Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I don't think you need my opinion on this. Parker and whoever!
    Bale? :) (yes I know he's a left-back :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I don't think you need my opinion on this. Parker and whoever!
    Yeah I guessed that alright, but do u see the crux of the argument? Not that he's not a brilliant player, but that the team (and Emre in particular) seem to perform much better without him - meaning our captain is in serious danger of being dropped! Tbh I don't think Roeder has the balls to drop him, but we shall find out soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

kinaldo wrote:
    Yeah I guessed that alright, but do u see the crux of the argument? Not that he's not a brilliant player, but that the team (and Emre in particular) seem to perform much better without him - meaning our captain is in serious danger of being dropped! Tbh I don't think Roeder has the balls to drop him, but we shall find out soon enough.
    Why do they play better without him though? Butt would play a similar role to him, but Parker is better. It'd also be a more balanced midfield than say, Dyer--Emre.
    I don't know any Newcastle fans but I hadn't heard this arguement before.

Why do they play better without him though? Butt would play a similar role to him, but Parker is better. It'd also be a more balanced midfield than say, Dyer--Emre.
    I don't know any Newcastle fans but I hadn't heard this arguement before.
    Well there's a few things, and if you take a look at the linked thread you'll notice how shockingly anti-Parker this is becoming. Parker likes to get forward more whereas Butt stays back and allows Emre more freedom to get forward and create which is what he's best at. Parker tends to take an extra touch which slows the game down and his passing isn't that great. Butt isn't a great passer either but is more naturally defensive and complements Emre's play much better. I've never been a fan of his but I will admit his form this season has been great and kinda shows why he played so many games in a great Man Utd team. I'm biased towards Parker but I still want what's best for the team so my opinion is almost contradictory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Altough Parker and Butt play in the same position, I do think that Nicky Butt is more disiplined.

He doesn't think he has to do it all himself, he lets the forwards get on with what they are good at and breaks up play well.

Emre and Butt seem to have a good understanding of one another, which is good. If we could be certain Roeder could get Parker to play more like Butt then yeah he should comeback, but i'm not sure!!!! arrgghh!!

Dyer has always posed a selection problem when fit, he isn't really a midfielder as he doesn't get back enough and he's not really a striker either! I think either Sibierski or Milner will be sacrificed for him, although Milner could end up and right/left back!

Serious lack of depth in the defence.

• Advertisement

Ha ha even our own manager doesn't know whether Martins is left or right footed!
    Obafemi Martins has baffled team-mates as well as opposition defenders by refusing to reveal whether he is right or left-footed.

Martins has the ability to strike a ball with almost as much accuracy and power with either foot - but team-mates are determined to figure out which is his favoured side.

The Nigerian international took his goals tally for the season to eight from 16 games with a match-winning double against Watford at the weekend, but the confusion surrounding the 22-year-old's favourite foot continues.

"I know the players here cannot decide which is his favourite foot and it has been the talk of the training ground," said Roeder. "I think we all thought he was left-footed but then, when he took the penalty against Reading, he hit it with his right foot. I was as surprised as anyone and I don't think anyone knows for certain which is his best foot, which is remarkable.... more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

For what its worth I think that our best midfield partnership is duff-butt-emre-dyer. I think that we definately need some steel in the midfield and in a lot of times with emre and parker in the side we can be left a little exposed at the back! I think we should be looking at a situation where we can use either emre or parker in the same role getting forward, only not at the same time!!

Here's an account of the AGM today from someone who was there:
    Not a lot to report. Freddie was given an easier ride than I expected, but there were one or two points of interest.

He confirmed to a written question that Belgravia had started making enquiries in August, but had not yet made an offer.

I asked whether anyone else had shown any interest, and FS said that they get about ’10 enquiries a week’, and nearly all of them were unrealistic. This threw me a bit, but fortunately someone then asked if Polygon had shown an interest. He confirmed that they had, but that the accounts that they had seen were the same as were available to all members of the public, and that they were being treated no differently from other enquirers. For whatever reason, he was keen to downplay this whole issue.

Another thing that shone out was his hopes and expectations of Michael Owen. He seemed very proud of his capture, saying that he was Shearer’s replacement, and that ‘England’s No1 goalscorer’ would continue the Shearer tradition. It confirmed my impression that his understanding of the game is quite limited. I don’t think he understands how players blend as a team, and seems to pin his faith on individual star names.

Douglas Hall sat at one end of the table and said absolutely nothing. I’d been to an AGM previously and it was the same story. For the principal shareholder, that’s not good enough.
    http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,34040.0.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Salmon wrote:
    For what its worth I think that our best midfield partnership is duff-butt-emre-dyer. I think that we definately need some steel in the midfield and in a lot of times with emre and parker in the side we can be left a little exposed at the back! I think we should be looking at a situation where we can use either emre or parker in the same role getting forward, only not at the same time!!

Why not just play Parker in a more reserved role then, tell him to stay whilst Emre pushes on? Tackling and harrying is Parker's best attribute by some distance.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Why not just play Parker in a more reserved role then, tell him to stay whilst Emre pushes on? Tackling and harrying is Parker's best attribute by some distance.
    Actually that's how Souness used them and it worked quite well for the short time he remained and one of them wasn't injured. Roeder though has given Parker a licence to go forward more because he sees him as a box to box type goalscorer.

Injury update

Duff is out for tonght :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Anyone have any streams for the chelsea clash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Anyone have any streams for the chelsea clash?

Try here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

kinaldo wrote:

Its absolutley shocking where we have gone to since then, having arguably spent a good lot more on players recently than in the years preceeding those glorious days. It also brings shows what a horrible decision it was to let Robson go.

anyone get a working stream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Your managers a clown, i really feel sorry for newcastle fans having to put up with him.

Looking good so far for todays game!!! 3-1 up at half time! Hope we can hold out!!

What a win, Christmas cracker by the sounds of it! Hopefully Given is alright for Bolton and Man Utd. We just can't seem finish a game without someone getting injured it's unbelievable. Anyway... can't wait to see the highlights later.

52079 there today our biggest crowd of the season I think. I wonder if therecklessone was there... :D Atmosphere was much better than usual according to reports, which bodes well for our next home game, a sellout vs the Mancs (I got my ticket!).

Merry Christmas all!

Look away MrJoeSoap...
    Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has admitted an interest in Southampton teenager Gareth Bale as he prepares for the transfer window to open.

The 17-year-old full-back, who is attracting attention from a number of Barclays Premiership clubs, is one of two Championship players in Roeder's sights.

Derby midfielder Giles Barnes is the other.
    Roeder said: The only two players I am interested in from the Championship are Giles Barnes and Gareth Bale.

'They are two outstanding talents and the sort of players we should be looking at - and by admitting our interest, were are not giving away any secrets because a lot of top clubs fancy them.

'Barnes is an offensive midfield player and someone I would call a truly fine modern-day footballer, while it would not surprise me if Gareth Bale went on to play 100 games for Wales.'
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=397123&cc=5739

Soccernet match report:
    Tottenham were throwing everything they had at the Magpies, but getting little change from a defence comprising three youngsters and a winger.

Our defence has been pretty tight since Nigel Pearson came in and all credit to the young lads, Taylor, Ramage and Huntington for stepping up and doing such a magnificent job. Nice to see them all come through from the youth ranks although I don't really expect much out of them bar Taylor (future captain). Amazing to think Taylor couldn't get in the team earlier this season when Bramble, Moore and Carr were fit. Solano as well as been outstanding at right back. We're still desperate for a good natural left back and Gareth Bale would be a perfect addition to the defence from what I've seen and heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kinaldo wrote:
    Atmosphere was much better than usual according to reports,

The Best Fans In The World(TM) rediscovered their voice, or did we fill your stadium for you? ;)

Fortunately gave this horror show a miss, as I was at a wedding yesterday and got to my hotel bed around the time that the flight to Newcastle was leaving Dublin. Spurs were sh*te by all accounts, we can have no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

MrJoeSoap won't be too happy about that :p

I think personally that Ramage will make a very good centre-half, not the fastest but brave and reads the game very well.

We should really be looking to bring in 2-3 palyers in Jan. We have played more games then any other team in the premiership this season and we won't last the pace without some reinforcements.

A powerful striker to get on the end of a few crosses would be good to have. Klose has been mentioned but I don't think he will go to anyone not in the Champions league.

There is talk of us going after Huntelaar! He would cost a few quid, but is the kind of player we need to be looking at.

Bale and Parker on the same team... Hmmm.

Wouldn't be the worst place he could go, I'll say that much. Fairly sad that we seem pretty much resigned to losing him though.

Fúcking Bolton. SJP repeat - Newcatle outplay them for 30 minutes and take the lead only to crumble and concede two stupid goals.

Oh well, I didn't expect anything from this game tbh. With Solano injured our defence consistred of four centre backs no less, and all of them kids!

Edgar making his debut, Huntington his third or fourth start, Ramage playing his first season... thank fúck for Steven Taylor! At least our kids are gaining some Premiership experience which can only be positive.

I haven't seen the goals yet but I don't know why Roeder chose Srnicek ahead of Krul. I thought Srnicek was our 4th choice but maybe he just wanted some experience in front of our back four.

Hopefully we can bounce back at Goodison and then beat the Mancs. Pray that Solano and Given recover in time...

kinaldo wrote:
    I thought Srnicek was our 4th choice but maybe he just wanted some experience in front of our back four.

Shouldn't your keeper be behind the back 4? Maybe thats why you conceeded two stupid goals...;)

Shouldn't your keeper be behind the back 4? Maybe thats why you conceeded two stupid goals...;)
    haha you almost got me there, it depends on which side they're facing and you're looking from of course

Cool funky kit worn by Newcastle today for the first time this season. I wasn't too keen on the jersey at first but seeing the kit there as a whole it looks really nice I think. Same colours last seen in 95/96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Got into work this morning and checked out the various sport sites..
    Shock!! Horror!!! Toon interested in Peter Crouch..£12 million..
    Are Shepherd and Roeder insane for thinking of spending that money?
    And secondly on Peter Crouch?
    Do Newcastle really want to go the long ball route? Because make no mistake..if we sign Peter Crouch that's the way we'll be playing it..
    It was an embarassment to watch one game where Harper was lampooning the ball up the field for Rossi to get onto..all 5ft ?in of him..

It's that time of year again so here are my votes for Newcastle (subject to editing following our game at Goodison tomorrow):

1) NUFC Player of 2006

Shay Given - who else? magnificent as always

2) NUFC Young Player of 2006

Zoggy last season, Taylor this season

3) Best game of 2006

Chelsea 1-0 at SJP on the final day last season because we needed to win to qualify for Europe.

4) Worst game of 2006

So many but losing 1-0 at home to Sheffiled United was probably our lowest moment. Also our pathetic performance at Old Trafford this season.

5) Best NUFC Goal of 2006

Probably Scott Parker v Charlton (A)

6) Best goal conceded in 2006

I can't remember.

7) Favourite Alan Shearer moment of 2006

Battering the Arsenal defence in our 1-0 win at SJP last season although I think that may have been in late December so in that case his last game for us and penalty against the Mackems at the Stadium of Light.

8) Best atmosphere at SJP in 2006

I'm guessing this game

9) Best away game of 2006

4-1 at Sunderland

10) Best opposing player in 2006

Drogba

• Advertisement

Another overall poor festive period for the Toon, with only 4 points and more injuries - Nicky Butt, our best player for the past month, was set to play in central defense yesterday but for a late injury, surprise surprise!

Some of the performances from our academy kids against Spurs and Man Utd were more than promising though, and Taylor in particular is now really starting to excel. A reliable and experienced partner for him would be great. The atmosphere at SJP was electric at times yesterday so let's hope we can carry that and the scarf waving into the new year and turn the place into a fortress.

We have just under 2 weeks to get reinforcements in for our next league game, a daunting trip to White Hart Lane. I find it hard to believe we have another £12m to spend but if those reports are true then we should be able to land a few decent players. Bale, Upson, Campbell, Viduka, Kanu and Darren Bent all look like realistic possibilities (off the top of my head anyway)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Were in a decent enough position, we have the potential to beat nearly anyone we come up against we just need some consistency and more stability at the back.

Amazing statistic from nufc.com

21st January 2006:

Newcastle lie 14th in the Premiership, having taken 26 points from their 22 league games, winning 7, losing 10 and drawing 5. Their goal difference is -5; their top scorer has 7 goals.

One match later and we'd sacked our manager.

2nd January 2007:

Newcastle lie 14th in the Premiership, having taken 26 points from their 22 league games, winning 7, losing 10 and drawing 5. Their goal difference is -5; their top scorer has 7 goals.

Thats really crazy.

Doesnt look like we have much to look forward to in the transfer window! Roeder says he's looking for loan deals! God souness really messed the club up! I blame him for all the dough he wasted on us!!!!

Hang on a sec...

When are Newcastle fans going to take a reality check? Every time Freddie Sheppard parades another big big signing at SJP you turn out in your thousands, and Freddie congratulates himself on another 100k jerseys sold. Meanwhile, himself and the board bleed the club dry, mortgaging its future to pay CL wages and transfer fees, with no realistic chance of playing in the premier competition in the short to medium term.

Souness messed the club up? The only true flop he signed was Boumsong, Luque's not set the world alight but thats as much to do with Roeder as it is to do with his predecessor. Yes, he erred in relation to Bellamy, and the Toon lost a valuable asset in the process, but he also brough Emre, Parker, Solano and Owen to the club (your fans were happy to ignore the latters injury problems when he was welcomed as the saviour of NUFC)
    Salmon wrote:
    Doesnt look like we have much to look forward to in the transfer window! Roeder says he's looking for loan deals! God souness really messed the club up! I blame him for all the dough he wasted on us!!!!

Not looking to have a pop at you or Toon fans in general, but there's part of the problem at your club...not happy with a few loan signings, always wanting money spent, and on big names too. Antoine Sibierski is a case in point, plenty of criticism when he was signed but he's weighed in with 6 goals for the team this season (one less than Owen, who cost about £12m more). Loan signings not good enough for you? Bet you'd take Woodgate on loan in a heartbeat. Glen Johnson and Vincenzo Montella are two other players who've been loaned to PL clubs who'd make a difference as well.

As long as Newcastle fans continue to demand big name signings, Sheppard will continue to deliver exactly that. Easy to do when you're borrowing in someone elses name and still taking your piece of the pie each year. Stop demanding an instant fix and look for a settled and stable squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Freddy must be scaring off potential investors too. I see talks about a purchase have stopped. He likes his power to much.

Hang on a sec...

When are Newcastle fans going to take a reality check? Every time Freddie Sheppard parades another big big signing at SJP you turn out in your thousands, and Freddie congratulates himself on another 100k jerseys sold. Meanwhile, himself and the board bleed the club dry, mortgaging its future to pay CL wages and transfer fees, with no realistic chance of playing in the premier competition in the short to medium term.

Souness messed the club up? The only true flop he signed was Boumsong, Luque's not set the world alight but thats as much to do with Roeder as it is to do with his predecessor. Yes, he erred in relation to Bellamy, and the Toon lost a valuable asset in the process, but he also brough Emre, Parker, Solano and Owen to the club (your fans were happy to ignore the latters injury problems when he was welcomed as the saviour of NUFC)

Not looking to have a pop at you or Toon fans in general, but there's part of the problem at your club...not happy with a few loan signings, always wanting money spent, and on big names too. Antoine Sibierski is a case in point, plenty of criticism when he was signed but he's weighed in with 6 goals for the team this season (one less than Owen, who cost about £12m more). Loan signings not good enough for you? Bet you'd take Woodgate on loan in a heartbeat. Glen Johnson and Vincenzo Montella are two other players who've been loaned to PL clubs who'd make a difference as well.

As long as Newcastle fans continue to demand big name signings, Sheppard will continue to deliver exactly that. Easy to do when you're borrowing in someone elses name and still taking your piece of the pie each year. Stop demanding an instant fix and look for a settled and stable squad.

I think you can understand when we had criticism for Sibierski, we were expecting a player of higher calibur but now we realise that Glenn made a great decision in bringing him in, fair play to him, im not looking for big name signing in this window, if Glenn can find players who can do the job and give 100% like Antoine then im happy.

Newcastle's transfer policy under Shepherd has always been a bit of a joke. The one certainty is Roeder won't be allowed to spend big on full backs. We're just as likely to go out and sign Torres tomorrow as we are in investing in a few defenders, or nobody at all.

Saw a rumour on an NUFC chat forum that an announcement was expected today or tomorrow about the proposed takeover bid! Has anyone else seen anything about this lately?

Salmon wrote:
    Saw a rumour on an NUFC chat forum that an announcement was expected today or tomorrow about the proposed takeover bid! Has anyone else seen anything about this lately?
    Yeah I saw that but I never pay any attention anymore to rumours I hear on internet forums. Once bitten twice shy.

For anyone who's remotely optimistic about getting a result a WHL on Sunday this should put a dampener on it:
    Ref: Steve Bennett - third appearance of the season for this Kent-based clown, after the Everton and Sheffield United home games.

It's now 12 games since we won a game that he refereed:

2000/01 Birmingham (a) lost 2-1
    2000/01 Spurs (a) lost 2-4 (Dyer & Solano off)
    2001/02 Man U (h) won 4-3
    2001/02 Chelsea (h) lost 1-2
    2002/03 Birmingham (a) won 2-0
    2002/03 Villa (a) won 1-0
    2002/03 Spurs (h) won 2-1
    2002/03 mackems (a) won 1-0
    2003/04 Wolves (a) drew 1-1
    2003/04 Charlton (a) drew 0-0
    2004/05 smogs (a) drew 2-2
    2004/05 Chelsea (h) lost 0-2
    2004/05 Arsenal (h) lost 0-1
    2004/05 Spurs (a) lost 0-1
    2005/06 Arsenal (a) lost 0-2 (Jenas off)
    2005/06 Pompey (a) drew 0-0
    2005/06 smogs (h) drew 2-2
    2005/06 Chelsea (a) lost 0-1 (Elliott off)
    2006/07 Everton (h) drew 1-1 (Bramble off)
    2006/07 Sheff Utd (h) lost 0-1

Notable transgressions against us recently include the Fat Eddie Murphy handball goal at the Riverside in 2004, the rescinded red card against Jenas at Highbury in 2005 and the blatant cheating by Shaun Wright Phillips that saw Elliott walk at Stamford Bridge last year.

And let's not forget the January 2001 farce at White Hart Lane, when we were hit with two red cards and two penalty awards.

The Dyer red card in particular is worthy of mention, the Newcastle man felled in full flight on goal and then sent off for abusing the linesman for failing to raise his flag to indicate the clearest of fouls.

Travel: The Back Page have a very limited number of places remaining on their coach transport to White Hart Lane. Call in at the shop on St.Andrews Street or call them on 0191 261 5005 if interested.

GNER travellers face another weekend of disruption thanks to essential Network Rail engineering works.

Buses replace trains between Grantham and Newark on both Saturday and Sunday, meaning extended journey times in both directions.

http://www.nufc.com/
    I remember never getting to see the goals from that 4-2 defeat but if memory serves me correct then Dyer and Solano also converted a penalty each before their dismissals. Martins will however continue taking penalties for us despite this right foot/left foot hit n' miss thing he's got going on. I can see lots of goals in this one but little joy. Thankfully I'm usually wrong.

• Advertisement

Going to be a tough game alright, we must attack attack attack! No sitting back!

Going to be a tough game alright, we must attack attack attack! No sitting back!
    Agreed, we should try to take advantage of the absence of Ledley King.

I said there would be goals but didn't quite expect that! I'm so happy and proud to be a Newcastle fan right now. No Parker or Emre but with players like Solano, Martins, Dyer and Butt (yes Butt!!!), then you always have a chance. Always sweet doing the double over Spurs, and our last 2 league wins now have come at their expense. If only we could play them every week...

:D

Im just amazed after that performance, the character shown by our players is just brilliant. With parker and duff coming back, we are going to look even stronger. Parker and Butt has to be the centre partnership from now on.

Any highlights uploaded on youtube yet? I didnt see em'

Dont know, just watch skynews or skysports news for the goals. Martins' was a screamer.

Emre Belozoglu has claimed he will quit English football if he is banned by the Football Association for using racist language.

The Turkish midfielder has been charged by The FA with 'using racially-aggravated abusive and/or insulting words'.

The charge arises from Newcastle United's 3-0 defeat to Everton on 30th December and stemmed from an incident when Emre appeared to wave an imaginary card at Leon Osman.

He vehemently denies the accusations and has threatened to leave the Premiership, if he is suspended by The FA.

"I didn't say anything, but I am being painted as a bad boy," Emre is quoted in the News of the World.

"If I get a ban, I will quit England. I will walk away.

"I'm not the kind of person I am being made out to be. I can't even speak English that well.

"I have never had any problems like this with another player in any game and I would never make a racist comment about anyone."

Emre has an ally in Glenn Roeder, with the Newcastle manager insisting he would not stand for any signs of racism from his players.

Roeder said: "It has really upset Emre. We have black players in the team and in the squad, and we are all together, we are all the same.

"I would not tolerate anyone who showed any sign of any racism."
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=441516&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Emre+makes+quit+threat

I'd be well gutted if he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

hmm..this is the 3rd time he's been accused of racism..no smoke without fire.
    As for his threat to quit England..I reckon it's a ploy to move to Bayern or something else..

For much happier news what a result yesterday again the spurs!!!!
    Shay Given again MotM..if Freddie sells him for 5 million to Arsenal in the summer I'd walk to Newcastle and kick his ass...Shay's easily worth 15+million these days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Heading over to my first Newcastle game this Saturday January 20th. I've supported them since 1994 but never went to a match before.
    It's Newcastle vs West Ham so we should looking at all three points.

Flying back to Dublin the same evening so it's only a day trip.
    Alas, I'm going on my own as all my friends are broke after Christmas and we won't get paid until the end of the month.

Anyone else going over? If not, can anyone let me know if it's ok to buy tickets on the morning of the match or should I book a ticket today.
    I was kinda of shocked at the prices on the website. I don't realy want to pay.£52sterling for a match ticket
    Can you please let me know what are good value seats in the stadium and a good pub I can go for a hour before the match?

Thanks a mill.

micmclo wrote:

Anyone else going over? If not, can anyone let me know if it's ok to buy tickets on the morning of the match or should I book a ticket today.
    I was kinda of shocked at the prices on the website. I don't realy want to pay.£52sterling for a match ticket
    Can you please let me know what are good value seats in the stadium and a good pub I can go for a hour before the match?

Thanks a mill.
    I would be surprised if it's sold out by match day but I'd buy a ticket now just to be safe. There's not really much choice left seating wise but Milburn Level 7 is said to have the best atmosphere outside the Gallowgate and tickets in that section are £39. Prepare youself for 15 flights of stairs though! There's also tickets left in the Sir John Hall west corner for £32. I'd definitely go with the Milburn Stand. The Strawberry pub opposite the Gallowgate end is legendary but always packed on match day so if you want to get a drink be sure to arrive early. Also, I can't speak highly enough of the steak and kidney pies at St. James', I'd go back for them alone!

Anyway, here's hoping we complete the double over another one of those pesky London teams. Hope you enjoy yourself, let us know how you get on, win, lose or draw...

• Advertisement
Advertisement