Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sat nav

Options
  • 20-08-2006 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

hi, im looking for some advice on buying satellite navigation for my car, whats the best make to go for, dose it show all the roads in ireland ( like rural roads ) any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you need one for Irish roads, I think you need to make sure it uses the Navteq mapping. Sony for example use Navteq maps on their Satnav device.

There is another map system that has poorer Irish road coverage, I think it's used by Tomtom.

This link should interest you:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054965766

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

this is the one i was looking at, would you recommend it? i seen it here http://www.mysatnav.ie/default.asp?x=Offer

Airis Navigator with Q2, 2006 NAVTEQ map data

The Airis T920 with Route 66 Navigate 7 is the first naviagation system to offer the very latest Q2, 20006 NAVTEQ map data - an on-line offer exclusive to www.mysatnav.ie.

The map data is the most up to date available for the country and as you would expect countains the latest major road upgrades including the new M4 Toll to Kinnegad, street-level mapping for all cities, towns and villages and most, if not all, minor roads throughout the country.
    100% mapping for Ireland & UK
    Based on Q2, 2006 NAVTEQ map data
    3.5" TFT LCD Touch-screen
    Voice instructions
    SiRF III integrated GPS antenna
    Internal lithium-ion battery
    Points of Interest; Hotels, Restaurants
    SD/MMC card slot (up to 2GB)
    MP3 player
    Car charger, windscreen mount, stylus
    Our Offer: €359.00 incl. Vat
    ** Now In Stock **

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

pm. wrote:
    this is the one i was looking at, would you recommend it? i seen it here http://www.mysatnav.ie/default.asp?x=Offer

Airis Navigator with Q2, 2006 NAVTEQ map data

The Airis T920 with Route 66 Navigate 7 is the first naviagation system to offer the very latest Q2, 20006 NAVTEQ map data - an on-line offer exclusive to www.mysatnav.ie.

The map data is the most up to date available for the country and as you would expect countains the latest major road upgrades including the new M4 Toll to Kinnegad, street-level mapping for all cities, towns and villages and most, if not all, minor roads throughout the country.
    100% mapping for Ireland & UK
    Based on Q2, 2006 NAVTEQ map data
    3.5" TFT LCD Touch-screen
    Voice instructions
    SiRF III integrated GPS antenna
    Internal lithium-ion battery
    Points of Interest; Hotels, Restaurants
    SD/MMC card slot (up to 2GB)
    MP3 player
    Car charger, windscreen mount, stylus
    Our Offer: €359.00 incl. Vat
    ** Now In Stock **

Excellent unit..Highly reccommended.Have one myself and its a joy to use.It has one of the best screens ive seen.Very bright, crisp and has anti glare coating.It of spanish origin so i guess thats why,considering the bright days over there.

Go get one.For that money you will love it...and you`re getting the latest maps as a bonus.These maps have to be seen to be believed.

eirlink wrote:
    Excellent unit..Highly reccommended.Have one myself and its a joy to use.It has one of the best screens ive seen.Very bright, crisp and has anti glare coating.It of spanish origin so i guess thats why,considering the bright days over there.

Go get one.For that money you will love it...and you`re getting the latest maps as a bonus.These maps have to be seen to be believed.

ok so i got my sat nav last week and im well impressed, every road seems to be on it, i drive about 1000 miles a week around the country and ive yet to see a road not on it, if your going for sat nav i recommend the airis as eirlink says it has to be seen to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Here is the Airis 920 with full European maps for €277 including delivery from DHL 24/48hrs with Route 66 Navigator 7 software.
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/322094/art/airis/gps-navigator-t920-europe.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Boden

Seems like an even better steal with pixmania...

Colly are you purchasing?!

Wondering if any difference (other than the price!!) between the units mysatnav.ie & pixmania are offering? maps are as upto date etc.

Colly wrote:
    Here is the Airis 920 with full European maps for €277 including delivery from DHL 24/48hrs with Route 66 Navigator 7 software.
    http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/322094/art/airis/gps-navigator-t920-europe.html

wow seems like a great deal, just make sure the maps are q2.

pixmania may be cheaper but consider the following

1 THEY MAY NOT BE Q2 2006
    2 exposure to customs may be a possibility
    3 where do you go for map updates in a years time
    4 The operating system is in spanish!..so when the system crashes ( which it will ) you get an on screen message
    in Espanol...no point in ringing pixmania then looking for an amigo to help you.

and by the way im not connected to mysatnav or any other retailer in any way

Still a good price for the unit with europe maps......worth considering.I buy lots of stuff online but chose to shop in Ireland for my unit so as to be able to avail of map updates easily.i like to pop into the shop with the SD card and walk out 10 mins later knowing ive deffo got the latest...that just me.

Sony NAV-u gps selling at moment has old maps.seen one yesterday which did not have the M4 Toll on it and the M4 only went west as far as kilcock.These are brand new units with Q4 2005 maps on board.We rang up and they said bring it back to the shop and they would download hte latest maps.If we did not ring Sony we would be none the wiser.Its terrible that people buy these units in "good faith " that there getting the best for their money at time and trust everything is as up to date as possible.When the maps are available why not have the units up to speed?

So if you but the sony nav-u,check it before you leave that it has the toll on the M4.

By the way A good acid test for Q2 maps( latest) is to see if bundoran bypass in donegal is on it ....if it is youre ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

Eirlink... if i bring back my Nav-U to the Sony Centre where i bought it, they will put the Q2 06 map on it?

mine has the Q4 05 map. I only got it a few weeks ago and was considering returning it as it did not have the claimed 100% coverage of Ireland.

• Advertisement

eirlink wrote:
    pixmania may be cheaper but consider the following

1 THEY MAY NOT BE Q2 2006
    2 exposure to customs may be a possibility
    3 where do you go for map updates in a years time
    4 The operating system is in spanish!..so when the system crashes ( which it will ) you get an on screen message
    in Espanol...no point in ringing pixmania then looking for an amigo to help you.

and by the way im not connected to mysatnav or any other retailer in any way

Still a good price for the unit with europe maps......worth considering.I buy lots of stuff online but chose to shop in Ireland for my unit so as to be able to avail of map updates easily.i like to pop into the shop with the SD card and walk out 10 mins later knowing ive deffo got the latest...that just me.

Answers : 1) It states Q2 2006 maps on the site for the sat nav system
    2) We live in Europe and as it is a French company there is no customs in Europe.
    3) Not sure about Airis but garmin, allow you to buy them from the web and they ship it to you can't imagine it being much dissimiliar for Airis. The shops in Ireland are just selling on behalf of Airis when the warranty runs out it is irrelevant where you bought it.

4) they are selling the system with European maps and there is a menu to choose the language, just like your mobile phone. Save 100Euro is what I say bought lots of things of pixmania they have an irish site and they are in Europe so you are covered by European law. Not affiliated either just like not getting ripped of by living in Ireland. I am sure anyone can pop into the shop and they will let you update your maps.

Boden wrote:
    Seems like an even better steal with pixmania...

Colly are you purchasing?!

Wondering if any difference (other than the price!!) between the units mysatnav.ie & pixmania are offering? maps are as upto date etc.
    I am going to buy got some money for my birthday towards it. But I am going to buy the garmin nuvi 310 with all the European maps. I am going to buy it on pixmania as I have had nothing but good money saving experiences with them. I think it is over 600 in Ireland and just 494euro on the web. No customs, you have the usual 30day or something cool off period where you can get your money back no questions asked. I think they brought that law into Europe for online purchases as people were coming in locked buying stuff and running up huge bills. So have the same rights buying from any European company as you have in Ireland.
    Anyway some people like walking into a shop and buying something straight away for what ever price. I have been in shops and asked to look at stuff I saw online the brand spanking new stuff and they havent even heard of it in peats or Dixons or they just sell the sony brand. So when it does make it to Ireland it is still top dollar but a few weeks if not months online so it has dropped online already.

So to answer your question no not getting Airis want to wait for Garmin maps to update to 2006 navteq data and then buy it from whichever site is cheapest online and is based in Europe with a good track record. Where that site could change when I do a search around when the maps come out.

But yeah evaluate all your options and if it suits ya go for it. Eirlink is right walking into a shop and getting what ya want straight away has a price associated with it. But having said that call the shop and ask to update you maps sure they won't say no especially if they are going to make a few quid out of you. Or order them from the manufacturer online might be the whole of Europe update for the same price as the shop in Ireland is giving you for just Ireland and UK. But as this site says it ships with Q2 maps so there will be no need to update for a few months if not a year.

Colly wrote:
    2) We live in Europe and as it is a French company there is no customs in Europe.
    3) No sure about Airis but garmin, allow you to buy them from the web and they ship it to you can't imagine it being much dissimiliar for Airis. The shops in Ireland are just selling on behalf of Airis the warranty runs out it is irrelevant where you bout it.

4) they are selling the system with European maps and there is a menu to choose the language, just like your mobile phone. Save 100Euro is what I say bought lots of things of pixmania they have an irish site and they are in Europe so you are covered by European law. No affiliated either just like not getting ripped of by living in Ireland. I am sure anyone can pop into the shop and they will let you update your maps.

Colly
    I did not see the part reggarding the Q2 maps on the site but if its the case then thats good.I also take your point on the customs.
    Just to clarify the point about the language:
    The operating system is Windows CE and its loaded in spanish.The route 66 software package has a menu choice on boot up ....dont confuse the two.operating system error screens appear in spanish.im not saying this is the case with pixmania but it may be.pixmania may be french but Airis are spanish.
    Im still not convinced that the map updates are available online.If so could you post the link?

Anyway,it seems a bargain if all you say is true.I`d like to hear from someone who gets one from pixmainia.Well spotted.

ffocused wrote:
    Eirlink... if i bring back my Nav-U to the Sony Centre where i bought it, they will put the Q2 06 map on it?

mine has the Q4 05 map. I only got it a few weeks ago and was considering returning it as it did not have the claimed 100% coverage of Ireland.
    Call into the shop where you bought it and ask them to resolve the issue as the product was sold with 100% coverage and it does not have the right software. So they sold you something different that what you thought you were buying they should assist but I guess the young staff will be scratching there head as they won't know what software you are talking about so a manager will have to be called then or maybe before calling into the shop contact sony support and say you have proof of purchase and it has the old maps when it states 100% can you forward the maps to ya or can they suggest what you do to resolve this as.

ffocused wrote:

if tis the swords shop you should be ok.I know someone who got it done.Seemingly you should get the disk as well as getting the shop man to update the unit there and then.Just check it before you leave.

Try your case and stick to your consumer guns.good luck

eirlink wrote:
    Colly
    I did not see the part reggarding the Q2 maps on the site but if its the case then thats good.I also take your point on the customs.
    Just to clarify the point about the language:
    The operating system is Windows CE and its loaded in spanish.The route 66 software package has a menu choice on boot up ....dont confuse the two.operating system error screens appear in spanish.im not saying this is the case with pixmania but it may be.pixmania may be french but Airis are spanish.
    Im still not convinced that the map updates are available online.If so could you post the link?

Anyway,it seems a bargain if all you say is true.I`d like to hear from someone who gets one from pixmainia.Well spotted.

I am just trying to apply logic to saving the money. I have bought electronics off them before and not had problems with reboots but they havent been sat nav systems you will find lots of boards saying where to buy sat nav systems cheap online so maybe they will be able to assist with answering bi-lingual reboots, but to be honest it wouldn't stop me as I am sure windows CE can be set to boot up with English or it is a case of clicking an icon to launch the GPS software. I cant imagine it being brain surgery to get the system to boot up as they try and make that a yes no process even with a PC.

Maybe google this device online in relation to reboots and see if people are having difficulties with it. Call the shop and ask them do they supply map updates for all airis products or do you have strict criteria as to who gets the update.

Seems Garmin are on the fence regarding release dates for Q2 mapping.They will not be drawn on a release date either by phone or email.according to my sources its looking like Jan 2007 although there is a new product (660) in production at moment which when released will surely carry Q2 or later.Im still betting on early 2007 but hope im wrong for anyone waiting.

The operating system is loaded at production stage with the spanish language set as default.In the box is a Route 66 disk and branded SD card with the program AND the maps pre loaded ( on the SD card,that is);unless the user inserts the SD card not even the Route 66 software will run.when inserted the unit boots up the software and at this stage the choice of language is asked for:this is user definable.this ONLY sets the language for the R66 software package.the operating system is locked and therefore is not available to the end user.

I had this confirmed by their distributor here who is in contact with them to get it changed for Irish models.

Also,the model available here with european maps does not have an MP3 player

eirlink wrote:
    The operating system is loaded at production stage with the spanish language set as default.they then load Route 66 onto the unit as a software package.;this is user definable,however the operating system is locked and therefore is not available to the end user.

I had this confirmed by their distributor here who is in contact with them to get it changed for Irish models.
    Anyone any experience with buying a satnav system abroad and operating system issues/understanding problems???

I am going to wait for the garmin map updates sure it will give me a chance to save for it as garmin a dear products :(

I am prepared to buy online as I don't believe it will be a big issue but will defo do some research on it before buying. But if there selling to Ireland they will have to take that into account and if not as I say you can return it no questions asked before a month is up as per European consumer law which they will be bound by (think it is called a cool off period) Same for catalogue companies as you dont see the product till you buy it they allow you to return it easily with few questions like Argos do. I am sure you will be able to make the system crash before then and get your money back if it is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

eirlink wrote:
    if tis the swords shop you should be ok.I know someone who got it done.Seemingly you should get the disk as well as getting the shop man to update the unit there and then.Just check it before you leave.

Try your case and stick to your consumer guns.good luck

I rang Sony Centre in Tallaght and thy said i would have to go to Peats to buy a map update!!!

Rang Sony service and am getting the map update cd posted to me:D :D
    You have made my day Eirlink, as i am very happy with the unit but was going to return it for the poor coverge.Thank you very much.

Anyone else with a Sony Nav-U the number to call is 01 4131771. it puts you through to the UK customer services dept.

• Advertisement

ffocused wrote:
    I rang Sony Centre in Tallaght and thy said i would have to go to Peats to buy a map update!!!

Rang Sony service and am getting the map update cd posted to me:D :D
    You have made my day Eirlink, as i am very happy with the unit but was going to return it for the poor coverge.Thank you very much.

Anyone else with a Sony Nav-U the number to call is 01 4131771. it puts you through to the UK customer services dept.

Glad to be of service....enjoy!

Colly wrote:

I had another look on the pixmania page you linked to and still cant find a reference to Q2 maps? where do i find it?

eirlink wrote:
    I had another look on the pixmania page you linked to and still cant find a reference to Q2 maps? where do i find it?
    I can't find it myself now but I am nearly certain I saw it somewhere. They are out of stock and getting more in soon it seems, so can't imagine them not having the Q2 maps. I called the support line and she said in the description of the product it says for maps that they send you a link to download the maps so this would be a recent update I am sure. I asked if I could get the link to see what version of the maps it is and she said they only send it out after you buy it. But as I say you can return it if you can't get the Q2 maps, if I were buying it I would say you have a very good possibility of getting the Q2 maps on it as they were just bought from the manufacturer and they give you a link for updates. If my guess is wrong I would just return it, all depends on what people want themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

RE: the AIRIS GPS navigator T920 Europe on Pixmania..

Wow, Wow and Wow again,

This is the one and only for the price. Amazing user interface accompanied with quality maps. Ireland has been left in the dark for far too long, and now at last we have the maps to beat the band.. Navteq Q2 Maps 2006. Awesome....

Rock on the
    AIRIS GPS navigator T920 Europe

It can also slip into your pocket for

Review taken from the pixmania site... Now where's the GF's credit card so i can order one :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ryane

Hi,
    I was just wondering whats the main difference between:
    1 - Airis Navigator + Route 66 Navigate 7
    2 - Route 66 Chicago 6000

They are selling for the same price on mysatnav.ie and i want to buy one of them. I am mainly looking for just ireland map.

Advertisement