Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Relegation battle?
    For sure, only 3 points off the dropzone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Relegation battle?
    Without a doubt although I dont think they will be relegated. By all accounts Ive heard they should have won today. Still Liverpool away and birmingham away as the next two fixtures arnt going to be easy places to go for King Kev to pick up his first win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DesF wrote: »
    For sure, only 3 points off the dropzone.

It's not quite as good as Sundireland being down there but it's a good second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

We were in a relegation battle 2 weeks ago, let alone today.

Gutted with result as it genuinely sounded like we deserved to win let alone grab a point.

However, I posted a few days ago that the most important thing to come from the Blackburn and Liverpool games was to put a halt to conceding 3, 4, 5 goals a game, and churn out a relatively good performance that might restore some confidence in the team, so that we head into the games against Birmingham, Fulham and Reading with a bit of fight in us. These are our make or break games, as well as the derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

We seriously need to get some points together, the only thing that is keeping us out of the relegation zone is the total inability of the teams down there to get points also.

Liverpool away next! That should help the lads confidence....NOT!

Why can't we score a goal?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

newcastle + kevin keegan = absolute joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

scruff321 wrote: »
    newcastle = absolute joke

Fixed, and im a newcastle fan. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

9-2 to be Relegated on Paddy Power.
    Newcastle playing championship football..... what a disaster that would be.

3 pts seperate Toon(28), Wigan(27), Sunderland(27), Brum(26), Bolton(25), Reading(25)

I expect Fulham to improve aswell so Newcastle are in the thick of it and arguably playing the worst of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I still think it's Newcastles choice. If they decide to play well, they will beat Fulham relatively easily. There's no reason even still why Newcastle can't stay up. If anything, Blackburn was a decent performance. If they play well against Liverpool, then they are set up fo a decent performance against Fulham, and if the players they have play well, Fulham won't be able to stop them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

PHB wrote: »
    I still think it's Newcastles choice. If they decide to play well, they will beat Fulham relatively easily. There's no reason even still why Newcastle can't stay up. If anything, Blackburn was a decent performance. If they play well against Liverpool, then they are set up fo a decent performance against Fulham, and if the players they have play well, Fulham won't be able to stop them

If they play like they've been playing for the past 6 months Fulham could stuff them, as much as Utd strolled past them yesterday they were no way near the pushovers the Toon were.
    I havnt seen a team that poor in a long time.

United just beat Fulham 3-0 at a canter, without 3/4 of their top players. If Ronaldo and Rooney had started, Fulham might easily have concedded more than Newcastle. Nonetheless, the games against United aren't what matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I can see Newcastle staying up as there's enough poor teams down there that it's difficult to see them finishing in the bottom 3. Either way it's been a car crash of a season and Keegan will have a busy Summer that's for sure.

Looks like Derby and Fulham plus one from Reading,Wigan,Sunderland.

Im a Liverpool fan but have a big soft spot for Newcastle as my best mate is a fanatic with two season tickets so I go over 4-5 times a year. Im worried for them. Their remaining fixtures especially the ones this month are very very hard.

Sat Mar 08 2008 Liverpool (A) 15:00 - We are playing well so it will be very hard.
    Mon Mar 17 2008 Birmingham City (A) 20:00 - Playing well, I cant see a win here.
    Sat Mar 22 2008 Fulham (H) 15:00 - Big one for them and should pick up a win.
    Sun Mar 30 2008 Tottenham Hotspur (A) 15:00 - Spurs dont have much to play for so might pick up something.
    Sat Apr 05 2008 Reading (H) 15:00 - Huge game and need a win
    Sat Apr 12 2008 Portsmouth (A) 15:00 - Dogged side & good at home so hard game.
    Sat Apr 19 2008 Sunderland (H) 15:00 - Biggest game of the lot for Newcastle! Should win(Im going to this :) )
    Sat Apr 26 2008 West Ham United (A) 15:00 - Hard game, WH are a different team weekly & its too hard to predict!
    Sat May 03 2008 Chelsea (H) 15:00 - If Chelsea are still in the title race I can only see them winning
    Sun May 11 2008 Everton (A) - Everton are fighting out for 4th sport and probably will be at this stage so very hard.

I've said that they'll gain 10 points out of these remaining fixtures bringing their total to 38. Gonna be tight. Best of luck Newcastle

Good to see Taylor has signed the contract.

Anyone know anything about Diatta, seems decent business that we got him on a free and hat he has only been given a contract till the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Half time

Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle

Not looking good for us. Martins should have started from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Disaster!

If we don't pick up some points really soon, we are gone.

Reading done very well today. The only reason we are not in the relegation zone yet is that the teams in the relegation zone ore just playing so badly.

Martins played well when he came on. Our defence looks totally and utterly clueless. Something has got to give.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I think we are goners. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I can see Newcastle picking up 9 maybe 10 points from the rest of their fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I can see Newcastle staying up but that team is just rotten

You would need to replace the majority of that squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

How bad must given feel, if he had gone to any of the other clubs that were after him (some of whom would still take him I'd say) he would have finished his career with some silverware, not saying ye will never win anything again but looking at that team and the shambolic setup ye have in the backroom I do not see it coming soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Newky were playing OK until the first goal went in, 2-0 at half time and the game was over.

Remaining fixtures:

Mon Mar 17 2008 Birmingham City (A)
    Sat Mar 22 2008 Fulham (H)
    Sun Mar 30 2008 Tottenham Hotspur (A)
    Sat Apr 05 2008 Reading (H)
    Sat Apr 12 2008 Portsmouth (A)
    Sat Apr 19 2008 Sunderland (H)
    Sat Apr 26 2008 West Ham United (A)
    Sat May 03 2008 Chelsea (H)
    Sun May 11 2008 Everton (A)

I honestly can't see anymore than 7 points from those fixtures...

I can't see any more than 2 points from these fixtures:

Sun Mar 30 2008 Tottenham Hotspur (A)
    Sat Apr 12 2008 Portsmouth (A)
    Sat Apr 26 2008 West Ham United (A)
    Sat May 03 2008 Chelsea (H)
    Sun May 11 2008 Everton (A)

I can see Newcastle getting from 0-12 points from

Those 4 games will decide their fate to be honest.

PHB wrote: »

Those 4 games will decide their fate to be honest.

OFT

These are the games that will decide our fate (although points from ithers will definitley help). I feel that this season the cut off mark will be 37 points and I think we still should bee able to get that with what we had at our disposal.

Today's game was gut wrenching to watch. Until the first goal went in we were doing ok. fair enough, the bulk of play was in our half, but we were restricting Liverpool to pot shots, and I will always have confidence in Given and Harper at stopping those. However, Enrique was utter billix totally at fault for our first and third goal.

The only positive to take form today was Martins. Thought he looked really hungry (which we've been lacking throughout) and seem to rattle Liverpool's defence, which is impressive considering its the tidiest in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Just looking at the table, if the teams below Newcastle win their game in hand, Newcastle will be in the bottom three. Can't see that happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Relegation becoming a real possibility. 56 goals conceded, just 1 better than Derby.

I had thought that Newcastle would be good enough to stay up but on current form I'm not so sure. They are playing like a team with absolutely no confidence and it's hard to see who they're going to beat. The 3 home games against Fulham Sunderland and Reading are must-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

really didn't help that Wigan picked up a point yesterday :(
    nervy times ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I just don't understand why Martins wasn't starting against Liverpool. Smith was anchored in a defensive midfielder role for most of the game.
    Shocking defense.
    Our next game against Birmingham is a must win.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I like Newcastle but I think they will be lucky to beat the drop simply because they lost their Alan Shearer. While I like some of the players they are all mercenaries. They have nobody like Terry and Lamps are for Chelsea, Keane and King are for Spurs. Nobody to really inspire them to pick up when the **** hit the fan. I could stand corrected on this but is it not Michael Owen captaining them. The player who only went there because nobody else would have him for the money he wanted and the only thing thats lower than his goal tally is his appearences, the only person who might do that for them is Alan Smith but it hasn't happened yet. If they survive they might come good next year

• Advertisement

the only person who might do that for them is Alan Smith but it hasn't happened yet.

I can assure you as A Toon fan it won't be him, the chap is utter muck. Martins looked good when he came on and he could be the one to get us out of this rut. He looked hungry and probably wants to prove his worth (as if he should have to). If he could bang in a few, it might inspire Mickey Owen to get the finger out.

Although, in fairness, I think Owen's lack of form is because he is isolated and stranded up front. For the last 5/5 games he is our only outlet, and teams know that. That has meant that e is always easily taken car of by trowing extra men on him, sure who else do they have to worry about form us going forward. However, Oba could change that. With both blistering forward in different directions, defences of the like of Fulham's and Reading' may crumble (much like ours has all season :( )

Really hope Milner won't miss too many games. he's been the only bit of hope this season, and the only player who's been fighting for the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I can assure you as A Toon fan it won't be him, the chap is utter muck. Martins looked good when he came on and he could be the one to get us out of this rut. He looked hungry and probably wants to prove his worth (as if he should have to). If he could bang in a few, it might inspire Mickey Owen to get the finger out.

Although, in fairness, I think Owen's lack of form is because he is isolated and stranded up front. For the last 5/5 games he is our only outlet, and teams know that. That has meant that e is always easily taken car of by trowing extra men on him, sure who else do they have to worry about form us going forward. However, Oba could change that. With both blistering forward in different directions, defences of the like of Fulham's and Reading' may crumble (much like ours has all season :( )

Really hope Milner won't miss too many games. he's been the only bit of hope this season, and the only player who's been fighting for the cause.

Sorry...your right I stand corrected. Forgot about Milner and while I will give some sympathy to the lone Owen, are you telling me that the Owen of 5 years ago won't have scored AT LEAST one of those chances against Blackburn the other week yet I read on sky sports today that he says he is still the same player he was. Rubbish. He is only 28 so has the potential to be that player again but right now...he ain't.

Sorry...your right I stand corrected. Forgot about Milner and while I will give some sympathy to the lone Owen, are you telling me that the Owen of 5 years ago won't have scored AT LEAST one of those chances against Blackburn the other week yet I read on sky sports today that he says he is still the same player he was. Rubbish. He is only 28 so has the potential to be that player again but right now...he ain't.

He should have put a few away against Blackburn, but I put that down to a Brad Friedel having a great day and Owen having a bad one. Even in his Pool days he had bad days (he use to go on dry runs if I remember), so it can happen, but he was never so isolated in attack. Over the last 6 games he's up there on his own, backed up against 4 odd defenders, with only Milner providing any support. Duff has done sweet FA for god knows how lon for us.

Just when you thought Keegan couldn't lose the plot anymore he comes out with this gem.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3549953.ece
    Kevin Keegan: Mark Viduka can be Newcastle United's Fernando Torres

Kevin Keegan says that Mark Viduka can provide his Newcastle United team with the spark they have lacked in recent weeks. Fitness issues have restricted the Australia striker to one substitute appearance since Keegan’s return to St James’ Park in January, but he is expected to be involved in the Barclays Premier League match away to Birmingham City on Monday.

“If he’d been fit and available, Mark is the kind of player you want on your teamsheet every week,” Keegan said. “You always want your best players available, but forwards who can score you goals and win you matches and who have experience, you need them especially. If we can have a fit Mark Viduka for the last nine games, that’ll be a huge bonus for us.”

Keegan dismissed reports that Viduka’s fitness had prompted a dispute between the pair. “I get on really well with Mark and I’ve never had a bust-up with any player at this club, and that’s the truth.

“He’s got this fantastic ability to score goals in tight situations and to score goals at important times. That’s what wins you football matches. You saw Fernando Torres the other night score a goal [for Liverpool] when a lot of players would have taken another touch, and Mark comes into that category, too. He doesn’t need a lot of space, he can do the unexpected.”

Newcastle are hoping to sign Sam Vokes, the 18-year-old Bournemouth striker, who is also being pursued by Aston Villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Christ. If I ever see Viduka score a goal that's a fifth as good as the average Torres effort, I will personally pay his wages for that week.

Shudder, I hate Viduka, he personifies everything that is wrong with our club. Bad attitude, big wage packet, and no interest in fighting for the team and putting in a shift our two.

In fairness to Keegan, he has to work with what he has for these final 10 games and he's gonna fill these plonkers heads with whatever their ego's require. He's not gonna come out and say Viduka can be my Dirk Kuyt.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

plus im sure if he wishes to sell some of these players he not going to publicly call them lazy good for nothing pay packet chasers, but rather big them up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Gonna need a big game tomorrow. Their recent record isn't much better than our own. Hopefully a first win there.

Atleast there's always an upside... We still have our tapes of the first time Keegan was in control. HOWAY THE LADS.

Great stuff boys. Would have been nice to take all 3 (which we were pushing for second half) but this is a decent point. Takes two off Brum, and stops the rot.

Most importantly though, the performance of the second half can hopefully inspire the players in showing them what they can do when everyone mucks in.

Howay the lads!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Happy enough, although I was quietly confident before the game that we would win, and am disapointed we didn't after that second half performance.

KK is rightly (imo) getting slated on the Toon forums for taking off Martins. I couldn't believe it. He's the only player we have that can create opportunities for himself and others and he never stops running. He seemed to have a bit of confidence tonight as well.

I actually rate Viduka despite his laziness, but he shouldn't have stayed on. At least Smith was confined to the bench.

I'm confident we will beat Fulham at SJP on Saturday. We simply have to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hmmmm... Keegan didn't come off too well. some good individual performances but the shape of the team was just wrong, and it was quite apparent. the team was playing so narrow it just played into Brum's hands. a bit of width and they would have been completely at odds... and talking Martins off was daft. By far he looked the player most likely to create something.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Happy enough, although I was quietly confident before the game that we would win, and am disapointed we didn't after that second half performance.

KK is rightly (imo) getting slated on the Toon forums for taking off Martins. I couldn't believe it. He's the only player we have that can create opportunities for himself and others and he never stops running. He seemed to have a bit of confidence tonight as well.

I actually rate Viduka despite his laziness, but he shouldn't have stayed on. At least Smith was confined to the bench.

I'm confident we will beat Fulham at SJP on Saturday. We simply have to!

Yeah I think Viduka coming off instead of Martins would have made more sense, but I guess he wants him to get as many minutes under his belt and match fit as quickly as possible.

I do think though that bringing on the Zog was the right thing to do bearing in mind the Blackburn sucker punch (losing that game would have taken all the confidence, the second half built, away from the boys). Zog will still bomb forward, but he's an excellent at tracking back and has a natural defensive side to him that Viduka or Martins don't.

There was a positive to Martins coming off. Some might criticise his strop, but I feel it shows great hunger and desire to wear the black and white and is a good standard to set for the other players for the remaining games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

They were terrible. I can't think of any positives besides Butt's decent work-rate. If they go down they will deserve to go down and they'll receive very little sympathy. The players aren't playing for each other, the manager or the club. Perhaps relegation would teach Kev that he can't manage a team when its clear he's lost interest in football and that Ashley can run a business but has no idea how to run a football club.

I always did wonder why there was so much scorn towards Newcastle but its apparent the fans and myself included do have ideas above their station. It's a real job to gut and rebuild the team and i don't think a) Kev has the will or the vision to do it b) Ashley has the patience and the foresight to get a manager to achieve success.

I really hope i'm wrong. Newcastle brought me a lot of joy over the years but its really hard to maintain an interest in a club that are so mis-managed in every sense. Until things change i'll be watching Arsenal games for the hope of "good football".

Morf wrote: »
    They were terrible. I can't think of any positives besides Butt's decent work-rate. If they go down they will deserve to go down and they'll receive very little sympathy. The players aren't playing for each other, the manager or the club. Perhaps relegation would teach Kev that he can't manage a team when its clear he's lost interest in football and that Ashley can run a business but has no idea how to run a football club.

I always did wonder why there was so much scorn towards Newcastle but its apparent the fans and myself included do have ideas above their station. It's a real job to gut and rebuild the team and i don't think a) Kev has the will or the vision to do it b) Ashley has the patience and the foresight to get a manager to achieve success.

I really hope i'm wrong. Newcastle brought me a lot of joy over the years but its really hard to maintain an interest in a club that are so mis-managed in every sense. Until things change i'll be watching Arsenal games for the hope of "good football".

Jog on soft lad, your type's not needed in the Toon Army.

A proper 'fan' sticks with his club through thick and thin, not just when the entertaining football is flowing.

What happens if Arsenal stop playing good football? Jump on to another band wagon, United maybe? Or maybe Newcastle will be back playing entertaining football and we will be graced with your presence as a fan again. :rolleyes:

:pac::pac::pac:

hmmmm... Keegan didn't come off too well. some good individual performances but the shape of the team was just wrong, and it was quite apparent.

Benching Smith, starting with 3 up front, finally getting an engine going in the middle of the park this season, and picking up the lads at half time and getting a much better second half out of them...

That'll do for me. Some people expect miracles over night, but Tonight's performance was Keegan turning the corner (realistically this was never going to happen at Arsenal, United, Villa, 'Pool), and I think he deserves a little less stick for once.
    the team was playing so narrow it just played into Brum's hands. a bit of width and they would have been completely at odds...

:confused: Milner's injured and Duffer has been muck all season. Keegan setup the team as best as he could with what he had at his disposal and I think he was forward in his thinking with the 4-3-3 setup.

Tonight was one of the first times I was optimistic and pleased when I saw the starting 11, after so much of Owen stranded on his own and smith pricking about in no mans land, all season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Jog on soft lad, your type's not needed in the Toon Army.

A proper 'fan' sticks with his club through thick and thin, not just when the entertaining football is flowing.

What happens if Arsenal stop playing good football? Jump on to another band wagon, United maybe? Or maybe Newcastle will be back playing entertaining football and we will be graced with your presence as a fan again. :rolleyes:

:pac::pac::pac:
    Indeed. I can't decide which is more embarrassing; our current league position / goal difference, or being associated with 'fans' like Morf...

kinaldo wrote: »
    Indeed. I can't decide which is more embarrassing; our current league position / goal difference, or being associated with 'fans' like Morf...

I await the case for the defence with much interest. He must have supported Liverpool in the 80s as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I keep being foiled in attempts to reply.

It boils down to the fact that i don't care what common practices of following a football club are, I'm not a sheep. I'll watch them when i feel like and ignore them when i don't but i don't claim to support anyone else.

I supported Norwich before Newcastle, when i was about 6. I've always had a healthy distaste for liverpool.

Enough said, i'm sure my credibility is already in tatters.

Morf wrote: »
    I keep being foiled in attempts to reply.

It boils down to the fact that i don't care what common practices of following a football club are, I'm not a sheep. I'll watch them when i feel like and ignore them when i don't but i don't claim to support anyone else.

I supported Norwich before Newcastle, when i was about 6. I've always had a healthy distaste for liverpool.

Enough said, i'm sure my credibility is already in tatters.

I think you'll find that by going where the 'good football' is you are actually the very definition of a sheep.

I think you'll find that by going where the 'good football' is you are actually the very definition of a sheep.

+1 QFT

If every fan took your approach, what motivation would teams have to play well and aim to succeed? Thankfully, this is not the case, but football clubs are not a one way street. As much as a team needs its players to pull together, in many ways it needs it fans to do so even more.

Xavi would be a good man to comment on this, given City's fall from grace, when they tumbled down the divisions. The fans stuck by the club, and rallied around the team during that difficult time, irrespective of the fact that City were playing badly. Look at where City are now, on the brink of challenging for silverware for the first time in a long time. Had the fans abandoned them, in the manner you seem to advocate, I would safely say City could still be stuck in the league 1, or worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement