Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing called a wireless PIR for a wired alarm?

Options
  • 20-08-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

The house I'll be getting shortly will be pre-wired for an alarm, but I just noticed yesterday that there was no privision for a wire in the hallway where there are 2 velux windows that I could put a PIR. All the windows & doors are all pre-wired to take the sensors. I was going to install an Aritech CS350 as I'm very familiar with their use & installation, but I want to have detection in the hall as there is a possible entry point with the velux windows.

Is there a PIR I can get that can be used wirelessly remotely and I could interface the receiver section back at the panel? I don't fancy running a cable along the walls from the panel site to the PIR location. Any other options for me? How do wireless alarms work anyway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Lex Luthor wrote:
    The house I'll be getting shortly will be pre-wired for an alarm, but I just noticed yesterday that there was no privision for a wire in the hallway where there are 2 velux windows that I could put a PIR. All the windows & doors are all pre-wired to take the sensors. I was going to install an Aritech CS350 as I'm very familiar with their use & installation, but I want to have detection in the hall as there is a possible entry point with the velux windows.

Is there a PIR I can get that can be used wirelessly remotely and I could interface the receiver section back at the panel? I don't fancy running a cable along the walls from the panel site to the PIR location. Any other options for me? How do wireless alarms work anyway?

Not my area of expertise but wondering why/how u would put a pir in the hall, can u have it wired through the E/E zone so as it wont fire when u open the front door?

I use the aritech sensors on the velux like an ordinary window.

In terms of wireless alarms, the eircom fone watch ones that i have taken apart have aritech internals c/w a battery and a little transmitter to get the signal back to the main control panel, so maybe u can get a wireless expander for the CS350. would be interested as I have a 350 myself:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could get the Aritech or Visonic quickbridge receiver. The receiver will cost about 80 and the same for the pir.
    You could do a lot better than the cs350. If you are familiar with aritech have a look at newer aritech stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Jnealon wrote:
    You could get the Aritech or Visonic quickbridge receiver. The receiver will cost about 80 and the same for the pir.
    You could do a lot better than the cs350. If you are familiar with aritech have a look at newer aritech stuff
    how does the quickbridge receiver work? I can't find an Aritech website either. I'll be back up there on Sat so I have to check what way they wired the loops and what is dropped to each window/door. I'm a bit annoyed they let this slip through the loop, but if there is a spair pair of wires in the cable going to the side door, I would be able to use them but I'd be forced to run the cable on the inside wall for a few feet to the PIR. Failing that, it sounds like this quickbridge is the only option.

The receiver has 8 N/C inputs and you wire each zone to it the wireless pir then trips the input. It's just like wiring up a normal zone. It runs off the aux 12vdc

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/emea/aritech/residential/rxi4n8.htm

Jnealon wrote:
    The receiver has 8 N/C inputs and you wire each zone to it the wireless pir then trips the input. It's just like wiring up a normal zone. It runs off the aux 12vdc

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/emea/aritech/residential/rxi4n8.htm
    Thanks for that...looks like what I need....expensive way of doing it for the sake of them not running one more cable, but has to be done. Are the PIRs, then battery operated? Do you know anywhere in Dublin/Kildare I can get these?

Am I right in saying that for each of the N/C inputs, I wire each one of these inputs to a separate zone in the alarm panel in series with the EOL resistor? So at the moment I am only requiring one device to be wireless, but the possibility is there to expand in the future, however the CS350 only has 6 zones. I might get further use out of it as I'm not exactly sure what way they dropped the wires to each doors & windows, but it looks like they put the front door & windows in the same loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Madness to spend that kind of money on a wireless contraption.

It's easy to cable a PIR via the E/E loop so it doesn't go off the moment you come in. Don't forget you'll need an extra pair for power from the box

Reyman wrote:
    Madness to spend that kind of money on a wireless contraption.

It's easy to cable a PIR via the E/E loop so it doesn't go off the moment you come in. Don't forget you'll need an extra pair for power from the box
    Reyman, I've thought about going that route, it will all depend on what way the wires are looped together. I have a funny feeling they included the 3 doors together with the windows. If that's the case, I wouldn't be able to arm the house at night on the perimeter and not have the PIR on. Unless they have used 4 or 6 core cable all round. I'll find out next Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I have a funny feeling they included the 3 doors together with the windows.

Sort that first, otherwise a guy gets right into your house through the window before the alarm goes off.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Thanks for that...looks like what I need....expensive way of doing it for the sake of them not running one more cable, but has to be done. Are the PIRs, then battery operated? Do you know anywhere in Dublin/Kildare I can get these?
    Wesco in Nass, IGT in Lucan or Gardiners in Ballymount, but ring to confirm they have them before you make the trip.
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Am I right in saying that for each of the N/C inputs, I wire each one of these inputs to a separate zone in the alarm panel in series with the EOL resistor? So at the moment I am only requiring one device to be wireless, but the possibility is there to expand in the future, however the CS350 only has 6 zones. I might get further use out of it as I'm not exactly sure what way they dropped the wires to each doors & windows, but it looks like they put the front door & windows in the same loop.
    Correct.
    Sounds like it might be wired for an astec:mad:
    You could use dual eol save on the wires.
    You could wire up a pir and contact with just a 4 core cable usind dual eol

I got to check out the wiring at the weekend.

3 zones.

1) All doors
    2) Front windows
    3) Bedroom & bathroom windows

I have also figured out a way of using the 2nd pair of wires in the 3rd zone to run a cable from the bathroom window out through the wall above the bathroom door and to connect a PIR on the other side of the wall in the hall to cover the velux windows. At least this way the wire isn't visible in the hall in plain view but only in the bathroom.

Does anybody have any suggestions for an alarm? As mentioned already I am familiar with the CS350, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

• Advertisement

anyone any suggestions for alarm other than CS350?

The cs350 is a bit dated. HKC make a good reliable no frills panel. Any of the newer aritech panels or you could wait until Europlex launch their new Signet panel. I would try and avoid astec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I have a HKC alarm and would like to add a wireless PIR and contact for the shed if possible. No wires were run in for it so wireless it'll have to be - are there any particular models I should look for?

Jnealon wrote:
    The cs350 is a bit dated. HKC make a good reliable no frills panel. Any of the newer aritech panels or you could wait until Europlex launch their new Signet panel. I would try and avoid astec
    is there a specific HKC model I should look at?

Ya, the CS350 is dated, but does exactly what it says on the tin. However, the main panel is a bit large and I would like to keep it as discreet as possible.

the 8/12 should do the trick. It comes with 8 zones and can be expanded to 12. The panel itself is bigger than the cs350, about the size of a fuseboard, maybe a bit smaller. The new aritech range has a small panel enclosure

Jnealon wrote:
    the 8/12 should do the trick. It comes with 8 zones and can be expanded to 12. The panel itself is bigger than the cs350, about the size of a fuseboard, maybe a bit smaller. The new aritech range has a small panel enclosure
    I'd rather keep the panel smaller than the cs350....is there a website I can see the full aritech range, cos I can't find one anywhere

Advertisement