was already flying to Tyneside for talks with Newcastle's billionaire owner, Mike Ashley, were wide of the mark....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2008/01/16/sfnfro116.xml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

didnt mort or someone say they would be english whoever the manager was?

or was that first choice? (harry redknapp)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    didnt mort or someone say they would be english whoever the manager was?
    no, only sky sports said that. a week ago.

Chris Mort:
    There have been media suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager. That is not true. However, we think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.

i thought they were told it by someone at the club? the night he was given the bullet?

ah well must be wrong.

deschamps be a good choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Oh my god, Newcastle really must be a big club after all:rolleyes:

DSB wrote: »
    Oh my god, Newcastle really must be a big club after all:rolleyes:
    You seem obsessed with this issue for some reason. I'd let it go if I were you.

Yes I'm definitely obsessed with the issue. Despite referring to the thread made about it as pointless. Definitely obsessed though. Send me to rehab.

DSB wrote: »
    Yes I'm definitely obsessed with the issue. Despite referring to the thread made about it as pointless. Definitely obsessed though. Send me to rehab.
    Well you certainly can't resist having a pop at Newcastle for some reason.

I was laughing at how you highlighted that quote. I definitely wouldn't say I've been any more critical to Newcastle than I have been to other clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Keegan's back.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm sure Newcastle were relieved to hear him say 'I will love it' and accept the job. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Is Keegan the best appointment? Probably not, but what the hell, a Newcastle match might be worth watching now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Is Keegan the best appointment? Probably not, but what the hell, a Newcastle match might be worth watching now.

+ 1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Jesus wept, is that a crown they've put on his head!!:http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Home/0,,10278,00.html

...and that's the clubs official website!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

It looks like one of those fake burger king crowns, i hope it's an old picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ah ye, it's defo an old one..and the crown is super imposed.
    I just think it's an hilarious pic to have on the clubs homepage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I was amazed when i saw .. . . Not disgusted but then not delighted either.

No doubt the football will be more entertaining but its hardly an appointment showing much foresight and a plan for the future . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

OOOOOOOH the next few weeks will be interesting, im not sure what to make of this appointment, either genius or idiotic, time will tell!

Toooooooooooooooooooooooooon

• Advertisement

Are Newcastle fans the most fickle in England?

Total number of tickets sold for tonight?

Before the Keegan announcement-30,000

After the announcement-sold out.

says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

2-0 up at Stoke just coming near half time.

Opr

keegans a genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

keegans a genius

lol:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Awful challenge by Emre. horrible little individual.

agreed.

shame too cause he is a decent player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Awful challenge by Emre. horrible little individual.

well he is Turkish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Duff scored. How's he playing?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    well he is Turkish...

wat the **** is that meant to mean?

a joke i dont get? or are you just a horrible little racist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

agreed.

shame too cause he is a decent player

It was retaliation, your man took a lump out of him a couple of minutes before.

Stupid reaction, the midfield is stretched enough as it is without more suspensions.

4-1 win despite playing 2/3 of the match with 10 men, looks like the Keegan glory days are back ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cionád wrote: »
    It was retaliation, your man took a lump out of him a couple of minutes before.

Stupid reaction, the midfield is stretched enough as it is without more suspensions.

The challenge before was bad but it wasnt done to damage Emre, but too try take him someone out on purpose is a scummy thing too do.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    well he is Turkish...

Meant to be funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The challenge before was bad but it wasnt done to damage Emre, but too try take him someone out on purpose is a scummy thing too do.

You would still have to have a look at the ref and wonder why the Stoke lad didn't get booked a few minutes earlier, I know he went for the ball, but he got Emre straight on the knee, could have done serious damage.

If the ref had yellow carded the Stoke player, that probably wouldn't have happened.

Not that I condone the retaliation.

As for the Keegan appointment, could be a stroke of genius for two reasons;

A) If he does well then Ashley/Mort look brilliant to the fans for bringing back their favourite Manager and the good old times. The fans will also be patient with him.

B) If he loses the plot and it all goes belly up, Ashley/Mort say, well at least we got who the fans wanted (not all fans mind you, including me.) and the shadow of the Keegan era is lifted from the club, so the next manager isn't under as much pressure to please so soon.

If they put Shearer in as number 2 in what could only be described as a Newcastle "dream team" then they would kill two birds with one stone, for the very same reasons as above. Genius!

Now hopefully half the players will realise they could be gone in the morning and get their act together, they will be playing for their jobs until the end of the season.

Keegan will also get backed to the hilt in the transfer market for the next two weeks. Expect one or two more back-pages filled with toon signings over the coming weeks.

Exciting and entertaining times ahead no matter what. :D

Come on the toon!

Shearer wants the number 2 position too i think

he was on bbc talking at half time in the Man City/Hammers game and said that he'd definately have to talk to Keegan if Keegan wanted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Shearer wants the number 2 position too i think

he was on bbc talking at half time in the Man City/Hammers game and said that he'd definately have to talk to Keegan if Keegan wanted him.

I dont thin k it would be a bad thing for him to understudy, without taking the flak as such ... will he work with kev is another question

yea, he may as well, nothing to lose.

Wouldn't it be great if the first thing Keegan does is get rid of Saint Michael and bring in someone like Defoe? And I hear Richard Dunne is stalling on a new contract at City...
    'I used to go into games believing the opposition was scared of me. That belief evaporated when I played under Keegan' - Michael Owen in his autobiography

Michael Owen was a national hero after breaking into England's team at the 1998 World Cup under Glenn Hoddle. But he feared the worst when Keegan took over to revive the ailing Euro 2000 campaign.

Later, writing in his autobiography, he recalled: "For me, the warning signs were all there on the training pitch.

Owen did not enjoy playing for Keegan at Euro 2000

"I assume the manager had conveyed to his staff what he thought of me, and plainly it wasn't complimentary.

"I felt I was being singled out, not just by the manager but the whole coaching staff."

A 3-2 defeat to Romania put England out of Euro 2000. Owen missed the ball completely after 15 seconds. He wrote: "A terrible thought filled my head: 'That's exactly what he wants me to do, because it confirms what he's been saying all week'.

"Guess what? When I caught sight of the manager he was throwing up his arms, shaking his head and gesticulating at the coaches as if to say: 'Did you see that?'.

"That, I can assure you, is one of the worst feelings in the world.

"I used to go into games believing that the opposition was scared of me and that nothing could get in my way.

"That feeling, that belief, evaporated at times when I played under Keegan. "I don't think Keegan had any sort of personal agenda against me, I just think that as England manager at a major tournament he felt under enormous pressure and he needed something or someone to blame.

"I was an easy target. I wasn't on top of my game."
    Peter Beardsley has apparently said Owen would be found wanting in Keegan's training sessions when it came to technical stuff, so much so that he would end up in the back of the line hoping to avoid getting showed up. Or something along those lines.

Starting to slightly worry about Bolton on Saturday. Emre starts his 3 game suspension and Butt and Smith are also suspended (normally a good thing). Barton is also banned from playing and Geremi and Faye are still away on ANC duty so we're looking very short in midfield. Thankfully Duffer is on form again so we can at least play Zoggy in the center if needs be. We're still kinda ****ed cos of Emre's hothead temperament. He'll miss our double header against Arsenal next week too. :(

Hopefully the Keegan factor will just blow them away.

Edit: actually it's uncertain whether Barton is available to play for us since he was bailed until March. Personally I'd prefer never see him play for us again, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Hopefully the Keegan factor will just blow them away.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Can't see anything but a win here, players making an effort for a change as they play for their positions under a new manager, Bolton are dross.

3-1 Newcastle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement