Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I'd heard this last night but the only media confirmation at the time was from the Sun :D so was reluctant to say anything.

Fair play to kinaldo who kept his feet on the ground at all times re. the possible transfer, I didn't for one minute think we'd snatch him from under your noses but I did feel he would go elsewhere.

Y'is pulled that one out from under our feet, but fair play. Deep down, I started to get suspicious when the whole thing went public. Wouldn't be surprised if they had been negotiating with Spurs from the very start, and went public with the Newcastle interest in order to get an extra 2-3 million.

Whilst we haven't signed what looks to be an immense prospect, at least it signals our intent, and shows that we are looking in the right directions and building with the long term in mind.

Hopefully the boys can give Newcastle Jr. a stuffing to make up for this. Howay the lads!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Y'is pulled that one out from under our feet, but fair play. Deep down, I started to get suspicious when the whole thing went public. Wouldn't be surprised if they had been negotiating with Spurs from the very start, and went public with the Newcastle interest in order to get an extra 2-3 million.

News reports a couple of weeks ago suggested he we were in Croatia to negotiate a move but I'd discounted them as the usual rumours, and always expected him to go to a CL side (Chelsea most likely)

I'm surprised you couldn't match our transfer fee offer, and certainly expect you could have topped our personal terms, so what went wrong? IMO its the chance of European football, a manager who is respected in the European game, and the bright lights of "that London" that helped swing it...we've agreed personal terms already which suggests he didn't need much persuading.

Bilic's comments during the week would also have helped.

I've a feeling that every time you come up against a side that can offer CL or UC football, a decent manager to work with, and will pay a decent wage you'll struggle to win the player's signature. With that in mind, I can see you over-spending on players that other sides aren't that interested in (would that be what happened with Viana/Boumsong?) I hate to harp on about it, but I think your best chance of sustained progress is to build along the lines of the signings I suggested a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

News reports a couple of weeks ago suggested he we were in Croatia to negotiate a move but I'd discounted them as the usual rumours, and always expected him to go to a CL side (Chelsea most likely)

I'm surprised you couldn't match our transfer fee offer, and certainly expect you could have topped our personal terms, so what went wrong? IMO its the chance of European football, a manager who is respected in the European game, and the bright lights of "that London" that helped swing it...we've agreed personal terms already which suggests he didn't need much persuading.

Bilic's comments during the week would also have helped.

I've a feeling that every time you come up against a side that can offer CL or UC football, a decent manager to work with, and will pay a decent wage you'll struggle to win the player's signature. With that in mind, I can see you over-spending on players that other sides aren't that interested in (would that be what happened with Viana/Boumsong?) I hate to harp on about it, but I think your best chance of sustained progress is to build along the lines of the signings I suggested a while back.

Well we were in the CL when we signed Viana, and he only cost £8.5m. Considering he was hailed as one of Europes new prodigies :rolleyes: that wasn't bad business.

Well we were in the CL when we signed Viana, and he only cost £8.5m. Considering he was hailed as one of Europes new prodigies :rolleyes: that wasn't bad business.

I asked the question because I wasn't aware of the blokes background before he arrived at Newcastle, does that deserve sarcasm?

The point was re. overspending on players without significant competition for the players signature.

I asked the question because I wasn't aware of the blokes background before he arrived at Newcastle, does that deserve sarcasm?

The point was re. overspending on players without significant competition for the players signature.

Please point out where the sarcasm was directed at you. I was throwing the eyes for the assessment of Vianas potential at the time. Relax.

• Advertisement

Please point out where the sarcasm was directed at you. I was throwing the eyes for the assessment of Vianas potential at the time. Relax.

Fair enough, my bad.

European football probably did swing it, but I wouldn't agree wth you vis a vis the manage. Keegan has proven time after time that he is a great manager at attracting players, particularly attacking ones, as they know that he'll play atype of football that gets the best out of them.

1-0 West Ham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Fair play to kinaldo who kept his feet on the ground at all times re. the possible transfer, I didn't for one minute think we'd snatch him from under your noses but I did feel he would go elsewhere.
    Once bitten, twice shy. I learnt my lesson after jumping the gun with Woodgate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ouch, well sickened about Modric going to Spurs.....Ah well shít happens i suppose.

• Advertisement

I notice the forgotten man, Javier Saviola, has scored for Real Madrid tonight. I wonder if Keegan has taken notice...

Anyone else reckon he'd be a good signing / Owen replacement?

According to SSN tonight Richard Dunne could be on his way to Toon...
    SkySportsNews understands that Newcastle have enquiried about Manchester Citys Richard Dunne. The defender only has on year remaining on his City Contract at the end of the season and is yet to sign a new deal. The deal is expect to go ahead for a 'nominal fee' in the summer.
    Not sure about that "expected" bit. Quote taken from a Man City forum though. It would be some coup if we get him. Man City's most important player imo.

kinaldo wrote: »
    According to SSN tonight Richard Dunne could be on his way to Toon...

Not sure about that "expected" bit. Quote taken from a Man City forum though. It would be some coup if we get him. Man City's most important player imo.

Don't see why not. As well as managing him at Citey, King Kev did a few ads with Richie, so they should be on good terms.

:D

kinaldo wrote: »
    I notice the forgotten man, Javier Saviola, has scored for Real Madrid tonight. I wonder if Keegan has taken notice...

Anyone else reckon he'd be a good signing / Owen replacement?

Saviola could be good, but then again the EPL may be to physical for him. I would take a punt on him as cover for Owen and Martins (assuming we ship out Smith), but wouldn't be too optimistic if he were the man to fill St. Michael's boots.

TBH I don't want to think about not having Owen for next season. He has stepped up to the plate big time in terms of work-rate, goals, and leading the team (love those pre-match huddles).

In many ways, our biggest signing this summer would be tying Michael down to a long term contract.

Dunne seems to be on the cards .

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=magpies-line-up-bid-for-city-defender%26method=full%26objectid=20830622%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

I know its an alan oliver article but this story is everywhere at the moment!

Great signing if we get him!

Jaysus, did you learn nothing from the last week?

:p:p:p

Eh, i said IF we get him and there is a difference between saying 'in the bag' and 'seems to be on the cards'

:rolleyes:

Dude, its a forum, the whole idea of which is that people engage in discussion. When this relates to Football, much of it will be speculation and discussion of events that are yet to be decided. If we took you're attitude, this place would be empty, oh wait, where's the Spurds thread afterall :p?

Fcuk sake, I'll take me sense of humour elsewhere so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was watching SSN this morning for five mins. Rumour has it that Rangers might be interested in buying Alan Smith.

• Advertisement

Fcuk sake, I'll take me sense of humour elsewhere so...

Not sure whether you lot are thanking me for finally fcuking off or not...:p:p:p

Today's very strong rumours of Sven's departure at Citeh might just be what you need to convince Dunne to jump ship. Very fortunate timing, still you takes the breaks.

Not sure whether you lot are thanking me for finally fcuking off or not...:p:p:p

Today's very strong rumours of Sven's departure at Citeh might just be what you need to convince Dunne to jump ship. Very fortunate timing, still you takes the breaks.

It was light hearted ribbing on my part ;), sure we need you around to stir the pot :p

Yeah, this could be very lucky timing, although I think if Dunne was going to come to us, Sven staying or going may not be hugely important. What it might mean though is that if another manager comes in (a continental one perhaps) they may not like the look of the Honey Monster and be willing to let im leave Reports suggested that Sven was/is very keen to keep him.

It would be great though, as I have posted many times, he is in my top 3 wishlist for the summer.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was watching SSN this morning for five mins. Rumour has it that Rangers might be interested in buying Alan Smith.

I'd drive the chap up myself to make sure of it.

If Stoke get promoted we will get 4 million pounds for Shola :D

If Stoke get promoted we will get 4 million pounds for Shola :D
    Lol. Good old English prices. Considering what Sunderland payed for our old boy Chopra though, seems fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think Wright Philips would be a great buy for us. We're lacking a bit of pace in midfield.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I think Wright Philips would be a great buy for us. We're lacking a bit of pace in midfield.

I agree, himself and milner on the wings would be nice.

So what are people's thoughts on the game tomorrow?

I have been critical of Faye, but I think we really missed his presence and size against West Ham. I will be glad to have him back to deal with Drogba.

The way we have been playing lately and the fact that we are playing at home, a draw, or even a win :eek:, wouldn't suprise me greatly, but being a realist, you have to say it's Chelsea's game to lose. One way or another, we should give them a good run for their money though.

One thing though that worries me for tomorrow is that KK is talking about dropping Butt, because if Nicky gets another yellow (which due to his fiery style is likely) he will miss the first two games of next season. I can see the logic, and in may senses would agree, as we are building for next season at the moment. However, he has been immense for us and has been a joy to watch, and with Chelsea's strongest area being their midfield, I would take the gamble and play him.

I really hope that Chelsea start with Ballack and Lampard, therefore lumping Essien at RB. I always think Chelsea perform better when they only start with Lampard or Ballack, but not both, therefore letting either man play in his natural unrestricted role, alongside an immense grafter in Essien.

If, and it's a big if, we win tomorrow, I can't help think that all those Man Yoo fans who take great pleasure in deriding KK, will have some humble pie to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Newcastle win tomorrow, the last thing in the world any United fan will care about is Keegan and and if they did think about him, they'd probably thank him for allowing us to build up our massive goal difference lead against them :)

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    If Newcastle win tomorrow, the last thing in the world any United fan will care about is Keegan and and if they did think about him, they'd probably thank him for allowing us to build up our massive goal difference lead against them :)

Smugness like that is why it will pain me if we get a result like that.

Mort promises backing for Keegan in transfer market

Interesting quote from today's match programme from your chairman:
    "In addition to making any immediate fixes that may be required, as with everything else we have done since Mike acquired the club, we will want to acquire players that can help make Newcastle United a top team for the medium and long-term, not just for the next season or two.

"That is why we put a substantial offer in for Luka Modric, who is aged 22.

"It is frustrating that Modric, like (Jonathan) Woodgate before him, should take less money than we offered to move to the bright lights of London, and European football with Tottenham next season, but these are the sorts of difficulties that should get easier to address once we build a squad that competes at the right end of the table."

I've been saying that for a while...seems reasonable enough comment from Mort. Any thoughts?

Mort promises backing for Keegan in transfer market

Interesting quote from today's match programme from your chairman:

I've been saying that for a while...seems reasonable enough comment from Mort. Any thoughts?

Yeah he's being honest and realistic, something I appreciate. Would have hated it if he had of come out and said something like 'we didn't really want Modric anyway, glad we didn't get him'. He's letting the fans know what the score is and not treating them like fools, something the previous regime never understood.

Also, the most important bit of that piece is that he says we're building for the medium to long term,there will be no quick fix signings.

With Keegan's vision, Big Mike's money, the Wise/Jiminez setup, and Mort bringing it all together with the long term in mind, it's not a bad position to be in, and i'll be looking froward to the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not attempting to troll or point fun, but following on from a post from Xavi in the match thread - I'd be interested to hear what Newcastle fans think of players like:

Duff
    Viduka
    Butt
    Smith

at this stage. They are shadows of what they once were. Would you be happy to see them moved on over the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought Viduka and Butt had decent games.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Not attempting to troll or point fun, but following on from a post from Xavi in the match thread - I'd be interested to hear what Newcastle fans think of players like:

Duff
    Viduka
    Butt
    Smith

at this stage. They are shadows of what they once were. Would you be happy to see them moved on over the summer?

Duff and Smith could go for free if it was up to me.

Viduka and Butt have been superb for us as of late, and Viduka has shown what kind of strkier we need to bring in with the long term in mind. His ability to hold the ball up and bring Oba and Owen into play has been the key for us. Even today, Nicky Butt looked great, really got in Drogba's face with some great tackles.

I would keep Viduka and Butt certainly for next season, but would ease them into being squad players, much like how Makele has over the last 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

According to the BBC, Newcastle are going to try poach Zoltan Gera away from West Brom.

Really hope it doesn't happen as he's our best player.

So the big 'showdown' :D talks are presently underway. Personally I think it's a joke the way the press have jumped all over this as if Keegan is on the verge of walking/being sacked. To me, it would seem that this is a meeting between the manager, owner, and those appointed to help recruit players, about our summer targets, and how much money will be made available.

I could be wrong, but there is nothing to me which so far indicates so. I can't help but think this is another example of the southern press looking to have a go at KK again. They must have been bulling when he went on that run and silenced them, so now they are stirring any auld sh1t.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If he sacked KK, it would be a complete joke.

lordgoat wrote: »
    If he sacked KK, it would be a complete joke.

But you see this is thing. There is not a chance of that happening, yet the media are brewing rumours like that so as to put Newcastle as a club, and KK, under pressure. There is absolutely no indication he will be sacked. Yet it's the angle some of the press seem to favour taking.

I reckon part of Keegan was trying to squeeze more transfer funds out of Ashley with his 'we can't break the top four' spiel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I think Lee Ryder of the Chronicle sums up best how I feel about the whole situation. He says;
    TOON fans left wondering what's going on after "showdown" meeting announced -

So it's another unwanted twist in the history of Newcastle United.

Kevin Keegan's comments about Newcastle not making it to the top four seem to have coincided with a meeting in London village that our friends from the south have described as a "showdown".

KK has apparently been "summoned" down to London to be told in no uncertain terms not to speak his mind again!

Or at least that's what the London Press would have you believe.

All KK said today at his Press conference was: "The reason we have called the pre-match press conference a day early is because I am going to London to talk with Mike Ashley.
    "It's a good thing and I am looking forward to."

I think most Toon fans would agree that KK's comments after Chelsea were fair and nobody really expected to be challenging for a Champions League place in 12 months or indeed 24 months time.

Yet with Eastenders not enough to keep those down south entertained, United have become embroiled in another soap opera by the boys who just love their jellied eels.

Let's be honest, the meeting could still prove to be about transfers.

But whatever happens Dennis Wise, Mike Ashley and the Messiah - who has turned a club heading for the Championship into free flowing attacking machine in the last few weeks without any new faces or money - will sit around a table and have a nice chat about the future.

Yeah, the last two games have been a good thing, I think. It shows that there is still much work to do for next season.

It has been a rough season aright, but in many ways we needed a season like this to give the club some perspective.

On the plus side, Fat Freddy is gone, Fat Sam is gone, and KK is back. It appears that we have a structure at the club now, with the long term and trophies, and not trophy players, being the goal.

This summer will be very interesting though, and it should reveal exactly what Mike Ashley has planned for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

I'd have to agree with that .. although it has been a painfull season, the trash has left out so to speak.

Now to clear off anyone else just on a money trip, and start getting some younger talent with a bit of passion.

Its hard to believe its only a year ago since i was over to watch Roeders last game of the season 'gainst Blackburn. SO much seems to have happened since.

If I was Owen and any of the big four came knocking, I would be out the gap.

Not a chance of Henry coming, and tbh, I wouldn't want him. He's what, 31 now? The biggest signing this summer will be getting Owen his new contract. After that, I'd love to see Dunne and Bentley signed, as well as a grafter for CM (in the mould of Nicky Butt), another striker to hold up the ball, and maybe a left back as cover for Enrique.

• Advertisement
Advertisement