Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Pighead wrote:
    Is there not even the slightest chance that he's being ignored because he no longer is the player he used to be? Lets be honest any time he has started he's looked distinctly ordinary. He must have played 30 or so times for Newcastle and to be honest Pighead doesn't remember to much goal action in those games.

Just a thought.
    12 starts and a handful of sub appearances I think. In that time he hasn't looked that bad considering he suffered a serious long term injury in his first game, isn't match fit, has mostly been played out of position, and hasn't been given a chance to adapt to English football. Remember how long it took Henry and Pires to make that adjustment... I refuse to believe he's suddenly become a bad player at 28 years of age, when most players are at their peek. Even if that was the case he's probably still better than what we've got - Sibierski, Rossi and Ameobi to name a few. At the very least he should be given a run in the team before being deemed a flop. Only at Newcastle... sigh

"I know I should not have done what I did at St James's Park on Saturday and I can only say sorry and apologise to our supporters.

"It was all heat-of-the-moment stuff when the passion and the pressure both boiled over...
    Full story

Hopefully that's the end of the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

So what do people think after todays game?

Luque not even on the bench! Didn't have a shot on target until the 85th minute!

Played Ameobi, who, I was under the impression required major surgery.

I'm really starting to question Roeders tactics now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Isnt Ameobi out for a while now? I heard he was going to play this game then have the surgery. Seems a bit stupid. But it is Newcastle i suppose..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

He was so ineffective yesterday it was untrue. I'd imagine he will be out for a while now yeah. Apparently the rest of the season.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=428276&CPID=8&title=Luque+makes+quit+vow&lid=&channel=Football_Home&f=rss&clid=4

Well looks like Roeder has driven Luque away!
    Barcelona touted as a possible destination, I mean if Barca think he is good enough for them he is bloody well good enough for Newcastle!!!!!

Roeder you are a fool!

evilhomer wrote:
    So what do people think after todays game?

Luque not even on the bench! Didn't have a shot on target until the 85th minute!

Played Ameobi, who, I was under the impression required major surgery.

I'm really starting to question Roeders tactics now.
    Newcastle were atrocious for 85 minutes, again, then for the remaining 5 plus 3 stoppage time they played their best football of the season. As much as I hate Dyer, he was instrumental in everything good going forward. Emre picked up his 5th booking of the season so we should get to see more of him next week at Arsenal alongside Parker. Solano was a revelation at right back. I think he used to play there for Peru but either way, Carr was so bad I think he should play there more often.

Our front two of Ameobi and Sib ahead of Rossi and Luque said a lot about Roeder, that he's happy to play long ball. Playing Ameobi was retarded though. He must have touched the ball about 3 times and was clearly injured. I'd be suprised if the likes of Emre aren't completely disillusioned with our style of play. I think he's a terrific little player and would look great in a team that actually plays football, like Arsenal.

Someone said to me that Roeder has sucked all the belief out of the team, so by the time it got to the 85th minute and we still weren't beaten, the players just decided fcuck it, let's go for it, and then realised it wasn't so tough after all and they could actually win the game. Dyer and Emre clicked and we had at least 5 easy chances to steal it. I still can't believe Dyer didn't pick out Milner free on the right in the last second. Oh well...

We needed a win so badly, but Roeder seems happy to pick up a point at places like Man City - "Normally a point away from home is the target, but we were so close to getting all three near the end there" is what he told Newcastle World yesterday. That sort of negative, defeatist attitude is something I absolutely can't stand. Another reason to sack Roeder. I feel sorry for Luque, not even on the bench! It would be great to see him resurrect his career at somewhere like Barca.

... just noticed that we've drawn Chelsea in the QF of the Carling Cup. Thankfully it'll be at St. James' Park which gives us some hope. Our recent record against them at SJP is pretty good actually - 4 wins in the last 4 seasons!

2005/06 won 1-0 Bramble
    2004/05 Drew 1-1 Geremi OG
    2004/05 Won 1-0 Kluivert (FAC)
    2004/05 Lost 0-2 aet (LC)
    2003/04 Won 2-1 Ameobi, Shearer
    2002/03 Won 2-1 Hasselbaink OG, Bernard

evilhomer wrote:
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?HLID=428276&CPID=8&title=Luque+makes+quit+vow&lid=&channel=Football_Home&f=rss&clid=4

Well looks like Roeder has driven Luque away!
    Barcelona touted as a possible destination, I mean if Barca think he is good enough for them he is bloody well good enough for Newcastle!!!!!

Roeder you are a fool!
    06/07:

League: 0 starts + 3 subs

Europe: 3 starts + 2 subs and 2 goals

Total: 3 starts + 5 subs and 2 goals

2005 - Present:

League: 6 starts + 10 subs and 1 goal

FAC: 1 start + 2 subs

LC: 1 start

Europe: 3 starts + 2 subs + 2 goals

Overall: 11 starts + 14 subs and 3 goals

note: 1 reserve game this season and 2 goals against Liverpool at Anfield, preceded by a good pre-season where he scored twice in friendlies... and was handed the number 7 shirt! Most of the games he played last season were under the ill fated Souness regime after being rushed back from injury.

NUFC attacking options:

Ameobi - injured, imobile, and mediocre at best striker.

Sibierski - ageing Man City reject 'utility' forward

Rossi - inexperienced and unproven 19 year old loanee

Martins - injured

Duff - out of sorts winger who never scores goals anyway

Dyer - just back from injury, averages about 1 goal in 10

Owen - injured

Luque - fully fit £9.5m Spanish international winger/striker coveted by Barcelona last year... last in the pecking order, and when he does make the bench he isn't used.

Seriously, wtf is going on!? Someone explain this to me! There is no way in this world Luque could have done worse than the 3 touches we got in 45 minutes yesterday from the injured Ameobi. We have failed to score in our last 3 league games and 2 of those teams were at home to relegation candidates, Sheffield Utd and Charlton!

I'm not saying Luque can save our season or anything, but my god he can't possibly do any worse than anyone else in the team at the moment.

If he's not going to resign can Roeder at least offer us some explanation for the apparent mismanagement of one of our most expensive assets? All we've heard from him is "Luque has done well, he's training well, he's playing for his shirt etc. etc." No justifications though.

Here's a little reminder of what this guy is capable of for the many of you who've forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kinaldo wrote:
    Duff - out of sorts winger who never scores goals anyway
    I remember in Mourinho's first season at Chelsea, they went through a period of 9 games with Duff scoring the first goal in 6 of those matches. He should be scoring a lot more than he is atm. I don't know what's his problem, hopefully it's just confidence.

"I will tell you the truth - he just wasn't brought (to Manchester) in the 18," added the United boss, who seems to have given up on the £10m Spaniard. "He is an experienced player and if you are not going to use him in the starting line-up or on the substitutes' bench, I see little point in bringing someone of his senior standing in the game."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=roeder-looks-to-window%26method=full%26objectid=18086201%26siteid=50081-name_page.html%5B/url%5D%22%20target=%22_blank

Extraordinary.

kinaldo wrote:
    "I will tell you the truth - he just wasn't brought (to Manchester) in the 18," added the United boss, who seems to have given up on the £10m Spaniard. "He is an experienced player and if you are not going to use him in the starting line-up or on the substitutes' bench, I see little point in bringing someone of his senior standing in the game."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_headline=roeder-looks-to-window%26method=full%26objectid=18086201%26siteid=50081-name_page.html%5B/url%5D%22%20target=%22_blank

Extraordinary.

I give in on him now!

No respect for the way the man is treating Luque as a professional, especially when we are so short on striking talent!

I'm now filled with dread. Anyone who saw the 56 minutes Ameobi played against Man City will find this unbelievable...
    Meanwhile, United boss Glenn Roeder has hinted Shola Ameobi, who started yesterday's game against Manchester City, might delay his hip operation for another week so he can face Arsenal on Saturday. Source
    ..but anything to keep Luque out of the team I suppose.

As nufc.com put it:
    What purpose Shola served by appearing in this game escaped us, as he looked exactly what he is - an injured player with restricted movement awaiting an operation. Frankly we'd have been better served playing Titus Bramble up front....
    Roeder should be sacked for gross mismanagement.

So what are peoples thoughts on the point at Arsenel?

I'm still not sure about Roeder tactically, but Nigel Pearson seems to be making a bit of a difference. The team seemed more organised defensively then I have seen in a while. Plenty of great blocks.

Martins didn't look anywhere near match fit yesterday. Good 90 minute run out for him.

Still no sign of Luque getting a game though :(

I only saw the last 15 minutes of the game so can't really offer much opinion.

Always disappointing not to win after leading for so long but from what I saw Arsenal were well worth a draw and we rode our luck at times. Fantastic point though. Either this will be the turning point in our season or will merely keep Roeder in the job for a few more games.

Arsenal will be kicking themselves and so they should be for not starting with Henry. Newcastle, despite out problems, still have plenty of good players and shouldn't be taken so lightly.

Interesting that we played a back four of centre backs and had no defenders on the bench. Bramble was apparently a colossus and not having Carr at rb seemed to do wonders. As for Given, magnificent as usual. Great to have him back.

The general feeling on nufc forums is that Martins had his best game for the club despite the lack of end product. He managed to hold the ball up well against formidable opposition in Toure and Gallas, and also linked very well with Dyer. I'd like to see those two up front against Celta Vigo and Pompey next week. Their pace and movement will cause all sorts of problems for weak teams, and also makes us less prone to hitting aimless / hopeful long balls - also good for the return of Emre.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but it really looks like Dyer could be the man to save our season. His impact against City last week, and Arsenal yesterday, has been quite phenomenal. He looks much more motivated these days as if to prove to everyone that he can still be the great player that 7 years ago we all thought he would become. Hopefully he can stay fit, and the reports that he's matured as a person since becoming a father are true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah but you cant forget that Arsenal are a better team than us, and they match us in every position on the park! if we played normally they would of gotten alot of goals, but what we did was close everything down and fight for everyball and we prevented them from scoring from open play which is an achievment! Roeder got the game plan correct, if we set out to try and score loads of goals, arsenal would of scored lloads for sure!

I agree about dyer he gives so much extra in attack!
    Hopefully he can stay fit!
    Now lets push on and win on sunday! its a must win game! I dont mind about the result on thursday, premiership is our first priority, lets just hope duff and moore will be back soon and that we dont pick up anymore injuries!

Only 3 fit senior defenders left for Celta Vigo tomorrow - Taylor, Bramble and Ramage.

19 year-old reserve central defender Paul Huntington could be in line for his debut or Solano could play at right back, not necessary a bad thing considering we normally have Stephen Carr there.

The club's decision to sell Boumsong and bring in zero defenders this summer now looks like pure genius.

Celta Vigo have picked up 13 points from a possible 18 away from home in La Liga this season, including becoming the first ever side to defeat Madrid under Capello at the Bernabéu in his two stints in charge.

I predict a 2-2 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

kinaldo wrote:
    Only 3 fit senior defenders left for Celta Vigo tomorrow - Taylor, Bramble and Ramage.

19 year-old reserve central defender Paul Huntington could be in line for his debut or Solano could play at right back, not necessary a bad thing considering we normally have Stephen Carr there.

The club's decision to sell Boumsong and bring in zero defenders this summer now looks like pure genius.

Celta Vigo have picked up 13 points from a possible 18 away from home in La Liga this season, including becoming the first ever side to defeat Madrid under Capello at the Bernabéu in his two stints in charge.

I predict a 2-2 draw.
    from your comment a 2-2 draw is a bit optimistic! and even if we have dyer playing on his own at the back im still glad we got rid of boumsong. wouldnt mind solano right back at all. he has great composure on and usage of the ball.

Didn't we bring back Olivier Bernard :p

Hasn't played a minute since coming back to the club. Did anyone actually do a medical on the guy?

Luque should start tonight. I can't see him risk any players tonight, not with our league position being so bad and a crucial game against pompey at the weekend.

Our squad really is too small to cope with the number of games we are playing. we need to get some players in in January. I'm glad to see we have been linked with Klass van Huntelar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sure would be handy if Huntelaar would join Newcastle, but if he has any sense he'll run a mile. Anyway Lyon are supposed to be after him too so I don't think it's too hard to see where he might choose to go...

No doubt Shepherd will find some striker that's washed up, too old and/or overpaid at his current club and take him off their hands..

• Advertisement

Team to face Celta Vigo tonight

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Shay Given, Nobby Solano, Titus Bramble, Steven Taylor, Peter Ramage, James Milner, Emre, Nicky Butt, Charles N'Zogbia, Albert Luque, Antoine Sibierski
    Subs: Steve Harper, Paul Huntington, Scott Parker, Obafemi Martins, David Edgar, Andy Carroll, James Troisi

Good to see Luque in the starting line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

It looks like Glen is trying to offload luque to the spanish league this christmas! Hope he plays well and proves us wrong!

I missed all the paper talk today re. Luque. Encouraging words from both sides.

Solano:
    For him, the situation has been difficult, but he would love to do well at this club. He's got a great spirit, he tries to smile every morning.

"He's used to playing every week in Spain. He was in the Spanish squad, a player at this level will always feel frustrated if he's not involved.

"Part of his life has felt very low, but he will have another opportunity to show the manager that he can be successful for us. I think he will be getting a chance to play against Celta Vigo, especially against a Spanish team and his former local rivals when he was in Coruna."
    Roeder:
    Over the last few weeks, he's been working really hard in training. You can interview him in English now. He understands.

"It's helped him integrate into the squad more. Consequently we're starting to see things you'd want to see from a player in training.

"If you look at what he achieved in Spain and what he hasn't done here, he must be frustrated.

"And he's playing a Spanish team, his local rivals, a team he would love playing against, you always look for edges, something that might just haul a performance out.

"This one might get his juices flowing."
    Luque:
    "Obviously I know a lot about Celta Vigo and they play some attractive football and like to move the ball about very quickly.

"They are all players who possess fine technique and I think it will be very difficult for us. But the way we have to look at this now is that if we get one more point we are sure of a place in the knockout stages.

"As a player you want to go out and try hard in every game.

"But because this is against a Spanish side I will regard this as a special game for me.

"I think it will be tough, but if we approach it like Fenerbahce and Palermo, we have a great chance of success.

"First and foremost I want to play as much football as possible and after that I want to do well personally to get back into the Spanish squad."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=un%2Dluque-al-%2Dcan-show-he%2Ds-not-toon-flop%2D%26method=full%26objectid=18143443%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=luque%2Ds-fired-up-to-face-old-foes%26method=full%26objectid=18145928%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

I thought Luque did quite well tonight. He should have scored in the first minute but can be forgiven for being rusty. Some of his crossing was out of this world and he managed to setup the winner. I'm still quite shocked that Roeder gave him a full 90 minutes.

Steven Taylor's first goal for the club btw, and he celebrated it like an absolute mentalist! At lest he can never be accused of lacking passion or heart. Geordie legend tbh.

kinaldo wrote:
    Steven Taylor's first goal for the club btw, and he celebrated it like an absolute mentalist! At lest he can never be accused of lacking passion or heart. Geordie legend tbh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentalism

:confused: ??? :D

He's on my list of hero's for his hand-ball theatrics!

Aye, he's been a hero of mine ever since that infamous Villa game.

Also..
    "Mentalist" is used as a derogatory term for someone who is "mental" or insane.

It was first featured in an episode of Steve Coogan's, I'm Alan Partridge. An extra layer of irony was added to the term when it was used repeatedly in the UK BBC hit The Office, parodying the tendency in office environments for workers to parrot popular comedy sketches and catchphrases.

This definition of the word "Mentalist" is now recognised in the Oxford English Dictionary.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/mentalist?method=26&initiator=answertip:more

Not that I meant it in the derogatory sense, but he went a bit nuts alright. I think he managed to do a lap of the pitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I'd just like to pop in to say that I hate you all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055019606

fade2black wrote:
    I'd just like to pop in to say that I hate you all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055019606
    Unlucky, but I did not so long ago warn people on that forum about ever betting on games involving Newcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Missed that unfortunately. Well done on tonight by the way. Must be frustrating watching that league form.

fade2black wrote:
    Missed that unfortunately. Well done on tonight by the way. Must be frustrating watching that league form.
    Yeah we always seem to be able to get impressive results in this competition. Maybe players like Bramble and Emre are just more suited to European football than the Premiership. Spurs are also looking impressive in Europe... what odds on the two of us meeting in the final I wonder?

• Advertisement

Phew!!! What a relief to finally win again in the Premiership.

We should have won much more comfortably but at least it's something to build on.

David James played a blinder and we restricted Pompey to only one chance which was early on.

Emre was my man of the match, although his set pieces were poor. His workrate really is phenomenal for such a skillful little player.

Solano was again outstanding at right back, and Dyer looked electric at times.

Martins is getting better with every game, but unfortunately will be judged on goals. Him and Dyer look like a very good partnership.

Sibierski is doing the business, can't argue with him as he cost nothing and has more than paid us back already.

The only downside was having Parker, Milner and Zoggy all crocked. Zoggy especially as he was starting to look the player he was for us last season towards the end.

Overall a very good week with a point at Arsenal, and fine wins over Celta Vigo and Pompey :)

How'ay the Toon!

Yeah was a very good performance from us! We should of won by alot more but its 3 points at the end of that day!

Solano looked very comfortable at right back and i think he should be ahead of carr because carr is shiiite!

Emre had a great game, but he frustrates me with his corner kicks! someone else should take them!

Dyer was just brilliant, if he stays fit we will do good!

Pity about the injurys, apparently n'zogbia and milner are only bangs and should not be too bad, maybe fit for next weekend, not too sure about Parker.

Martins was unlucky his goal was disallowed for offside as it was a great finish, he is getting better every game!

Now lets wrap the group up on thursday! Hopefully Luque will get another 90 min on thursday!

"Does Harry Redknapp think we are stupid? We know what he was getting at.

"And we also know why our results in the Premiership are not what we have wanted. I have been in football all my life, but at no time have I been at a club where there have been so many injuries.

"But it's not Glenn Roeder's style to moan about injuries. Nor is it his style to make adverse comments about other clubs and their managers - and Harry Redknapp should do the same.

"Since Glenn took over he has beaten Portsmouth three times, and Harry should look at his own club and keep his nose out of our business."
    "For a so-called professional to do this on the day of a match is unforgivable. And what right has Mark Lawrenson to talk about Newcastle United?

"He has not managed or played in the Premiership and when he was a manager at Oxford he was hardly a success was he? And don't forget I was at United when he came here as a defensive coach.

"It's easy sitting in a television studio and telling a manager how to manage but, as Lawrenson found out at Oxford, it's not easy when you are out there.

"Glenn Roeder will not answer Harry Redknapp or Mark Lawrenson or anyone else back because that's not his style.

"But do not take this as a weakness because after all he has been through he is mentally tougher than all of them.

Full story

You tell 'em Clarkie!

Anyone who lays into 'Appy 'Arry is a friend of mine. :D

www.nufc.com

Not cleared for take off:
    Albert desperate
    to get away!

From the official site, Wednesday:

Albert Luque escaped unhurt after a car accident on the way to the airport ahead of Thursdays UEFA cup game with Eintracht Frankfurt.

The Spanish international will fly into Frankfurt later today after the accident forced him to miss the charter flight with the rest of the travelling party.

From our man at roadside:

"....On the airport road a black Porsche Cayenne 4x4 all smashed up.

"There was a lad dressed in sports training kit, standing next to what was left of the motor talking into a mobile phone - and he looked very much like Albert Luque…"

PS - Luque has been quoted in the Spanish press talking about a possible move to Villarreal:

"My idea is far away. I do not want a loan.

"I want a permanent exit from Newcastle so I can play with calm at a club.

"Villarreal and Newcastle know my opinion and I wait for news.

"Today, a loan is not positive for me because, if I do excellently on loan, it will increase my value for Newcastle and make a sale to another club very difficult.

"In the other aspect, if things are not positive then my return to Newcastle would be in worse conditions.

"Sincerely, Villarreal are a desirable option for me but now it all depends on the two clubs to have a meeting to study the subject."

Looks like the lad really wants out now.

Pity, he really could have been a great player for us.

Roeder obviously doesn't have him in his plans and that is not good.

We will probably lose a bundle on him.

Maybe a good showing in the UEFA cup tomorrow and a few games in the premiership will make him change his mind (dillusional optimism I know!).

evilhomer wrote:

Maybe a good showing in the UEFA cup tomorrow and a few games in the premiership will make him change his mind (dillusional optimism I know!).
    Lol, I hear ya. Sometimes I still think he can become a Toon legend if only given a chance - I just remember him at Depor and he was amazing!

Maybe Alberts "Luque" has changed...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1960371,00.html
    A typically eventful morning for Newcastle United yesterday featured Glenn Roeder trying to find enough bodies to fill the plane to Germany for tonight's Uefa Cup tie, Albert Luque missing the flight having seen his Porsche written off on the way to the airport and the Belgravia group planning a potential takeover of the club saying: "We are serious."

Fortunately for Luque he had stepped aside from his car, having got a puncture and was talking on his mobile telephone when a lorry ploughed into his vehicle.
    But there is sometimes little room for sentiment in professional football and, after being interviewed by the police, the forward was told to get a later flight. "He should be here about 7pm after his mishap this morning," Roeder said matter-of-factly. When asked if Luque would be in the right frame of mind to play this evening, Roeder replied: "He's playing."

As Newcastle could field a strong XI of missing players, Roeder needs as many with Luque's sort of experience as possible. Several youngsters from the club's academy have made the journey to Germany and Roeder said: "I have to decide whether I blood two, three or even four of them. We have 10 or 11 senior players missing, seven certain starters."

One of those teenagers is a defender, David Edgar, whose father Eddie played one match in goal for Newcastle in the 1970s due to an injury crisis.

The better news for Roeder is that Newcastle have put themselves top of the group already and their Premiership fixture with Chelsea has been rearranged so there is no league match until Reading visit St James' Park next Wednesday. That gives the likes of Scott Parker and Kieron Dyer time to recuperate.

A fortnight after that comes the club's AGM in London. It might yet be historic as it could be the last annual meeting at which Sir John Hall, his son Douglas and current chairman Freddy Shepherd are the major shareholders. Belgravia has yet to submit an offer for those shareholdings but is studying the books. Given that the group's name was first confirmed officially to the stock market by Newcastle on August 21 there is considerable scepticism on Tyneside that this is a serious takeover proposition.

But a Belgravia spokesman stressed the opposite yesterday. "We are serious - if we are not serious why are we still in talks? We remain keen to do a deal. The negotiations are taking time but hopefully an offer will be made to shareholders that is acceptable and which, most importantly, will benefit the club."

Belgravia is "not fixated" by the date of the AGM, December 19, but there is a sense that it is a moment for some clarification from the club as to the state of the talks process. Once again January and the transfer window was mentioned for its strategic importance.

By then Belgravia would ideally wish to be in control, though until a senior figure among that group emerges publicly to state aims and vision there will continue to be a lack of belief in the north-east that a bid will be forthcoming.

Eintracht Frankfurt (possible 4-4-2) Proll; Rehmer, Kyrgiakos, Vasoski, Spycher; Fink, Huber, Huggel, Streit; Amanatidis, Takahara

Newcastle United (possible 4-4-2) Given; Solano, Taylor, Bramble, Ramage; Milner, Butt, Emre, N'Zogbia; Luque, Sibierski.

This may be old news to some, but not me.

I knew Freddie Shepherd was pulling the strings towards the end of Sir Bobby's reign as manager, but not in this despicable manner.

Not only that, but his judgment on players is quite shocking.

The following extract from Sir Bobby Robson's recent autobiography was posted on a nufc fans forum yesterday:
    Bolton did manage to poach Gary Speed from us, however, and therein lies another tale of how disjointed the manager-chairman relationship had become. On our tour to the Far East, John Carver suddenly informed me, 'We've had an offer for Gary Speed from Bolton.' I knew nothing about it, so I went in search of the chairman for clarification. On no account did I want Gary Speed to
    leave. First I caught up with the player himself.

'Gary, what's all this about you wanting to go to Bolton Wanderers? I know nothing about it. The chairman hasn't mentioned it to me. When John Carver told me an hour ago I was aghast. What do you want to go to Bolton for?'

'The club are going to let me go,' Gary said. 'If you don't know anything about it, you'd better see the chairman.'

'As far as I'm concerned, you're not going to Bolton Wanderers,' I told him 'You're staying here'

That Saturday night, the day of our game, I tried the chairman's room, reception, the restaurant and the bar. Eventually, I was told he was out. I was so angry I sat in the foyer, waiting, for half an hour. Finally, the chairman's figure appeared in the doorway and I confronted him there and then. Under cross examination he denied all knowledge of Gary's impending move. It was heading into the realms of farce. The next step, naturally, was to go back to Gary. I spoke to him on our flight from Hong Kong.

'The chairman says he knows nothing about this Bolton thing,' I said and left it there. We arrived back in Newcastle on the Monday morning and, early that afternoon, the chairman called me. 'Gary Speed's in here with me, he wants to see you. He wants to say goodbye,' he said.

'What?' I exclaimed.

The deal had been completed that morning. Fifty years in the game have taught me that you cannot construct a transfer in four hours. The idea that a player of Gary Speed's calibre can be sold in four hours is absurd and yet I was being told throughout the weekend that the club knew notning of Bolton's interest in one of our most valued players.

'Gary, this is not my doing,' I told him. 'I want to keep you.' Having let Hugo Viana go back to Portugal, to play more football, we had lost two left footed midfielders. I needed to plug that hole and so, when my indignation had subsided, I gave the chairman four names - Nicky Butt, Michael Carrick, Mark Van Bommel and Sean Davis.

'Why don't you bring Carrick in, he's talented, and he's a Geordie,' I suggested but the chairman was reluctant to pay West Ham £3 million for Carrick's services. His view was that he could acquire him for £500,000 in the January transfer window. Freddy Shepherd honestly believed that Carrick would not move to any Premier league club but Newcastle. He was in the last year of his contract at Upton Park - hence Freddy's belief that West Ham would have to unload him for a reduced fee in January.

I told him 'Look, chairman, if another club comes in and pays West Ham the money they're looking for, they will not turn that money down.' Michael Carrick signed for Tottenham Hotspur that summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

If a takeover of newcastle goes through is Roeder going to get the chop ?

I couldne believe any take over part would see him being the manager to deliver on thier money.

Why does Roeder keep coming out with these lies?
    The United boss said: "Albert is experienced enough not to let something like this affect him. He'll get a good night's sleep and be ready.

"We want him to have a run in the team but that is up to Albert. He has found it difficult to adjust but things are improving. He is speaking English better and communicating with his team-mates."

Full Story
    sundula wrote:
    If a takeover of newcastle goes through is Roeder going to get the chop ?.
    Hopefully, but we really have very little knowledge of this Belgravia group or what their plans may be.

P W D L F A GD PTS

1 Newcastle 4 3 1 0 4 1 3 10
    2 Celta Vigo 3 1 1 1 3 3 0 4
    3 Fenerbahce 3 1 0 2 3 2 1 3
    4 Palermo 3 1 0 2 2 5 -3 3
    5 E. Frankfurt 3 0 2 1 2 3 -1 2

Now there's a site for sore eyes!

Another clean sheet as well, although we were very lucky -

defence was all over the place at times!

Luque was really poor tonight but his replacement, Martins, created a lot.

Overall, not a good performance but I'm delighted with the result.

Unbeaten in 12 cup games now this season, and 10 in Europe :)

Newcastle were a shambles tonight. Whenever a Newcastle "striker" lost the ball in the Frankfurt half it would be down in their box in seconds. They just bypassed the midfield. I saw Emre failing to beat a player and he just stood there and watched the Frankfurt player run off with the ball. Everybody knows Newcastle have a poor defence but the problems tonight were in midfield. You'd be scared sh*tless to lose the ball if you're a striker as it could result in a goal to the opposition. :D

As for Luque, I wouldn't play him if negotiations are going on with Villarreal. I wouldn't put it past him playing badly on purpose judging by recent quotes.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Newcastle were a shambles tonight. Whenever a Newcastle "striker" lost the ball in the Frankfurt half it would be down in their box in seconds. They just bypassed the midfield. I saw Emre failing to beat a player and he just stood there and watched the Frankfurt player run off with the ball. Everybody knows Newcastle have a poor defence but the problems tonight were in midfield. You'd be scared sh*tless to lose the ball if you're a striker as it could result in a goal to the opposition. :D

As for Luque, I wouldn't play him if negotiations are going on with Villarreal. I wouldn't put it passed him playing badly on purpose judging by recent quotes.
    Parker is the biggest loss that team could possibly want, with the one possible exception being Shay Given.

eirebhoy wrote:

As for Luque, I wouldn't play him if negotiations are going on with Villarreal. I wouldn't put it past him playing badly on purpose judging by recent quotes.
    Wel, I'd rather criticise the manager than the players for playing so defensively when clearly that's not where our strenghs lie, but it's true they were a bit of a shambles tonight. I guess I've lowered my standards a lot this season too.

I'm not a fan of Nicky Butt at all, and N'Zogbia has been generally terrible this season. I can't ever see him becoming the top central midfielder we seem to have in mind for him.

I don't recall what you said about Emre but I thought he had a decent game overall, even though he should have scored. He's actually probably my favourite Newcastle player tbh, although we still haven't quite seen the best of him. I'd really like to see him being given a licence to go forward more.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Parker is the biggest loss that team could possibly want, with the one possible exception being Shay Given.
    I'd tend to agree with you although I know a lot Newcastle fans in Geordie webspace who would laugh at that statement.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote:
    I don't recall what you said about Emre but I thought he had a decent game overall, even though he should have scored. He's actually probably my favourite Newcastle player tbh, although we still haven't quite seen the best of him. I'd really like to see him being given a licence to go forward more.
    I really like Emre too but I think the bit I mentioned summed up Newcastle today. If that was Aston Villa for example and a player lost the ball very easily, there's no way he'll just stand there watching the player run off. I found it quite funny as Emre literally stood in the same spot for 5 seconds waiting to see what would happen. :)

A decent manager would get much more out of these players as you say. I'd certainly trade Newcastle's squad with Celtic's. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I really like Emre too but I think the bit I mentioned summed up Newcastle today. If that was Aston Villa for example and a player lost the ball very easily, there's no way he'll just stand there watching the player run off. I found it quite funny as Emre literally stood in the same spot for 5 seconds waiting to see what would happen.
    That's quite funny because against Pompey last Sunday he was snapping away at the heels everyone and going into challenges left, right and centre with 100% commitment. Maybe it's a home/away thing or something. I don't think they were too bothered about tonight as we were already through and likely to top the group regardless of the result.

TOON EYE UP SHEVA
    Exclusive by Ray Ryan

NEWCASTLE are considering an audacious bid to land Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko on a five-month loan deal.

Toon boss Glenn Roeder is monitoring the striker's situation after it was revealed the Blues would be willing to let him leave on a temporary basis in January.

Sheva's former club AC Milan are favourites to sign the Ukrainian, 30.

Deal

But a Geordies source said: "Newcastle are thinking of making a move for Shevchenko if Chelsea are serious about letting him go on loan.

"It's a deal which would benefit both clubs.

"It would help out the striker situation at Newcastle and allow the player to adjust to life in the Premiership without playing for one of Chelsea's title rivals."

Roeder is desperate to land new strikers next month because of injuries to Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi, while Oba Martins and Albert Luque have struggled.

But Sheva has hit just three league goals since a £30million move from Milan in May.
    http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_pages/sport/sport3.shtml

hmmm, Good old News of the World and there sensational stories.

Does the fact that Sheva and Drogba are Chelseas only two strikers not make this seem odd?

Sheva will start banging the goals in soon, make no mistake.

evilhomer wrote:
    hmmm, Good old News of the World and there sensational stories.

Does the fact that Sheva and Drogba are Chelseas only two strikers not make this seem odd?

Sheva will start banging the goals in soon, make no mistake.
    Yeah and I still can't believe that story actually made it to print :D

We'd probably end up treating him like Luque anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement