Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Bit of a thing for Spurs eh? Could have pointed out that West Ham qualified automiatically but were unseeded...:rolleyes:

Only cos I consider Spurs to be our main rivals this season, in the league & the Uefa Cup. The two clubs have a lot in common, but we have Duff :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Martins could turn out to be a good signing. But I can't help but think we could do with another striker too. Ameobi is notoriously prone to injury and thats all we have.

Maybe a loan signing? Hopefully we will get Bridge, Babayaro isn't the greatest in defence.

Really think we could do with another option up front though.

Interesting develpements...

I've taken this from another forum as I wholeheartedly agree with everything said
    Ohmelads said:
    As things stand there are not many options. If it's Huth on loan or Woodgate on loan then I'd take Woody every time. The potential risk is small, worst case scenario is we're paying a small portion of his wages while he gives us a couple of games and breaks down. The potential gains are very big, we know he's a top class defender who wouldn't take any time at all to settle at the club as he's been here before. If he gives us 15 games it could make all the difference to our season, it could be the difference between midtable and UEFA Cup, or between UEFA Cup and Champions League.

Real know that no club will be willing to pay all of his wages so I'm pretty sure Real will pay the majority. With no transfer fee to pay and probably a small portion of his wages, I don't see why this is a big risk.

I'm confident about this one because it smacks of Freddy Shepherd. Freddy has apparently tried to bring Woodgate back before and was definitely a big fan of him when he was here. When he left, Woodgate said Freddy had joked about keeping the number 6 shirt for him, but I think it was half-serious because there was always a chance things wouldn't work out in Spain. Woodgate has confirmed he will be going back to England on loan, which limits him to a few clubs. It's much easier for him to come back to the club he knows, and it's an easy deal for Roeder and Shepherd to sort out.

Those who are dead against this signing, I'm interested what realistic alternatives there are? By realistic I mean defenders who can be signed in the next week, defenders Roeder would consider, defenders we can afford. We've got 6 days and as we pursure Gravesen and Bridge, very little money for a central defender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

According to Guilleme Balague on Radio 5 live, Graveson is expected to join Celtic and not Newcastle very soon. :eek: Jesus, the Celtic midfield will be stronger than most premiership teams if this goes through. Graveson, Petrov, Jarosik, Nakamura, Maloney, McGeady, Riordan and then others like Pearson, Lennon, Thompson and Sno. Jesus I'm excited. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bit late to this thread, does anyone reckon the Magpies will be contenders for top 6 this season?.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Bit late to this thread, does anyone reckon the Magpies will be contenders for top 6 this season?.

Mike.

Hard to say Mike.

If we get Woodgate, Bridge and another forward, then we should definately finish top 6.

But then again with the same squad we have now we won a bucket of games in the last 3 months of last season.

I wouldn't mind Mido on loan for the season, we really are short up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I hope we get woodgate on loan. But i think he is going to boro instead :/

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

We finished 7th last year and we've improved greatly since Souness was rightly sacked, so I don't see why not. If we can avoid the injury massacre of last season the squad should be good enough, especially if Woodgate, Bridge, Huth or Graveson sign. We usually do well in the Uefa Cup and I think we could finally win it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

There was a lot of compassion shown towards Woody from NUFC, when he'd returned to training at Real then was crocked again in training and had to go for the op.

He was also an instant hit with the Toon Army and was cheered whenever he made a crunching tackle or a trademark header.

I'm sure that deep down Woody would prefer to come back to the Toon and if it's his choice between us, boro or Villa, he'll be back next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

In the 19(I think) games Woodgate played for Newcastle their form was good enough to challenge for the league title , simply because we conceaded much less . He is a world class defender and makes us a world class team(even incompetent defenders like Bramble were make to look solid beside him) .

I would love Woodgate to come back on loan , even if we could only get 10-12 games out of him it would be worth it .

Yeah we have nothing to lose if we get him on loan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Big Ears wrote:
    I would love Woodgate to come back on loan , even if we could only get 10-12 games out of him it would be worth it .

O yes, he was world class, so solid. I would love to see nothing more than his return, even if only a loan.

Martins starting today for Newcastle.

Roeder said on SSN Martins only has a dead leg. Thank fcuk for that! Hopefully we'll see a new Newcastle team after the international break. Please sign Woodgate!

We looked an absolute mess at the back today, We really need reinforcments back there.

Today's injury to Martin also highlighted that we don't have any backup up front if Martins does have a serious injury.

We could do with somone on loan maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Roeder has said he wants to get in a new striker on loan (http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_1455938,00.html) I'd love if we got in a big strong striker like Ronaldo or Trezeguet! We definately need someone else up front, ameobi wont last with his hip, and martins is too small to lead the line.

I read somewhere that there could be as many as four new additions before next thursday!!

Looks like we are going after Mido, He would be a good loan signing.

2 strikers is not enough for a top 6 finish. Especially with the way our defence is playing.

SSN report that Woodgate is holding talks with Newcastle now. He was pictured leaving Boro earlier after holding talks with them. I think Woody's coming home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

On SSN earlier they said it would be announced before the Boro game tonight that he will sign on a season long loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

are we sure we want woodgate back?? he will get injured. with him owen and dyer at the club at the same time its going to be an injuryfest. well the last 2 years has left me pessimistic and i know hes a very good player but theres a good chance he'll just clog up the physio room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

I'd certainly opt for woodgate back, especially if they can get him for free or very little - yeah hes v injury prone but was v solid when he played for us.

Given was given the mid-season top man for newcastle on soccernet last year - v funny review saying how the hell given had the heart to come out every week looking at the likes of bramble, boumsong etc in front of him. He saved more shots from them than opposing strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

c m wrote:
    are we sure we want woodgate back?? he will get injured. with him owen and dyer at the club at the same time its going to be an injuryfest. well the last 2 years has left me pessimistic and i know hes a very good player but theres a good chance he'll just clog up the physio room

If he's fit for 10 games this year it'll be worth it .

Absolutely gutted Woody signed for Boro, but it's his hometown club and the club he supports so who can blame him for wanting to help them out for a season. I don't know where this leaves our defence now, with Huth also out of the reckoning and Bridge becoming less and less likely. We're gonna have to pull one big rabbit out of the hat in the next 24 hours. Ayala, who's in dispute with Valencia, springs to mind.

I wouldn't mind seeing Viduka here as well although according to skysports website we've had a bid rejected. Personally, I think he's a cracking player and is too good for Boro. They've just signed Jason Euelll so might be willing to let him go now. Saviola is another 'available' striker being linked with us. I suppose it's just wait and see but at this stage I wouldn't be suprised if we didn't sign anyone.

apparently we are signing some egyptian centre back.

He had a trial the other day and he said it went well.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=413050&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Magpies+steal+in+for+Gomaa

I think it's a sick joke that we turned down the chance to sign Campbell this summer and are now in for some unknown and unproven 31 year old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Guiseppe Rossi on loan...Now a day to sort out the defence

Guiseppe Rossi on loan...Now a day to sort out the defence

Fcuking A! I've heard nothing but glowing reports on him. Only a short term loan but at least we have some sort of cover up front for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

Rossi could be good. At least he'd get a few games at newcastle. But Roeder's leaving it a bit tight to get in cover for these gaps. If we miss out and get no one else in, we'd better hope that the team remains injury free.... wouldn't want to see the defence getting any more makeshift than it already is

Latest news from skysports
    WE ARE TRYING TO SELL MILNER TO VILLA for 4 fcukin million!

This makes no sense the guy will be worth about 10 million in 3 years!!!!

Our squad is thin enough as it is!!!!

GAH!

Latest news from skysports
    WE ARE TRYING TO SELL MILNER TO VILLA for 4 fcukin million!

This makes no sense the guy will be worth about 10 million in 3 years!!!!

Our squad is thin enough as it is!!!!

GAH!

Ffs something always has to give. Selling off our best youngers now. I think this is a case of Shepherd telling Roeder he has to sell before he can buy. If this goes through we better use the money to sign someone like Gallas. Will we ever get rid of the black hole in our wage bill that is Dyer I wonder?

• Advertisement

taken from nufc.com:
    Windows error: abort, retry, fail?

Having looked to be trying to sell James Milner to Aston Villa at one stage today (Thursday), there's now speculation that we may be seeking to make a U-turn on the deal, as our hopes of making further signings diminish.

Meanwhile a glum-looking Mark Viduka and his representative sat in the car park at Boro's training ground. Waiting for the phone to ring? or listening out for the welcoming chimes of the ice cream van.....

Earlier in the day the club had confirmed that the club who loaned Milner last season were in receipt of permission to open talks - with United using the money to finance a deal for Viduka.

However this was then discounted by the F.A.B's current club Middlesbrough.

Speaking at the Woodgate press conference, smogs Chief Exec Keith Lamb commented:

"Mark is an important part of our plans and he's staying at Middlesbrough."

Lamb also hinted that a delay in completion of the Huth deal was due to Chelsea being otherwise engaged in transfer business - presumably Ashley Cole's move from Arsenal.

We're off a for lie down - more new lies and misinformation here as they are dreamed up

I don't know what's going on anymore, I just wish we'd hurry up and get a defender in and for the transfer window to close.

It's official now, Milner won't be joining Villa :)

I hate the way the club have used him as a pawn over the last few weeks. Totally unprofessional. Hopefully Roeder will make him feel a bit more wanted now.

Yeah the guy is class and id rather have him on the pitch than solano. solano is good but hes pushing it a bit now.

We must get in a defender!

Watch this space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm pleased with getting Rossi and glad Milner is staying, wonder what'll happen by tonight...

Not sure if anything will. We are looking at going into our third successive season with a very light squad! I'm just fed up of NUFC at the moment, I can just feel other teams getting stronger and us falling away. I wonder if glenn is up to saving our ass again and pulling us out of a relegation dogfight next season!

We have one of the best midfields in the premiership imo and we can creat goals, hopefully wih martins and rossi we can score.

My main concern is our back 4, which is always looking suspect.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~890938,00.html
    NEWCASTLE United have signed Antoine Sibierski from Manchester City on a one-year contract.

The Frenchman, who can play in attack or midfield, arrives at St. James' Park for an undisclosed fee.

Sibierski, aged 32, started his career with Lille, and went on to score 17 goals in 97 appearances.

He then had a two-year spell at Auxerre, netting eight times in 42 games, and then moved to Nantes in 1998 where he made 50 appearances and scored 17.

Sibierski's next port of call was Lens, and in a three-year stint there he bagged 23 goals in 89 games before Kevin Keegan brought him to the Premiership when he swooped to sign him for Manchester City.

Sibierski made 92 appearances and scored 11 times in his time in Manchester.

The Frenchman has played on three occasions against the Magpies, his first appearance coming in the 4-3 win for United at Gallowgate in October 2004, and he also played in Newcastle's 1-0 win against City in August 2005 as well as the 3-0 win for Manchester City in what turned out to be Graeme Souness' last game in charge in February this year.
    Has someone at Newcastle confused this guy with a defender??? :confused:

Ah Come on this cant be serious! Is this what I have waited for all day??

I refuse to believe we won't be signing a single defender especially after our defence has been weakened further by the departure of Boumsong. If Gallas has time for a medical at Arsenal then there's still hope for Bridge yet!

• Advertisement

This is such bull****, hes only scored 11 in 90- something apperances, desperate buy imo.

Im still expecting a big signing in the next 1 hour and twenty minutes.

This is such bull****, hes only scored 11 in 90- something apperances, desperate buy imo.

He's a midfielder!

kinaldo wrote:
    He's a midfielder!

hes a striker and an attacking midfielder!

hes a striker and an attacking midfielder!

He's one of those versatile types yeah but anytime I've seen him for City he's played midfield or on the left. He's tall and he can head the ball not much else to say about him. I expect he'll be very much a squad player to be used sparingly.

Edit: tbh I know very little about him, maybe a City fan will come on here and enlighten us.

Bollox all the same. Looks like this is gonna be huge season for Ramage. God help us if any of our defenders get injured. Bring back Boumsong I say! I'd have even taken Andy O' Brian back, that's how depleted our defence is. Him and Bernard were said to be available for next to nothing. It's almost like Roeder and Co. know something we don't and we don't really need defenders. My guess is we're gonna have to win a lot of games 4-3.

Edit: Apparently Olivier Bernard is out of contract and available on a free so the transfer window is irrelevant if we want to re-sign him. Money grabbing traitor imo but he's better than Baba.

I feel like throwing in the hat and becoming an arsenal fan!!! I Expected a lot this transfer window!!!! Oh well!!! Mid-bottom of the table this year and no uefa cup next season!!!

• Advertisement

Salmon wrote:
    I feel like throwing in the hat and becoming an arsenal fan!!! I Expected a lot this transfer window!!!! Oh well!!! Mid-bottom of the table this year and no uefa cup next season!!!
    I shall remain the eternal optimist when it comes to NUFC...

Nobody will get injured. Luque will come good, Rossi will be a revelation, we'll score tons of goals and get dubbed "the entertainers" by the media, then by January we'll have loads of cash to splash due to a takeover or Man Utd paying way over the odds for Dyer and end up finishing 5th in the league whilst winning the Carling (?) and Uefa Cup.

Martins will also win the golden boot and Owen will turn out to be our saviour making a miraculous recovery in time to play the 10 remaining games of our season.

Just reading the morning papers I spotted this gem in the ever reliable source that is The Sun
    Chelsea had hoped to offload Wayne Bridge, 25, to Newcastle.
    But the move collapsed when Newcastle insisted he join initially on loan until Christmas with a view to a permanent deal in January.
    If that's true then Shepherd has a lot to answer for. The level of incompetence shown in Newcastle's affairs recently over replacing Boumsong, signing a left back and trying to flog Milner off before pulling the plug on him is nothing short of mind boggling and embarrassing.

I can't believe we didn't get Bridge!
    I can't believe we signed sibierski (although he will be handy to have as a 4th choice striker)

Where is the top class defender we are so obviously screaming out for?
    damn you sheephead!!! Damn you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

It's a long way to January for some new defenders. If we get 1 or 2 of those lads injured, it'll be a relegation dogfight this season. Roeder and Shepard dragged their heels all summer, came up with a few good attacking players and forgot that we leak goals like no one.....
    Brilliant

We've re-signed oli bernard! Wasn't good enough for us to hold onto a couple of years ago and has just been released by rangers. Just shows where abouts we lie in the scheme of things and how far we have fallen back since the keegan era! Gonna be a long while waiting for that elusive trophy!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement