Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone in this country or England feel sorry Newcastle fans, nothing more then you lot deserve for forcing Sam Allardyce out and ones before himself. I do feel sorry for the players what they must they have being thinking when they joined.

How long do you suggest Allardyce should have stayed? Playing awful football and only taking 1 point in two matches from derby? I don't particularly agree with the appointment of Keegan but something had to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Barlow07 wrote: »
    I predicted that Newcastle form would continue under Kevin Keegan, but i acutally think its getting worse, so far i cant see what changes he has made on the field to the playing side
    ( Results Business ) before you start according Newcastle fans.

I dont think anyone in this country or England feel sorry Newcastle fans, nothing more then you lot deserve for forcing Sam Allardyce out and ones before himself. I do feel sorry for the players what they must they have being thinking when they joined.

I dont...a lot of them had good offers elsewhere but they went to newcastle for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Another dismal performance against Villa. Why Viduka was on the bench I'll never know. I hate to say it but there is still a strong chance we could get relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

isnt your next game Utd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Mr Alan wrote: »
    isnt your next game Utd?

Newcastle's next three:

Man Utd h
    Blackburn h
    Liverpool a.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

tough run alright ... just highlights more the failure to capitalise on earlier ("easier") games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

man utd coming off a loss against city, going into a game vs newcastle, they will be out for blood and newcastles defence will only oblige im sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

smog wrote: »
    tough run alright ... just highlights more the failure to capitalise on earlier ("easier") games

I really hope 1 point from 6 against Derby doesn't come back to haunt us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Coming from a Man United fan, I think yous might nick a point against us!
    I can see Newcastle rising to the occasion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I would love it if we beat yous..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

SaxoDuff wrote: »
    I would love it if we beat yous..

Nice. Wonder what the odds are for Newcastle to win 5-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

CHARTER UPDATE

Regarding Superthreads

Please read and be familiar everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nice. Wonder what the odds are for Newcastle to win 5-0.

Well paddy power will give you 500-1 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Chris Hughton appointed first team coach at Newcastle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Currently 4-1 to Man U.

So, will Keegan get to finish out the season?

<edit> make that 5-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

In all fairness, Notts Forest were much more succesful than that :P Blackburn I think is write off, relegation can be saved easily by beating Brum and Fulham.

There is no such team as Notts Forest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

There is no such team as Notts Forest.
    Nor is there such a team as "ManU" or "Boro". Nit picky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Scientist, Nottingham Forest have won the European cup twice, how many times have Newcastle won it? not sure who the Newcastle situation is comparable to, but i wouldnt use Nottingham Forest as the example, they fell from higher than you've ever nearly reached.

Blackburn next. Then Liverpool. Things really look bad.

The way you guys have been playing i'd expect both Fulham and Brum to get at least a point off ye in each game tbh.

I agree, let's get a poll going about who wants PSI perm banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If the newcastle defence doesnt tighten up they will be relegated, simple as, and i dont blame anyone other then the chairmen, Shepherd and Ashley, two jokes

bringing Keegan back was a joke, its not fair to Keegan himself to expect him to turn that team around, they are simply not good enough, if they can survive this season then maybe with a few good signings they could get a mid table finish next season,but unless they beat the teams below them they are going down, i dont think they have the mettle for a relegation dog fight running through the team, a few players could do it ok but i dont think they have it at the back, is Given out for 6 weeks? if he is thats an absolute disaster for ye

if i was a geordie fan id be ****tin myself right now about the prospect of championship football next season, unless the goals start coming and the performances improve, especially at the back, the only thing that might save them is the other teams at the bottom are probably worse.just...

Savman wrote: »
    Nor is there such a team as "ManU" or "Boro". Nit picky.

Not really a fair analogy.

Notts is a references to nottinghamshire. As in Nottinghamshire County (Notts County)

Forest are in Nottingham, hence the abbreviation is Nottm Forest.

Referring to Nottingham Forest as Notts is analagous to referring to Liverpool FC as Merseyside FC or in the context of this thread, Newcastle as Tyne and Wear United.

As for the comparison, gimme a break, Forest may well be in the premiership again before Newcastle win anything. At least Forest have some comparatively recent success with the League Cup in '89 and '90..

Then again, Newcastle did romp to intertoto cup glory in '06 :p

I'm having a rivalry discussion in the soccer forum, I thought I'd have to wait at least another 4 years for this.

The Scientist, if you don't like being corrected, then don't make stupid mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ahem, can we have Newcastle Utd back please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is it that time of the month for PSI Glas Vagas?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Things are looking rocky at the moment, but I really feel that the press and non-toon fans are stirring it.

I was at the game against UTD. and even after the 4th goal, the fans were still positive, no booing, no Keegan out, or anything of that sort. Yet, the papers will make out as if there is already anti-keegan sentiments brewing on Tyneside. Utter Boll0x.

(Whilst he wasn't my first choice as Sam's replacement) Keegan has inherited a team full of crock buys that Allardyce made, and a team that (under Allardyce) dropped a rake of points against Derby, Reading, and Wigan. I still think big Sam should have been given more time, but, the present position that the club occupies is a result of Allardyce's doings and not Keegan's. Look at the sides we have had to face since he came back. The only one where we should have taken more points is Bolton, and I attribute our failings there to a lack of a threat upfront (again a result of Allardyces signings of Smith and Viduka)

Keegan's test only really begins when we start playing the sides in an around us, and I think we are strong enough to get through those games with enough points to survive.

There is a hell of alot of deadwood at the club that needs to be shipped out: Viduka, Smith, Barton, Carr, Butt, the guts of the defence, and possibly even players such as Zog and Owen if they don't want to play us.

If, and this is a big if, we make the right signings, I can see the club being restored to where Robson had it, in 2-3 seasons time. That's what we have to aim for.

Oh yeah, someone said Given's absence will be a disaster. No so in my books. Harper is a great keeper and has always been excellent when Shay has been injured. As a plus, he can kick a ball properly. Whenever I have seen the Toon live, Shay has always looked very ropey when kicking back passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

All that you need to beat Given is to hit a shot on target from long range.

• Advertisement

the present position that the club occupies is a result of Allardyce's doings and not Keegan's.

In the last 5 matches, you've gotten 2 points. This is Keegans doing. He had the same squad as Big Sam, and Big Sam did better.

That 2 points masks alot. (Also, I wouldn't consider the Derby results, losing to Wigan and Reading, getting hammered by Pompey 4-1 amongst others as better)

One of those games was against Arsenal, who have been spectacular this season upfront, and another was against United, who are equally potent upfront.

Another of those games was against an Aston Villa side at Villa park that is presently pushing for a champions league spot.

Then we had a Middlesbrough nick a goal at the death form that barge monster Robert Huth.

Don't get me wrong, we have looked absolutely lacklustre in those performances but I attribute that to 'drop the head' mercerises that Keegan presently has at his disposal.

The likes of Carr, Smith, Barton, and Butt make me fume to watch. They play for themselves and nothing else. They constantly give acres of possession away, and commit petty and reckless fouls, without ever taking the team into consideration. And once we have given a goal or two away (usually as a result of these players), they don't want to be on the pitch any more. Examples of this are Carr's outrageous handball against Villa, Smith getting his umpteenth red car at Old Trafford, and Barton......just being Barton usually.

Unfortunately, Keegan has few other options at present, so these cretins still manage to get a game. All to often in the last few years Newcastle have signed has beens or money mercenaries (Carr, Babyaro, Viduka, Moore, Butt, etc.) thinking they'll provide a quick fix. This has been the disastrous transfer policy which has seen us slide to where we are now.

Keegan wants to put an end to this. He said that he wasn't going to make signings in January just for the sake of it, which is an attitude that hasn't been seen for donkeys years in the club.

I truly believe that, if (which we should) make it to the summer still in the PL, then these players will be shipped out, and some proper long term signings will be made. I can't remember any of Keegan's signings, when he was here last time, being washed up money mercenaries. He signed alot of quality, and few duds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Not really a fair analogy.

Notts is a references to nottinghamshire. As in Nottinghamshire County (Notts County)

Forest are in Nottingham, hence the abbreviation is Nottm Forest.
    Well my Granda supported them for 70 odd years, and he called them Notts Forest. Can't believe this is what soccer discussion has descended to.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Savman wrote: »
    Well my Granda supported them for 70 odd years, and he called them Notts Forest. Can't believe this is what soccer discussion has descended to.:eek:

A new low . . . .

I can't see how not buying anyone in January and risking relegation is a good move for Kev. I hope i'm proved wrong.

Morf wrote: »
    I can't see how not buying anyone in January and risking relegation is a good move for Kev. I hope i'm proved wrong.

Because he couldn't get anyone decent in during the short space of time had. He tried to get Woodgate (why we didn't plum or him when he first went to Boro I never know) but couldn't attract him. We need some proper long term talent, the type that is never available in January.

Buying for the sake of buying is never really the answer (and a transfer policy which has crippled us over the last 5 years) There were very few players available that are of the quality Newcastle need. Defoe and Woodgate are the only ones who'd cut the mustard that were available and it would be hard to justify Defoe when we have Owen and a returning Martins. The defence and centre of the park is where we need replacing, and we just were never going to be able to get the quality we needed in those positions in January.

As it stands, the squad is well equipped to fight off relegation. There are alot of crappy players presently in the squad (who are holding us down if we want to move up the table) but as a whole, they are certainly capable of staying up when you compare them to the teams below.

Derby presently have 9 points, so its basically a given that they're gone. That means 2 places are left. Wigan, Sunderland, Bolton, Birmingham, Reading and Fulham all lay below Newcastle, and Boro sit above us by a point. Out of those 8 other teams, I can't see us finishing 18th or 19th.

If we can stop the rot in the next 2 games (Blackburn and Pool) by simply putting on good performances and conceding as few as possible, maybe even picking up a point or two, then confidence wise, the team should be in good shape to take serious points against Birmingham, Reading and Fulham over the coming month. Those are the 3 games that will be crucial to us. If we take 9 points form them, then we're all but home and dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

As it stands, the squad is well equipped to fight off relegation. There are alot of crappy players presently in the squad (who are holding us down if we want to move up the table) but as a whole, they are certainly capable of staying up when you compare them to the teams below.

too good to go down eh? that old chestnut.

not sure who but someone here pointed to 20-1 newcastle being relegated when keegan took over, every week that bet looks a goldmine.

kdjac

• Advertisement

sigh

I was waiting for someone to bring up Leeds. They are the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. There is a reason Leeds is talked up, its because it had never happened before, and is never likely to happen again. Quality does pull through. That's why every season teams with half decent squads stay up, and does without don't. Also, the Leeds squad that went down was a shadow of the squad that had triumped under O'Leary, there were alot of off the field problems to contributed to their plight.

Is it probable that a minnow will win the Euros because Greece did it 4 years ago, no (There are far too many other teams who stand a much better chance based on their squad), but like most things in life, it's possible. Thus, whilst its possible Newcastle could be relegated, its highly improbable.

I love the way people who don't support Newcastle seem to have a ship on their shoulder when it comes to Keegan, what exactly has he done to piss off you or your team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

sigh

I was waiting for someone to bring up Leeds. They are the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. There is a reason Leeds is talked up, its because it had never happened before, and is never likely to happen again. Quality does pull through. That's why every season teams with half decent squads stay up, and does without don't. Also, the Leeds squad that went down was a shadow of the squad that had triumped under O'Leary, there were alot of off the field problems to contributed to their plight.

Is it probable that a minnow will win the Euros because Greece did it 4 years ago, no (There are far too many other teams who stand a much better chance based on their squad), but like most things in life, it's possible. Thus, whilst its possible Newcastle could be relegated, its highly improbable.

I love the way people who don't support Newcastle seem to have a ship on their shoulder when it comes to Keegan, what exactly has he done to piss off you or your team?

They are proof of the rule, they were **** for an entire season and went down. Newcastle following that theory quite well.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No-one's too good to go down but in all honesty the last two relegation places are between Fulham, Wigan, S********d, and Birmingham. Appalling season, but not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

West Ham went down with a better squad than Newcastle have at the minute. Blackburn went down despite spending a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

No-one's too good to go down but in all honesty the last two relegation places are between Fulham, Wigan, S********d, and Birmingham. Appalling season, but not that bad.

I see Desf won his campain to make S********d a rude word.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    West Ham went down with a better squad than Newcastle have at the minute. Blackburn went down despite spending a lot of money.

That was as much to do with the competition around West Ham at the time more than anything else. Any other season and they would have stayed up. The team they went down with wasn't all that either. By that stage they ahd lost Fat Frank and Rio Grande. The only real talent they had in that team was Joe Cole.

I wouldn't say Blackburn spent alot of money by any stretch of the imagination. The only bit of decent money they spent then was on Davies, and a fool could tell you he wasn't worth £7.5 million. They team they were relegated with that season was very meh, probbaly not one of the worst 3 teams that season, but the side they went down with is ell below what Newcastle's is now.

So many of Newcastles players are all living on past reputations.

Duff hasn't been anywhere near his old standerds in 2 years.
    Owen hasn't played well since leaving Madrid.
    Smith hasn't played well since being moved to midfield at United.
    Butt is a far cry from the player he used to be.
    Barton while talented, is about to go to jail and can't go to lots of away games.
    Viduka is nowhere near where he used to be.

They are a team full of has-beens, and while some have been down to injuries, they really aren't that much better than the West Ham side that went down, except the players they have used to be good.

PHB wrote: »
    So many of Newcastles players are all living on past reputations.

Duff hasn't been anywhere near his old standerds in 2 years.
    Owen hasn't played well since leaving Madrid.
    Smith hasn't played well since being moved to midfield at United.
    Butt is a far cry from the player he used to be.
    Barton while talented, is about to go to jail and can't go to lots of away games.
    Viduka is nowhere near where he used to be.

They are a team full of has-beens, and while some have been down to injuries, they really aren't that much better than the West Ham side that went down, except the players they have used to be good.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to say our team is full of shortcomings and money men has beens, but I would still rate us considerably above the 8 teams that presently sit below us.

Perhaps I am wrong when comparing them with the Hammers side that went down, but that's just subjective nit picking really.

Ultimately, our squad is full of deadwood for a club that has spent well above most others over the last 5 years. These has beens and useless trouble makers need to be shipped out in the summer, but importantly, replaced with, proper balanced, long term talent (situations where we replace Boumsong with Moore, Moore with Roesenhal need to be eradicated). A complete overhaul of the squad will be needed.

However, what we presently have at our disposal should be enough to see us through (and comfortably at that. I don't foresee any need for us to be fighting for survival on the last day)

Maybe this season will be a blessing in disguise. Its been said that the Geordie fans expect success overnight and have far too high expectations for their club. If this is so, then maybe a season where we stave off relegation will put things in perspective, and give the club as a whole a bit of breathing space to evolve properly over 3 or 4 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The only real talent they had in that team was Joe Cole.

Carrick, Defoe, Kanoute and Di Canio all decent players tbf

Just listening to Le Tis covering the game on Soccer Saturday, sounds like the boys are digging in and putting in a good performance this week, but it is worrying me how many times he has said Owen has been put through on goal and failed to score.

Howay the Toon!!!

Bollox

what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what?

blackburn won 1-0, late darbyshire winner.

Aww, sick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Relegation battle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement