Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep well pump gone ?

Options
  • 20-08-2006 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Pump inside my well has been playing up for weeks , however now no water is pumped to the reservoir in my shed, hence no water in the house. No fuse has blown. I guess the pump has just died.

3 Questions :
    • Can it be something else ?
    • The last time I had trouble and we thought the pump needed replacing I was quoted 1000 Euro.Is this a fair price for parts and labour ? I currently have a 0.55 kW pump , but was advised by my electrician to get 1 kW. The depth of the well is around 150 ft.
    • Does anyone know a good plumber for this type of work in the North West Meath area ? I am asking since I am not quite sure the crowd that has been servicing my water installation
    are the right ones based on the frequency I have had trouble.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There are a differences between deep and shallow well pumps, the cost difference is not that big between the two.

Have you checked the foot valve at the bottom of the pipe or pipes depends on the type of pump some have one pipe while most have two afaik.

Had to fit one not too long ago so the price looks in the ball park.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Yes I have checked the valve.
    The reason I asked about the quote was my electrician who told me I should get the pump myself as it would cost me max 300 euro.. But then again, I have no idea what kind of pump I need and to be honest I am not even a 100 % sure it is the pump and not something else...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

maybe it's a bit obvious but have you checked the bladder in the tank you have. You should be able to find a car pump connection on the tank somewhere and it should be reading 18 psi.
    The bladder may have ruptered.

Also the spring mechanism that triggers the pump might be faulty. Take off the plastic cover and adjust it with a screw driver to see if it kicks in.

Advertisement