Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girlfriend maybe pregnant

• 20-08-2006 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question...

Girlfriend has missed period by.. 16 days today... she doesn't want to take a test because she says that will make her more nervous...

How many days until i can be almost certain shes pregnant?
    I need to start making plans if she is...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

If her period is late by 16 days - make her take a test and you can decide what to do from there. It's unwise for her to put it on the backburner simply because she doesn't want to know or admit it to herself.
    Buy the test yourself for her - it's hard for young girls to do and she will appreciate it and you can put your minds at rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Ok she can test by the day her period is due

if she is pregnant it will definately show up now

stress and worrying about it can delay the period

do a test. its better to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

OP,

I've had a pregnancy scare & worrying about being pregnant prevented my period arriving....ask your girlfriend to take a test ASAP as the results would be as accurate as you are going to get (infact a test such as ClearBlue Digital will even tell you "pregnant" or "not pregnant" so no faffing around imagining faint lines!). Ignoring the late period & being worried sick is not going to help anyone, your gf is best to find out the result and work out what she wants to do from there....best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ive tried believe me... shes insists that she doesn't want to take the test maybe because she doesn't want to accept what might be true :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You infortunately can't make her.
    True the sooner you know what is going on the sooner you can make plans and prepare yourselves for what is to come.
    I would suggest buying a kit and sitting down and haveing a chat with her about what the options are for the both of you in your lives.

http://www.positiveoptions.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Quick question...

Girlfriend has missed period by.. 16 days today... she doesn't want to take a test because she says that will make her more nervous...

How many days until i can be almost certain shes pregnant?
    I need to start making plans if she is...

take a test.

more nervous. stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Is she taking any form of contraception? the pill can delay periods and the pill alternative that is placed under the skin can stop periods altogeher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Just tell her you both need to know.

if she is pregnant (and go thorugh with it of course) this time is crucial for baby's development. She needs to get a check up. she needs to take folic acid etc

Are you both young? how would she feel if she was, have you discussed it yet?

reassure her that no matter what the result is you will be there for her.

put her mind at ease a little to know that someone is on her side if she is scared of parents reaction etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

She should take the test to find out. Stress can make her late. You cannot make her take it, but you can encourage her in a loving way to put that behind you both, and then to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 magnum69

if your gf's menstruation is regular, even a day missed would indicate she's probably pregnant...get the test asap!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Ignoring it will not make it go away. She has to find out once and for all and then weigh up her options. If she is considering keeping the baby, like someone said, she needs to be looking after herself and taking folic acid etc. If she is considering a termination, the earlier the better and the less traumatic it will be for her. It is quite feasible that the worry of it all could be delaying menstruation but no point in pretending that the problem doesn't exist. Hope it works out for you guys, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

take a test.

more nervous. stupid.

Exactly.

If she is pregnant, it needs to be dealt with. 16 days is pretty late. Buy the test yourself, they're all the same (especially at 16 days late) so get the cheapest one and ask her to use it. It will make it easier to pee on the stick if she doesn't have to go and buy it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The longer ye put off taking this test, the more you end up depriving yourself of time to sort out what ye are going to do.

Worrying about a pregnancy that may or may not exist is just silly. You need to know one way or another so that provisions can be made.

Also, if you keep on putting this off and off, the positive/negative result that may appear on a pregnancy test will be less reliable, as the levels of the hCG hormone that these tests detect will start to drop off and get lower the longer a pregnancy is established (there is an initial surge and steady climb of levels before they start to plummet, so testing late could give you a false negative). Basically, a woman who is perhaps 15,16 weeks pregnant (using that figure as an example, the actual gestation this could happen at is considerably lower) could take a pregnancy test and it would show up negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Abstract

Oh thats a horrible feeling to have.It happens alright.It could be just stress delaying it?Is there anything else you can think of that could be bothering her?
    Oh and good luck bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Abstract wrote:
    Oh thats a horrible feeling to have.It happens alright.It could be just stress delaying it?Is there anything else you can think of that could be bothering her?
    Oh and good luck bud.

She says shes always been regular... ive convinced her to take a test if she doesn't have it by next week... today is like 17 days

The only stress i can think of is starting college again but i cant see that as being too stressful :S

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well I mean its possible one could entirely miss a period for a calendar month due to stress. Plus without the test you wont know anyway. I mean the only reason she doesnt want to take a test is because it will make it more real, but it essentially boils all the worry down to one unnerving act and three minutes of waiting. I reckon u have to convince your GF to take a test, just buy it and give it to her, tell her its time to be sure.....

Advertisement