Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kinaldo wrote: »
    Starting to slightly worry about Bolton on Saturday. Emre starts his 3 game suspension and Butt and Smith are also suspended (normally a good thing). Barton is also banned from playing and Geremi and Faye are still away on ANC duty so we're looking very short in midfield. Thankfully Duffer is on form again so we can at least play Zoggy in the center if needs be. We're still kinda ****ed cos of Emre's hothead temperament. He'll miss our double header against Arsenal next week too. :(

Hopefully the Keegan factor will just blow them away.

Edit: actually it's uncertain whether Barton is available to play for us since he was bailed until March. Personally I'd prefer never see him play for us again, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Right Kinaldo hit me. Who's gonna start at the back tomorrow? I need a centre half for my fantasy team cause they'll win so it's between Taylor, Cacapa and Rozenhal. I'm going for Rozenhal at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

Edit: actually it's uncertain whether Barton is available to play for us since he was bailed until March. Personally I'd prefer never see him play for us again, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I don't see how Barton can be "unavailable" just because he's been charged with assault. I assume most people who are out on bail go to work or do something and don't just lounge about the house all day like a bum. I don't see why Barton should be any different. If he can play , then this is the time to play him i.e. when there is no-one else. We can regrow our conscience when the other players you mention return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Right Kinaldo hit me. Who's gonna start at the back tomorrow? I need a centre half for my fantasy team cause they'll win so it's between Taylor, Cacapa and Rozenhal. I'm going for Rozenhal at the mo.
    Taylor definitely. He'll probably get a goal too. Roz would be my 3rd choice. He was benched against Stoke but might have to figure in midfield tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Taylor definitely. He'll probably get a goal too. Roz would be my 3rd choice. He was benched against Stoke but might have to figure in midfield tomorrow.

Cool. I'll make my final decision tomorrow.

By the way just noticed your earlier comment about Dunne 'stalling' on his contract. You keep your grubby hands well away! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

I'm a newcastle fan but i care too much about my fantasy team to include a newc defender/keeper. you never get clean sheet points. im bringing in nzogbia this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Yeah, Duffer and the Zog monster are in for me this week also. Duff's a bit of a bargain on the Fantasy at the moment. Hopefully he is ready to hit some long-run form again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think KK will get the best out of Emre and Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think KK was doing some serious brown nosing to Michael Owen in that press conference earlier

ah yeah he preempted the owen questions well i think.
    i reckon he was just in charge of owen at a bad time in his career personally and he didnt come across as a good coach but as big al said, for a centre forward kk is a great coach. you're guaranteed chances.

• Advertisement

terry mac wrote: »
    I don't see how Barton can be "unavailable" just because he's been charged with assault. I assume most people who are out on bail go to work or do something and don't just lounge about the house all day like a bum. I don't see why Barton should be any different. If he can play , then this is the time to play him i.e. when there is no-one else. We can regrow our conscience when the other players you mention return!
    He's allowed to play football except his bail conditions apparently include a 7pm curfew (possibly in Merseyside too).

Remember how Berbatov said he became a Newcastle supporter back in the Keegan days?

Now that KK is back and has loads of money to spend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Berbatov and owen/martins up front, thats a spicy meatball!

Doubt its going to happen though.

Owen is named captain, not sure if its permanent though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect thats a bit of club politics! No harm.

Mike.

Damn Bolton playing for a point. Oh well. It was always gonna be difficult today with so many absentees (Martins, Viduka, Emre, Barton, Geremi, Butt, Smith, Beye and Faye) and no recognised central midfielder.

• Advertisement

They need to sign Arshavin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

jesus its true, keegan is a genious, newcastle keep a clean sheet! wow! ;)

plenty of desire today but lacking the final ball. i thought milners final ball was particularly crap today. zoggy looked like he was the only one willing to do something creative. that said, lots of injuries and bolton played for the 0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I was really impressed with Rozenhal today.

I was until late in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What do you Toon fans make of James Milner? Personally I've never seen him do anything to suggest he's worth his place in a decent premiership team, but then again I've never paid a huge amount of attention to him so I may be wrong.

What do you Toon fans make of James Milner? Personally I've never seen him do anything to suggest he's worth his place in a decent premiership team, but then again I've never paid a huge amount of attention to him so I may be wrong.
    Works his socks off but lacks overall quality. Has a decent shot on him but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I dont like him, we should get rid of him and get SWP in.

how come alot of the fans left early today? no ovation for keegan at the end? i think maybe its time for him to move on yeah? he has been given plenty of time but he just doesnt seem to have what it takes anymore......ruud gullit next anyone? lol :D

please take this comment in jest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yeah he strikes me as the type of player you'd want to get rid of if you want to get anywhere

kryogen wrote: »
    how come alot of the fans left early today? no ovation for keegan at the end? i think maybe its time for him to move on yeah? he has been given plenty of time but he just doesnt seem to have what it takes anymore......ruud gullit next anyone? lol :D

please take this comment in jest!
    Keep 'em coming, the Keegan jokes never get old. I think a few fans were seen exiting in stoppage time, but you can exaggerate that all you want. Sure I had to leave in stoppage time at our 2-2 home draw against Man Utd on New Year's Day 2006 to catch a train to Leeds. It's not unheard of. And Keegan was warmly applauded at the end from what I saw.

i didnt see the last 10 minutes of the game, but i heard the commentary and with more then stoppage time left they were saying fans were leaving, but like i said it was only meant as a little wind up,i dont think much of keegan but i understand how hard it is to beat a team who put ten men behind the ball.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

That was easily one of the worst games to watch in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

I was sort of half expecting headlines this morning that Keegan had walked out, citing that he wasnt up to the tactical end of things.

Seriously though, his next two are Arsenal away, then they have Villa away, Utd, Blackburn and Liverpool. There's a reasonable chance they wont score a single goal until mid March!

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better, that's for sure.

Works his socks off but lacks overall quality. Has a decent shot on him but that's about it.

Sorry Kinaldo, your not giving milner enough credit, the kid is class!
    He has been our best player for the past 2 seasons, he's the only one who gives his all on that pitch and actually trys to create something!

• Advertisement

Kevin Keegan wants Dimitar Berbatov
    By Brian Mcnally 20/01/2008

Kevin Keegan wants to fight Sir Alex Ferguson for Spurs hot - shot Dimi tar Berbatov.

The Geordies' football Messiah saw his first game back in charge at Newcastle end in a lowkey 0-0 draw against Bolton.

But Keegan is plotting another transfer coup over the Manchester United manager Ferguson - and he has an ace up his sleeve.

The £26million-rated Berbatov is a lifelong Toon fan. The 26-year-old Bulgarian striker is at the top of Keegan's wanted list.

The widespread belief is that Berbatov will join Manchester United in the summer.

But, just as he persuaded Alan Shearer to snub Old Trafford and join the Geordies in 1996, Keegan wants to snatch Berbatov out of Fergie's clutches.

And Berbatov's mother Margarita revealed: "As a boy Dimitar used to sleep in his Newcastle shirt. It was that special to him.

"He told me it was his dream to play for Newcastle one day and wear the same shirt as Alan Shearer, who is my son's hero." The other signings Keegan has nominated include Rangers rightback Alan Hutton. He recently turned down a £7million move to Spurs and is also on Ferguson's wanted list.

Keegan would also like to bolster his team's rocky defence with the recruitment of Spurs defender Ledley King. The England centreback's injury problems may make that deal hard to clinch.

Keegan has spent the 16 months based in Scotland at his Soccer Circus business and one of his immediate targets will be Dundee United's Barry Robson. Robson is 29 and could be available in this month's transfer window. He's a hard-winning midfielder who will provide Keegan with more options in his team's floundering engine room. Keegan has also mentioned Geordie boy Michael Carrick as a future transfer target to owner Mike Ashley.

Manchester United will bve reluctant to sell the England star who slipped through Newcastle's clutches as a schoolboy when Keegan was in charge and made his name at West Ham.
    http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/01/20/kevin-keegan-wants-dimitar-berbatov-98487-20292467/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

It would be quite a coup indeed . . ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,435 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Morf wrote: »
    It would be quite a coup indeed . . ..

Coup? At 26million there is no way it could be called a coup!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Some more quotes re. Berbatov's dream to play for Newcastle
    Berba’s mum Margarita, 45, a former champion handball player, recalls how the Shearer shirt became her boy’s prized possession.

She said: “Dimitar wore this shirt all the time.

“He even used to sleep in his Newcastle shirt! It’s that special to him.

“Dimitar told me it was his dream to play for Newcastle United one day and wear the same shirt as Alan Shearer, who is my son’s hero.

“Shearer was a major inspiration for him to work hard for himself and the team. He liked the fact that Alan Shearer scored goals but was not a selfish player.

“Dimitar thinks this shirt may even have been a sign he was meant to play in England.”

His old schoolmate Mario Bekov, who has known Berbatov for 20 years, said his admiration for the former Toon ace bordered on obsession.

He said: “Dimitar never missed a Newcastle game when it was on television. And Shearer was up there with Pele as a God for him.”

Another pal, Stefan Damianov, recalled how Berbatov considered himself to be an honorary Geordie as he followed the Toon and grew up in a mining region of Blagoevgrad.

He said: “People in this part of Bulgaria like the Newcastle team especially and identify themselves with the football-mad culture of the people there and loyalty to the team.”
    http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00375/Berbatov_375683a.jpg
    I love this story :D

May as well entertain yourself someway, you won't be getting it on the pitch at Sid James' Park for a while.

May as well entertain yourself someway, you won't be getting it on the pitch at Sid James' Park for a while.
    Says the Spurs fan who knows everything?

Says the Spurs fan who knows everything?

I know it'll be a long time before Berbatov is wearing a Barcodes shirt again.

Tell you what, I'll offer you 3/1 on any stake up to €250 that Berbatov will not be joining your soap opera this window.

You know I don't actually think he will join Newcastle. You would need to offer me at least 100/1. The reason it's such a great story though is because it's mad to think arguably the best player in the league outside the top 4 would even consider joining us right now. Under normal circumstances it would never happen. But it would be so ****ing funny if it did, coz he was a Newcastle fan under KK. So random. Football is mad though.

• Advertisement

The reason it's such a great story though is because it's mad to think arguably the best player in the league outside the top 4 would even consider joining us right now.

You're right, it is mad to think that...or maybe you'd be mad to think that...

He's not thinking of joining Newcastle.

He's not thinking of joining Newcastle.
    Are you his official spokesman now? Or can you just read his thoughts? :rolleyes:

Are you his official spokesman now? Or can you just read his thoughts? :rolleyes:

I'm applying logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is there any person on this forum who actually thinks that Berbatov is going to leave Spurs for Newcastle?

ha ha ha berbatov to Newcastle?! come on Kinaldo, there is no way on gods green earth he is thinking that, all the noises he has made about wanting to leave and the things his agent have said are that he love spurs, but may have to leave in order to fulfill his ambition of winning trophies, something Newcastle are about as likely/or probably less likely to do than Spurs.

no way he'd consider Newcastle

I'm sure Keegan is ambitious enough to try him.

• Advertisement

Other rumours flying about

Shorey

Carrick

Van Buyten

Berbatov

Sol Campbell

and so on and so forth.

I hear Kaka may be open to a move to the Toon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

If Utd aren't going for Berbatov I'd love if he went to Newcastle...just so Kinaldo could gloat to the high hills!

It really would be a shocking transfer if it were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

anyone else hear Shearer on MOTD the other night, that another i didn't think possible until i heard him speak about it.

I actually think there is a chance on this happening with Berba, i dont believe a word of anyone in these days of agents and PR drumming constantly going on.

Newc have the money and always paid well (much that has annoyed me over the years) if shearer was no2 there and the offer was right ? who knows .. not anyone here anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement